T3 as remote device

Moderators: Gully, peteru

simoncasey
Wizard

T3 as remote device

Post by simoncasey » Tue Jul 17, 2018 17:58

It's been a while since I posted here - but my T4 has been trucking along nicely and even with Netflix, it still gets relatively high usage.

I'd like to set up a TV in a room with no aerial (but with a network point) so I was wondering if I could use my old T3 as a slave to the T4 with the primary purpose to watch recordings from the T4 and also to share one of the T4 tuners to the T3. I know that the T4 has the fall-back remote receiver option to share it's tuner to another device - but does that require the tuners to be in use on the other device or can it be the default mode for the T3 (or is there another option?).

I could try it out, but the T3 has the Error 0000 problem so likely needs a power supply replacement and I don't really want to go to the effort of repairing it, unless it will work as a slave.

The other option is to locate the repaired T3 adjacent to an aerial and then use an HDMI and remote sender to control the T3.
Beyonwiz T4

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: T3 as remote device

Post by MrQuade » Tue Jul 17, 2018 18:17

There is a plugin called RemoteIPTVClient that will do the job.

Install the plugin on the T3, and then when you run the plugin's wizard, the plugin will import a nominated bouquet from the T4 and then configure an equivalent bouquet on the T3, except all of the services are now configured as an IP stream from the T4.

All you need to do on the T3 is switch to the new bouquet, and you can use it much like you normally would if you had an antenna attached. (I don't believe that the T3 can timeshift or record on those IP services though.)

This all works just like streaming video to your PC. The T4 will allocate a tuner to the stream, or it will reuse a tuner if one is already tuned to the same channel. There is no need for the T4 to already be tuned to a channel prior to starting the stream, it is all handled automatically.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

simoncasey
Wizard

Post by simoncasey » Thu Jul 19, 2018 13:49

Thanks MrQuade - that sounds like it will work well.

Now I need to sort out repairing the T3
Beyonwiz T4

simoncasey
Wizard

Post by simoncasey » Tue Jul 31, 2018 16:28

Quick question on this. As the T3 can’t record or timeshift on the IP stream, does that mean I can effectively use the T3 without a hard drive for this purpose?
Beyonwiz T4

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Jul 31, 2018 16:33

simoncasey wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 16:28
Quick question on this. As the T3 can’t record or timeshift on the IP stream, does that mean I can effectively use the T3 without a hard drive for this purpose?
Absolutely.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Return to “General Topics”