New message on screen

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Videonut
Master

New message on screen

Post by Videonut » Wed Oct 16, 2019 14:28

I got this message when I turned my T2 on just now. I don't know what it's about or how to fix it but I suspect that it might have to do with the fact that OpenWebIf isn't working because /ajax/movies isn't working.

I ran the 5 step Network test any all got a red tick.

I also suspect that my 3rd tuner isn't working. How do I check this?
Attachments
BW message.jpg
Beyonwiz V2,TCL TV, Chromecast with Google TV, Samsung Blu-ray player, Harmony Remote,650.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Re: New message on screen

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Wed Oct 16, 2019 14:49

Perhaps a loose ethernet cable connection between your T2 and your switch/router.
I'm not positive the 5-step network test actually does much.
However, I'm sure the MENU>>Information>>Network display does, as it attempts to ping the time servers and google.com.

For the USB tuner, check MENU>>Information>>Devices; does it show there? If so, what is listed against Tuner C?

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Oct 16, 2019 15:54

That error message most likely indicates that either (or both) the IP address and the netmask for the PVR is 0.0.0.0.

Most likely, either the network interface has been set for manual setup and not configured, or it's been set for automatic configuration using DHCP and that setup has failed.

A faulty network cable connection (if in fact you're using wired internet, you didn't say) will cause failure of DHCP, but if you've set manual configuration, the search for network shares will fail, but not at that point.

When I do the network test with the Ethernet cable disconnected (and DHCP for the interface setup), I get a tick on the first (LAN adapter) test and the third test (DHCP). If you're getting red crosses on all tests, it may be a more fundamental problem than just a bad, or badly connected, Ethernet cable.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Videonut
Master

Post by Videonut » Thu Oct 17, 2019 13:04

I have unplugged and replugged in the 3RD tuner but as you can see from the photo it isn't listed. Does this mean that it's dead?

I'm guessing that this isn't impacting on the T2 to produce the first photo I posted on this thread?
Attachments
Beywiz info.jpg
Beyonwiz V2,TCL TV, Chromecast with Google TV, Samsung Blu-ray player, Harmony Remote,650.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Oct 17, 2019 13:09

Videonut wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 13:04
I have unplugged and replugged in the 3RD tuner but as you can see from the photo it isn't listed. Does this mean that it's dead?
Did you power down before unplugging it. The T2 can't use a tuner that has been "hot plugged". You need to reboot before it will be detected.

You can plug the tuner into a PC to see if it is detected there. If it isn't picked up there, then it is most likely dead.

You can also try unplugging the tuner and plugging a USB tumbdrive into that same USB port and see if the T2 detects that.
If the T2 can't see the USB drive, then the port might be dead.
Videonut wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 13:04
I'm guessing that this isn't impacting on the T2 to produce the first photo I posted on this thread?
It might be a symptom of the same problem. If your T2 has a hardware fault, it is possible that both the USB ports and the network port have been knocked out of action.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Videonut
Master

Post by Videonut » Thu Oct 17, 2019 13:48

I had told the T2 to reboot first and it asked if I wished to cancel a recording first. I checked the movie folder & confirmed that nothing was being recorded. So I rebooted but nothing changed.

I plugged it into PC and got Windows sound but could not see any new drive pop up. This could just yet another problem with Windows. I tried it a few more times and one time I think it flashed something about media and then it was gone again. I plugged it into front of T2 and checked sources as well as MENU>>Information>>Devices but again nothing.

The T2 also has a cat cable going to a PC.

Could any of this have a impact as to why I can't use OpenWebIf? When I try to use it it says it can't connect & timed out. Can the address change?

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Thu Oct 17, 2019 14:37

Shut down the T2 to deep standby. Plug the USB tuner in (if it's not already connected). Boot the T2. Once the GUI has finished loading, check for Tuner C in MENU>>Information>>Devices. You want to see that it's present and its of DVB-T or DVB-T2 type. Restart the GUI if it's not DVB-T/T2.

Did you check the USB port with a thumb drive as MrQuade suggested?

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Oct 17, 2019 15:13

Videonut wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 13:48
I plugged it into PC and got Windows sound but could not see any new drive pop up. This could just yet another problem with Windows. I tried it a few more times and one time I think it flashed something about media and then it was gone again. I plugged it into front of T2 and checked sources as well as MENU>>Information>>Devices but again nothing.
You won't get a new drive as it isn't a storage device.
You'd need to check your device manager to see if it appears as a TV tuner.
(Right Click "My Computer", select Properties, then Device Manager)

The fact that it made a noise when you plugged it in is encouraging.
Videonut wrote:
The T2 also has a cat cable going to a PC.

Could any of this have a impact as to why I can't use OpenWebIf? When I try to use it it says it can't connect & timed out. Can the address change?
Does it go *straight* to your PC, or does it go via a router or switch first.
If it isn't going via a router, then it won't get an automatic address via DHCP, and it would instead need to be configured with a manual IP address. If this has been working in the past though, it must have been configured correctly at some point.

