My tv Channels are all out of order

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Mr Electrickery
Apprentice

My tv Channels are all out of order

Post by Mr Electrickery » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:04

Hi I know I am in the wrong subject but my initial test posting was even rejected so I am nervous now. So if someone could advise me where to post about problems with my U4 also general questions about the operation of said box. Back to subject, as I said my channels are all out of order. for example channel 24 ( ABC news) is now on channel 12. and Channel 2 instead of being ABC 1 is 9 GO. I tried doing a Factory reset and that works. However when I restore my settings back up it goes out of order again
Thanks in Advance

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Re: My tv Channels are all out of order

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Thu Jan 03, 2019 13:43

It reads like you've turned off the setting 'Alternative numbering mode' (MENU>>Setup>>TV>>Channel selection). It's defaulted to being on (service entries are numbered from 1 for each bouquet), that's why the services in the "channel list" are in the correct LCN-like index positions after a factory reset, but when you restore your settings with it turned off then they're not (services are numbered sequentially across all bouquets).

Edited to add:
Can you confirm you're viewing either your Favourites bouquet if you've set one up, or Terrestrial TV LCN - from live TV, press FAV to bring up the "channel list" - what is the bouquet name shown on the very top line, right-hand end?

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Jan 03, 2019 13:58

Also, please make sure that you do *not* delete any channels out of the Terrestrial TV LCN bouquet. If you delete services, then the numbering will be all screwed up.

If you want a bouquet with only your favourite channels, then add them to the "Favourites" bouquet and use that instead.
The LCNs (channel numbers) will not be the correct ones if you copy them into your Favourites though, so if original channel numbering is important to you, then you need to do some extra bouquet editing using the U4's web interface. Also note that the channels need to be in their original order if they are to retain their original numbering.

There are a few other threads that discuss the proper way to edit bouquets and retain the numbering.

Most of us don't bother with the LCNs. They're fairly meaningless numbers, and most of us change channel using the Channel List or EPG rather than by direct number entry,
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Jan 03, 2019 16:08

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 13:43
It reads like you've turned off the setting 'Alternative numbering mode' (MENU>>Setup>>TV>>Channel selection). It's defaulted to being on (service entries are numbered from 1 for each bouquet), that's why the services in the "channel list" are in the correct LCN-like index positions after a factory reset, but when you restore your settings with it turned off then they're not (services are numbered sequentially across all bouquets).

Edited to add:
Can you confirm you're viewing either your Favourites bouquet if you've set one up, or Terrestrial TV LCN - from live TV, press FAV to bring up the "channel list" - what is the bouquet name shown on the very top line, right-hand end?

I'd go with the current bouquet being the problem, not the setting of 'Alternative numbering mode'. As with the recent similar issue on the Whirlpool forum, if the user's bouquets are in the default order and 'Alternative numbering mode' is disabled, Terrestrial TV LCN will have the correct numbering, but the other bouquets will have LCNs above 300, but Mr Electrickery reports the channels as having the wrong numbering, but all small numbers.

My money is on Last Scanned being Mr Electrickery's current bouquet, possibly as the result of a rescan.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Thu Jan 03, 2019 16:53

prl wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 16:08
I'd go with the current bouquet being the problem, not the setting of 'Alternative numbering mode'.

That was my initial thought too, but then I was thrown given a factory reset "fixes" the issue (thus requiring a service scan), but it returns when settings are restored.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Jan 03, 2019 18:20

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 16:53
prl wrote:
I'd go with the current bouquet being the problem, not the setting of 'Alternative numbering mode'.

That was my initial thought too, but then I was thrown given a factory reset "fixes" the issue (thus requiring a service scan), but it returns when settings are restored.

The current bouquet setting is in the settings backup, so if "Last Scanned" is the current bouquet in the settings backup, that's what will be restored. The same is true for the 'Alternative numbering mode' setting, too.

But without knowing what Mr Electrickery has as the current bouquet, it's hard to be certain. It may be something else entirely, but I can't think of anything other than having "Last Scanned" as the current bouquet (and saved in the settings) that fits with the description of the problem.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Thu Jan 03, 2019 18:51

prl wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 18:20
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 16:53
prl wrote:

The current bouquet setting is in the settings backup, so if "Last Scanned" is the current bouquet in the settings backup, that's what will be restored. The same is true for the 'Alternative numbering mode' setting, too.

But without knowing what Mr Electrickery has as the current bouquet, it's hard to be certain. It may be something else entirely, but I can't think of anything other than having "Last Scanned" as the current bouquet (and saved in the settings) that fits with the description of the problem.

