Network Tips - Mac

PC, Mac and Linux Networking Hints and Tips.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

prl
Wizard God

Network Tips - Mac

Post by prl » Mon Oct 01, 2007 16:39

Using network share folders with Mac OS X

Thanks to tonymy01 for the information about the effects of netmask on scanning the network for shares. Thanks to GB for assistance with information about setting up 'Sharing Only' accounts.

Although the Beyonwiz manual and Network Setup section of the menu call this "Windows Sharing" it will work just fine with a Mac. Windows Sharing is the SMB network sharing protocol.
These tips assume that the network is already set up between your Beyonwiz(s) and your Mac. To test whether it is, see Testing the network from a Mac to a Beyonwiz using ping.

OS X 10.7 Lion does not support Network Sharing with Beyonwizes - Important! Includes workaround information.

In Lion, Apple have moved away from the freeware Samba server for Windows Shareing support, and have developed their own server, SMBX. This apparently does not interoperate with the older Samba client in the Beyonwiz firmware (or with some other embedded Linux products such as Popcorn Hour and XMBC).

John Large has posted a workaround that installs the Samba 3 server on Lion, and this apparently does support the Beyonwiz client (and other older clients - John Large's intention was to support sharing to an XMBC). This workaround assumes a certain amount of familiarity with the Unix environment on OS X Terminal, hand configuration of Samba and the use of text editors. I have not personally tested this workaround.

Thanks to Rockets for the information about the change to the Windows Sharing servers in Lion, and to mitty for tracking down John Large's workaround post. And, of course, to John Large for the workaround itself.

OS X 10.5.4 update, OS X 10.4 2008-004 security update and networking - Important!
In OS X 10.5.4 (Leopard) update and in OS X 10.4 (Tiger) security update, a new version of the server program, smbd, which supports Windows Sharing on OS X, is installed by the update. This server program crashes and the Beyonwiz hangs when a Beyonwiz tries to access Windows Sharing on the Mac after the updates are installed. There is a workaround to restore Windows Sharing to the Beyonwiz, but the workaround re-installs the old version of smbd that has a security flaw that was intended to be fixed by the updates.

OS X 10.4 1008-005 security update also installs the new version of smbd, so you will need to re-apply the workaround to restore Windows Sharing to your Beyonwiz if you install 2008-005 on an OS X 10.4 Mac, too.

This problem is fixed by MacOS X Leopard 10.5.5. If you have had this problem in 10.5.4, and were unwilling or unable to use the workaround, then updating to 10.5.5 should fix the problem.

This problem is not fixed for MacOS X Tiger 10.4.x by installing Security Update 2008-006 (see also this post from brendonh).

This advice is important when setting up DHCP on your ADSL Router and it comes care of Forum User Tonymy01
Ensure you setup the router DCHP server so that it gives out a 255.255.255.0 netmask (subnet mask), as this will limit the number of machines able to connect to 253 machines, and then the network scan that the wiz does looking for active IP addresses will only take seconds, not hours!

If DHCP is distributing netmask values like 255.0.0.0 or 255.255.0.0, the Beyonwiz will scan tens of millions (in the first case) or tens of thousands (in the second case) of network addresses to try to find you Mac's PC shares.

Setting the Mac username for Windows Sharing on the BW

Note: Older Firmware versions before 01.04.144 do not have the Windows Sharing option. If you do not see the Windows Sharing option on your beyonwiz's Networking menu you need to update the firmware.

Unless you choose one of the read-only access options below, you need to set the username and password of a user on your Mac in the Beyonwiz Setup>Network>Windows Sharing.
The username to use is the Mac short username, which is quite likely to be different from the one you use to log in to your Mac. It is usually at least all lower case when the normal Mac username is mixed case. It is not your .Mac username if you have one. Case ins important in the user name (Peter is a different username from peter).

If you don't know what your Mac short username is:

On MacOS X 10.5 (Leopard), open System Preferences>Accounts, and Control-click (or right-click on a multi-button mouse) on the user whose short name you want, and select Advanced Options. The advanced options panel will pop up and the Short Username is one of the fields. Don't modify anything here! Use Cancel to close the panel.

