Loss of picture when changing channels / recordings

Moderators: Gully, peteru

JasonBB
Master

Loss of picture when changing channels / recordings

Post by JasonBB » Mon Oct 07, 2019 13:46

Hi guys,

Ive had the U4 for a few months now and I have a really frustrating problem, every time I change recordings / stop recording back to live TV / exit the player / change channels it goes to a black screen and brings up the spinning wheel for about 4 seconds, the box seems to respond in the background if I hit delete after stopping a recording.
I was wondering if it has something to do with the TV, I upgraded to a Samsung 4K TV and don’t seems to remember the problem before the change but I cant be certain.
Samsung QA75Q75RAWXXY, Beyonwiz U4, Denon AVR-X4300 Amp, xBox One, Control4 automation.
LA32R81BDX & Beyonwiz S1 in the bedroom.

JasonBB
Master

Re: Loss of picture when changing channels / recordings

Post by JasonBB » Mon Oct 07, 2019 13:55

How do you upload a video? Ive tried .mov and .mp4, both come up with invalid file extension.
Samsung QA75Q75RAWXXY, Beyonwiz U4, Denon AVR-X4300 Amp, xBox One, Control4 automation.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Oct 07, 2019 14:43

JasonBB wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 13:55
How do you upload a video? Ive tried .mov and .mp4, both come up with invalid file extension.

ZIP them.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Oct 07, 2019 14:44

JasonBB wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 13:55
Video files are likely to be too big to upload anyway. If you need to share a video then you can use a file sharing service, or a video platform like Youtube.

Having the spinner appear is a sign that the CPU is taking too long to finish doing something in the background which is delaying the GUI from being refreshed. Seeing as this is happening on channel changes and media player operations, must mean that the CPU hog is more or less constant.

Runaway Autotimers can soak up CPU time.
The miniDLNA server could be using a lot of CPU if it is indexing a massive media library.
Perhaps a fault HDD connection could be causing large numbers of IO retries and tying things up? (not sure on that).

Can you post any logs from your Wiz?
Or can you access the command line and run "top" to see if there are any processes that are chewing up all your CPU time?
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

JasonBB
Master

Post by JasonBB » Mon Oct 07, 2019 16:51

Hi guys, here is the link to the video.
https://youtu.be/vcb_MWsULEA
How do I go about getting the log files?

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Oct 07, 2019 17:20

The spinner that appears on the TV when (I think) you exit the media selection list back to the TV isn't the standard spinner from the Beyonwiz firmware. Have you changed the Beyonwiz spinner?

If it's a spinner in the TV's firmware, I'm not sure why that would be happening.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Oct 07, 2019 17:35

prl wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 17:20
The spinner that appears on the TV when (I think) you exit the media selection list back to the TV isn't the standard spinner from the Beyonwiz firmware. Have you changed the Beyonwiz spinner?

If it's a spinner in the TV's firmware, I'm not sure why that would be happening.
I think you are right there.

This looks like the TV is simply re-syncing the HDMI signal from the Wiz.

JasonBB, have you configured the U4 to switch resolutions automatically?
You will see the screen blank out for a few seconds whenever the U4 changes resolution or framerate.
If you are seeing this on channel changes and when playing recordings, and you have automatic resolution enabled, it would suggest that your settings are not quite set up correctly (Ideally, you don't want to set it up so that the U4 switches resolutions just because you switched from a SD channel to a HD channel for example).

Check the U4's AV settings, and see if automatic resolution is enabled. if it is, I would suggest you disable that for now and just set up one fixed resolution and a 50Hz refresh rate.

If the problem goes away, you can either simply change the refresh rate to "multi" rather than 50Hz, or re-enable automatic resolution and then set up all the resolution options to values that don't trigger unnecessary resolution switching.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

JasonBB
Master

Post by JasonBB » Mon Oct 07, 2019 19:22

Thanks guys,

That was an easy fix, I turned auto resolution off and that’s sorted it.

Return to “General Topics”