Using Shares with DP-S1 (Some FAQ)

PC, Mac and Linux Networking Hints and Tips.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Mork
Master

Using Shares with DP-S1 (Some FAQ)

Post by Mork » Mon May 28, 2007 23:38

Guys,

It would be good if someone at Beyonwiz could post some hints on setting up the shares a PC to enable the DP-S1 to access them.

Also, when will the DP-S1 support SMB Authentication/security on the Shares so we don't have to open up our servers to hacking.
EDIT: Authentication is now a feature of the current firmware...

Note: Older Firmware versions before 01.04.144 do not have the Windows Sharing option. If you do not see the Windows Sharing option on your beyonwiz's Networking menu you need to update the firmware.
Back to the Forum with a new V2. (RIP my ever trusty DP-S1 and DP-Lite) :D

bohemian
Master

My observations.

Post by bohemian » Wed May 30, 2007 16:03

Network / Firewall settings on the PC:

:arrow: The following info applies mostly to Windows XP, but has info applicable to other OS as well.

Your software firewall must allow incoming and outgoing connections to system via UDP ports 137 , 138. This is so the Beyonwiz can find the PCs name and display it in the beyonwiz file playback screen under Network.
These ports are active and listening when NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled on your PC

You also need to allow local port 445 TCP incomming to your PC with a remote IP address of the Beyonwiz to system. I have found this is the port the Bwiz uses for streaming files.

These ports and also port 139 are part of Windows file sharing or NetBIOS. You should be able to find reference to these in your firewall. It may be called SMB or Windows Filesharing or Printer and file sharing, I think you get the drift :)

:!: :arrow: You should check in your software firewall that these ports 137, 138, 139 and 445 only have acces to your local LAN.
If you have a router with NAT enabled, you are probably safe.
It may be a good idea to check your security by running this free test to check if your PC is safe using NetBIOS over TCP/IP:
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Once the page has loaded:
Click Proceed , then the File Sharing tab on the left

If all is good then the result shoud be :
Your Internet port 139 does not appear to exist!
and Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.

:idea: Knowing where your Software firewall creates its logs or where to view them, can be an invaluable tool in trouble shooting.
The logs can tell you if network traffic is being blocked, which helps you to create / alter existiing firewall rules to allow specific network connections you need.

All firewalls are different, and logging information can be scarce, so you may have to do some research into the logging options your firewall has.

:!: :arrow: For the Beyonwiz to find the PCs on your Local Area network, NetBIOS over TCP/IP needs to be enabled.

By default it should already be enabled, which is the first Default option in the link shown below.

Open the Control Panel ---> Network Connections ---> Right click Local Area Connection and select Properties ---> Intenet Protocol TCP / IP ---> Properties ---> Advanced ---> WINS ---> NetBIOS Setting ---> Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP

:!: The previous path to enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP is not the default path using the Control Panel. I have my folder settings set to Windows Classic Folders , if you have not made this change then you can find this setting by:

Open the Control Panel ---> Network and internet Connections --> Network Connections ---> Right click Local Area Connection and select Properties ---> Intenet Protocol TCP / IP ---> Properties ---> Advanced ---> WINS ---> NetBIOS Setting ---> Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP

A reboot of the PC is recomended after changing network settings.

It is best if the filesharing ports are only allowed access to your local LAN.
In my case all devices in the range 192.168.1.1 --> 192.168.1.255, yours may vary.
This will then include the IP address of the Bwiz.

Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP)
If you are using DHCP to automatically set your network setttings, then you have to make sure that your PCs firewall allows LAN access to your entire LAN network .
DHCP must also be enabled on your PC, and in your Modem / router if it is acting as your DHCP server.

:!: :idea: :!: When using DHCP always make sure your DHCP server device is up and running first, such as your Modem / router. Then turn on your PC / Beyonwiz so they can access the DHCP server and configure their network settings.

:idea: It is sometimes more reliable to not use DHCP and assign a permanent IP address to a device, especially if you do not want the IP address of that device to ever change

An example of the TCP / IP propertiies screens are shown below, with a permanent IP address etc.

The right side shows a configuration where DHCP is not in use and I have configured a Static or permanent IP address for the device.

The address numbers I have chosen must be in the same subnet as my router 192.168.1.x, where X should be any number between say 33 and 253.
This range of numbers should be fine and not clash with other network devices on your network.

The Subnet Mask should be 255.255.255.0 as shown.

The Default gateway and Prefered or Primary DNS server should be the same. They are the default IP address of your Router in my case 192.168.1.254 is the network address of my Billion router.

To use DHCP to automatically configure the device then Obtain an IP address automatically should be selected.

:!: If you have more than one PC connected to your network, they all need to be part of the same Workgroup if using a standard desktop OS, or Domain if connected to a server OS.

You can check this configuration in: Control Panel --> System --> Computer Name
. . . . . Image

Or
Control Panel --> Performance and Maintenance --> System --> Computer Name

:!: The following Microsoft websites, gives examples of setting up your PC for home networking.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Window ... a1033.mspx

AND:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Window ... 31033.mspx

AND:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/usin ... fault.mspx

:arrow: Another link with lots of info including Windows VIsta networking.

......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Shares on the PC

:arrow: Since the September 22 - 01.04.144 firmware, a default user name and password can be set in the bwiz Network setup screen under Windows Sharing.
So now you can configure the bwiz with the User-name and Password of one of the user accounts from your PC.
This is great because now you do not need to enable the Guest account on your PC to allow the bwiz to connect.

:idea: :idea: :idea: It is recomended that all users configure a matching username and password on their Beyonwiz and on their PC

:arrow: If you are using a older firmware or the latest firmware then you can still use the info below to help setup your PC so the bwiz can connect.

.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

To create a share using Windows XP Home:
Use windows explorer, explorer.exe , select or create a new folder on the PC,

With your mouse, right click the folder and , select properties,

then select Sharing

Make sure Share this folder on the network is selected

Select Allow network users to change my files

And apply the changes.

The screen shot below shows these settings:

To create a share in XP Pro, use windows explorer and select or create a folder on your PC that you want to use for sharing/ streaming / copying to.

