Windows Home Server

PC, Mac and Linux Networking Hints and Tips.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Lex200
Master

Windows Home Server

Post by Lex200 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 15:21

I am considering a NAS or Windows Home Server (WHS) to complement my new Wiz.

Has anyone used a WHS beta or the new release candidate with the DP-S1? I understand that it will use Windows Media Services, but I'm not sure what that means and whether it would work with the DP-S1.

In choosing a NAS device, what specs determine whether it will happily work with the DP-S1 e.g. DLNA, UPnP? Is there a listing of appropriate devices anywhere? I have see the posts in this forum that the InfrantNAS NV+ works, but wondered if there were other (less expensive) options.

Thanks

sctsprin
Master

NAS compatibility

Post by sctsprin » Thu Jun 14, 2007 16:23

My Thecus N2100 works fine with the dp-s1.

I believe you just need SMB protocol and either FAT, FAT32 or NTFS formatted drives and it should work fine.

I can watch DVD's ripped to .VOB files beautifully, as well as .avi's etc.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Thu Jun 14, 2007 19:35

Linksys NSLU2, either with original firmware or with alternative third party firmware (such as Unslung) is great.

Lex200
Master

Re: NAS compatibility

Post by Lex200 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 21:08

[quote="sctsprin"] I believe you just need SMB protocol and either FAT, FAT32 or NTFS formatted drives and it should work fine.

Thanks for the prompt replies.
I looked up SMB on wikipedia. It seems there are multiple standards including V2 introduced by Microsoft with Vista. Is a "NAS with SMB protocol" an adequate description for full compatibility with the DP-S1?

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Jun 15, 2007 00:26

Hi Lex200,

I use an Infrant ReadyNAS NV+ with my DP-S1.

As others have stated any device that offers Windows compatible shares should work. The only wrinkle is that the device must also support "Guest" access without a password. That is, the share must not be secured behind user login security.

The current DP-S1 firmware does not offer or require any of the fancier streaming protocols that most other media players use. I hope that furture firmware will add a media streaming compatible interface for users who want the more advanced media playback options that these platforms offer.

Regards,
Ian.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » Wed Jun 20, 2007 14:30

Just for the sake of curiosity, I got a hold of Windows Home server and loaded it on a spare box I had lying around.

The short answer as to whether this is capable of being a server for BW is yes.
The process is the same as opening up a machine from within a 2003 domain.
Make the everyone account enabled to anonymous access in local policies and viola the BW can see it as long as the everyone account is a part of the security settings for the share.

MS have rebadged windows 2003 server and stuck some vista front end stuff in it.
(This used to be called a ripoff now its called maximising profits). :D

Only handy part of Home Server that I have found is that you can combine stuff from multiple drives/folders into one share.

So lets say you have a share with movies from 2 different drives, you can plug in a usb external and make this a part of the share too.

This is distinctly different from DFS on server 2003 where multiple targets on the same machine to forma concetenated share are not supported.

Lex200
Master

WHS

Post by Lex200 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 15:15

Thanks for the information - very useful.
I have no experience of Windows Server 2003 but understood that WHS did more including automatic backup of networked computers, hot swap disks etc. It looks a tempting option to me to use on an old PC rather than buy a new NAS box.
Is the release candidate version stable? When does it expire?

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » Fri Jun 22, 2007 00:12

Is it Stable? It hasn't crashed on me yet but then I haven't really pushed it very hard as yet, I plan to give it a bit of a go this weekend putting 1.5tb of storage into the box and loading it up with vobs.
As for the automated backup stuff, I've always found this a bit amusing since I hound the kids not to leave their computers on when they aren't using them. After all I have to pay the bills. So the policy in my house is, if you have anything important, save it to your networked homedrive on the domain and it will be backed up.
Not sure when it will expire and all that, I'll cross that bridge if I think it is worth keeping.
I'll keep you posted on the stability etc

Return to “Networking your Beyonwiz DP Series”