My Experiences With Beyonwiz Machines

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Sir Lancelot
Master

My Experiences With Beyonwiz Machines

Post by Sir Lancelot » Thu Apr 18, 2019 09:46

I always thought that the T4 was the best of all the Beyonwiz's . It's a pity that the build quality was not up to standard, with caps failing after what is considered unacceptable time. I have at times owned all models of Beyonwiz (DPP1, DPP2, T3, 2xT4 and 1xU4) The T3 and both the T4's have been in for repair (1 of the T4's several times). I still use a T4 which is working well. The U4 was a load of $h?t*, it would work well for a week or so and then start splitting recordings into multiple pieces. I tried all avenues to get rid of that problem but without luck, so I packed it up and shoved it in a cupboard. I had had enough of sending machines back for repair. I should have returned it back to Beyonwiz and asked for my money back as a being an unfit for purpose machine. I probably still could but I have become very disenchanted with the company. At this time I would never buy another Beyonwiz. I now own 2 Panasonic triple tuners, although not anywhere near the
functionality of the Beyonwiz's, at least I know that they are much better in build,

Regards
Lance

dRdoS7
Wizard

Re: My Experiences With Beyonwiz Machines

Post by dRdoS7 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:41

Hi,
Sir Lancelot wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 09:46
The U4 was a load of $h?t*, it would work well for a week or so and then start splitting recordings into multiple pieces. I tried all avenues to get rid of that problem but without luck, so I packed it up and shoved it in a cupboard. I had had enough of sending machines back for repair. I should have returned it back to Beyonwiz and asked for my money back as a being an unfit for purpose machine. I probably still could but I have become very disenchanted with the company.
You should return it. They're not cheap.

I've had the HDMI on our U4 fail. That was fixed. No other problems that weren't caused by me. Of the 3 T2s, 2 are fine, 1 got fried by lightning.

Get your money back, buy a Panasonic, LG, or Samsung (do they still make DVRs?).

dRdoS7

Sir Lancelot
Master

Post by Sir Lancelot » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:59

Thanks dRdoS7

Sir Lancelot
Master

Post by Sir Lancelot » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:03

I have already got 2 Panasonic triple tuner recorders. These will also play Blu-ray discs. They both give really great pictures.

Regards.
Lance

grampus
Wizard

Post by grampus » Thu Apr 18, 2019 14:25

Sir Lancelot wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:46 am
splitting recordings into multiple pieces. I tried all avenues to get rid of that problem but without luck, so I packed it up and shoved it in a cupboard.
I also have had a number of problems with U4 splitting recordings.
This has disappeared, and not returned.

Last action taken some months ago was to reinstall from scratch after initialization, and without Dir-count and series to folder.
The indication I would have that lead up to splitting recording was generally picture stalling, momentarily and the spinner appearing.
It seemed it was a GUI restart happening.
One indicator that I used to make me think it was a GUI restart was that every time this happened, it would be a very short occurrence and I would see that the IceTV log had been cleared, and a fresh pull of EPG and timers had occurred.
And any recording that was happening at that time would be split, all depended on the number of times the hiccup occurred, how many files it became.

I may return to this if I finally get irritated with not have my series in a folder, maybe not.
Leave well enough alone.

FWIW
Screen: Panasonic TH-60ST60A; BeyonWiz U4; T3; Panasonic BD-35 Blu_Ray player

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Apr 18, 2019 14:32

I doubt that Series2Folder was to blame. That won't perform any copy operations while there are active recordings.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Apr 18, 2019 15:34

Series2Folder also never does any copies. It uses Linux rename() operations to move the recording files to the destination directory using manipulation of file links and without copying.

If it copied, it would be much slower.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Bluffy30

Post by Bluffy30 » Fri May 10, 2019 20:43

Hi!
Total newbie here.
Can you please explain what you mean by and where I would looked see if the “Dir-count and series to folder” mentioned above is causing the multiple recording on my U4.

I have owned a T2 and T3 with very few issues, but I am ready to throw the U4 out the door (wish I had never bought it).