With your mouse, right click the folder and , select properties,

then select Sharing

Make sure Share this folder is selected

then select Permissinons

now select Everyone (or the user name on the PC : see idea :idea: below)

Down the bottom make sure Change and Read are ticked for the users you want the Beyonwiz to have access too.

:idea: Or if you are using the September 22 2007 firmware or later, you can remove Everyone and add the user name of the person you previously set up in the Beyonwiz Network setup screen.

Again in the bottom of the screen, make sure Change and Read are ticked.

:arrow: The image link below shows the sharing setup screens with important information in red.

The bottom part of the image is for Windows XP PRO users, who have turned off simple file sharing and may need to adjust the security settings.

now copy a Bwiz compatible media file into this directory, so the Bwiz will be able to see it.

:!: A simple test which will give a very basic indication of share access on your PC. It is a loopback test. Loopback is also called Localhost and its IP address is 127.0.0.1

Loopback allows your PC to connect to itself and in this case should list all your shares if they are accessable.

To do this test:

Click the Start button --> select Run --> then type \\ Full computer name and Enter.

NOTE the two backslashes \\ , and you find the Full Computer Name by going to the: Control Panel --> System --> Computer Name , as I demonstrated earlier : Image

or Control Panel --> Performance and Maintenance --> System --> Computer Name

Your full computer name should be listed here.

If your firewall isn't blocking the connection, and other sharing settings are set correctly, you should very quickly see all your shares.
NOTE: That even if this test works, access to your shares from your bwiz may still require more customization of your PC.

If you are using Windows XP home or Pro with the default sharing settings, the Bwiz should now have access to this share :|

:!: If you are having connection problems a simple network test to see if your PC etc. can connect to the bwiz at all, is to ping the bwiz.

But first you need to check the IP address of your bwiz using the Ethernet Setting screen shown in the image link:

once there use the Green button on your romote to display your bwiz current network settings, and take note of the IP address.

Now to ping the bwiz from your PC, with the mouse select the Start button,
then select Run,
then type in cmd
and finally in the command window that opens type ping THE IP.ADREESS.OF.BWIZ.HERE , and hit Enter on your keyboard.

You should see a screen similar to the example in the image link below, but use the correct IP address for your bwiz, not 192.168.1.4 like I used for the example.

From my example the first ping I do to 192.168.1.4 replys successfully.

The second ping to 192.168.1.1 times out ,and shows what happens if the device you are trying to connect to can not be reached.

..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................

If you are using XP Pro like myself here is some additionaly info for more advanced tweaking of the sharing settings.

Simple file sharing is the default settting for XP Pro and is less secure. When enabled the Guest account is also enabled and alows local and network access to your PC without the need for a password. Because It allows network access to shares without the need for a login username and password. This is the simplest way to allow sharing.

You can check if Simple file sharing is turned on in the Control panel --> Folder Options --> View --> scroll to the bottom and enable Use simple file sharing. . . . . .Image

Or
Control panel --> Appearance and Themes --> Folder Options --> View --> scroll to the bottom and enable Use simple file sharing. if you want to.

Obviously advanced users would know this because they probably turned it off in the first place 8)

:!: If you want to leave simple file sharing disabled then this is what I have done:

Enabled Guest in: Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Computer management --> Local users and groups --> Users --> Double click Guest then clear the box Account is disabled.
. . . . . Image

Or
Control Panel --> Performance and Maintenance --> Administrative Tools --> Computer management --> Local users and groups --> Users --> Double click Guest then clear the box Account is disabled.

Then in Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Local Security Policy --> User Rights Assignment --> Deny Access to this computer from the network --> I deleted Guest.

Or
Control Panel --> Performance and Maintenance --> Administrative Tools --> Local Security Policy --> User Rights Assignment --> Deny Access to this computer from the network --> I deleted Guest.

:idea: I then made sure that the share I was trying to access and any subdirectories, had Everyone or the user name set up in the bwiz Windows Sharing screen listed in the Security tab.
Also ensure that Modify is ticked so read and write access are available as shown in the image link below.

:idea: If the bwiz still cannot find your shares then you can try this script I adapted to set the restrictanonymous registry key. :!:
http://www.geocities.com/wormholealiens ... nymous.zip

The restrictanonymous registry key blocks or allows anonymous access to your PC.
A value of 0 allows access and a value of 1 blocks access.

First unzip the file, then double click the restrictanonymous.vbs file.

The window which pops up will show the current setting.

If the current setting is 0 , then you should leave that setting by clicking OK and then cancel on the next screen to exit the script.

If the setting is 1 or 2 then click OK to go the the next screen. Now enter 0 into the box and select OK to save the setting.

:!: :arrow: Very important, you need to reboot your PC to activate the new setting.

I have used Windows 2000 Pro previously and enabling the guest account as I mentioned earlier may work in the same way.

Idont have much experience with other OS so you may have to do more research.

.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

:!: If you are using Windows 2003 , then you will get some useful info from this post: http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?show ... t&p=690117
Below is the info from the above link, thanks go to dfp for comming up with the windows 2003 solution
  • In your local security policy or domain controller security policy depending if it is a DC server I have set the following security under Security Options
    Network access: Allow anonymous SID/name translation > Enabled
    Network access: Do not allow anonymous enumeration of SAM accounts > Disabled
    Network access: Do not allow anonymous enumeration of SAM accounts and shares > Disabled
    Network access: Let Everyone permissions apply to anonymous users > Enabled
    Network access: Restrict anonymous access to Named Pipes and Shares > Disabled
    Network security: LAN Manager authentication level > Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated

Hope this helps after these changes shares and server were seen by beyonwiz, maybe need a reboot on server as well
--------------------------------------------------------
Thats all I can think of for now, hope it helps.
Last edited by bohemian on Mon Dec 29, 2008 13:17, edited 42 times in total.
The wise learn from the mistakes of others.

DP-S1 + DP-P1

Graffy4242
Apprentice

Post by Graffy4242 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:00

Thanks for the great info Bohemian !

I found mine very easy to set up.

I also have an Apple iMac on my wireless network and would LOVE some advice on how to set up folders on it that would be visible from the BW.

Any MAC people able to offer me any assistance?