If the address is automatically assigned, then yet it can change, but this is not what has happened here. The T2 doesn't have an address at the moment, which is why it is saying that the eth0 (network) is unconfigured.

In any case, yes, if the network interface on the T2 isn't configured or working, then there is no way for you to bring up OpenWebIf.

Videonut
Master

Post by Videonut » Thu Oct 17, 2019 16:42

I previously had reported that I had plugged the USB tuner into front of the T2.
USB driver error.JPG
USB driver error.JPG (47.75 KiB) Viewed 1875 times
Device Manager reports as shown. The NT667 is referring to my TV that doesn't connect to PC as I didn't know how to set it up.

The Home Network Gateway was probably what I had seen flash by earlier.

As for OpenWebIf I had created a short cut on my PC to it as well as my Phone & tablet. It had been working & I have even seen that some program was on TV that I hadn't added to the timer so I added it from these other devices.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Oct 17, 2019 16:52

Videonut wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 16:42
I previously had reported that I had plugged the USB tuner into front of the T2.

USB driver error.JPG

Device Manager reports as shown. The NT667 is referring to my TV that doesn't connect to PC as I didn't know how to set it up.
Ok, so it sees it as an unknown device. I can't actually recall what the tuner should do in a Windows PC, if Windows can find drivers on its own or if you need to manually install them to get it to be recognised.

The real test will be to plug a USB storage flashdrive into the T2 to see if it is detected properly.

Or was this paragraph:
Videonut wrote:
talking about a USB drive and not a tuner? You refer to "it" several times and are not explicit about what "it" is. I assumed earlier that it was the tuner.
Videonut wrote:
As for OpenWebIf I had created a short cut on my PC to it as well as my Phone & tablet. It had been working & I have even seen that some program was on TV that I hadn't added to the timer so I added it from these other devices.
Open up the network adaptor settings on the T2 and let us know what is in there.
Also, the cable connection, can you confirm if that was indeed straight to your PC, or does it go through a router?

Does the Ethernet port "light up" when the cable is plugged in? Or is it dark?

Videonut
Master

Post by Videonut » Thu Oct 17, 2019 17:48

The it was referring to the 3rd tuner for the T2.

I have also left the same tuner in the PC to see if it got a driver installed after it rebooted but it didn't.

I took a different USB stick that had some MP4 files on it,plugged it in the front port of T2 and it played OK.

When I look at Network LAN settings I see that both choices here are set to yes. As for the right hand portion of the screen the Current Settings for the IP address displayed here isn't the same as Openwebif reports. Should they both be the same?

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Oct 17, 2019 18:02

Videonut wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 17:48
When I look at Network LAN settings I see that both choices here are set to yes. As for the right hand portion of the screen the Current Settings for the IP address displayed here isn't the same as Openwebif reports. Should they both be the same?
Is the IP address a 169.254.xxx.xxx type address?
If so, then this means that the T2 was unable to get an IP address from your DHCP server. So I assume that your T2 is connected to a router (which will be your DHCP server).

If your DHCP server is responding and giving out an address, your T2's IP address will be a 192.168.xxx.xxx type, or a 10.xxx.xxx.xxx type.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Thu Oct 17, 2019 18:23

MrQuade wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 16:52
Videonut wrote:

USB driver error.JPG

Ok, so it sees it as an unknown device. I can't actually recall what the tuner should do in a Windows PC, if Windows can find drivers on its own or if you need to manually install them to get it to be recognised.

In my Win10 PC, the Beyonwiz MINI DVB®T USB tuner shows up as "WinFast DTV Dongle Dual Device" in Device Manager, and as "DVB-T TV Stick" in the Bluetooth or other device settings screen.

In Device Manager the ITE driver is listed - so Win10 knows of it.

Possibly Videonut's tuner is knackered.

Videonut
Master

Post by Videonut » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:05

My IP address has changed. The last part was 110 now it says 4.

I have no idea as to how this happened but I now have the Beyonwiz app and OpenWebIf working.

The 3rd Turner still isn't working.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:07

Videonut wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:05

I have no idea as to how this happened but I now have the Beyonwiz app and OpenWebIf working.
You can avoid this in future by referring to it by its name instead of its IP address. The name will follow the address if it changes.
eg.
http://beyonwizt2/
Videonut wrote:
The 3rd Turner still isn't working.
It's likely buggered then based on Grumpy_Geoff's successful test.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:33

Videonut wrote:

Most likely, your device's DHCP lease for that address expired and it was assigned a new DHCP address by the router. Many routers allow you to mark a DHCP MAC Address -> IP address mapping as permanent, and the device will then have a fixed IP address assignment, but still use DHCP to set the device address. The MAC address is the Ethernet adapter's hardware address.

That can be very useful if your are using the Beyonwiz's Samba server to share files to another Beyonwiz.

If your router supports local DNS names for your Beyonwiz devices, then you can also use the device names (and even assign a different one if you like) as MrQuade suggests.

Support for those features is variable between routers. For example, the Huawei HG658 router iiNet supplied me for the iiNet-owned VDSL2 network in Canberra supports neither (so it was put back in its box soon after I got it).
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Videonut
Master

Post by Videonut » Fri Oct 18, 2019 13:03

I have noted the suggestion to change my IP address to a name. I tried it but to do so takes much more space on my Browsers bookmarks.