I am having multiple recordings happening (as many as 12 small files per show).

Thank you and sorry for being such an ignoramus.

Draadnor
Apprentice

Post by Draadnor » Sat May 11, 2019 05:28

Bluffy30 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 20:43
Hi!
Total newbie here.
Can you please explain what you mean by and where I would looked see if the “Dir-count and series to folder” mentioned above is causing the multiple recording on my U4.

I have owned a T2 and T3 with very few issues, but I am ready to throw the U4 out the door (wish I had never bought it).

Thank you and sorry for being such an ignoramus.
I'm not much of an expert on the Beyonwiz's but I think you may have some issues with the Autotimers (ie., creating too 'loose' an Autotimer which picks up more titles to record). Have a bit of a squiz at the guide in this thread viewtopic.php?f=42&t=9641
as it may help you get a better grip on this powerful feature. I also strongly recommend using your home pc to connect via the Beyonwizs web page in order to edit the Autotimers - it's just so much easier.
BeyonWiz U4 (MAR2018)
Altech PVR9600T (retired)
Topfield MP5000 (retired)

grampus
Wizard

Post by grampus » Sat May 11, 2019 08:50

Just a follow up to my post re this sort of issue.

I also have had a number of problems with U4 splitting recordings.
This has disappeared, and not returned.

Last action taken some months ago was to reinstall from scratch after initialization, and without Dir-count and series to folder.
The indication I would have that lead up to splitting recording was generally picture stalling, momentarily and the spinner appearing.
It seemed it was a GUI restart happening.
One indicator that I used to make me think it was a GUI restart was that every time this happened, it would be a very short occurrence and I would see that the IceTV log had been cleared, and a fresh pull of EPG and timers had occurred.
And any recording that was happening at that time would be split, all depended on the number of times the hiccup occurred, how many files it became.

I may return to this if I finally get irritated with not have my series in a folder, maybe not.
Leave well enough alone.

FWIW
After waiting for nearly a month with no re occurrences, I reinstalled numcount and series to folder. about a week ago, with no sign of the split recordings evident. Go figure.
Now having said that Murphys law will hit.

But in my instance, I would think that the reinstall from scratch may have been the thing that assisted here.
Screen: Panasonic TH-60ST60A; BeyonWiz U4; T3; Panasonic BD-35 Blu_Ray player

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sat May 11, 2019 10:21

Bluffy30 wrote:

'dir-count' is an extension to the movie selection list and was written by adoxa. He provided it in both standalone (as a script install in 'dir-count.zip') and as a part of his 'Patches-by-adoxa' plugin.
'Series2Folder' is a plugin to automatically move recordings to directories.
Have you installed either of those two?
[not that I'm pointing a finger at those two, since I think it's been more than six months since I can recall an issue with dir-count, and even longer with Series2Folder]

Have you installed any plugins?

What firmware version are you using on your U4?

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Sat May 11, 2019 12:37

On my U4 the "multiple small file partial recordings" bug briefly cropped up a few months back. I don't use autotimers on the U4 and I don't believe it is affected by Dir count as I wasn't using it at the time. Didn't get this on the T3 or T4 at all.

Since installing 20190207 (with dir count) by usb it has been fine. No idea what triggered it at the time though.
Last edited by Paul_oz53 on Sat May 11, 2019 20:55, edited 1 time in total.
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat May 11, 2019 17:54

I've never had any problems with Series2Folder mangling recordings. If I had, it probably would have been fixed :)
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Bluffy30

Post by Bluffy30 » Tue May 14, 2019 21:29

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 10:21
Bluffy30 wrote:

'dir-count' is an extension to the movie selection list and was written by adoxa. He provided it in both standalone (as a script install in 'dir-count.zip') and as a part of his 'Patches-by-adoxa' plugin.
'Series2Folder' is a plugin to automatically move recordings to directories.
Have you installed either of those two? Nope, I haven’t installed anything.
[not that I'm pointing a finger at those two, since I think it's been more than six months since I can recall an issue with dir-count, and even longer with Series2Folder]

Have you installed any plugins? All I use is IceTV

What firmware version are you using on your U4? I believe the firmware is up to date. 20190207. Please see attached. Thanks for your help.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Wed May 15, 2019 11:18

Bluffy30 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 21:29
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 10:21
Bluffy30 wrote:
...I have owned a T2 and T3 with very few issues, but I am ready to throw the U4 out the door (wish I had never bought it).

