Audio is off the rails

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Videonut
Master

Audio is off the rails

Post by Videonut » Tue Sep 03, 2019 00:03

I am having problems with playback volume on my T2. I used to think that what we heard started with the volume that started with the TV and that you then juggled the button on TV or T2 until you got what you wanted but now because the audio is almost nothing or blasting you out of room.

The TV often falls me when I press volume up/down to change headphones setting so I have tried turning setting on/off even there are no headphones. I can playback some recordings and they are either too loud or soft. Is the playback settings apply to all recordings individually. I iam wondering because some I can't hear and other way too loud. I have seen some settins for volume and the same setting in plug Inc's.

The TV also has under audio several settings that use jargon I'm unfamiliar with as well.
Beyonwiz V2,TCL TV, Chromecast with Google TV, Samsung Blu-ray player, Harmony Remote,650.

prl
Wizard God

Re: Audio is off the rails

Post by prl » Tue Sep 03, 2019 09:27

I'm having problems decoding that first paragraph. The usual recommendation for setting volume is to set the Beyonwiz volume control high (at or nearly at maximum) and leave it at that, and then do all the volume vontrol in the device that's electrically closest to the speakers (the TV in your case).

I'm not really sure how to decode the second paragraph, either. Are there issues with the volume when you switch between using the headphones connected to the TV and using the TV speakers?

In the third paragraph, if you said what jargon you were having problems with, I'm sure someone would be able to help, but it's hard to help when the problem isn't known.

Saying what make and model the TV is may also help people to help you with the issues.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Sep 03, 2019 16:55

Videonut wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 00:03
The TV often falls me when I press volume up/down to change headphones setting so I have tried turning setting on/off even there are no headphones. I can playback some recordings and they are either too loud or soft. Is the playback settings apply to all recordings individually. I iam wondering because some I can't hear and other way too loud. I have seen some settins for volume and the same setting in plug Inc's.

What plugins?

Set the T2 volume at 95% level.
Try a different HDMI cable between your T2 and TV.
Try a different HDMI port in your TV.
Turn off your TV at the wall, and turn it back on again after a few mins.

Videonut
Master

Post by Videonut » Wed Sep 04, 2019 13:42

The TV is a model TCL 70P10US I have contacted them re software updates etc.

I don't have a headphone or a sound bar, yet I'm asked on screen to change volume settings. I still don't know why I see that.

This TV has 4 HDMI in ports.

I have swapped the HDMI cable & used suggested settings & now have everything appearing to be working correctly. I think that the main source of problem may have been the auto volume plug in settings which were incorrectly set. This was found under settings plugin's, the second item down.

Thanks again for the help
Beyonwiz V2,TCL TV, Chromecast with Google TV, Samsung Blu-ray player, Harmony Remote,650.

Videonut
Master

Post by Videonut » Wed Sep 04, 2019 13:53

I should have also mentioned that I see both the TV & the T2 have spdif optical connections. Would I be better off using this type of connection or just present more problems?

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Sep 04, 2019 14:38

Videonut wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 13:53
I should have also mentioned that I see both the TV & the T2 have spdif optical connections. Would I be better off using this type of connection or just present more problems?
HDMI sound will generally be the better option. There may be some special cases where switching to optical will be an advantage (say if your audio equipment chokes on multi-channel PCM audio), but otherwise, you are better off with the extra functionality of HDMI.

(Audio return channel or ARC is another matter entirely, and it can often be better to go for optical rather than try to rely on the inherently unreliable CEC negotiation).
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Sep 04, 2019 17:38

Videonut wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 13:42
The TV is a model TCL 70P10US I have contacted them re software updates etc.

I don't have a headphone or a sound bar, yet I'm asked on screen to change volume settings. I still don't know why I see that.

I had a look at the 70P10US manual, and I can't find anything in the manual that looks relevant when I search for either "headphone" or "volume". Exactly what do the messages say? Can you tell whether the messages are from the TV or from the Beyonwiz?
Videonut wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 13:42
I think that the main source of problem may have been the auto volume plug in settings which were incorrectly set.

Have you tried uninstalling the volume settings app? Or reviewing its settings?
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Videonut
Master

Post by Videonut » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:34

The headphone settings are under audio> advanced settings . The latest message is attached. I can then press the TV's volume control & a volume bar appears on TV that I can turn on/off even though I no longer need to use it.

This is activated if I press Volume button for TV. But as I said I don't have headphone or soundbar attached and I now seem to have satisfactory volume by just using the control only on the T2.
Attachments
Headphone.jpg
Headphone.jpg (305.79 KiB) Viewed 916 times

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Sep 05, 2019 15:36

Videonut wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:34
The headphone settings are under audio> advanced settings . The latest message is attached. I can then press the TV's volume control & a volume bar appears on TV that I can turn on/off even though I no longer need to use it.

That message is coming from the TV, and not from the Beyonwiz. The online manual I have doesn't say anything about the audio advanced settings, so it's hard to say whether there might be anything there that might be contributing the problem.
Videonut wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:34
This is activated if I press Volume button for TV. But as I said I don't have headphone or soundbar attached and I now seem to have satisfactory volume by just using the control only on the T2.

Which "Volume button for TV"?
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Videonut
Master

Post by Videonut » Thu Sep 05, 2019 15:52

That message comes from TV if I tough the TV's remote. I have changed settings so that only the T2's remote is used in future. Hopefully this is the send of the issue. The problem I think stemmed from the Auto volume being set to incorrect settings.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Sep 05, 2019 18:21

Videonut wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 15:52
The problem I think stemmed from the Auto volume being set to incorrect settings.
I'm not sure why that would cause the TV to pop up a message about the headphones.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Videonut
Master

Post by Videonut » Mon Sep 30, 2019 13:31

I appear to now have the main problem fixed.

I recorded several programs last night & tried playing a few seconds of each and I found that some like the ABC were very soft & that the remotes volume control worked OK.  The other stations almost blasted us out of the room and the remotes volume didn't appear to help.

I then tried using the onscreen help which has several pages of notes about function/options etc.  Eventually  I came to the one about sound or more precisely 'cycling through audio tracks' and there it mentions about turning on/off downmixing 'AC3' .  I tried this and this  immediately fixed everything. I had never seen or been referred to this switch which caused all of the problem.

It was only by luck & persistence that I even found this.  I tried using the inbuilt help button on lower right of remote.  Pressing this button causes a remote control with all of it's buttons to be displayed on the TV.  The problem with this display is that it isn't for the remote that was provided with my T2.

Flicking this switch also seem to have had also stopped the on screen to headphone volume.

Return to “General Topics”