New TV, No Sound from the T2

Moderators: Gully, peteru

mister_bimbo
Master

New TV, No Sound from the T2

Post by mister_bimbo » Mon Jan 11, 2016 20:25

Hi Folks,

I've installed a new TV today - a Panasonic 65" 4K unit.

Unfortunately, there is no sound coming from the T2 - I've been through all the settings and for the life of me, I cannot find the problem. The image is there, but no sound. And I've tried all the channels - no sound on any channel ... and no sound coming when I play any recording.

Free-to-air TV comes through just fine - with sound. And as I still have my tried-and-tested P1, I've plugged that in and sound comes through just fine (along with the picture), so whatever the problem is, is specific to the T2.

Any clues as to what the cause of this is..? I'm just really disappointed/frustrated that I've hit another problem with the T2 - and I'm in the bad books now with management ... so any help on how I can put this right would be most appreciated!

NB: I should add that all I have done is take down the old Panasonic Plasma TV and put up the new LCD/LED unit. Sound was coming from the T2 before, and I made no changes to the T2 configuration when swapping the TV's over.

Cheers,
David

Gully

Re: New TV, No Sound from the T2

Post by Gully » Mon Jan 11, 2016 20:41

It is really hard to do any more than guess and speculate if people post without giving us much information.

We have no idea how the TV and the T2 are connected or if there is an AV receiver involved.

And if you are using the same cables to the same inputs.

Or the TV model.

Or the settings on the T2 or the TV.

Some TVs have different settings for different inputs, etc.

Really could be a lot.
Cheers
Gully

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Jan 11, 2016 20:42

Hi David,

Are the sound settings on the old and new TVs comparable? Perhaps there is a default setting on the new TV that is different from the old TV. Alternatively, perhaps a setting on the T2 could be changed to match the old audio ability of the older TV.

In particular I would be looking at Dolby and similar encoding/decoding options. It is also worth checking all the audio levels to make sure there was not a lowering in the volume level during changeover.

Regards,
Ian.

mister_bimbo
Master

Post by mister_bimbo » Mon Jan 11, 2016 21:34

Hi Gully,
Gully wrote:It is really hard to do any more than guess and speculate if people post without giving us much information.
Sorry - I should have included some further details :)
Gully wrote:We have no idea how the TV and the T2 are connected or if there is an AV receiver involved.
The TV is connected to the T2 via HDMI: in the case of both TV's, the T2 is/was connected via HDMI port 1 and the same cables are in use.
Gully wrote:Or the TV model.
Panasonic Viera 65" TH65CX800A Smart VIERA UHD 4K TV -> http://www.panasonic.com/au/consumer/te ... x800a.html
Gully wrote:Or the settings on the T2 or the TV.
In relation to the TV, the settings are "standard" - I have not made any alteration to them (I don't yet fully understand where I can actually make any settings to the audio in the TV.

In relation the T2, I have not made any changes to the audio. The only change I have made to the settings for the T2 out-of-the-box was to specify the network configuration (network share points), and tell it that the TV is/was 1080i (I've not yet modified the setting for the new TV). I'm happy to list out the settings if that helps - I do not understand what most of them do, so I have left them at default.

I appreciate the help on offer - I don't understand why one TV works and the other doesn't :)

Cheers,
David

mister_bimbo
Master

Post by mister_bimbo » Mon Jan 11, 2016 21:39

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the suggestions ...
IanSav wrote:Are the sound settings on the old and new TVs comparable? Perhaps there is a default setting on the new TV that is different from the old TV. Alternatively, perhaps a setting on the T2 could be changed to match the old audio ability of the older TV.
I can't tell to be honest - this is why I plugged the P1 back in ... and as it seems to be fine, I surmised that there must be something that the T2 is doing with the manner in which sound is passed to the new TV. But what ... I really don't know how to tell :(
IanSav wrote:In particular I would be looking at Dolby and similar encoding/decoding options. It is also worth checking all the audio levels to make sure there was not a lowering in the volume level during changeover.
I did have a look at these, but there was nothing that jumped out at me as being incorrect ... and I did think to check the sound level to be sure that there wasn't an issue ... it was adjusted correctly on both the TV and the T2 (I can see the sound being adjusted on both by the slider bar ... just no sound coming through the set).