...Have you installed either of those two?
Bluffy30 wrote: Nope, I haven’t installed anything.
...Have you installed any plugins?
Bluffy30 wrote: All I use is IceTV
What firmware version are you using on your U4?
Bluffy30 wrote: I believe the firmware is up to date. 20190207. Please see attached. Thanks for your help.

That firmware is the latest. Some folk had "split-recording" issues with earlier firmware, but I don't know of any on 20190207 f/w.

Your "split-recording" issues may be the result of a GUI crash, and there may have been crash logs written at the time.
Open File Commander (MENU>>Sources / Files), then -
  • Navigate to Internal Flash, then 'home', then 'root', then 'logs' (/home/root/logs/).
  • Look for crash log files in the form of "Enigma2_crash_{date}_{time}.log"
  • If one or more crash logs are present, particularly if you think they correspond to a time when you had split recordings, copy a maximum of three of the latest crash log files to a USB drive -
    • Insert a USB flash drive in the U4
      The USB drive should show up automatically in the other File Commander pane within a few seconds of inserting it.
    • Have the log directory open in one pane and the USB drive open in the other pane (you can use PREV/NEXT to switch panes).
    • Then select a crash log from the "log" pane and copy it to the other ("USB") pane using YELLOW/Copy.
      (Pressing MEDIA will allow multiple files to be selected, and use OK to toggle file selection)
  • EXIT to get back to the main menu
  • Unmount the thumb drive -
    • Press RIGHT to get "plugins" column
    • Press UP a few times to get to the 'SimpleUmount' entry located towards the bottom of the plugins column, select and open it
    • Select the USB drive (should already be selected), press OK, reply Yes to the "really umount ..." prompt, then remove ther USB drive.
    • EXIT back to the main menu, EXIT again to get back to live TV
Attach the crash log files in a post in this topic.

Bluffy30

Post by Bluffy30 » Wed May 15, 2019 22:06

Thanks Grumpy_Geoff, I am away from home for two weeks so will look in to this when I get back. Thanks again.

lance124
Apprentice

Post by lance124 » Thu May 23, 2019 11:06

After reading about the latest firmware 20190207 I got the U4 out of the cupboard and loaded it by USB.
Result was that the first two days recordings were good, but the night before yesterday I had the test recording chopped into 12 separate pieces. Lasts night was fine.
I am truly fed up with this bloody machine and still wish that I never had bought this load of crap.

A few more days of trial and if it has not settled down it's either the cupboard or the dustbin.

Regards
Lance

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Thu May 23, 2019 11:23

lance124 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:06
..., but the night before yesterday I had the test recording chopped into 12 separate pieces.

Were there any crash logs produced?

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Thu May 23, 2019 16:42

lance124 wrote:
it's either the cupboard or the dustbin

I'm sure that there will be someone willing to take it off your hands, rather than see it scrapped. Perhaps even for a decent price.

Chances are that if that someone is familiar with the U4 and puts some effort into systematic troubleshooting, they'll get it working just fine. After all, there are hundreds of users that don't have these problems. Most likely problem is a faulty HDD, cable or connector and if that was the problem since it was purchased, it would have been fixed under warranty.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu May 23, 2019 17:12

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:23
lance124 wrote:
..., but the night before yesterday I had the test recording chopped into 12 separate pieces.

Were there any crash logs produced?

