Connecting to a new network

PC, Mac and Linux Networking Hints and Tips.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Confused
Master

Connecting to a new network

Post by Confused » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:24

Even though I have had a DP-S1 for a few years I'm only now setting up networking. I have my cat cable installed & connected to an 8 port router that had DHCP which I under stand means that it can if necessary assign addresses.

A friend told me that my other newer PVR would be easier to configure so it's now up & running OK. I'm having a problem getting the B/W it to connect to my PC which runs Windows 7 64 bit. I suspect that all my problem are likely to be at the PC end. With the other PVR I'm connecting using Filezilla & its working OK.

I have gone to the B/W settings & tried both auto & manual & with both settings neither the green or red button does anything other than say 'Lan link down'. I should add that in Filezilla I have tried entering the B/W as a new connection & then used the settings from the B/W settings screen. I notice that the B/W doesn't ask me for a user name or password like the other PVR did.

That do I do next?
Thanks In advance
T2,Topfield 7160,Harmony 650 Remote,TCL TV Model 70P10US,Chromecast

raymondjpg
Guru

Re: Connecting to a new network

Post by raymondjpg » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:38

Confused wrote:I have gone to the B/W settings & tried both auto & manual & with both settings neither the green or red button does anything other than say 'Lan link down'.
My experience is with the DP-P2. I know nothing about the S1.

With the P2:

1. The green button never did work with Win 7
2. I have not seen an error message 'Lan link down' on the P2, but it may just mean that the Win 7 pc needs some tweaking for file sharing.

Someone here who knows about the S1 may have some suggestions, but if not I could go into Win 7 tweaks that work for the P2.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Apr 05, 2015 15:31

Filezilla cannot be used to copy files off a DP series Beyonwiz (any model). No Beyonwiz DP has an FTP server to allow that.

If you want to copy recordings off the DP under the control of a PC, you have to enable the DP as a WizPnP server in the Networks>WizPnP setup screen, and you need to use YARDWiz on the PC to do the copying..

However, from the "Lan link down" message it sounds like networking hasn't been enabled on the S1 at all. That needs to be done first before any networking functions can be done on a DP.

The "file sharing" that raymondjpg mentions can be used for the DP Beyonwiz to mount Windows shares made available from a PC or NAS (or any other Windows sharing server). That allows recordings to be copied off the Beyonwiz under control of the Beyonwiz (copy functions in the File Player).

However, recordings copied using the Beyonwiz File Player will be in the Beyonwiz internal form, and they can't easily be played or otherwise uesd on a PC.

YARDWiz can be used to copy recordings in either the Beyonwiz internal format, or as a single .ts (MPEG Transport Stream) file. That can be played by many PC media players.

There isn't really enough detail about what you've done to give much advice about how to get the basic network function working on the S1.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Sun Apr 05, 2015 17:34

prl wrote:The "file sharing" that raymondjpg mentions can be used for the DP Beyonwiz to mount Windows shares made available from a PC or NAS (or any other Windows sharing server). That allows recordings to be copied off the Beyonwiz under control of the Beyonwiz (copy functions in the File Player).
I was referring to the network file playback setup which has a red button for scan and a green button for find pc. OP may be referring to the red and green buttons for Apply and Status in the network setting of the setup dialogue. In which case the 'Lan link down' message could well indicate a networking error.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

Confused
Master

Post by Confused » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:17

The main reason that I was trying to set up networking was to try to get a few programs off of the machine for editing & keeping. I used to be easily copy the files off onto a USB formatted FAT32 but this function no longer works whether the formatting is done by the machine or a PC or if I use the front or rear port.

"If you want to copy recordings off the DP under the control of a PC, you have to enable the DP as a WizPnP server in the Networks>WizPnP setup screen, and you need to use YARDWiz on the PC to do the copying..

I have no idea what WizPnP or YardWiz are.

Thanks anyway
Thanks In advance
T2,Topfield 7160,Harmony 650 Remote,TCL TV Model 70P10US,Chromecast

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:28

Yardwiz is a PC utility to transfer files off the DP series BW's either as TS files or native BW TVWIZ format . Just do a forum search and you will find the download site.
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
LED TV SONY Bravia 75" Local dimming ~ Retired Samsung ES8000 65" ~
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

blip
Master

Post by blip » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:31

YardWiz thread is here
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6351

WizPNP is the networking protocol used by the DP series beyonwiz. You need to enable the WizPNP server on the beyonwiz by entering setup then arrow across to network then down to WizPNP.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Mon Apr 06, 2015 22:14

Link down means that your Ethernet port is not working. Check cabling and try a different port on your router / switch.

However, your comment about USB no longer working and the fact that this is an old DP-S1 leads me to believe that you have a failing power supply on your DP-S1. It may have already caused permanent damage to the motherboard. Have you had your DP-S1 power supply looked at / refurbished since getting the S1?

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

Return to “Networking your Beyonwiz DP Series”