On MacOS X 10.4 (Tiger), open System Preferences>Accounts, and click (or right-click on a multi-button mouse) on the user whose short name you want. The short name is displayed in the panel.

Sharing your home folder - OS X 10.4 (Tiger) and OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

If you are running Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) this is the only sharing you can do easily without downloading and installing software for your Mac.
  1. In Apple>System Preferences>Sharing, tick Windows Sharing (Mac OS X 10.4 - Tiger); or in Apple>System Preferences>Sharing>Options (Mac OS X 10.5 - Leopard), tick Share files and folders using SMB. You can tick others file sharing options in both 10.4 and 10.5, too if you want, but they can't be used by your Beyonwiz.
  2. In Apple>System Preferences>Sharing>Accounts (10.4), or Apple>System>Preferences>Sharing>Options (10.5) tick each of the users' home folders you want to share. You'll be asked for each user's password in turn. On 10.5, make sure all of the users' home folders you want to share are in the Shared Folders list; if not use + under the list to add them.
  3. On the Beyonwiz, in Setup>Network>Windows Sharing, set the username to one of the the short account names you enabled in step 2, and the password to that user's password. When you enter the password, it will be shown in the type-in box, but not in the Windows Sharing screen.
  4. Then go to File Play>Network, and press YELLOW for Clear All PC, then press RED for Scan. You should see the name of your Mac appear in the menu.
  5. Press OK, then OK again and you should see your home folder under the short accountname. You can now navigate around in it, copy files to and from it, and stream media from your Mac.
  6. Only the folder you've set the user name/password for will be visible, even if several users are set up for sharing. To see another user's folder, change the username/password, Clear All PC, then Scan.
NB: When you enable your account for sharing, your password is stored in a file in the Mac somewhere. I haven't been able to find out where. This is not good, but unfortunately it's the way that SMB/CIFS authentication needs it to work.

On OS X 10.5 (Leopard), when you share a user's home folder this way, when the Beyonwiz connects to the Mac, it will see the user's home folder, and all the disk volumes on the Mac as well. If you want to avoid this, see "Sharing Only accounts - OS X 10.5 (Leopard)" below.

Sharing other folders from your Mac - OS X 10.4 (Tiger)

It's possible to edit /etc/smb.conf from a Mac Terminal window to do this configuration, but it's not for the faint of heart. Fortunately the donationware Sharepoints makes the configuration much easier.

Sharepoints isn't a Mac OS X package; you have to install it by hand, but it's not hard. The instructions are in the README folder of the Sharepoints.dmg file (in English, French, Italian & Japanese). The installation instructions are near the end of the file.

Sharing other folders read-only from your Mac - OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
  1. In Apple>System Preferences>Sharing, tick Windows Sharing. You don't need to enable any users.
  2. In Apple>System Preferences>Sharepoints, set up your shares. Share Name is the name that you'll see the share as on the Beyonwiz. Directory is the name of the folder you want to share. Tick Allow Windows Guests for each share. Allow at least read permission for all of Owner, Group and Everyone.
  3. On the Beyonwiz, you don't need to have any username/password set, though it doesn't appear to matter if a valid username/password is there.
  4. Clear All PC, Scan and explore the share as above.
  5. You'll be able to copy files from your Mac and stream media from it but you won't be able to copy files to it. Guest access is read-only. If you try to copy to the Mac you'll get an error saying there isn't enough space. Strange message, but that's what you get.
  6. You may also see folders corresponding to printers on your Mac. This has been reported for some Canon Pixmar printers, but it may happen for others, too. You can't use them, and there doesn't seem to be a way to make them go away.
Sharing other folders read-write from your Mac - OS X 10.4 (Tiger)

