Dealing with new /old episodes on different channels

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Confused
Master

Dealing with new /old episodes on different channels

Post by Confused » Tue Feb 19, 2019 13:59

We would like to record some programs with partly new name on are on same service but 2 different channels.

Some EPG descriptions say that the show is new & these are on a different channel. Both sets of programs have 2 episodes on back to back.
What is best way to deal with this?

You could possible just increase the running time of first episode to include the second,but future weeks might be different. I presume that you could even tell the B/W to record first on one tuner & second program on another or even one in SD & the other in HD.

Naturally everyone is hoping to get everything in HD.

I have even tried to set some using OpenWebIf but often find that running the test isn't displaying what I expected or wanted.
Thanks In advance
T2,Topfield 7160,Harmony 650 Remote,TCL TV Model 70P10US,Chromecast

raymondjpg
Guru

Re: Dealing with new /old episodes on different channels

Post by raymondjpg » Tue Feb 19, 2019 14:25

Confused wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 13:59
We would like to record some programs with partly new name on are on same service but 2 different channels.

Some EPG descriptions say that the show is new & these are on a different channel. Both sets of programs have 2 episodes on back to back.

You could possible just increase the running time of first episode to include the second,but future weeks might be different. I presume that you could even tell the B/W to record first on one tuner & second program on another or even one in SD & the other in HD.

Naturally everyone is hoping to get everything in HD.

I have even tried to set some using OpenWebIf but often find that running the test isn't displaying what I expected or wanted.

Normally the way to record programs that are simulcast on different channels, is to set a timer for one channel, then when setting the timer for the second channel, use a custom offset either in pre or post padding that is at least one minute different from the first timer. This can be set up in autotimers. If the programs have slightly different names that can usually be accommodated as a partial match in the Match title field of the autotimer. I'm looking at the procedure for setting autotimers in the Webif interface; it may be different on the PVR GUI.

As to whether you get SD or HD, that depends on the channels you are recording from.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Feb 19, 2019 14:46

Confused wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 13:59

Can you give examples please?

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Feb 19, 2019 15:15

raymondjpg wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 14:25
Normally the way to record programs that are simulcast on different channels, is to set a timer for one channel, then when setting the timer for the second channel, use a custom offset either in pre or post padding that is at least one minute different from the first timer. This can be set up in autotimers.

There's no need to use AutoTimers to achieve the basics of that. You can set up ordinary repeat timers on the two channels (I'm not sure what distinction Confused is making between "channels" and "services") and simply edit the timer name of one (or both) of the timers. The recordings will be named using the timer names.

But like Grumpy_Geoff, I'm not quite sure what Confused's intention is, and I'd prefer to see an example before I try to give any detailed advice.

In stuff that we're recording, The Family had some scheduling oddities that needed a bit of work on so that we recorded what were technically repeats on Prime7 HD, but which were actually the first runs in HD. Similar restrictions would have also been needed to only record the HD broadcast of The Family with AutoTimers. But Confused doesn't seem to be referring to The Family, because it's not currently showing back-to-back episodes.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Feb 19, 2019 15:18

Moved topic from Hardware Discussion T2 / T3 / T4 / U4 to a more appropriate area.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Tue Feb 19, 2019 15:46

prl wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 15:15
raymondjpg wrote:
Normally the way to record programs that are simulcast on different channels, is to set a timer for one channel, then when setting the timer for the second channel, use a custom offset either in pre or post padding that is at least one minute different from the first timer. This can be set up in autotimers.

There's no need to use AutoTimers to achieve the basics of that. You can set up ordinary repeat timers on the two channels (I'm not sure what distinction Confused is making between "channels" and "services") and simply edit the timer name of one (or both) of the timers. The recordings will be named using the timer names.

Maybe not, but I was covering the bases for the situation I could envisage when OP said "...but future weeks might be different.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Feb 19, 2019 15:54

raymondjpg wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 15:46
prl wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 15:15
raymondjpg wrote:

Maybe not, but I was covering the bases for the situation I could envisage when OP said "...but future weeks might be different.

Yes, and I've already said that I can't give much in the way of definitive advice without knowing more about the problem Confused is trying to solve, including the ways in which future weeks might be expected to be "different"
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Confused
Master

Post by Confused » Tue Feb 19, 2019 16:49

My wife has started watching 'Young Sheldon' which recently being showing 2 news episodes back to back each Thursday night on 9DH.

While on other days earlier episodes are being shown on 9GO & these are sometimes shown multiple times according what a OpenWebIf search shows. I have tried attaching a VERY long page which I captured in Firefox. I haven't tried that feature & don't know if it works with other browsers but if it does you will see the 'Young Sheldon' listed a couple of dozen times.

You will see that the programs descriptions are often the same.
Thanks In advance
T2,Topfield 7160,Harmony 650 Remote,TCL TV Model 70P10US,Chromecast

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Feb 19, 2019 17:03

So you just want to record Young Sheldonfrom 9HD and not the repeats showing on 9GO?

Do you want to use AutoTimers? If so, restrict the AutoTimer to 9HD.

Do you want to use IceTV? Disallow repeats ("First Runs Only" in IceSpeak).

Do you want to use a simple repeat timer? Tell it to record from 9HD.

Do you want do do something else? If so, what is it?

The FTA EPG has no reliable information that AutoTimers could use to detect whether a show is a repeated old show (as opposed to repeats of recent shows that the networks like to call "encores", as though we asked for them).
Confused wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 16:49
You will see that the programs descriptions are often the same.

Yes, for shows that seem likely to be the same episodes (FTA EPG). The program descriptions for Young Sheldon in the current FTA EPG aren't simply generic descriptions of the series, as they are, say, for Letters and Numbers.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Tue Feb 19, 2019 18:08

Confused wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 16:49
My wife has started watching 'Young Sheldon' which recently being showing 2 news episodes back to back each Thursday night on 9DH.
Only when it came back, now the second is a repeat (in my region, anyway). At the risk of starting the debate again, my EPG shows season and episode numbers from the CRID, so I saw the first episode was a new season 2 and the second a season 1 repeat (this week it's S2E12 followed by S1E18).

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Tue Feb 19, 2019 19:22

adoxa wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 18:08
...now the second is a repeat (in my region, anyway).

Same in my region. Complicated slightly by the pair of episodes where the first is new is simulcast on 9 and 9HD, and the pair of episodes that are both repeats is on 9GO. I'd be restricting timers (however set) to 9HD, given that OP seemed to prefer HD, and wear the fact that the second episode is going to be a repeat. It can be deleted before or after watching the first episode of the pair. I'd still be inclined to set an autotimer restricted to 9HD. It is possible in the future that the second episode could be new. Who knows.

Gully

Post by Gully » Tue Feb 19, 2019 20:19

You could to refine this further make your favourites contain only the HD services where they duplicate SD ones and then limit the Autotimer to the favourite bouquet.

That will help reduce some of the doubling up without restricting any timers that end up on other services later on.

Still will need to do some deletion of timers generated or recordings but it should produce a reasonable result.
Cheers
Gully

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Feb 19, 2019 20:43

I think it's even simpler - just exact title match 'Young Sheldon - New', as the trailing program is without the '- New' title suffix.
If you've only 9HD in Favourites and are restricting to that bouquet, then job done - else service restrict to 9HD.

19:30 Young Sheldon - New
A Tummy Ache and a Whale of a Metaphor
20:00 Young Sheldon
A Mother, A Child and a Blue Man's Backside

Return to “General Topics”