Cheers,
David

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Jan 11, 2016 21:44

Hi David,

Have you tried different inputs on the TV? Perhaps there is an issue on the input you are using. It would also be prudent to check the cable and connections in case the move has loosened or broken one of the cables / connectors.

Regards,
Ian.

Gully

Post by Gully » Mon Jan 11, 2016 21:59

Hi David

Those extra details help a bit, at least to point to areas to explore.

There will be settings that can be changed on the TV for Audio, and different TVs can decode different types of audio.

So it would be worth looking at the settings on both the TV and the T2 to see what they are currently, as well as the other suggestions Ian has made.
Cheers
Gully

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Jan 12, 2016 07:41

Is the T2 volume control turned tight down?
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

mister_bimbo
Master

Post by mister_bimbo » Tue Jan 12, 2016 13:20

Hi Gully,
Gully wrote:Those extra details help a bit, at least to point to areas to explore.

There will be settings that can be changed on the TV for Audio, and different TVs can decode different types of audio.

So it would be worth looking at the settings on both the TV and the T2 to see what they are currently, as well as the other suggestions Ian has made.
That's what I thought, but the frustrating thing is that there really isn't a lot to 'tune' in the area ... I hopped into the HDMI configuration and it allowed an HDMI/Anallog connection ... but that was about it. There is precious little on the audio settings ... or at least the ones that I could find. I found plenty of stuff on tuning the picture, but that's not where my problems are :)

The T2 by comparison offers a wealth of audio tuning options, almost all of which mean nothing to me.

The only thing that I can potentially identify is that the HDMI ports are of a "new" standard (I don't really understand this either). Here's what the spec's from the TV website state (noting that the T2 is plugged into HDMI 1):
HDMI:
  • 1 (side), 2 (bottom)
    3 x 4K 60/50p with HDCP2.2
    Support Feature - Audio Return Channel (Input 2)
Would the HDCP2.2 create issues for the T2 ... and if so, how would I configure the T2 to accommodate this..?

Cheers,
David

mister_bimbo
Master

Post by mister_bimbo » Tue Jan 12, 2016 13:23

prl wrote:Is the T2 volume control turned tight down?
That's the first thing that I checked Peter - I can watch the volume control going up/down (a volume control bar appears on the screen) ... I checked this for both the TV and T2 (the bar appears for both).

It really has got me vexed as to what the source of this is ... in the short term, we've started using the TV's inbuilt media player to watch our recorded shows (which is what we have the T2 for), so we have a short term workaround ... but I'd rather get the T2 operating nicely with the TV!

Cheers,
David

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 15:38

Set the wiz to decode everything. Hopefully you will get sound then (although sd/mpeg audio channels will already be decoded to PCM)? Maybe the pcm rate of the wiz is not accepted by the tv? What does the tv info details show about the audio?
Tony

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Jan 12, 2016 16:03

Perhaps this is a HDMI-CEC issue? Can you turn that off in the TV as a test? (Is it called VIERA-link for Panasonic?)
Just thinking that it might be related to malfunctioning ARC, or something similar, even though CEC should be off by default on the T2.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

mister_bimbo
Master

Post by mister_bimbo » Wed Jan 13, 2016 20:29

Hi Ian,
IanSav wrote:Have you tried different inputs on the TV? Perhaps there is an issue on the input you are using. It would also be prudent to check the cable and connections in case the move has loosened or broken one of the cables / connectors.
Sorry - I missed your suggestion: I noticed it this evening ... I didn't think it'd make a difference, but from the perspective of eliminating problems, I thought that I'd try it.

I swapped the "working" cable plugged into the P1 and HDMI input 2 (on the TV) to the T2. Unfortunately the same issue - great picture, but no sound.

As I said, its very frustrating ... I really don't know what to do.