Absolutely LOVING the BW by the way !!!!! :D

Thanks in advance !!!

dale
Apprentice

Post by dale » Fri Jun 01, 2007 15:19

Sares on an iMac - Sorry - posted the following in response to another question elsewhere, Maybe I should have posted it here. New to forums.

Download a copy of sharepoints, (http://www.hornware.com/sharepoints) and knock yourself out. Documentation is a little thin, but hey??? it's free and works perfectly.
.......Under Normal Shares, navigate to the directory you want to share and add the folder. Set the 'Windows (SMB) Sharing' option to Shared(+), tick the 'Allow Windows Guests' option and then navigate to the 'SMB Props/General Properties' and set the security method to 'Share'.
You may need to tweak the permissions for the top level folder if you see no content from the BW. Good luck.
Be shure to run the 'sharepoints.prefpane' to add the app to your sytem preferences for ease of use.

Hope the info helps.

Graffy4242
Apprentice

Post by Graffy4242 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 15:33

Thankyou Dale !!!!!

All up and running now !!!!

Very impressed.

Cheers

cowombat
Apprentice

Re: My observations.

Post by cowombat » Sun Jun 17, 2007 16:57

Hi Bohemian

in various posts over the last 4 weeks I have been recruiting help to try and get my BeyonWiz to find my PC. Still no success. And being a non PC literate type, a lot of what you describe is a bit beyond me. I wonder if you know of anyone in Melbourne who does a bit of PC doctoring, has a BW and could be hired to do a bit of troubleshooting? Any others who can give a suggestion - I welcome it!!!
Pioneer PDP435 Plasma / BeyonWiz DP-S1 PVR / Yamaha RX-V750 Receiver / HTM MX-700 Remote Control / Sony DVP-NC62K DVD / Foxtel (Pace) DC420 Digital Cable Box / Sansui D-X111HX Tape / LG BluRay / Sony CDP-C245 CD / Sennheiser RS140 wireless phones

bohemian
Master

Post by bohemian » Mon Jun 18, 2007 01:30

cowombat, I was hoping that the instuctions in my post were clear enough for most to follow and give some direction as to where to look for certain settings etc.

Because you can at least use ICE and also ping the bwiz, it is clear that you have a network connection, so you need to find what is missing in your sharing settings.

These include NetBIOS configuration, where ports 137, 138, 445 ports must have unresricted access on your local LAN. You should check if NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled, my original post should guide you to where this setting is.

List as much of your setup as you can such as which firewall, operating system, how the network cable is connected, ie through a switch / hub etc and any specific settings you may have made / changed to get this thing working.

Make sure your firewall is allowing SMB / Netbios / sharing traffic, search in the firewall settings for these and enable them if needed. As you have already tried you can also disable your firewall while you are troubleshooting this to simplify the testing.

Just a thought, in the Control Panels Network settings, try running any network wizards or sharing wizards again to see if your PC can fix itself.

Try creating a new shared folder and check that it has everyone access by Right Clicking the folder and looking at the folders properties.

If you dont have any valid shares setup then the bwiz wont find anything.

Make sure you put a BMP, JPG. or some other valid media file in your shared folder.

What I did before I got my bwiz was to get file sharing working on my network by connecting to another PC. Because I am using WnXP Pro I had fo fiddle until the other PC could connect to me without prompting for a username and password. This shouldnt be a problem if a winxp pro installation is using simple file sharing which it should be in its default state.

DP-S1 + DP-P1

cowombat
Apprentice

Post by cowombat » Mon Jun 18, 2007 21:54

Dear Bohemian, thanks for the ideas and I hope that some insight might crack this egg!!

The BeyonWiz when on wireless is set up as
W-LAN status
SSID default
Bit Rate 54 MB/s
DHCP enabled
IP 192.168.000.102
Netmask 255.255.255.000
Gateway 192.168.000.001
DNS 192.168.000.001

I've used two PCs in this project. Primarily I've been working with my home PC which is a desktop running Xp with SP2. It is configured to auto download the latest patches for Xp. so is up to date I think. It has 1 GB RAM, Asus motherboard, and AMD Athlon processor. It is the (for want of a better word) the host PC for the network, including the main link to the D-Link DI-624s wireless router.

The router has 4 x hard ports and wireless. There are no other switches or similar. I didn't have to do anything to have it to be able to ping the BW or get IceTV working. A couple of months ago I did have some problems with the router being able to reliably connect to my laptop PC, after a new HD was installed in the laptop. I had to download the latest version of the D-Link software to resolve that - all has been good since then.

There are 4 user profiles set up on the PC, including "Guest". My main user is "David" which should be the administrator. But one odd thing is that even though all access rights seem to be assigned to users other than "Guest", including "David", recently I was trying to change some services in the Startup menu of the System Config Utility. I was trying to turn some OFF (too many in the boot up!!) and keep getting an "Access Denied etc" error, suggesting I may need admin rights. I haven't figured this out yet, and am concerned that perhaps some of the other changes I'm trying to make to help BW work are being screwed up by this issue.

For other trials I tried my work IBM T41 laptop, also with Xp and SP2.

I used to wirelessly connect a D-Link Media server to this PC. The wireless range was far, and the connection shaky. But sometimes I could access the files on my PC - it worked. So the problem was the range, not any file restrictions. I don't have it any more.

For firewall, I use Trend PC-cillin 2007, but switched it off several times during testing to see if it was the culprit. Windows Xp and the D-Link router firewalls are always off.

I've used both wireless and wired connections to test the system. I've had the BW within 2 meters of the router when on wireless, with 54 MB/sec connection, so fast enough I think.

The BW always finds my HP wireless printer when scanning for PCs.

I think I've done all the basic stuff. File sharing is on for a test file, which contains a .jpg and an mpeg4 file. (I also switched on sharing on a bunch of other files, just to be sure). Simple file sharing is now on (I discovered early in my testing regime that this was off - don't know why....)

The User RIghts assignments seem OK, e.g.not 'denying access from the network' for any of my User names.

I followed your very clear steps to confirm that NetBIOS over TCP/IP[/b] is enabled. I had to change the setting to turn this on.

You mention that NetBIOS configuration ports 137, 138, 445 ports must have unresricted access on my local LAN. I don't know how to do this - can you let me know please?

