T4 reboots after a few minutes

Moderators: Gully, peteru

sddawson
Master

T4 reboots after a few minutes

Post by sddawson » Tue Oct 15, 2019 21:21

I have a T4 that has started to spontaneously reboot. I can leave it untouched playing live TV, and after 3 or 5 minutes it will just reboot. Are there any logs I can look at? Hardware/HDD fault?

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Re: T4 reboots after a few minutes

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Oct 15, 2019 22:32

Rebooting or restarting the GUI?

There won't be anything that persists over a reboot, unless you've enabled debug logging

To enable debug logging, see this post.
If you're on the 19.3-series beta firmware (20190630 or a subsequent release) then you can also enable debug logging in the 'System' setup section.

I think though that if it's a hardware fault then there won't be anything in the debug log.

Do you know how to access the command line?
If so, we could create a script to capture the messages log file every 10 seconds and keep copies for the last few mins or so, to ensure it persists.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:59

Are there any crash logs present (default log location is /home/root/logs)?

What are the termination codes listed (if any) for those relevant restart times in file /home/root/logs/enigma2_execution.log?
You can use File Commander (MENU>>Sources / Files) to view it and/or copy it.

If there's no 'enigma2 terminated with code {n}' entries listed for the relevant times, then I think that means the GUI/enigma2 didn't exit and the T4 rebooted.

sddawson
Master

Post by sddawson » Wed Oct 16, 2019 18:53

Thanks for taking the time to give me those tips, and apologies for taking so long to reply - I've been away from the T4.

I had the T4 powered completely off overnight, and have just cranked it back up. I immediately cleaned up the hard drive. There were lots of instances of the same recording, because a recording was being attempted every time the box rebooted. I also cleaned up a lot of old recordings. So far it hasn't rebooted. I'm certain it was doing a full reboot, judging by the front panel, Also, according to /home/root/logs, enigma was only starting during the period of the reboots. I do run the series2folder plugin, and I'm not sure if that was causing any problem.

I am noticing a degree of pixelation. Signal strength and quality can both be 100%, then I can get some pixellation and they drop to 0% momentarily. Don't know what's going on there either!

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Wed Oct 16, 2019 20:29

The tuner voltage regulators are failing and the motherboard near them may be damaged. Get your unit repaired.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

sddawson
Master

Post by sddawson » Wed Oct 16, 2019 21:14

Oh dear, another Beyonwiz box bites the dust then! I’ve lost count of the number of units I’ve had repaired over the years. I love the functionality of these boxes, but the reliability really doesn’t seem good! Thanks for the suggestion.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Wed Oct 16, 2019 21:50

sddawson wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 21:14
Oh dear, another Beyonwiz box bites the dust then! I’ve lost count of the number of units I’ve had repaired over the years.

Take a look at the tuner regulators.
Turn off the power to the T4 at the wall. Wait 30 mins, then take off the cover and have a gander at the regulators.
Any brown/black ooze, see prl's mess in the post here.
My mess is shown in these pics -
https://ibb.co/GVd0q45
https://ibb.co/gDBmcGc
https://ibb.co/NmwHsrz

Return to “General Topics”