This is a combination of the other two setups.
  1. In Apple>System Preferences>Sharing, tick Windows Sharing.
  2. In the same panel, click on Accounts, and tick each of the home folders you want to share. You'll be asked for each user's password in turn.
  3. On the Beyonwiz, in Setup>Network>Windows Sharing, set the username to one of the the short account names you enabled in step 2, and the password to that user's password. When you enter the password, it will be shown in the type-in box, but not in the Windows Sharing screen.
  4. In Apple>System Preferences>Sharepoints, set up your shares. Share Name is the name that you'll see the share as on the Beyonwiz. Directory is the name of the folder you want to share. You may also tick Allow Windows Guests for shares. Set the user name and permissions as though you were setting those permissions for a normal folder. They only apply to the top-level share folder. You'll probably also want to tick Inherit permissions from parent. This will mean that new folders and recordings will inherit the permissions of the top folder.
  5. If you already have folders & files in your share, set them up with the appropriate permissions. That will probably be the same as your setup for the top-level share folder.
  6. Clear All PC, Scan and explore the share as above.
  7. You'll be able to copy to and from, and stream media from the Mac as though you were the user that the Beyonwiz has in its username/password.
  8. When you change settings on the Mac, you almost always have to Scan again. Regularly Clear All PC, then Scan.
Sharing other folders read-only from your Mac - OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
  1. In Apple>System Preferences>Accounts, create a Guest account if there isn't one already (click + under the accounts list, and select Sharing Only in the account creation pane. Don't set a password.
  2. Click on the Guest account and make sure Allow guests to connect to shared folders is ticked.
  3. In Apple>System Preferences>Sharing set up the folders you want to share. Allow Read access for Everyone. You'll also need to make sure that Everyone has read access in all files and subfolders that you want guest to have access to.
  4. Follow steps 3-6 in Sharing other folders read-only from your Mac - OS X 10.4 (Tiger).
Sharing other folders read-write from your Mac - OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

On Mac OS X 10.5 this is the same as Sharing your home folder, but you simply put whatever folders you want to share in the Shared Folders list in Apple>System Preferences>Sharing using the + and - buttons. You'll need to make sure that the user who wants to access the shared folder has the appropriate permissions both in the Sharing panel and in the Mac OS folders and files themselves. As noted in the Sharing your home folder section, all volumes on the Mac will be visible if viewed this way. To avoid that, and to be able to use a different password for sharing files to the Beyonwiz than is used for "real" accounts on the Mac, see the next section.

Sharing Only accounts - OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

OS X 10.5 allows the creation of "Sharing Only" accounts, which are well suited to accessing shares on you Mac. The only drawback is that any files that are copied from the Beyonwiz to the Mac will be owned by the sharing account, and not by any "normal" account on the Mac.

To set up a Sharing Only account:
  • Open Apple>System Preferences>Accounts, and click '+' under the list of users to add the account.
  • Select Sharing Only in the New Account popup pane.
  • Enter the main fields (user name, short user name, password, etc) as normal.
  • On OS X 10.5 and 10.5.1, there is a bug in SMB sharing that prevents Sharing Only accounts from being listed as available for sharing (:!: :roll:). To work around this, change the user's Login Shell from /usr/bin/false to one of the shells in the dropdown list (say, /bin/sh). There are more details about this in the Apple Discussions forum. The workaround was suggested there by biovizier, and spelt out in detail by akseez.
  • Click OK to create the account.
  • Set up sharing as for a normal user in Sharing other folders read-write from your Mac - OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
  • When that is done, for 10.5 and 10.5.1, Control-click on the Sharing Only user (it may now be noted as a normal user), select Advanced Options, and change the Login Shell back to /usr/bin/false. If you exit from System Preferences, then return to Apple>System Preferences>Accounts, the Sharing Only user should be listed as such in the list of users.
Testing the network from a Mac to a Beyonwiz using ping.
  1. On the Beyonwiz, in Setup>Network>Setting>LAN (or W-LAN), press GREEN for Status, and note the entry in IP Address.
  2. In Applications>Utilities>Network Utility, click on the Ping tab.
  3. Enter the IP Address from the Beyonwiz in the type-in box under Please enter the network address to ping.
  4. Click on Send only, and enter a small number, say 2, in the box.
  5. Click on Ping. You should see something like

Code: Select all

Ping has started ...