And what does the /home/root/logs/enigma2_execution.log file show for the time around when the recording was mangled?
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

lance124
Apprentice

Post by lance124 » Mon May 27, 2019 08:16

U4 second time in less than a week I got chopped recordings. Time to pack the bloody machine up again as I have given it a fair trial.
I wonder if Beyonwiz will give me my the money I paid for it as being unfit for purpose. I bought the U4 in march last year and it has spent several months in its box. I have never been happy with it. I cannot remember how long it is covered under law to do this.

Regards
Lance

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon May 27, 2019 08:58

lance124 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 08:16
I cannot remember how long it is covered under law to do this.

The warranty under Australian consumer law has no fixed time limit.

But you also haven't supplied any of the information you've been asked for here that might help isolate and perhaps fix the problem.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Mon May 27, 2019 10:55

lance124 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 08:16
I bought the U4 in march last year and it has spent several months in its box. I have never been happy with it.

I can't see how putting the U4 in a box and being unhappy about it would improve the situation. If there was a problem with the device when you have bought it, you should have pursued the matter with Beyonwiz until it was resolved. Typically they would have gone through some basic troubleshooting and if that didn't help, they would have arranged for the unit to be returned and either repaired or replaced. They are much better in that respect than bigger brands such as Panasonic or Samsung.

Blog.

lance124
Apprentice

Post by lance124 » Mon May 27, 2019 11:45

I tried to follow your directions.
Went to root file, then logs. All I get then is 'enigma2 execution.log'
What I get then is a long list:-

Sat May 25, then enigma2 terminated with code 137
Date and time, then executing enigma2

These last 2 lines are repeated 26 times with very short times between each one.

I get exactly the same for Sun 26th

Plugging in a USB stick does not show another file commander pane..

Nothing is named as a "crash log"

I did not follow any of this up for 2 main reasons:
1, So fed up with having to return faulty machine {T3 & T4's} on many occasions
2. Spending time in hospital having one knee replaced 3 times Yes 3 times.
3. Then spending more time in hospital with septicaemia {not from the knee fortunately}

So you can see that I did not have much time to waste and anyway did not feel up to it.
I trust that this goes some way as to why things that should have been done were not.

Regards
Lance

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Mon May 27, 2019 12:09

Lance,

In my experience, problems such as yours suggest the current firmware is corrupted on your machine.

If you reflash the firmware from USB and do not restore settings then you will be able to say with confidence that you have a unique problem if it recurs. My bet is it will not.

I had a spell with the U4 splitting recordings but since I reflashed it, it has been fine. Grampus also mentions the same problem and cure in his post.

If you need help to reflash it, we'll be happy to guide you.
Denon AVR -X2400H

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon May 27, 2019 12:27

lance124 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 11:45
I tried to follow your directions.
Went to root file, then logs. All I get then is 'enigma2 execution.log'
What I get then is a long list:-

Sat May 25, then enigma2 terminated with code 137
Date and time, then executing enigma2

These last 2 lines are repeated 26 times with very short times between each one.

I get exactly the same for Sun 26th

Even that small amount of information indicates something useful - the enigma2 process (the application that runs the PVR functions on the Beyonwiiz) has exited because it has received a SIGKILL signal (exit codes above 128 are for termination due to a signal, and are in the form 128 + sig_number, and SIGKILL is signal number 9).

Failures like this unfortunately don't leave any crash logs, which is why you won't find crash logs corresponding to the restarts that are listed in enigma2_execution.log.

A possible cause for enigma2 being sent a SIGKILL is memory exhaustion. If the conditions that cause memory to be use up aren't removed, enigma2 will restart and then exhaust memory again.

What you're seeing is not a common problem (even on PVR models with less memory than the U4). It is sometimes hard to pin down, though.

How long is the "very short time" between the entries in enigma2_execution.log when the repeated restarts happen? Is it always about the same time, or does it vary, and what sort of variation are you seeing?

What plugins, if any, have you added (not including pre-installed plugins like IceTV or AutoTimers)?

Have you removed any pre-installed plugins? (Though the problems that can cause typically aren't those that you're seeing)

How much memory is your U4 reporting as having? (MENU>Information>Memory, Total Memory and Free Memory). I see 2097152 (2GB) and 437452 (about 430MB) respectively on my test U4. The reported numbers are kB.