Yep I agree, but my thoughts were if a factory reset was performed, this then requires a service scan, which then defaults to 'Last Scanned' bouquet being used once the scan has been exited - but we were told " I tried doing a Factory reset and that works." which I assumed applied to the use/viewing of 'Last Scanned'.

So, yep - need more info.

Mr Electrickery
Apprentice

Post by Mr Electrickery » Thu Jan 03, 2019 19:40

Hi,
Thank you very much. It appears that 'Alternative numbering mode' was the problem. It was turned on and when turned of problem went away. I backed up my settings before doing a factory reset thereby backing up the problem I believe. Which explains why problem came back again after restore I think.
I believe I am in terrestrial mode and definitely not favourites. I have heard the term Bouquets but have no idea what they are. also an explanation of LCN,s would be appreciated as well. Thanks again.
I believe the term "knows enough to be dangerous" applies to me and suspect you will all get to know me well.
Are there detailed instructions for setting up a WiFi dongle somewhere in these forums (purchased from Beyonwiz)
Thanks very Much for the help
Mr Electrickery

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Jan 03, 2019 20:33

A bouquet is simply a collection of digital services (channels). Favourites is a bouquet (which you don't seem to use. Terrestrial TV LCN is another bouquet, as is Last Scanned. There isn't really a "terrestrial mode".

An LCN is a Logical Channel Number. It is used to label digital services (channels).
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Thu Jan 03, 2019 22:03

Mr Electrickery wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 19:40
...I believe the term "knows enough to be dangerous" applies to me and suspect you will all get to know me well.
Are there detailed instructions for setting up a WiFi dongle somewhere in these forums (purchased from Beyonwiz)

Page 18 of the U4 manual has some pics and info in the 'Wireless LAN Setup' section.

Take a look at the "T2 new user questions" thread, as it has a lot of issues solved and a lot of "how do I"s also answered.

May I suggest that before you begin to post your own issues, get your U4 networked. This will allow you to easily take screenshots using a web browser on your computer to access the OpenWebif web server running on the PVR. The OpenWebif (OWIF) interface lets you take control of the PVR.
In the case of the forum trying to understand what you're describing, a picture paints a billion words :)
See these two posts as a "how to" on taking OWIF screenshots.

If you have issues getting the wireless dongle working on your U4, you can download a screenshot PVR plugin to your computer and transfer it via sneaker-net to your U4 and install it.
See this post here (but for a U4, the URL to download the correct plugin is - http://beta.beyonwiz.org/beyonwiz/17.5/ ... t13000.ipk).

Of course, if your U4 is connected to your LAN, you can get direct access to that plugin and many others.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 02:22

Hi Mr Electrickery,

Setting up the wireless adapter is pretty straight forward if there's only one network but I have found it a little bit harder if you get multiple wifi signals. First the basic setup but also manual setup which worked for me on my T4 and U4.

Basic setup:

Plugin the dongle.

Press Menu>Setup>Network>Network adapter selection. The screen will show the wlan adapter with a red cross.

Press Green (Select).

In "Network settings / info" select enable wireless network interface.

Select automatic configuration (DHCP)

Set your encryption type.

Enter the encryption key.

Press Green (Save)

If all is good, after 10 secs or so it should come back with the correct details and a working connection.

If you run the network test you should get 5 green ticks. If so, it should be working.

If not, you'll need to check if it has connected to your access point. Try the "Scan wireless settings" option. Select your router from the list and select Green (Connect). You may see a heap of other access points listed which are all useless if you don't have their passwords.

Rerun the auto configuration. If still a bust then you will need to manually set the configuration.

To set an IP address manually:

Disable automatic configuration.

Enter an IP address. A common format is 192.168.1.xxx where xxx is a number you select that's not already in use. A number like 115 is a good choice. Avoid low numbers and numbers over 200 and you should be ok.

The netmask is 255.255.255.0

Select "Use a gateway". Get the address from your router manual. Mine is 192.168.1.1. Another value I have seen is 192.168.1.254 in a different brand of router. Another common setting is 10.x.x.xxx.

Note that it is critical that your ip address is in the same format as the router gateway address format: change only the last three digits for the IP address.

Scroll down to enter the encryption type and key.

Press Green (Save).

Now it should be working when you rerun the network test. [Edit: DHCP will show a RED cross for a manual setup.] Press exit a few times to get back to live TV.
Last edited by Paul_oz53 on Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:00, edited 1 time in total.
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

Mr Electrickery
Apprentice

Post by Mr Electrickery » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:38

Thanks Everybody for your help specially Paul for your detailed instructions for setting up WiFi. I have succeeded in getting WiFi going which gives me much more flexibility now. Would be better to have ethernet connected but that's not very practical unless I want cable running across the floor but we will see
Thanks again

Return to “General Topics”