PING 10.1.1.4 (10.1.1.4): 56 data bytes
          64 bytes from 10.1.1.4: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=1.106 ms
          64 bytes from 10.1.1.4: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.588 ms

--- 10.1.1.4 ping statistics ---
          2 packets transmitted, 2 packets received, 0% packet loss
          round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.588/0.847/1.106/0.259 ms
    Where it says 10.1.1.4 here, you should see the IP Address you entered in the typein box. Some of the other numbers may be different, too, especially the "time' entries. If you don't see "64 bytes from..." messages, there's a problem with the net. The messages you get do give some hints about what's wrong, but that's beyond the scope of this FAQ.
Using WizFX on a Mac
Vatoe wrote: - I can report for any Mac users that may have Parallels installed that WizFX will work seamlessly with your Mac & Parallels. I have used it in 'coherence mode' which allows me to continue working with my Mac apps. Checking networking performance via iStat seems to suggest a download rate of 1 MB/S which is confirmed via Parallels / Windows XP networking performance in task manager. This seems to be consistent with what other Windows users have reported.

Couple of 'tricks':
  • I couldn't see my Wizzy at first via WizFX - I ended up entering the IP address (static) of the Wizzy into the Favourites setting. Not sure if Windows users had to do this?
  • Make sure that 'server' setting is enable on the Wizzy.
[/size]
Last edited by prl on Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:21, edited 12 times in total.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

samvenning
On probation

Post by samvenning » Wed Jan 02, 2008 16:11

If you are using Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard) you don't need to install SharePoints. Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard) allows you to share various folders and assign different privileges (user, group and guest access permissions) in the Finder.

SharePoints version 3.5.4 can be useful for Mac OS 10.4 (Tiger). SharePoints version 3.5.4 was released April 2006.

SharePoints
http://www.hornware.com/sharepoints/

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Jan 02, 2008 16:32

samvenning wrote:If you are using Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard) you don't need to install SharePoints. Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard) allows you to share various folders and assign different privileges (user, group and guest access permissions) in the Finder.

SharePoints version 3.5.4 can be useful for Mac OS 10.4 (Tiger). SharePoints version 3.5.4 was released April 2006.

SharePoints
http://www.hornware.com/sharepoints/
Thanks, you're quite right. Turning on Windows sharing is also handled differently in 10.5 from 10.4. I'll correct and add some instructions for 10.5.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Feb 12, 2008 14:15

Updated the main Tips posting (some time ago) to include instructions for Mac OS X 10.5.

Just added some clarification about why all volumes appear in tyhe shares seen by the Beyonwiz as well as the nominated folders, and added information (thanks GB) about how to set up Sharing Only accounts to use with the Beyonwiz.

Edit: OS X 10.5.2 has been released. I'll check whether the Sharing Only bug has been fixed in that and update accordingly.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

GB
Master

Post by GB » Tue Feb 12, 2008 16:00

Thanks Peter for updating the tips.

I had one query about this comment in the sticky:

"The only drawback is that any files that are copied from the Beyonwiz to the Mac will be owned by the sharing account, and not by any "normal" account on the Mac."

Assuming I understand what you mean :wink: , I have not encountered this an issue. I have set up my sharing account so that it shares the main public folder (which is of course owned by the relevant normal (or "standard" in Leopard-speak) account). Any files copied there from the P1 via the sharing account are fully accessible by that standard account (can be copied, deleted, modified, etc).

Necessarily - it seems to me - the sharing account must be given access to folders of one or more standard accounts, as no user/account folders are created for a sharing only account (so far as I can tell). That should mean, then, that the relevant standard accounts should always be able to deal with those files.

Greg

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Feb 12, 2008 16:10

Hi, Greg. I must admit that I posted that bit about ownership without testing it.

I have a rather different setup to you; I have all my BW shares outside my home folder. I'll add my public folder to the sharing, and actually try doing some copying, then I'll correct as necessary.

Thanks,
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Feb 13, 2008 18:16

When I copy files to my Mac from the BW using a Sharing Only account, the folder and files of the recording end up owned by the Sharing Only user.

The only exception I found is when the volume has "Ignore ownership on this volume" ticked. In that case the file & folder ownership appears to be inherited from the enclosing folder.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

photodude
Apprentice

does this work to apple tv?

Post by photodude » Fri Mar 21, 2008 22:43

hi there was wondering if i bought a beyonwiz box and connected cat 6 through a switch if a apple tv will play the files from the beyonwiz?