Kind regards,
David

mister_bimbo
Master

Post by mister_bimbo » Wed Jan 13, 2016 20:32

Hi Mr. Q,
MrQuade wrote:Perhaps this is a HDMI-CEC issue? Can you turn that off in the TV as a test? (Is it called VIERA-link for Panasonic?)
Just thinking that it might be related to malfunctioning ARC, or something similar, even though CEC should be off by default on the T2.
I had a hunt around tonight to see if I could find this - I've turned off the VIERA link option ... and for good measure, I changed "standard" on the HDMI port from 2.2 to 1.4 (I'm struggling a bit to remember exactly what this is/was).

Neither option worked - I'm convinced that whatever the problem is, its on the T2. Now ... what that problem is, I'm still scratching my head. I've tried everything obvious. On the weekend I will reflash the T2 from scratch while it is plugged into the new TV ... maybe it'll pickup some new default and it'll work...

Cheers,
David

mister_bimbo
Master

Post by mister_bimbo » Wed Jan 13, 2016 20:37

Hi Tony,
tonymy01 wrote:Set the wiz to decode everything. Hopefully you will get sound then (although sd/mpeg audio channels will already be decoded to PCM)? Maybe the pcm rate of the wiz is not accepted by the tv? What does the tv info details show about the audio?
I'm not sure what I need to set - I've taken a look at everything that seems obvious to me in relation to what I am supposed to set ... but as I don't entirely understand what I am changing with respect to audio, I have been doing this one item at a time ... powering off and then restarting. So far, no difference.

I'm uncertain about what the PCM rate is and where I would find out this information...?

I've taken a look at the audio options for the TV and they are actually pretty straightforward (I understand them) with things like balance and volume correction (if the speaker is too close to the wall).

As I've said, next step is that I'm going to reflash the T2 ... I'm an old hand at it now, so I'll get it done as the first step as maybe the T2 sets itself up in a particular way when it initialises that is specific to the TV to which it is connected. Its the only logic that I can think of that makes sense ... I'm now in big trouble with management for buying the T2: as folks will know from my posts, I've had nothing but trouble from three different T2's ... while the old P1 soldiers on with absolute reliability!

Cheers,
David

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Wed Jan 13, 2016 20:48

mister_bimbo wrote:...
As I've said, next step is that I'm going to reflash the T2 ...
Hi David,

Have you tried your T4 connected to this new TV?

mister_bimbo
Master

Post by mister_bimbo » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:02

Hi Geoff,
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:Have you tried your T4 connected to this new TV?
Good suggestion - I'll give this a whirl tonight and report back.

Cheers,
David

mister_bimbo
Master

Post by mister_bimbo » Thu Jan 14, 2016 20:04

Folks,

The problem with the sound has been resolved - using Geoff's suggestion, I plugged the T4 into the TV - instant sound :)

So I then compared the two devices ... was pretty much the first setting that I changed and sound come through instantly from the T2. The setting was to downmix Dolby/DTS ... this was set to "off" on the T2 but "on" for the T4. I've not touched the setting on either box, so the process of initialising each must involve it "speaking" to the TV to figure out what to do...?

Anyway, thank you to Geoff but also to IanSav who suggested the Dolby one right up and tonymy01 who had the same suggestion: I just didn't understand enough to realise which settings were the ones required :)

Hope this helps someone else!

Cheers,
David

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Thu Jan 14, 2016 22:18

Let me get this right - you bought a brand new UHDTV that can not decode Dolby/AC3/DTS delivered as a compressed bitstream over HDMI?

Either something is wrong with the TV or Panasonic have completely lost the plot.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

scotty
Master

Post by scotty » Thu Jan 14, 2016 22:24

Strange. That setting does nothing to the audio on SD channels which also had the problem.

Scotty
T3 - 2TB WD Purple, Logitech Harmony Smart Control
T2 - 60GB Patriot Blaze SSD, Logitech Harmony One
IceTV

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Thu Jan 14, 2016 22:56

BTW: A quick squiz at the eHelp manual suggest that HDMI2 is the ARC port, so make sure that if you use an external AVR, it is connected to HDMI2. Don't plug the Beyonwiz into HDMI2.