It is possible that enabling debug logging on the U4 and looking at the debug logs for when the restarts happen might reveal the underlying reason why the U4 is running out of memory (if that is the reason for the restarts).

What you're seeing is not typical behaviour, and is probably a firmware, rather than a hardware, issue. Unless something useful can be extracted from the debug logs from when the problem happens, really the only way to get to the bottom of the problem is to try to work out how your usage of the U4 differs from people who don't encounter this problem, and to then try to either fix the problem, or at least try to achieve what you're trying to do without triggering it.

I'm sorry to hear about your health issues, and I apologise if I appeared abrupt.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

lance124
Apprentice

Post by lance124 » Mon May 27, 2019 12:39

Your forgiven Peter

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon May 27, 2019 13:02

prl wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 12:27
really the only way to get to the bottom of the problem is to try to work out how your usage of the U4 differs from people who don't encounter this problem, and to then try to either fix the problem, or at least try to achieve what you're trying to do without triggering it.
If lance124 can think of *any* of their settings may be considered unique, then that would be a good starting point.

For example, there was a memory leak a while back that occurred if the user enabled subtitles, but had a custom setting for the subtitle location. That is an example of feature that would be rarely used by a majority of users.

lance124
Apprentice

Post by lance124 » Mon May 27, 2019 16:39

Just set up the U4 without restoring settings. I only added IanSavs Overlay HD Skin as I don't like the others.
We will see what happens over the next few days.

Regards
Lance.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon May 27, 2019 17:51

lance124 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 16:39

I think it would also be beneficial to enable debug logging as prl suggested, assuming your U4 is connected to your home network.
From a computer, open a web browser to the U4's web server OpenWebif - http://beyonwizu4/ (edit - wrong "slashes" :( ).
Then in OpenWebif under Extras>>Settings>>Log Settings, tick the 'Enable debug logs' box.
By default the log files will be written to flash memory, so you may want to set the 'Log location' to /media/hdd. The log files will get written to the 'logs' subdirectory of the 'Log location' directory (e.g. /home/root/logs/ [default] or /media/hdd/logs/ in the above case).
If you change 'Log location' from its default, you'll need to either reboot the box or twice restart the GUI for the new log location to take effect.
Last edited by Grumpy_Geoff on Mon May 27, 2019 19:26, edited 1 time in total.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon May 27, 2019 18:08

lance124 wrote:
I only added IanSavs Overlay HD Skin as I don't like the others.

Overlay HD isn't known to cause any problems like the ones you described.
lance124 wrote:

Could you enable debug logging if you haven't already? You can only do it via Open Webif, in Settings>Log settings. You need to tick the "Enable debug logs" box, and I recommend changing "Log location" to /media/hdd. After changing the settings, you need to restart GUI (or reboot) to start up logging. If you've never logged to /media/hdd before, you need to restart twice (don't ask! :roll: ) for logging to start going to the HDD.

The debug files will be in /media/hdd/logs, with names starting Enigma2_debug and the rest of the filename being a timestamp for the enigma2 app start time. Eg. Enigma2_debug_2019-05-20_06-12-42.log

I'll be away from the forum for most of June, but there are others on the forum who can dig around in the debug logs to see whether there are any clues in there.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Mon May 27, 2019 21:06

prl wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 18:08
lance124 wrote:
I only added IanSavs Overlay HD Skin as I don't like the others.
Overlay HD isn't known to cause any problems like the ones you described.

It's not a good idea to install anything when you are trying to troubleshoot a problematic system. Overlay HD has crashed some systems in the past and it's just an unnecessary variable.

The first thing you need to establish is whether this is a hardware issue or a software issue. The best way to do that is to:

1. Completely reflash the firmware from USB.
2. Do not restore settings, just use the initial wizard to setup the machine.
3. Do not alter any settings, only create a few timers to test whether the problem is gone or if it persists.

If the problem persists, contact Beyonwiz, tell them that you have done the above and now suspect a hardware issue.

