playing DVDs stored on my cloud on Panasonic TH-P65VT20A

PC, Mac and Linux Networking Hints and Tips.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

gvm
Apprentice

playing DVDs stored on my cloud on Panasonic TH-P65VT20A

Post by gvm » Sun Apr 26, 2015 16:27

I have a Panasonic TH-P65VT20A television, movies stored on a WD My Cloud, a PS3 and a DP-P2.

My PS3 can see the VOB files and play them but doesn't automatically play the next in the sequence after playing a file. I don't see the top menu so I can change the sound options to stop the narration playing.

using Viera Tools, I can use the TV to play files similarly to the PS3. This time the audio narration doesn't play. Both the PS3 and the TV have the problem of not displaying the top menu and therefore allowing control over the playback options, and not automatically playing the next file in the sequence.

My Beyonwiz P2 can't see My Cloud. It can see other devices (laptop and home computer) though.

It seems the only way I can play the movies from the NAS is to connect in a laptop. Is that right? Or is there a software dvd player (such as VLC Media Player) that can be run from the Beyonwiz or the PS3?

TIA ... Greg
Beyonwiz V2
Eero 6 router
FTTP
OLED 55B6T tv

glow
Guru

Re: playing DVDs stored on my cloud on Panasonic TH-P65VT20A

Post by glow » Sun Apr 26, 2015 17:08

My DP-P1 and Dp-S1 can see the WD MyCloud I have on my network.
Did you do a scan from your Beyonwiz in the network part of the file player?
That said, playback of MyCloud video on my Wizzes is not very good. I've got them connected via powerline adapters and they struggle to play DVD ISOs and HD mp4 files which play fine from an external USB HDD. The Wizzes can play SD content ok over the network.

gvm
Apprentice

Post by gvm » Sun Apr 26, 2015 21:08

Thanks very much Glow for your reply. I used the scan and now the PVR can see My Cloud. It even renders the top menu which the PS3 and TV couldn't seem to do. However, I can't navigate around the top menu in order to select scenes, set audio options, etc. Is there a trick to this? TIA ... Greg
Beyonwiz V2
Eero 6 router
FTTP
OLED 55B6T tv

glow
Guru

Post by glow » Mon Apr 27, 2015 08:46

LIST button on the Wiz remote should bring up the DVD menu.
Arrow keys should navigate menus and function and skip when playing the video.
|<< and >>| skip to chapters

What version firmware are using?
For DP-P2 01.07.xxx doesn't support DVD playback but 01.05.xxx does.
Depends on your serial number which you can run.
http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/downloads.php

When you navigate to the DVD folder or ISO the Wiz should say "ISO Image DVD Video Detected" and start playing the DVD or ask if you want to resume play from previous position.

gvm
Apprentice

Post by gvm » Mon Apr 27, 2015 20:08

Thanks again. My firmware version is 1.07 so it looks like I can't expect much by way of playing dvds easily from the cloud. Strange isn't it that the older pvr's have more functionality,

So it seems the only good way of playing dvds is to hook in a laptop.
Thanks
Greg
Beyonwiz V2
Eero 6 router
FTTP
OLED 55B6T tv

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Apr 27, 2015 20:23

gvm wrote:... Strange isn't it that the older pvr's have more functionality, ...
Not when you consider the context. The DP-S1 had a built-in DVD player and obviously needed DVD play capability. That carried over into other models that used the same firmware base, but as I understand it, carried a licencing cost. When the new processor was used in the later DP-P2s and the Lites, a new firmware version was needed, but none of those models had a DVD player, so the capability (and presumably the added cost) was also dropped.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Tue Apr 28, 2015 01:01

The other factor was compatibility with 3D/H.264 broadcasts. The 1.05 series firmware could not handle those properly, whereas the 1.07 series firmware can.

But, the main reason for the difference in the various model series is the hardware revision of the chip. The newer revision requires the 1.07 series firmware, it will not run with the older 1.05 series.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

gvm
Apprentice

Post by gvm » Tue Apr 28, 2015 18:15

Thanks for the extra info .... Greg
Beyonwiz V2
Eero 6 router
FTTP
OLED 55B6T tv

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: playing DVDs stored on my cloud on Panasonic TH P65VT20A

Post by MrQuade » Fri Oct 27, 2017 00:24

Baircarsese wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 00:13
I know its possible to rip the US dvd to my hard drive , convert the region and burn it onto a dvd so I can play it normaly here in the UK playing it on the computer is giving me a headache .................but the question is how???? - whats the software involved and where do I get it from?
Your post rings every alarm bell in my head for this being the beginning of another spam attack. This thread is 7 years old, you are a single post user, and you do not appear to be someone who owns a Beyonwiz STB. The mods will have their eye on you I think.

However, the answer to your question is that you want to download Handbrake.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Return to “Networking your Beyonwiz DP Series”