DaveR
Wizard

Re: does this work to apple tv?

Post by DaveR » Sat Mar 22, 2008 06:01

photodude wrote:hi there was wondering if i bought a beyonwiz box and connected cat 6 through a switch if a apple tv will play the files from the beyonwiz?
Short answer is No. Slightly longer answer is maybe one day, but not yet.
cheers
DaveR

IceTV, T4, T3, T2, P2, S1, FV-L1(P1 fw), TRF-2460, HDR-7500 and Skippa

photodude
Apprentice

Post by photodude » Sat Mar 22, 2008 07:57

bugger.
i figured cause i was told that a beyonwiz records ins the h.264 format so i figured it might read it.
(well i read that aswell!)

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 09:39

It doesn't record TV in that format. It records TV in the format it was broadcast in, i.e. MPEG-2 transport stream.
Regards
Tony

photodude
Apprentice

Post by photodude » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:08

bugger well there goes that set up.

any other suggestions
guess av sender hey?

DaveR
Wizard

Post by DaveR » Sat Mar 22, 2008 19:20

photodude wrote:any other suggestions
guess av sender hey?
Beyonwiz can play files off your Mac. Or if your apple TV can save it's files on a NAS (or even your Mac) then the beyonwiz can play them.

Or multiple beyonwizes can play files off each other's HDD.
cheers
DaveR

photodude
Apprentice

Post by photodude » Sun Mar 30, 2008 00:28

"Beyonwiz can play files off your Mac"

Then why cant a mac read beyonwiz files??

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sun Mar 30, 2008 00:38

Hi Photodude,
photodude wrote:"Beyonwiz can play files off your Mac"

Who said they can't? Beyonwiz files are just MPEG encoded Transport Stream (TS) files, I assume MACs should be able to play them.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Mar 30, 2008 06:54

IanSav wrote:Hi Photodude,

Who said they can't? Beyonwiz files are just MPEG encoded Transport Stream (TS) files, I assume MACs should be able to play them.

Regards,
Ian.
I think it is true that a Mac can't play Beyonwiz files using only the software supplied by Apple with the Mac. Quicktime Player can't open it, DVD Player won't even try, iMovie HD won't open it, and nor will iDVD.

Photodude, you need to do some conversion on the files to play them with, say, Quicktime Player. I use MPEG Streamclip (freeware), but other tools can do the job. I think, but I'm not certain, that to do the conversion below, you also need to buy QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component. Try it without the component, and only buy it if you can't Export to MPEG.

Install Streamclip, and run it. Go to Files>Open Files...; navigate to the folder where the Beyonwiz recording is stored; select All Files from the dropdown list at the bottom of the file browser; select all the files with names 0000, 0001, ...; click Open; when the popup saying "File open error: unsupported file type" comes up, click on Open Anyway; and then File>Convert to MPEG...; edit the file if you want to; and then save the file as an MPEG. If you don't want to do the conversion, you can use Window>Full Screen to play the recording inside Streamclip.

That file will play in Quicktime Player.

If you've edited the recording on the Beyonwiz, or made the recording from the timeshift buffer, the converted file may have some program material that you thought wasn't in the recording. If the recording was made from the timeshift buffer, the file numbering may not sart from 0000; just select all the files with 4-digit names.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

photodude
Apprentice

Post by photodude » Sun Mar 30, 2008 09:31

IanSav wrote:Hi Photodude,

Regards,
Ian.
so then maybe a apple tv would be able to read from it once it was told where to collect the files from.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sun Mar 30, 2008 09:56

Hi Photodude,

As Peter has explained, the MAC has no inbuilt ability to play TS files. (I am not a MAC user so I don't know its capabilities).

Any modifications of an Apple TV to work with the Beyonwiz are well beyond the scope of work for Beyonwiz or most of the users on this forum. Perhaps you should be asking these sorts of questions on an AppleTV forum.

Regards,
Ian.

photodude
Apprentice

Post by photodude » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:35

cool.
thanks for that.
its pretty much what i needed to know.
guess ill stick with the mac mini htpc set up.