You also suggested making sure my firewall is allowing SMB / Netbios / sharing traffic. I had a look in PC-cillin, but haven't yet found settings for these. I'll keep looking. But as mentioned, even when I turn PC-cillin off, still the BW can't find the shared files, so I don't think it is the PC-cillin....

At the suggestion of another person on the forum I downloaded a neat piece of software called Network Magic. (networking for dummies like me.) It happily sees the BW as a network device with no problems.

I also tried the Xp network setup wizard that uses a USB key (first in router, then in all devices, including BW) It couldn't find the BW

I'm not sure what else to describe.... but if you could use any other info, please drop me a question......... then any other good ideas appreciated.

Thanks, David
Pioneer PDP435 Plasma / BeyonWiz DP-S1 PVR / Yamaha RX-V750 Receiver / HTM MX-700 Remote Control / Sony DVP-NC62K DVD / Foxtel (Pace) DC420 Digital Cable Box / Sansui D-X111HX Tape / LG BluRay / Sony CDP-C245 CD / Sennheiser RS140 wireless phones

bohemian
Master

Post by bohemian » Tue Jun 19, 2007 00:29

Cowombat, heaps of good info, to be clear you are using Windows XP Home or Pro.

I seem to be hung up on NetBIOS....

If you are familiar with Services, there is a service which should be running, the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper

You get there via: Control Panel -- > Aministrative Tools --> Services --> TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper

I think it probably is running but if it isnt double click on it then change the Startup type to Automatic

There may be other services which need to be running, have you ever changed any of these?

You have the Bwiz set to DHCP, you could try disabling this and setting all the network parameters manually, I think others have had more success this way. You could also try manually setting your PCs network settings. I find things are more reliable this way.

Your post indicates that you are using the guest account. Have you changed any settings regarding guests?

Now for the big one...
I remember reading of someone having similar problems to you and after a IT expert had helped this person they had no luck untill they tried another Network card in the PC and his problem was solved... ?
EDIT: my mistake see Bandits post below regarding this.
Last edited by bohemian on Tue Jun 19, 2007 14:36, edited 1 time in total.

DP-S1 + DP-P1

Bandit
Apprentice

Post by Bandit » Tue Jun 19, 2007 08:53

bohemian wrote:Cowombat, heaps of good info, to be clear you are using Windows XP Home or Pro.

... Now for the big one...
I remember reading of someone having similar problems to you and after a IT expert had helped this person they had no luck untill they tried another Network card in the PC and his problem was solved... :?:
I'm the one who had the problem that was solved by replacing the network card but my situation was different in that the Wiz could see the network, shared folders and files but loading them was impossibly slow ... to the point where I had to restart the Wiz to escape the condition.

bohemian
Master

Post by bohemian » Wed Jun 20, 2007 14:50

Cowombat, i just remembered a simple test which will give a very basic indication of share access on your PC. It is a loopback test where your PC will connect to itself and should list all your shares if they are accessable.

To do this test:

Click the Start button --> selext Run --> then type \\192.168.0.x and Enter.

NOTE the two backslashes \\ , and I listed an example IP address for your PC make sure you substitute the x for your own.

If your firewall insnt blocking the connection, and other sharing settings are set correctly, you should very quickly see all your shares.

If that works great, you just need to get remote access working also :P

DP-S1 + DP-P1

cowombat
Apprentice

Post by cowombat » Wed Jun 20, 2007 22:33

bohemian wrote:Cowombat, i just remembered a simple test which will give a very basic indication of share access on your PC. It is a loopback test where your PC will connect to itself and should list all your shares if they are accessable.

To do this test:

Click the Start button --> selext Run --> then type \\192.168.0.x and Enter.

NOTE the two backslashes \\ , and I listed an example IP address for your PC make sure you substitute the x for your own.

If your firewall insnt blocking the connection, and other sharing settings are set correctly, you should very quickly see all your shares.

If that works great, you just need to get remote access working also :P
Hi Bohemian, I had an exam tonight at RMIT so these last couple of days head down in textbooks. Seemed OK :)
I check the suggested test - no problem..... files were visible, included the shared directories that I want the BW to see too! So like you said... the challenge is to get the remote access working!

In response to your earlier questions, my OS is Xp Pro SP2. I also checked that TCP/IP netbios Helper is in automatic mode - confirmed that it is. I have never changed any settings in this area of the PC before...never even been into these fields in the past.

With regard "Guest". a long time ago I removed it from the User list, not knowing it had any significance. Since the BW issue arose, I very early on reactivated it as a User. All settings were as before.... Guest has limited rights, not administrator rights.

I haven't yet tried dropping DHCP and going to manual settings. Something I haven't tried before so will have to figure it all out.

Must say I think the BW software is being fairly unfriendly in all of this. To have it this difficult to set up a PC to have it find shared files, is not good enough. I expect the BW to have a few more smarts and say "yupp, I can see the PC but xyz is blocking my ability to reach the shared files. Fix this and that....." Instead it just plays dumb. Even though I can ping it just fine. Am I unreasonable to expect slightly better plug 'n play functionality?

But again, thanks for your ideas. I'll try the manual settings, probably on the weekend. Any other brain waves welcomed!

bohemian
Master

Post by bohemian » Thu Jun 21, 2007 00:29

cowombat wrote: . . .With regard "Guest". a long time ago I removed it from the User list, not knowing it had any significance. Since the BW issue arose, I very early on reactivated it as a User. All settings were as before.... Guest has limited rights, not administrator rights.

There may be a problem with your guest account. You say that you activated it as a user, I think it should be set under the Guests group not users group. If you can follow these instuctions to check / set the guest in the guests group:

ControlPanel --> Administrative tools --> computer Management --> Local Users and Groups --> Users --> Double click guest --> select member of --> If Guests is already listed then good, if not remove user if that is what is in the screen and select Add --> Advanced --> Find Now --> select Guests from the list and then OK then OK again and finally click Apply to save the changes.
Hopefully that will fix your guest account. It would be best to now reboot and then check that the changes you may have made have stuck.

I have got the impression that you have previously disabled / enabled your guest account from the User Accounts icon in the Control Panel, if so hopfully if you make the changes I just listed it will default that screen back to its default.