If the problem is fixed, you can start changing settings. Keep a track of which things you changed when, in case the problem comes back. If it does, your records will improve your odds of figuring out what changes may have been responsible.

Blog.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue May 28, 2019 11:51

Hello PeterU,
peteru wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 21:06
Overlay HD has crashed some systems in the past and it's just an unnecessary variable.
This is news to me. I am unaware of any long term issues with the use of OverlayHD. Any issues noted after an upgrade were promptly corrected. OverlayHD is now running on multiple images with NO reports of any issues.

If you are aware of any issues then why haven't you reported them?

Regards,
Ian.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue May 28, 2019 12:39

IanSav wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 11:51
Hello PeterU,
peteru wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 21:06
Overlay HD has crashed some systems in the past and it's just an unnecessary variable.
This is news to me. I am unaware of any long term issues with the use of OverlayHD. Any issues noted after an upgrade were promptly corrected. OverlayHD is now running on multiple images with NO reports of any issues.

If you are aware of any issues then why haven't you reported them?
I think the operative words were "in the past". There have been times in the past when the capabilities of OverlayHD exceeded the Beyonwiz firmware, and there were incompatibilities. We know you are careful and take great pains to keep things in sync across multiple enigma2 platforms, but "stuff happens".

I am sure PeterU was not pointing any fingers at OverlayHD in particular. The key here is that the firmware installation should be as stock as it is possible to absolutely rule out *any* possibility of bugs from other sources.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue May 28, 2019 12:47

MrQuade wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 12:39
I think the operative words were "in the past". There have been times in the past when the capabilities of OverlayHD exceeded the Beyonwiz firmware, and there were incompatibilities. We know you are careful and take great pains to keep things in sync across multiple enigma2 platforms, but "stuff happens".

I am sure PeterU was not pointing any fingers at OverlayHD in particular. The key here is that the firmware installation should be as stock as it is possible to absolutely rule out *any* possibility of bugs from other sources.

Plus we don't know if Lance chucked on an old version or the latest. I agree that debugging using a vanilla environment is desired here given the issue at hand could be caused by OOM.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue May 28, 2019 13:35

Hi Grumpy_Geoff,
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 12:47
Plus we don't know if Lance chucked on an old version or the latest. I agree that debugging using a vanilla environment is desired here given the issue at hand could be caused by OOM.
It is not possible for Beyonwiz users to run the newest versions of OverlayHD. The Beyonwiz firmware is now too far behind all the other images to run the current OverlayHD. Beyonwiz refuses to merge my code updates. This is not the case with OpenPLi, OpenViX and OpenATV. (These are the main images I support but other derivatives are also now taking my code.)

Regards,
Ian.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue May 28, 2019 13:57

IanSav wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 13:35
Hi Grumpy_Geoff,
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 12:47
It is not possible for Beyonwiz users to run the newest versions of OverlayHD. The Beyonwiz firmware is now too far behind all the other images to run the current OverlayHD.

I'm only referring to the OverlayHD Beyonwiz skin and the versions listed in the 'OverlayHD Skin...' topic.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue May 28, 2019 15:57

I know that some Overlay HD versions can be incompatible with some Beyonwiz firmware versions.

But I specifically said "Overlay HD isn't known to cause any problems like the ones you [lance124] described." Emphasis added.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue May 28, 2019 16:02

Hi Prl,
prl wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 15:57
I know that some Overlay HD versions can be incompatible with some Beyonwiz firmware versions.

But I specifically said "Overlay HD isn't known to cause any problems like the ones you [lance124] described." Emphasis added.
I think your comment was more appropriately phrased.

I have no issue with people being asked to test with a completely native / raw system but the implications of PeterU's post suggesting issues with OverlayHD were unwarranted.

Regards,
Ian.

lance124
Apprentice

Post by lance124 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:32

I reinstalled the firmware as suggested without using any back ups or other items.
I has been in use for 6 days now, and I am now to doing multiple recordings.
There is only one problem which is that I cannot connect the U4 to the internet. I have tried for several days without any success, not that it matters at moment.
There have been no problems with chopped recordings so far.