DaveR
Wizard

Post by DaveR » Sun Mar 30, 2008 16:53

I get the impression that photodude is asking about accessing the beyonwiz's files directly off the beyonwiz's HDD?

If so, Windows can't even play files off the BW's HDD yet. But the source for how to access files on the BW's HDD (WizFX source) has been released so maybe an application to stream files is not too far away.
cheers
DaveR

Vatoe
Master

Post by Vatoe » Wed Jun 04, 2008 18:54

Actually if you use efry's excellent WizMac software to transfer the file as .TS, you play the file very easily using VLC player for Mac. VLC player can be found here.

cheers,

John

pajamas

Freezing and not enough space

Post by pajamas » Tue Aug 26, 2008 14:34

Hi,

I've followed the instructions posted at the head of this thread carefully and am still having a problem.

The current status of my setup is:

1. the Mac can ping the Beyonwiz

2. the Mac and Boyonwiz appear to be wirelessly connected as confirmed by pressing Setup>Network> GREEN Status Button.

3. the username and password have been checked and are correct (checked capitilisation!)

4. I've entered the IP address of the Mac in the File Play>Network screen as the scanning was taking forever (probably due to the subnet mask)

5. The name of the Mac appearing on the Beyonwiz does not match that of the Mac - it is a MAC address.

6. I can see the three users home folders on the Mac on the Beyonwiz, however

a) when I try to copy a small file from the Beyonwiz to the appropriate home folder on the Mac I get the message 'Not Enough Space' - but there is plenty.

b) when I try to play a file from the appropriate home folder, the Beyonwiz freezes at the point when the three home folders appear on the screen.

Any tip or tricks much appreciated.

Hmm, just noted that I have the July Firmware upgrade. Might the August edition help? (I didn't get an email about the August update from Beyonwiz either...)

Might it be something to do with how home folder sharing privileges are set up? At the moment, they allow all users to read and write to all home folders.

Cheers

Paul

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Re: Freezing and not enough space

Post by IanSav » Tue Aug 26, 2008 14:55

Hi Paul,

Welcome!
pajamas wrote:a) when I try to copy a small file from the Beyonwiz to the appropriate home folder on the Mac I get the message 'Not Enough Space' - but there is plenty.
This usually indicates that the Beyonwiz is using "Guest" access to the computer and not the account data you registered. Guest access can't be used to write to the computer. I would carefully check the username and password you entered into the Beyonwiz to ensure there isn't a "typo".

The issues with reading a file could definitely relate to file and folder security issues. Someone familiar with MACs may be able to assist you there.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:37

pajamas wrote:H...
b) when I try to play a file from the appropriate home folder, the Beyonwiz freezes at the point when the three home folders appear on the screen.

Are you running OS X 10.5.4, or 10.3 with the latest security patches? If so, see this post for a workaround to the freezing problem.

And yes, it should be on the Mac tips page. I'll put it there ASAP.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

pajamas

Post by pajamas » Wed Aug 27, 2008 13:40

I'm running 10.5.4 (Leopard) on a 2.66 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo running 4GB or RAM with 130GB of free disk space.

Mac software is up to date - just ran the update to check... No security patches to install, they all must be there.

I'll try the work around, and then post back the results.

Thanks for the response.

Paul

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Aug 27, 2008 14:11

pajamas wrote:... No security patches to install, they all must be there.
The security fix (to smbd) is the problem :(
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Aug 27, 2008 15:09

prl wrote:
pajamas wrote:H...

Are you running OS X 10.5.4, or 10.3 with the latest security patches? If so, see this post for a workaround to the freezing problem.

And yes, it should be on the Mac tips page. I'll put it there ASAP.
This problem is now in the Network Tips - Mac main post, with links to the original posts about the problem and the workaround.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

pajamas

Post by pajamas » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:36

Guys,

Thanks for the tips above regarding the latest Mac Security Update.

I applied the fixes suggested a couple of weeks ago - with no result. Which is why I didn't post a reply.

Today, I noticed that the computer was not connected to the beyonwiz, so I reconnected, and WHAM! I am able to copy files from the beyonwiz to the Mac.

Not really sure why your fixes didn't work in the first instance (despite restarts etc.), but it works now.

