problems with Netgear WNCE2001

PC, Mac and Linux Networking Hints and Tips.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

wiz-granny
Apprentice

problems with Netgear WNCE2001

Post by wiz-granny » Wed Apr 27, 2011 19:31

Hi guys
I may be in my in my early 60's,but try to keep up with galloping technology, but know enough to know that sometimes I need to seek help.
We got our DP lite delivered, and have set up all well, (with credit to the DTVforum) DP lite 'talking to tv', tv 'talking to our existing panasonic DVDR unit, so in therory we should be in clover!
BUT, we ordered, at the same time as the DP lite, a Netgear WNCE2001. Theory behind our purchase, to set up a wireless bridge,(our situation, cannot connect via a direct ethernet cable) we were advised could be complicated for oldies, and the WNCE seemed the easiest way to go, and no more expensive than a separate router/bridge.

Well, the Netgear WNCE2001 appears to be a total dud. That is after two calls to Netgear support(1 1/2 hrs each time), who have finally admitted that the unit is faulty. ICETV have been very supportive. Must add, no problems with our computers - both win 7, both wireless and no problems with modem or wireless signals. Has anyone else had this problem?

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Apr 27, 2011 20:12

Hi Wiz-granny,

Welcome!

Diagnosing networking problems is never easy. In general my advice is to leave devices like the Beyonwiz etc out of the equation and start with getting the basic network working. Use PCs or other "smart" devices to test the parts of the network to confirm that they are working as desired and expected. When you have the kinks out of the core network then add the devices and appliances like the Beyonwiz. Adding a Beyonwiz to a broken network is rarely likely to pay dividends, just lots of pain.

Regards,
Ian.

wiz-granny
Apprentice

Post by wiz-granny » Wed Apr 27, 2011 22:07

IanSav wrote:Hi Wiz-granny,

Welcome!

Diagnosing networking problems is never easy. In general my advice is to leave devices like the Beyonwiz etc out of the equation and start with getting the basic network working. Use PCs or other "smart" devices to test the parts of the network to confirm that they are working as desired and expected. When you have the kinks out of the core network then add the devices and appliances like the Beyonwiz. Adding a Beyonwiz to a broken network is rarely likely to pay dividends, just lots of pain.

Regards,
Ian.
Many thanks for your reply. Once again a post that did not give you full info - my fault - many apologies. We (me!) had not even attempted to plug in the WNCE into the Beyonwiz, the device failed before that stage, ie at the core network stage where it has to be 'programmed' into existing wireless network. Set up for this adapter involves plugging it into a computer - disconnected at the time from a working wireless network, running through a 'set up wizard' , accessed from the modem/router, then, in theory, its ready to put into the beyonwiz.It failed at this stage! I have up and running two computers, both wireless, and networked, and know how to access my modem/router settings, but even then, all failed, even with Netgears 3 plus hrs tech support - their conclusion a dud product!
A new WNCE adaptor is on its way, I will give it a go, after 3 hrs of tech support I should be able to do the initial set up!
I really appreciate that networking can be a minefield. And have no doubts that there will be more problems on the horizon, it was just dissapointing that we had this hiccup, and wondered if we were the only ones with a Netgear WNCE2001 that have had problems - we all experience duds, sometimes troubleshooting for days, only to realise it was a faulty cable or connection,not the computer/pvr/modem !
The price we all pay for new technology, and the pain a wiz-granny embraced with trying to wirelessly network a beyonwiz!
very best wishes Janet

brianh
Wizard

Post by brianh » Wed Apr 27, 2011 22:47

Take heart Janet,

My mum is in her late 70's and took to technology late in life - I'm proud to say she is making an excellent job of coming to terms with modern media technology including networking, wireless connections, installing, fault finding and lately, even becoming the local computer guru for the neighbours (knows more about Macs than I do, but that wouldn't be hard.... )..... it sounds like you have a pretty logical approach to things and that you are coming to grips with it all very well , it's good that you are willing to dive in and give it a go - you will also find plenty of people here who are willing to provide helpful advice.

Welcome and good luck,
Cheers,
Brian

1) 2 x T4, Samsung UA46C7000/Yamaha RX-V6A
2) Spare DP-P2s/ Samsung UA46C6900/Sony STR-DE497/RX-V540
Harmony 650 + all the spare remotes.....

