T4 keeps crashing my new LG tv

Moderators: Gully, peteru

forest351
On probation

T4 keeps crashing my new LG tv

Post by forest351 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:36

Has anyone had any issues with there beyonwiz causing there LG tv to crash out to black screen or freeze , Volume loss .I have just purchase a new LG 49SM8100 television and it has been doing really wierd stuff from crashing to black screen ,freezes,volume loss, data only errors .at first i thought it was a crook tv so got the local LG repair tecnician out to inspect and found CPU crashes in logs on tv ,so replaced main board.Still doing the exact same thing so LG replaced my tv with another brand new one and you wouldnt believe it ,its doing the exactly same thing. Have disconnected my T4 and Telstra TV from LG and its stopped. reconnected telstra tv and was all good for a week then reconnected T4 and bang crashed that day.Have replaced HDMI cable and still no joy.
Any ideas what i can do would be much appreciated

prl
Wizard God

Re: T4 keeps crashing my new LG tv

Post by prl » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:51

I have a T4 connected to a new (few months old) LG OLED55C9PTA, but it goes via a HDMI connection to a Sony BDV-9200W HT system.

I haven't had any crashing problems with the TV, though I haven't been able to make ARC (Audio Return Channel) work from the TV to the Sony HT system.

I do have a component connection direct from the T4 to the TV, and that is very flaky, with lots of video dropouts for no apparent reason. The component connection is so that I can do firmware upgrades and tests on the T4 when the HT system is being used or something else.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Sep 23, 2019 13:12

forest351 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:36
Any ideas what i can do would be much appreciated
Could be an electrical problem between the two since there shouldn't be anything the T4 can do digitally to have that sort of effect on the TV.

Is there anything unusual about your antenna setup at all? Any amplifiers or similar in the system?
As an experiment, you might want to try plugging the T4 into the TV, but leaving the T4 unplugged from the antenna.
Or vice versa, plug the T4 into the TV and antenna, but leave the TV's antenna connection unplugged.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

forest351
On probation

Post by forest351 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 16:02

at present i have T4 unplugged from Tv by just removing HDMI cable but is still connected to aerial as it still recording fine and i watch on a T2 in another room from wired network. everything is fine. ?
Must be just a $h?t* LG tv

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Sep 23, 2019 16:11

forest351 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 16:02
at present i have T4 unplugged from Tv by just removing HDMI cable but is still connected to aerial as it still recording fine and i watch on a T2 in another room from wired network. everything is fine. ?
Must be just a $h?t* LG tv
Ok, so my suggestion for the test would be to pull the antenna out of the TV and reconnect the T4 to the TV via HDMI.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Wed Sep 25, 2019 00:33

prl wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:51
I do have a component connection direct from the T4 to the TV, and that is very flaky, with lots of video dropouts for no apparent reason.

If it is the problem I suspect, then you will find that the dropouts are more likely on very bright screens with high contrast. For example, a mainly white screen with a bit of text, like an advertisement. It's a hardware issue on the T4 analogue video output filter. Wrong value capacitors. The fix is to bypass them. However, that would not cause the OP's issues.

It doesn't matter what the T4 is doing, the TV should not crash. Worst case scenario should be the TV ignoring the T4 input. If you can, test the T4 against another TV brand. If the T4 works with a different TV, then I suggest that you get LG to replace the problematic TV with a different model or get a refund and buy something else. In-fact, you may want to replace that LG model regardless of that test. I'd be wary of a TV that crashes when another device is connected. To the point of being worried about safety - the wrong type of firmware crash on the TV could even cause a fire.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Sep 25, 2019 09:48

peteru wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 00:33
prl wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:51
I do have a component connection direct from the T4 to the TV, and that is very flaky, with lots of video dropouts for no apparent reason.

If it is the problem I suspect, then you will find that the dropouts are more likely on very bright screens with high contrast. For example, a mainly white screen with a bit of text, like an advertisement.

I hadn't noticed any particular context apart from it sometimes seeming to happen when there are changes in the T4 overlay screen used by the UI. I'll see if I can pick any pattern (and then maybe start a new topic).

I never had the same problem with the similar use of component on our old TV.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Return to “General Topics”