I enabled my Guest account from the Administrative Tools screens I just directed you to. When you double clicked Guest, you would have seen the check box Account is disabled and the check box should be cleared to ensure your guest account is active.

If that doesnt get your shares going the next step will be to disable simple file sharing and change your user rights assignment to make sure guest is not being blocked. . .
Last edited by bohemian on Thu Jun 21, 2007 15:10, edited 1 time in total.

DP-S1 + DP-P1

Lex200
Master

Guest Account

Post by Lex200 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 15:07

I have XP SP2 and had some initial difficulty connecting the Wiz.

I enabled Simple File Sharing and the Wiz could see my Shared Documents folders without any other changes.

I disabled Simple File Sharing as it was inadequate for other uses. The Wiz could no longer see any folders. I then added the Guest account without a password and enabled sharing and security access to Everyone for the folders I wanted to share. Once again, the Wiz could access these folders. I did not need to do the more detailed settings that bohemian has been suggesting.

I understand that leaving Guest access open without a password is a security risk and hope that the next firmware will allow the Wiz to log-on using its own username and password. My other concern is that in the process of working all of this out, I enabled and later disabled access to Everyone for several folders including giving them share names. Although the Wiz cannot access these folders (it gives an error message if they're selected), it stilll lists them when I select the computer name. I'm not sure how to remove them - I've refreshed the network coneection and rebooted the computer without any change.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Thu Jun 21, 2007 15:17

Sounds like your PC is just not setup right. I've got a network of Linux machines and the DP-S1 sees everything that's shared without any issues. It scans very quickly and my network has a mix of DHCP and static addresses.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

bohemian
Master

Re: Guest Account

Post by bohemian » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:35

Lex200 wrote:I have XP SP2 and had some initial difficulty connecting the Wiz.

I enabled Simple File Sharing and the Wiz could see my Shared Documents folders without any other changes.

I disabled Simple File Sharing as it was inadequate for other uses. The Wiz could no longer see any folders. I then added the Guest account without a password and enabled sharing and security access to Everyone for the folders I wanted to share. Once again, the Wiz could access these folders. I did not need to do the more detailed settings that bohemian has been suggesting.

I understand that leaving Guest access open without a password is a security risk and hope that the next firmware will allow the Wiz to log-on using its own username and password. My other concern is that in the process of working all of this out, I enabled and later disabled access to Everyone for several folders including giving them share names. Although the Wiz cannot access these folders (it gives an error message if they're selected), it stilll lists them when I select the computer name. I'm not sure how to remove them - I've refreshed the network coneection and rebooted the computer without any change.
I`m assuming that you enabled the Guest account through the User Accounts icon in the control panel, as others have.

The benefit of my method is that it only enables remote access to the guest account, ie, so the Bwiz can connect.
Enabling Guest through the User Accounts screen enables remote and local access to the guest account, therefore anyone can sit at your PC and login.

If I look at my Guest account In the User Accounts section of the Control Panel, it is listed as "Guest account is off" with the option to enable it.

In this case you can check if local login access is denied by going to: Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Local Security Policy --> User Rights Assignment --> Deny Logon Locally --> Guest should be listed.

The reason Simple file sharing allows the bwiz to find and connect to shares on the PC, is becaues simple file sharing enables the guest account.

DP-S1 + DP-P1

cowombat
Apprentice

Post by cowombat » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:23

bohemian wrote:
cowombat wrote: . . .With regard "Guest". a long time ago I removed it from the User list, not knowing it had any significance. Since the BW issue arose, I very early on reactivated it as a User. All settings were as before.... Guest has limited rights, not administrator rights.

Hi Bohemian

I tried the lot. No luck with this stupid 'ol PC!!! I finally added a separate netork storage drive (been meaning to add one for backup security anyway). Hooray - the BW can see it no problems and read the files. So I'll leave it at that..... Thanks for all the suggestions!

Cheers!

Raz

Post by Raz » Mon Jun 25, 2007 21:52

Hello

Some great tips here, so thanks for that.

I just wanted to add one more. As a 2 day old bwiz owner, I have spent a few hours trying to get it to see the shares on my PC's. A long time ago I must have gone through and disabled the Guest account on my Windows PC but I also must have changed the password on the account. So as soon as I reset the password of the Guest back to blank (i.e. no password) it all started to work!!

btw I'm well impressed with the bwiz so far! :D

JasonBB
Master

Post by JasonBB » Fri Jul 13, 2007 01:00

G'day, I have shared my folders on the Mac, how do you go about showing all your photos in iPhoto? I get to Pictures - it shows the photos there along with 2 folders Photo Booth and iPhoto Library once you go into iPhoto nothing shows up.
Any ideas?
Samsung QA75Q75RAWXXY, Beyonwiz U4, Denon AVR-X4300 Amp, xBox One, Control4 automation.
LA32R81BDX & Beyonwiz S1 in the bedroom.

JasonBB
Master

Post by JasonBB » Fri Jul 13, 2007 01:17

I got it working, I didn't have allow windows users ticked for that share.
Samsung QA75Q75RAWXXY, Beyonwiz U4, Denon AVR-X4300 Amp, xBox One, Control4 automation.
LA32R81BDX & Beyonwiz S1 in the bedroom.

Ankubis
Apprentice

Things you can test from your PC

Post by Ankubis » Sun Jul 15, 2007 22:05

Hi all,

This may (or may not) help in performing some diagnostics.
For most versions of windows, start a command prompt (Start > Run. type "cmd")

1. test layer 2 connectivity
- type: ipconfig/all
- result - general network information. Note that the "IP address" (e.g. 192.168.1.x)

If you don't see this, you basic IP networking is not working - look for hardware problems and basic installation.

2. test that shares are available via SMB
- type net view \\192.168.1.x (see step 1)
- result a list of viewable shares. e.g

Code: Select all

Canon     Print
  D             Disk
If you can't see anything, your SMB networking is not functioning. See the other articles about how to configure Windows.

If you can see all of this, then the PC sharing is probably correct.

DrPhil
Master

Post by DrPhil » Sat Sep 15, 2007 09:24

bohemian wrote: :!: If you have more than one PC connected to your network, they all need to be part of the same Workgroup if using a standard desktop OS, or Domain if connected to a server OS.