I read somewhere that some people access their Beyonwiz from anywhere, even overseas? Is that all it takes just keying in this same IP address? I also note that the site is flagged as not being secure, is this a problem?

I think that the consensus is that the 3rd Tuner is stuffed and would need to be replaced. If this is the case then its probably just out of warranty.

Some of the suggestion involved plugging it into my PC? If it was properly recognized does this also make it possible to use it to record onto a PC?The reason is because I used to have a ComPro dual tuner card in old PC that I could record on.

Well it's time to look and see why I'm having problems with an older Topfield.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Oct 18, 2019 13:14

Videonut wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 13:03
I have noted the suggestion to change my IP address to a name. I tried it but to do so takes much more space on my Browsers bookmarks.
You should be able to rename the label of the bookmark to anything you want. Behind the scenes it will be http://whateveraddresstyouactuallyuse, but you can make it show up as "WizT2" or something else nice and short.
Videonut wrote:
I read somewhere that some people access their Beyonwiz from anywhere, even overseas? Is that all it takes just keying in this same IP address? I also note that the site is flagged as not being secure, is this a problem?
You can expose the Wiz web interface directly to the Internet, but its probably not the safest thing to do security wise (even with a strong password and secure connection enabled). It's always possible that the web server on the Wiz is not invulnerable to hacking.

A more secure option would be to host a VPN server on your own network to allow you to remotely access your whole network from a remote PC or mobile device. Many decent Internet routers will let you host your own VPN.
VPN setup can start getting a bit tricky if you can't do it on your Internet router, so that might be a topic for another thread.

As for the same IP address for external access, no. The address that your T2 has is only visible to devices on your network. That address does not exist on the Internet (or technically *shouldn't*). The address you would access is your router's Internet address. That address is the one that is assigned to your router's WAN port by your ISP. Every time you connect to the Internet, that router IP address will change, which makes contacting your home network problematic. This is why you would also need to set up a "Dynamic DNS" account so that you can give your home network a "name" and that name will automatically update to point at your router's Internet IP address even if it changes.
Videonut wrote:
Some of the suggestion involved plugging it into my PC? If it was properly recognized does this also make it possible to use it to record onto a PC?The reason is because I used to have a ComPro dual tuner card in old PC that I could record on.
The USB tuner is just a regular TV tuner device like your ComPro card. With the right software, you can set up the PC to display and record TV quite happily. Windows used to come with the Windows Media Centre software, that let you do it all using native Windows tools.
There are probably several commercial products to do this as well, and in fact, you probably had a small CD that came with the T2 and its tuner which would have had some very basic recording software on it.

There are also many ways of tackling PC recording with free software, but they usually involve installing a TV server backend, and then a display frontend like MythTV or Kodi. Again, this is all fun and games for tinkerers, and can start getting complicated.

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Fri Oct 18, 2019 15:01

MrQuade wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 13:14
There are also many ways of tackling PC recording with free software, but they usually involve installing a TV server backend, and then a display frontend like MythTV or Kodi. Again, this is all fun and games for tinkerers, and can start getting complicated.

NextPVR is self-contained. I use it as a standalone in a desktop PC. It can also be used as a back end for Kodi and Emby. so pretty versatile. I'm pretty sure Mediaportal is also self-contained, I used to run it on an HTPC, but it is much more complicated to set up, although easier to configure for the IceTV EPG. I'm happy enough with the FTA EPG capability built into NextPVR, and in any case both applications only allow for a once-a-day EPG update.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Oct 18, 2019 15:05

raymondjpg wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 15:01
I'm pretty sure Mediaportal is also self-contained, I used to run it on an HTPC, but it is much more complicated to set up, although easier to configure for the IceTV EPG.
Ahh ok, my info is a bit out of date on that one. Looks like they have tied things together a bit better since the last time I played with it.

Videonut
Master

Post by Videonut » Mon Oct 21, 2019 13:23

The Compro Tuner card is a Video-Mate DVB-T300. I think it was for digital SD broadcasts only and as such should just be disposed of. Correct?

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Mon Oct 21, 2019 14:10

There is no such thing as an SD-only DVB-T tuner. A DVB-T tuner just receives the data.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Oct 21, 2019 15:10

The tuner itself attaches to a PCI bus, so it will be useless in a modern computer.

Videonut
Master

Post by Videonut » Tue Oct 22, 2019 15:56

So that makes it about as useless as my 3RD tuner.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Oct 22, 2019 23:08

Videonut wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 15:56
So that makes it about as useless as my 3RD tuner.

A cheap replacement for the non-working USB tuner can easily be found on eBay.
You want a USB tuner dongle with the RTL2832U demodulator chip and either the R820T or R820T2 tuner chip.
Avoid any with a Fitipower FC0012 or an Elonics E4000 tuner chip (no driver support on the Wiz for those).
Examples -
$15.81 https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/174062478556
$12.09 https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/293032379272

Return to “General Topics”