Network issues connecting P2 to PC with crossed ethernet cab

PC, Mac and Linux Networking Hints and Tips.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

kentaylor65

Network issues connecting P2 to PC with crossed ethernet cab

Post by kentaylor65 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 14:17

I have a DP-P2 and a PC which I have connected with a crossed ethernet cable.

I am using a crossed ethernet cable because I only have 3G wireless internet connection and the mdoem/router only has USB or wireless connection - no ethernet :(

Now when I first did this I had access from the P2 to the PC and the P2 could access the internet through Internet Connection Sharing. But WizFX was unreliable and would only occassionally connect to the P2.

So I mucked around with the network settings (basically tried it with DHCP disabled) and I could get the P2 and the PC talking and WizFX appeared to work all the time but could no loger get the P2 to connect to the internet.

So I tried going back to DHCP Enabled and now it won't even connect at all. Gives LAN setup failure message. This error happens when I try to set DHCP enable and connect to my PC or my Laptop. so it must be a P2 issue ?

It still connects OK with fixed IP but WizFX doesn't see the P2 and the P2 can't get to the internet. I am uing 192.168.002 for the PC and 003 for the P2 - if I continue to use this what settings do I need for the Gateway and DNS server and are the gateway/DNS settings likely to be the reason I can't get to the internet ?

I did change some share settings but I don't think that would be the issue here.

I restored the P2 back to factory settings and did a system restore on my PC to set it back to prior to getting the P2 but it has made no difference.

And I have read through just about the entire Networking forum and no-one seems to have my setup or my problems so I couldn't fix it myself :(

Does anybody have a list of settings that the P2 and PC (Vista Home Premium) should be set to ? Or any ideas on what I should be looking at to try and fix this. I don't mind if it is fixed IP or DHCP as long as it works.

I only really want the internet for Ice TV and the PC connection so I can watch recordings on the PC.

Thanks

raymondjpg
Guru

Re: Network issues connecting P2 to PC with crossed ethernet

Post by raymondjpg » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:38

kentaylor65 wrote:It still connects OK with fixed IP but WizFX doesn't see the P2 and the P2 can't get to the internet. I am uing 192.168.002 for the PC and 003 for the P2 - if I continue to use this what settings do I need for the Gateway and DNS server and are the gateway/DNS settings likely to be the reason I can't get to the internet ?
You need four numbers for an ipv4 address i.e. XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX. If your router address is 192.168.1.1 then try 192.168.001.002 for the PC and 192.168.001.003 for the P2. If you have no other devices on the network this should work OK. If you do, it is best to assign IP addresses that are outside of the IP range that can be assigned by DHCP by the router.

The gateway will be the IP address of the router. This should pick up the DNS settings you need. If not you need to manually assign the DNS addresses that you should find by looking at the status of the router, probably on the same page that shows the status of the router's connection to the internet.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

kentaylor65

Post by kentaylor65 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:47

raymondjpg wrote:
kentaylor65 wrote:It still connects OK with fixed IP but WizFX doesn't see the P2 and the P2 can't get to the internet. I am uing 192.168.002 for the PC and 003 for the P2 - if I continue to use this what settings do I need for the Gateway and DNS server and are the gateway/DNS settings likely to be the reason I can't get to the internet ?
You need four numbers for an ipv4 address i.e. XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX. If your router address is 192.168.1.1 then try 192.168.001.002 for the PC and 192.168.001.003 for the P2. If you have no other devices on the network this should work OK. If you do, it is best to assign IP addresses that are outside of the IP range that can be assigned by DHCP by the router.

The gateway will be the IP address of the router. This should pick up the DNS settings you need. If not you need to manually assign the DNS addresses that you should find by looking at the status of the router, probably on the same page that shows the status of the router's connection to the internet.
hehehehe ooops - I meant 192.168.000.002 :oops:

So when I do an ipconfig it shows my wireless connection to the Telstra 4G router as IP 10.0.0.1, subnet mask 255.255.255.000, default gateway and DHCP server as 10.0.0.138

So I set the PC to be 10.0.0.2, P2 as 10.0.0.3 and the gateway as 10.0.0.138

Still didn't work - doesn't seem to matter what I do now I can't get the P2 to see my PC or my Laptop - either with DHCP or fixed adresses. Very frustrating - especially when it was working when I first got the P2.

Is there any way I can reset everything back to 'factory' or default settings and start again ?

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Sun Jul 21, 2013 17:50

kentaylor65 wrote:Is there any way I can reset everything back to 'factory' or default settings and start again ?
Shouldn't need to do that.

1. Go into the web UI of your router. The ip address that you type into the web browser will be your router's local IP address. (I'm not sure if it is 10.0.0.1 or 10.0.0.138, but I strongly suspect the former - unless you have changed it.) Somewhere in the status pages of your router there should be local network settings that show the router's IP address and submask.