Gidday,

Just something that made me think - I am used to setting a Workgroup name in PCs etc but the BW does not have a way to set this.

Can someone explain why it does not need to know about a workgroup especially since this device is for file sharing. I am thinking since the BW only receives files at this point a workgroup is not required. Maybe the workgroup becomes important when it can be browsed as well. Am I on the right track?

I know enough about networking to make them function but I am by no means of network administrator ability, so I apologise if this seems like a dumb question.

Cheers

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:31

When sharing is enabled for "everyone", this is irrespective of workgroup. If you setup accounts on your PC, I presume the workgroup is also needed to log in (or access a share) using that account. Perhaps this is achieved by doing WORKGROUP\username for your username access (once this becomes a f/w feature of the next release of the bwiz f/w).
Tony

bohemian
Master

Post by bohemian » Sat Sep 15, 2007 14:56

DrPhil wrote:
bohemian wrote: :!: If you have more than one PC connected to your network, they all need to be part of the same Workgroup if using a standard desktop OS, or Domain if connected to a server OS.

Gidday,

Just something that made me think - I am used to setting a Workgroup name in PCs etc but the BW does not have a way to set this.

Can someone explain why it does not need to know about a workgroup especially since this device is for file sharing. I am thinking since the BW only receives files at this point a workgroup is not required. Maybe the workgroup becomes important when it can be browsed as well. Am I on the right track?

I know enough about networking to make them function but I am by no means of network administrator ability, so I apologise if this seems like a dumb question.

Cheers

You make a good point which I cannot answer.

I suggested assigining all PCs to the same Workgroup to help minimise incompatibilities on the network, especially if different windows OS are involved.

This can assist in helping the PCs talk to each other so each PC knows what other PCs are currently on the network.

DP-S1 + DP-P1

MrMedsy
Apprentice

Post by MrMedsy » Fri Jan 11, 2008 16:56

WOW.... i had EXACTLY the same symptoms as this guy....and i went through EVERY tip on this post and in this forum to get my network to work.....

All the settings, pings, tests.... hectic 3 days non-stop to work this out.... had a problem getting the wiz to see my pc...as well as my pc to network to another computer.... The main thing id learnt or been told was in the network settings...lan options... to ONLYhave the internet tcp/ip protocol and file sharing boxes checked...and everything else turned off....

So.....

At the end of my wits....the setting that i did too finally make it all happen was this....

I simply checked in the LAN properties to have "client for microsoft networks'' turned ON... Everything worked after that, and i found with or without most of the settings described before me....

I dont know if the network client should be on...what it does...or if its agood or bad thing...but thats what i THINK made it go....

Anyone care to comment on this for the next user that gets stuck...???

If it is the thing to enable all networking...then as a new user into the wiz and the whole networking process.... practically NO-WHERE on this site is their a simple reference to such an important setting....

bohemian
Master

Post by bohemian » Sat Jan 12, 2008 00:50

MrMedsy,
shame you had so much trouble, but it appears you sabotaged your network when you changed the default settings :P

I would guess that not many others would have disabled client for microsoft networks so it hasn?t come up before.

Now you have brought it up,this is one of the settings people can check.

DP-S1 + DP-P1

ad
Master

Post by ad » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:07

Thanks for the help in setting up the S1 for WLAN transfer. My wireless is set as a secured DHCP but it was simpler to set up the D-Link G604T router than to connect the S1 to it :lol:

The transfer speed is atrocious. It took a 3.2 GiB file 1 hour and 7 min (1:07:00) to transfer to my main PC at an astonishing speed of 832 Kb.sec :oops:

Don't know whether it is the router or the Wiz but something is amiss somewhere as the Wiz indicates a transfer speed of 54 MiB/sec (Setup - Network - WLAN - green button) in the pop-up.

Cheers, ad

PS must buy a long LAN cable (approx 20m) and try again. Still all in all well worth the play.

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:16

I think you have your bits and bytes mixed up.
The Wireless LAN maximum protocol connection for 802.11g is 54Megabit/s. Bits are indicated with a small "b" bytes with a large "B", but many don't use this standard, and it is confusing anyway, best just to type bit or byte to reduce confusion. This is merely indicating the negotiated protocol rate, it has nothing to do with transfer speed.
Real world transfer speeds on 802.11g is more like 15megabit/s I was reading the other day..... for PCs using it... as for the Wiz... Wiz transfer speeds are worse, it has throttling etc to try to improve the reliability (and reduce the CPU load etc).

I am guessing your 832kilobit/s is really 832kilobyte/s, which is 6.6megabit/s, just around the broadcast rate for SD (so if you were transferring SD, for a 1hour show it would take 1hour to transfer), but a lot more realistic than 832kilobit/s, and not too far off the best mark from the few tests people have done so far.

(of course you use "i" a lot indicating kibis rather than kilos, but I work for a telco, everything is a factor of 1000, not 1024 garbage. Network transfer rates are 1000bits/s is a kilobit/s, 1000kilobit/s is a megabit/s, 1000megabit/s is a gigabit/s. So you can pick on me for not using the "i" where appropriate, because I picked on your B vs b, ok :-)).

It is reeeeeeeeeealy hard to benchmark transfer speeds at the moment, as every firmware release is quite different, and also it makes a big difference if you leave it in, say, the fileplayer menu when transferring, vs watching live TV with timeshift on while transferring for example.
Regards
Tony

ad
Master

Post by ad » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:51

Agree to disagree :lol: To me 54 Megabits/sec / 8 equals a transfer speed of 6.75 Megabytes/sec which is a lot faster than the 832 Kilobytes/second I got. Just went back to the Wiz and according to the pop-up to copy the file from the Wiz to the PC though the WLAN network would take 00:12:00 time (12 minutes me thinks). Even taking the throttling down by the Wiz CPU into account the transfer speed between Wiz/PC is useless. Had it not been a test I would have cancelled the copy transfer process. Who'd wait in excess of an hour to copy/transfer a file?