Thanks and Cheers

Paul

wappinghigh
Apprentice

Wow. Beyonwiz rules!

Post by wappinghigh » Sun May 03, 2009 21:13

Hi guy's, Newbie here.

Got a new Beyonwiz today and am up and running. Networked.

What is the difference between a .wiz file and a .ts file?
Also is thre any way of converting them to a format that you can drag into and play in itunes?

Thanks guys.

:D

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Sun May 03, 2009 21:59

tvwiz format is just the native format. It has some header files with some of the EPG details in the files, and the main transport stream files are a bunch of 0000 00001 etc files 32megabyte each so it can support large files on a FAT32 operating system and very quick file editing. ts files are simply the concatenation of the 0000 0001 etc files into a single ts file. A TS file is an MPEG2 transport stream file. VLC should play it no problems, certainly on the PC it generally works (although "The KMPlayer" is better). Netmask should give some Mac hints, he does video watching and editing all the time on his Mac.
Another hint is to give "projectx" a go which is a java application, and turn the "TS" file into an MPEG2 PS (program stream) which may be better supported with your existing mac apps. I think mac owners have to bite the bullet and purchase MPEG2 decoding support though... (I thought VLC was immune to this as it uses its own inbuilt decoder, certainly on the PC this is the way it works).
If you want to play back the file on the Wiz again, keep it as tvwiz, but if you have no intentions of wanting to play on the wiz again, then convert to TS (the wiz sometimes mucks up the playback speed or aspect etc of TS files, and doesn't support the embedded subtitles of TS files but is fine with its own tvwiz file format).
Regards
Tony

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun May 03, 2009 23:16

WizFX (Windows PC only, GUI) can convert tvwiz format into a single transport stream file. getWizPnP (Windows, OSX, Linux, command line) can, too. So can WizMac (OS X only) and WizZilla (Windows GUI frontend to getWizPnP). You can download WizFX from the Beyonwiz downloads page. The rest from http://www.beyonwizsoftware.net.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

wappinghigh
Apprentice

XBMC plays .ts files! Cool

Post by wappinghigh » Mon May 04, 2009 19:11

Hey guys.

Check out XBMC. Mac/PC/Linux even Appletv!

Will play .ts files Cool! Recorded Beyonwiz straight into a robust media centre. And on a Mac...

Cool!

slugdog
Apprentice

Re: Network Tips - Mac

Post by slugdog » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:19

I have an Apple TV, small black box type, not sure which generation but it has an HDMI and ethernet port.

I have a Beyonwiz DP-P2, which has HDMI and ethernet ports.

I have the latest model Time Capsule, which is the device which issues my wireless network.

I have a monitor with two HDMI ports. I know I can connect the Beyonwiz to the monitor, but having only one HDMI cable, I have the Apple TV connected via HDMI to the monitor.

What I'm wondering is whether I can make use of the Beyonwiz's ethernet port, connecting the Beyonwiz to the Time Capsule (which the Apple TV talks to wirelessly), and somehow access the Beyonwiz via the Apple TV interface on the monitor.

Should that work?

I have reviewed hawk_eyes' post of 27 Jan 2011, but didn't have much luck there, plus I suppose there's been 3 years worth of MacOS updates since then.

Worse case I buy another HDMI cable, but apart from buying the cable, I then need to manually flick the monitor between the HDMI ports to access either Apple TV or Beyonwiz.
Last edited by slugdog on Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:17, edited 1 time in total.

prl
Wizard God

Re: Network Tips - Mac

Post by prl » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:02

slugdog wrote:I...
Should that work?
No, it shouldn't.

Hawk_eye's post is about having the Beyonwiz play recordings from the Apple TV, which should work in principle, but may be hampered by the incompatibility of the Beyonwiz SMB client with Apple SMB servers since OS X Mountain Lion.

The other way round can't work, because the Beyonwiz can only share recordings via WizPnP, which Apple TV doesn't support, and the Beyonwiz isn't an SMB (Windows sharing) file server, only a client, so the Apple TV can't mount the Beyonwiz as a shared file system. The Beyonwiz doesn't support any other network file sharing mechanisms.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Return to “Networking your Beyonwiz DP Series”