The manual is confusing at best, but it seems that the TV will transcode Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital and HE-AAC multi-channel to Dolby Digital Bitstream (AC3). MPEG is output as PCM. DTS is output as DTS for video content. These formats will be output on SPDIF and HDMI2 ARC. There's nothing in the manual to suggest that the built in speakers will play anything else than 2 channel LPCM input. You may have some luck by switching the SPDIF output of the TV to PCM. Manual suggests:

1. Display the menu with MENU.
2. Select Sound > SPDIF Selection and press OK to access.
3. Select Auto / PCM and press OK to set.

There's also some mention of HDMI Input (Digital / Analogue) setting - it may be worth fiddling with this too.

On the other hand, the troubleshooting sections says to "Set the sound setting of the connected equipment to “2ch L.PCM”." for HDMI inputs.

I don't think Panasonic expect you to use the TV speakers with this TV, but instead expect you to hook up an external surround system to get better sound.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

mister_bimbo
Master

Post by mister_bimbo » Sat Jan 16, 2016 15:15

Hi Peter,
peteru wrote:BTW: A quick squiz at the eHelp manual suggest that HDMI2 is the ARC port, so make sure that if you use an external AVR, it is connected to HDMI2. Don't plug the Beyonwiz into HDMI2.
As always, thanks for the excellent suggestions :) The T2 is plugged into HDMI1 so I'm good here at the moment.
peteru wrote:You may have some luck by switching the SPDIF output of the TV to PCM. Manual suggests:

1. Display the menu with MENU.
2. Select Sound > SPDIF Selection and press OK to access.
3. Select Auto / PCM and press OK to set.
I'm not sure that's the manual for my TV - the menu under Sound does not have SPDIF (or anything that looks like that). I went through all of the fields but it doesn't appear to be there. There is PCM, but that seems to just be a sound correction tool and I've got mine set to 0Db (which I think is the default).
peteru wrote:There's also some mention of HDMI Input (Digital / Analogue) setting - it may be worth fiddling with this too.
I did have a fiddle there - the only thing that I could configure was to move the HDMI setting from "Auto" to either 2.2 or 1.4 (I chose 1.4, but it made no difference to the sound coming through). I also turned off the VIERA link stuff in case that was causing a problem ... again, made no difference.
peteru wrote:I don't think Panasonic expect you to use the TV speakers with this TV, but instead expect you to hook up an external surround system to get better sound.
This is disappointing - I bought the top-of-the-line LED/LCD Panny (having had a positive ownership experience with Panasonic Plasma's for 10 years), hoping that it would have all the bells and whistles ... anyway, that it doesn't is fine ... the TV is just in a large master bedroom and the picture is utterly superb. I'm not considering a sound system for now as I don't really use the TV that way.

Once again, I really appreciate the help suggested by everyone :D ... I'm still a little astonished at the solution, but its all working now.

Cheers,
David

mister_bimbo
Master

Post by mister_bimbo » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:07

Hi Folks,

A further update on the situation ....

The quality of viewing from our T2 had been deteriorating ... constant lockups (requiring a hard power off), timer problems, corrupted recordings ... I really had had enough of it.

As a last resort, I re-downloaded the firmware (even though I had a locally stored copy) and reflashed the unit. I then allowed all the online updates to come down ... and then configured the unit before downloading/configuring IceTV.

I immediately noticed two differences:
1. The "sound issue" that I had with the new TV (and the subject of this thread) evaporated - the reflashed T2 is fine to pass through the sound without downmixing it.
2. The T2 will now accept a DHCP address from my DHCP server - it ignored the configuration previously.

Hopefully I will notice more differences (i.e. the stuff I mentioned about corrupt recordings, hard power offs etc) as the weeks unfold ... I've got no idea how the unit "corrupted" in the first case, and I've had a very frustrating ownership experience with the T2 that I would rather put behind me.

Hope this helps someone else ... if you get weird behaviour, first step is to reflash the unit!

Cheers,
David

Return to “General Topics”