I know. I did :P

Cheers, ad

PS Interesting to note that you work for a telco. Wasn't Bigpond that started all that nonsense that 2^10 equalled 1000? Everyone else saw the oppertunity to rip off the customer too, including the harddrive makers. Personally I go back to bits, nibs and bytes. But that's another story.

tonymy01
Uber Wizard

Post by tonymy01 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 13:26

Mate, you have all your facts a bit mucked up, but I suppose it is an excuse to stick a knife into Telstra, why not propogate complete bs. I work for their competitor btw, and can't stand them myself....
Computer geeks talk in powers of 2, the rest of the world has moved on, and is powers of 1000. There is still powers of 2 denominations if you really want to use them (and I can see you have... but then you got your bits and bytes mucked up anyway). We aren't talking about RAM sizes or HDD sizes, we are talking about network transfer rates, they are most definitely spoken about in powers of 1000 and this is incorporated into many international standards, including ITU-T etc.

Everything I said in my post is fact.
I will go over it again:
fact: 54megabit/s=6.67megabyte/s is a negotiated technical standard rate , there is no wireless 802.11g in the world that gets anywhere near that transfer speed (just like 11Mbit/s is a negotiated standard rate for 802.11b).
fact: the wiz throttles the speed even more, so, while there is some hope for PC to PC transfers of getting maybe 50% throughput on 802.11g, there is no hope in doing the same for the wiz. You can improve your transfer speed by staying in a menu rather than have the CPU loaded up doing MPEG decoding, and you can improve it by trying a different firmware revision that doesn't as aggressively throttle the bandwidth (in an attempt to bring some stability).

Here, this is the first link google gave me on "why is 54Mbps not 54Mbps"
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wireles ... ghput.html

Regards
Tony

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sun Jan 13, 2008 13:47

Typical consumer gear that performs well at 802.11g will give you a sustained throughput of about 2.1 MBytes/s. That's just enough to deliver one stream of HDTV, assuming nothing goes wrong - like someone using a blender or a microwave and causing interference.

Theoretical numbers may be interesting, but they are useless if you are building a real network for a particular purpose. Empirical evidence is still the best way of getting real-world answers.

Blog.

ad
Master

Post by ad » Sun Jan 13, 2008 18:04

tonymy01 wrote:Mate, you have all your facts a bit mucked up, but I suppose it is an excuse to stick a knife into Telstra, why not propogate complete bs. I work for their competitor btw, and can't stand them myself....
Computer geeks talk in powers of 2, the rest of the world has moved on, and is powers of 1000. There is still powers of 2 denominations if you really want to use them (and I can see you have... but then you got your bits and bytes mucked up anyway). We aren't talking about RAM sizes or HDD sizes, we are talking about network transfer rates, they are most definitely spoken about in powers of 1000 and this is incorporated into many international standards, including ITU-T etc.
Without the computer geeks the present world we live in would not exist :lol: Glad to read that you have moved on to the decimal system and being Dutch born, schooled and trained I am familar with that system (I think :lol: )

I'm not a Network specialist and the Wiz is just a temporary distraction until something new turns up. And please don't tell me about bits, nibs, bytes, kilobytes, megabytes, gigabytes and so on. Been there, done that.

Now CHILL out (no malice intended) and get a copy of ISO/IEC 9496:2003. Looks like an interesting read.

It was nice talking to you.

Cheers, ad

meppy
Apprentice

Post by meppy » Mon Mar 10, 2008 16:01

I am running a Windows 2003 SBS R2 server and am not particularly keen to reduce the security of my server just for the BW.

Previously it was quoted that you had to do the following:

• In your local security policy or domain controller security policy depending if it is a DC server I have set the following security under Security Options
    Network access: Allow anonymous SID/name translation > Enabled
    Network access: Do not allow anonymous enumeration of SAM accounts > Disabled
    Network access: Do not allow anonymous enumeration of SAM accounts and shares > Disabled
    Network access: Let Everyone permissions apply to anonymous users > Enabled
    Network access: Restrict anonymous access to Named Pipes and Shares > Disabled
    Network security: LAN Manager authentication level > Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated

But every other device I have used can access the shares on the server fine. What is the point of being able to enter a username and password if it isn't going to use it for talking to the server?

Looks like I may have to shell out for a NAS! :(

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Mar 10, 2008 17:30

Hi Meppy,

Can you please explain what the problem is? With the later firmware versions you no longer need to provide Guest access.

Regards,
Ian.

meppy
Apprentice

Post by meppy » Tue Mar 11, 2008 20:21

Sorry I thought I had posted a response but it went missing. I have created a user in A/D and configured this on the BW (I note however that I am unable to put the domain name in however).

Scanning for computers stops at 49%(??) and only shows my Vista PC. I can see a share I created on the VISTA PC but not access the files for some reason, a share that was created by my old Netgear media player in the Public share folder is accessible (this is where I am putting videos to watch for now). The server does not appear. I type in the IP address and it comes back and says that it cannot be found, yet I can see the traffic on the server and it does talk to the server (I have not done any packet tracing to see where things might be going wrong).

My Squeezebox and my old Netgear could access shares ok, but the BW which was bought to replace the later cannot. I have made the relevant security changes to the way network sharing works in GPO and also just removed ISA server (For other reasons) and restarted but still no go. Everything else from laptops to handheld devices and my IP phones can all see and talk to the server so something must be odd about the way the BW is implementing this?

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Mar 11, 2008 22:53

Hi Meppy,

This still sounds like it could be a file/directory access problem. I assume that the server is set up to allow connection from basic windows type clients that don't use the latest MS encryption etc. I don't have much experience with Microsoft server software so I can't offer much advice there.

Regards,
Ian.

meppy
Apprentice

Post by meppy » Wed Mar 12, 2008 07:57

I agree, it's a shame that a new product only implements older protocols for talking to Windows. I have modified all the settings in the GPO that should allow the connections based on previous posts, but as I said all other devices can see the server without these changes.