2. Set the PC and P2 to 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.3 respectively, set the gateway to your router's IP address, and make sure you use the same netmask as the router. (Devices won't normally talk to each other on different subnets except through assignment of static routes.)

3. If your PC and the P2 don't pick up your ISP's DNS from the router, then assign them manually.

Should work, as should reverting to DHCP. btw 10.0.0.XXX is a very wide network, and it would be better to have 10.1.1.XXX addresses throughout. I seem to recall problems with the P2 on wide networks.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Jul 21, 2013 17:58

raymondjpg wrote:...
... Btw 10.0.0.XXX is a very wide network, and it would be better to have 10.1.1.XXX addresses throughout. I seem to recall problems with the P2 on wide networks.
When the netmask is 255.255.255.0, as was reported, there's no difference in the network size between 10.0.0.x and 10.1.1.x - both have 254 usable addresses, 10.0.0.1-10.0.0.254 resp. 10.1.1.1-10.1.1.254. In this scenario, 10.x.x.0 and 10.x.x.255 are reserved.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

kentaylor65

Post by kentaylor65 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 17:59

I have managed to get WizFX working which is the number 1 priority :)
I had to add the P2 as a favourite in WizFX before it would detect it - didn't have to do that when I first got it working - weird !!
Anyway its downloading a large file now so I will wait till thats finished and see if I can get the internet connection working then - thanks for your help so far :)

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Sun Jul 21, 2013 18:14

kentaylor65 wrote:...so I will wait till thats finished and see if I can get the internet connection working then - thanks for your help so far :)
That will depend on your devices being on the same subnet as the router, so make sure you confirm your router's local IP address and subnet mask through the router's web UI. As prl says if the subnet mask of the router is confirmed as 255.255.255.0 then 10.0.0.XXX addresses on your intranet should be fine.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Jul 21, 2013 18:52

kentaylor65 wrote:I have managed to get WizFX working which is the number 1 priority :)
I had to add the P2 as a favourite in WizFX before it would detect it - didn't have to do that when I first got it working - weird !!
Anyway its downloading a large file now so I will wait till thats finished and see if I can get the internet connection working then - thanks for your help so far :)
WizPnP (the protocol used by WizFX and WizPnP streaming between Beyonwizes) uses IP multicast to query the local network for WizPnP servers. It's possible that the router doesn't support multicast, or that it does, but multicast is disabled by default.

However, if your PC can reach the wider Internet, and the PC can reach the P2, then in the setup you've described the P2 should be able to reach the Internet, too.

Remember, though, that the only Internet services that Beyonwizes can access require you to have access to accounts. A WizTV account is free, an IceTV account is not. Once you have WizTV, you can access Picasa Web Albums, too, by accessing an existing PWA account (free, but storage-size limited accounts are available according to Wikipedia).
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

kentaylor65

Post by kentaylor65 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 19:07

No luck

confirmed my 4G router is 10.0.0.138, set my Laptop to 10.0.0.2, P2 set to 10.0.0.3, Default gateway and Primary DNS on P2 set to 10.0.0.138 and still no luck.

Removed the Gateway and DNS from P2 and just tried to connect the laptop using the 10.0.0.xx network and it wouldn't connect.

Given up and gone back to 192.168.0.xx - connected Laptop to P2 OK and now WizFX finds the P2 all by itself !!

Its just too hard - not going to worry about the internet or Ice TV and just use the ethernet connection to copy shows to the laptop :(

Thanks for your efforts anyway :)

kentaylor65

Post by kentaylor65 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 19:11

prl wrote:
kentaylor65 wrote:I have managed to get WizFX working which is the number 1 priority :)
WizPnP (the protocol used by WizFX and WizPnP streaming between Beyonwizes) uses IP multicast to query the local network for WizPnP servers. It's possible that the router doesn't support multicast, or that it does, but multicast is disabled by default.

However, if your PC can reach the wider Internet, and the PC can reach the P2, then in the setup you've described the P2 should be able to reach the Internet, too.

Remember, though, that the only Internet services that Beyonwizes can access require you to have access to accounts. A WizTV account is free, an IceTV account is not. Once you have WizTV, you can access Picasa Web Albums, too, by accessing an existing PWA account (free, but storage-size limited accounts are available according to Wikipedia).
I have an Ice TV account and the P2 was connected successfully and downloaded the TV guide and was recording the series shows from IceTV when I first set it up.
I only started mucking around because the WizFX wouldn't always find the P2 - maybe I should have left it and just been more patient...........
Thats why I can't understand why DHCP won't even go close to working now :(

Return to “Networking your Beyonwiz DP Series”