I will post again in a week or two to let you know how things are going.

Regards
Lance.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:42

lance124 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:32
There is only one problem which is that I cannot connect the U4 to the internet. I have tried for several days without any success, not that it matters at moment.
Can you provide any more information about this?

Does the U4 connect to your network successfully? Does it get an IP address and can you access the web interface from a PC?
Are you using Wired or wireless, or using any other non-standard devices to connect the U4 to your network?

lance124
Apprentice

Post by lance124 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:44

I have run my tests for some time now without any problems.
Yesterday I loaded IanSav's OverlayHD skin as it is so much nicer than the offered two. I did not change any of the settings. Everything fine this morning.
I still cannot connect to the internet.
The IP address shows as:- 0.0.0.0, previously it was 10.0.0.11. I tried with that but no luck. The only thing I noticed the in going to set up the network in the information box the message says to connect with WLAN to use a USB-WLAN stick. Whatever that is. I am at a loss now what to do.

Any further suggestions as where to go with the internet now, or do I just run the U4 without an internet connection which negates some of the beauties of the Beyonwiz.

I will still run the recording tests to see if the original problem is cured.

Regards
Lance

lance124
Apprentice

Post by lance124 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:29

Oops! I just realised that the USB-WLAN stick is the USB aerial plugged into the U4. Just a question of terminology.

Regards
Lance

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:35

lance124 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:29
Oops! I just realised that the USB-WLAN stick is the USB aerial plugged into the U4. Just a question of terminology.
Not sure I am following you there? The USB-WLAN is definitely not the same as the USB tuner, and is never referred to as such by the U4 firmware.

How does your U4 normally connect to the Internet? (as in how did it prior to the firmware update?) Do you have a separate USB WiFi adaptor, or are you connecting via network cable?

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 13:02

Lance,

I assume you are connected by a known good ethernet cable from a router to the ethernet port on the rear of the U4. Please carefully check those cable connections. Try another cable if possible.

Next, please check the following settings and tell us what you see.

In Menu > Setup > Network > Network interface > Enable ethernet interface. It should be set to ON. If it is not, there will only be one line.

If there's more than one line, is Automatic configuration (DHCP ) also ON? If not, turn it on. Note that if it is OFF you will be in manual setup mode. I recommend you avoid manual setup for now. You may have a wrong setting causing the problem.

At the bottom of the screen are the network settings if it's connected or the IP address will be N/A if not.

Press the GREEN button to activate the settings. It will activate after a short delay and revert to the previous menu.

Go back to the Network interface screen and check the status. If all is well it should say: LAN connection, a primary DNS, a Gateway, IP address and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. If it does, it should now be working. If not, tell us what these fields actually contain.

There's a test available at Menu > Setup > Network > Network adapter selection > Network test. Press GREEN. You should get 5 green ticks if all is well.

The wireless adapter is an accessory that plugs into a USB port. They can be temperamental so stick to a wired connection if you can.
Denon AVR -X2400H

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 13:07

If you use a wireless adapter then make sure that it is selected rather than the ethernet adapter. If it is not showing up in the menu, try it in a different USB port.
Denon AVR -X2400H

lance124
Apprentice

Post by lance124 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 17:50

Hooray , hooray ,hooray.
I have had no problems over the past few weeks at all, apart from the internet connection with the U4 and chopped recordiings.
Yesterday I updated to firmware v 20190207 via USB. After lots of frustrating fiddling I finally got the U4 connected to the internet All good at the moment.
I may even change my previous opinion about the U4.

By the way all the beyonwiz machines have had the most complicated way of connecting to the internet. All other boxes and OLED TV all I've had to do was put in the router code number and password and presto instant connection, and importantly automatic connection after a powder out or any other incidents.

I wish to thank everybody for their assistance with these problems and all their advice and help over the last few years. Thanks again to you all.

Regards
Lance

Return to “General Topics”