I will do some packet tracing at some stage, or buy a linux based NAS.

tonymy01
Uber Wizard

Post by tonymy01 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 09:00

The wiz just uses a Uclinux version of smbmount (with unknown mods by Beyonwiz... smbmount is coded into the main Wiz wizdvp application).
Via telnet into the Wiz, here is a mounted SMB share to my WIndows machine:
//192.168.0.120/My_Music on /tmp/mnt/smb/TONYSPC/My\040Music type smbfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777)

I notice the Wiz will not put a machine in the list that doesn't have any valid (according to the wiz) shares.

edit
WOAH, holy toledo batman!! I thought "lets look at the permissions of the files in that directory" and it doesn't exist (well, even the ls gives an error for it)!! (I would show you another directory except I randomly hit the down key and ok key while in the network view just before I left for work without a screen viewing what I was doing, and ended up getting into the boring music shared folder I have which I haven't actually tested).
The wiz mounts each of the PC shares as you visit them in the GUI. So the list below is a list of the mount points that the Wiz can use to mount based on all my PC shares from \\TONYSPC. I don't have any other SMB mounts to show you as I can't drive the wiz gui from work (but I can do telnet stuff).

# pwd
/tmp/mnt/smb/TONYSPC
# ls -al
ls: ./My Music: Permission denied
drwxr-xr-x    1 0        0               0 Mar 11 07:13 .
drwxr-xr-x    1 0        0               0 Mar 11 07:13 ..
drwxr-xr-x    1 0        0               0 Mar 11 07:13 CanonMP1
drwxr-xr-x    1 0        0               0 Mar 11 07:13 SharedDocs
drwxr-xr-x    1 0        0               0 Mar 11 07:13 TEDSice
drwxr-xr-x    1 0        0               0 Mar 11 07:13 storedToppyCaptures
drwxr-xr-x    1 0        0               0 Mar 11 07:13 storedtoppycaptures2

# cd "My Music"
# ls -al
ls: .: Stale NFS file handle
So.... make sure you don't have perhaps:
1.spaces in your share names (I believe this is what the "My Music" folder has).
2.underscores and other unusual chars in your share names

Then all might be fine.
Regards
Last edited by tonymy01 on Wed Mar 12, 2008 09:27, edited 1 time in total.
Tony

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Mar 12, 2008 09:21

Hi Tony,

I would be most surprised / concerned if the Beyonwiz code had issues with shares / files / directories with spaces or symbols in their names. I know that this happens all the time in programs but it really is a poor lack of attention to detail to allow this sort of bug to creep into code.

Interestingly enough, I see these sort of things so often that I now subconsciously avoid spaces and special characters in names to avoid tripping over potential issues in the various programs I use. :) (Quote your variables people! ;))

Regards,
Ian.

Gully

Post by Gully » Wed Mar 12, 2008 09:28

I've definitely got working shares where the directory name and the share name have a space in them.
Cheers
Gully

tonymy01
Uber Wizard

Post by tonymy01 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 09:37

Gully wrote:I've definitely got working shares where the directory name and the share name have a space in them.
Hmm, and so do I:

# pwd
/tmp/mnt/smb/SLUG
# ls -al
drwxr-xr-x    1 0        0               0 Mar 11 07:13 .
drwxr-xr-x    1 0        0               0 Mar 11 07:13 ..
drwxr-xr-x    1 0        0               0 Mar 11 07:13 ADMIN 2
drwxr-xr-x    1 0        0               0 Mar 11 07:13 DISK 2
drwxr-xr-x    1 0        0               0 Mar 11 07:13 beyonwiz
# cd "ADMIN 2"
But why all the NFS etc error mumbo jumbo with the "My Music" folder to my Windows PC (these shares here are to my NSLU2 Samba SLUG)?
I am trying to remember if I have played music on my Wiz before, I believe I have, so this error must just be a furfy, maybe the wireless died for a small amount of time and it needs to remount the connection to my PC... dunno.
Regards
Tony

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Wed Mar 12, 2008 14:10

The error messages clearly indicate that your network has gone down and the volume which had your current directory was unmounted.

The reference to NFS must mean a generic network file system as opposed to The Network File System.

Blog.

DaveR
Wizard

Post by DaveR » Wed Mar 12, 2008 22:59

Gully wrote:I've definitely got working shares where the directory name and the share name have a space in them.
I also have directories with an underscore as the first character (so Windows lists them first) and recent BW F/W versions also now list them first.
cheers
DaveR

IceTV, T4, T3, T2, P2, S1, FV-L1(P1 fw), TRF-2460, HDR-7500 and Skippa

Gully

Post by Gully » Wed Mar 12, 2008 23:18

I guess it is worth adding I have one with a full stop as the first character that is fine and also displays at the top of the list just as in Windows.
Cheers
Gully

MeWhoElse
Apprentice

Post by MeWhoElse » Thu Mar 13, 2008 00:41

meppy wrote:Sorry I thought I had posted a response but it went missing. I have created a user in A/D and configured this on the BW (I note however that I am unable to put the domain name in however).
The share you are trying to contact is on the domain controller? If so, you should not need the domain name to be able to connect. If the share is on a member server of the domain, simply create a local machine user account, that you then use with the Beyonwiz. (this would be in essence what would be the case if it was the domain controller, as the local groups/users are simply implemented in the AD structure locally)

glen
Guru

Post by glen » Sun Aug 17, 2008 22:29

Hi Guys

I am having difficulty creating a share that the BW can copy to or delete from.

As a starting point I have a share that the BW can see and read from, so from that point the share is visible and the BW has read access.

First tried (as a temporary test only) giving everyone full control over the share, the BW could not copy a file to the share nor could it delete a file from the share.

Thinking that this could be a limitation of the everyone group, I then created a specific username for the BW to use and gave this username full control of the share, I then set up the username in the BW. Again though it could not copy a file to this share or delete a file from it.

Any ideas? I am running firmware 161.

Regards Glen

tonymy01
Uber Wizard

Post by tonymy01 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 22:52

I think (don't quote me) that every time you make any changes to the share on the PC, you should clear and rescan on the Wiz, or else it will attempt the original access.
Tony

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sun Aug 17, 2008 22:58

Hi Glen,

This sounds like you don't have the Windows security settings for the folder and/or the files correct.

Regards,
Ian.

glen
Guru

Post by glen » Mon Aug 18, 2008 07:47

Hi Tonymy01

Thanks for the suggestion, I will set it up again tonight.

Does that mean that other are in fact getting write and delete access to work through shares? I was wondering if this functionality is fully working for shares?

Regards Glen

Return to “Networking your Beyonwiz DP Series”