Griffyn
Apprentice

Post by Griffyn » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:06

I just bought one of these for a new DP-P2, and while it works just fine, it's no good if you want to connect another beyonwiz to your network, because it appears to block the multicast packets the beyonwizs use to detect each other.

So - it's fine for what you need at the moment, and probably all you'll ever need. But for others with more complicated beyonwiz setups, no go.

wiz-granny
Apprentice

Update

Post by wiz-granny » Thu Apr 28, 2011 18:14

New WNCE arrived -same problem. But Granny was not to be thwarted, did not phone Netgear tech support. Did her own troubleshooting, and bingo - problem solved. Disable firewall, just for the set up stage! All done in 5 mins, including ensuring dp lite connected to internet!
How simple, how silly of me not to have thought of it, and how silly of netgear not to have suggested it!
no doubt, will be further posts, with further problems, but at least up and running.
Best wishes to all Janet

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Apr 28, 2011 18:34

Hi, Janet. Are you the same Janet who posts as dvd-grannie on the DTV Forum? If so, welcome to the forum :D If not, welcome to the forum :) (I'm the same prl).
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

wiz-granny
Apprentice

Guilty!

Post by wiz-granny » Thu Apr 28, 2011 21:39

Yes prl, I confess :D but what made me spell my name both ways in different forums is beyond me :oops: To be totally up front, also belong to whirlpool (most goes over my head, but it makes for interesting reading), there I am known as computer-grannie. I have received masses of assistance with posting, never 'double post - as that would be very unfair', and just occasionally, I have been able to be of assistance. What I find most rewarding is posting a query, getting sensible ideas, normally sorting out the problem, then saying a huge thanks to all who take the time to read 'granny/grannie' posts. Janet

celicasx
Master

Post by celicasx » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:46

Can you teach my Mum how to set up a set top box....
I love my Toppy, but now I want one of these! Scratch that... now I've got one!

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Apr 30, 2011 17:29

celicasx wrote:Can you teach my Mum how to set up a set top box....
Janet (wiz-granny) was very modest about her technical ability on the DTV forum, but she seems pretty clued up to me. :)
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

wiz-granny
Apprentice

Post by wiz-granny » Sat Apr 30, 2011 19:38

Hruumph! Other thoughts would be unpostable involving lots of ***.
WNCE2001 was set up correctly, finally - see earlier posts. It was installed in the DP lite and we had the three green lights - ie all ok!. DP lite talking to wireless network, no problems. DP lite set up happy bunny, acknowledged our Icetv account. Now just doing a dual test recording on the DP lite, recordings set up from Icetv web site - and another (later timeframe) test, a recording both on the DP lite and our existing Panasonic DVDR, to see if there is any conflict, or a difference in quality/sound etc.

All obviously working at the time of setting the programs, but now the programs are in the middle of record, and the WNCE2001 WLAN button has been fixed on red for 40 mins. Just turned to orange as I type. Most concerned that this WNCE unit may prove to be most unstable. FYI, existing wireless network and modem/router is about as stable as anyone could ask for. Or, it may be a 'querk' in the WNCE, when its recording it goes to no WLAN? Seems pretty unlikely to me - but I am a granny after all!

Will keep you all updated - was confident that I could assist the last poster with his Mothers set up - now not at all sure! Heigh Ho! Janet

wiz-granny
Apprentice

Post by wiz-granny » Wed May 04, 2011 05:42

Apologies, should have posted sooner.
All is working, that red light on the WNCE must have been an undiagnosable 'glitch'. We have had no further problems in the past 3 days, all green lights on, Dp Lite working like a dream, simple networking also (Ice TV). Bare in mind we are just using it to record, watch, and in most cases then delete(and skip the ads),not trying to transfer files from DP lite to computer . Thats what grannys do!
Now battling with programming the Harmony One - but getting there also. It can be a tough life for a granny.

I will keep you posted just how the Netgear WNCE2001 continues to perform. It appeared at the time of purchase to be a good move for us, since we were unable to use either a direct ethernet cable or a PoE adapter. Naturally understand that a bridged router could well perform the same tasks requiried (or even better), but we were a bit 'scared off', having been told it could be very complicated to get set up.
very best wishes, Janet

Return to “Networking your Beyonwiz DP Series”