Beyonwizs networked, but cannot see each other

PC, Mac and Linux Networking Hints and Tips.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Griffyn
Apprentice

Beyonwizs networked, but cannot see each other

Post by Griffyn » Tue Apr 26, 2011 15:59

I've had a DP-S1 for ages, just got a new DP-P2. DP-S1 is using 1.05.350 firmware, DP-P2 is using 1.07.350. DP-S1 is using it's WLAN as always (WEP). I got a Netgear WNCE2001 plugged into the ethernet of the DP-P2 - it's hooked up to my ICE account no problems, and retrieved recording settings, so I know it's working - plus both can see my laptop windows share, and play a movie file ok. All hook up to a Linksys WAG120N wireless router.

The problem is the Beyonwizs seeing each other so I can stream stuff recorded on one to the other. I've got the WizPNP settings on each set to enable client and server, got one called upstairs, the other downstairs. Ports on both are still 49152.

When I do a network scan on the DP-P2, it doesn't find anything. It will find my laptop if I plug in it's IP address, but it won't find the DP-S1 if I do the same thing. Vice-versa for the DP-S1 in finding the DP-P2, although it will scan and find my laptop.

I'm stuck. I've turned both off and on of course (including the WNCE2001), and disabled/enabled the WizPNP settings. WizFX will find both beyonwizs when I plug in their IP addresses, and I can see the file listings on both.

Help please?

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Apr 26, 2011 17:45

Hi Griffyn,

It sounds like your network is not passing the broadcast traffic that allows each Beyonwiz to advertise and discover each other. You can confirm this by connecting all the units together via cables connected to a single switch.

Regards,
Ian.

BigbobOz
Master

Post by BigbobOz » Tue Apr 26, 2011 21:57

Hi Griffyn,

I had this problem all of a sudden when I replaced my router/modem. Worked for years then stopped as soon as the new modem provided the network.

Went back to the old one (turns out it wasn't dead like I thought) and it worked again straight away, no changing of settings. So I doubt it's your settings, just your modem.

Sorry can't give any detail on how to check beyond trial and error.

For the record, the modem that didn't work was a Netcomm NB9WMaxxN and the one that does work is a Billion...7404VGP ( something like that anyway).

Good luck!
Rob

IanB
Wizard

Post by IanB » Wed Apr 27, 2011 00:41

Some WAP's have a security/efficiency setting to control broadcast/multicast traffic over the WLAN.

WizPNP discovery requires multicast traffic to be forwarded.

:edit: Make the pedantic people happy
_
Last edited by IanB on Wed Apr 27, 2011 09:34, edited 1 time in total.

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 02:23

I wrote a little app some time ago to mimic the 2nd part of the wizPNP protocol between two wizes such that it would allow them to discover each other. It runs on the pc however, but may only need to be run once (not sure actually given I only have one Wiz so not sure of the finer points about how long each wiz stays in the other wiz table).
I am in another country now though for a bit...so hope you can find my posts from way back:)
Tony

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Apr 27, 2011 08:06

IanB wrote:...
WizPNP discovery requires broadcast traffic to be forwarded.
_
Multicast, not broadcast.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Griffyn
Apprentice

Post by Griffyn » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:37

tonymy01 wrote:I wrote a little app some time ago to mimic the 2nd part of the wizPNP protocol between two wizes such that it would allow them to discover each other.
I presume this app is wizmongoose? It doesn't seem to be on your website any more. Does anyone have it? Perhaps you could upload it to rapidshare or something for me?

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:24

No, it was born out of Wizmongoose, as I learnt how the WizPNP protocol did its thing, and this simply "pretended" to be another Wiz to advertise "hey, this is my IP address" to the first Wiz (which is using unicast rather than multicast protocol). I think I knocked it up for someone, dunno if I published it. When I do the remote access thing to my home PC next, I will see if I can dig it up if I didn't make it public.
Tony

Griffyn
Apprentice

Post by Griffyn » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:08

So, I borrowed a large ethernet cable and plugged it into my DP-P2, to take the Netgear WNCE2001 out of the equation, and up popped my DP-S1 in the network list - awesome!

Unfortunately, when I put back the WNCE2001, the DP-S1 had disappeared, so there's no memory being kept of the connection that was. I've got an old linksys wireless router that I'll see if I can hook up as a WAP and see how that goes.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:37

Hi Griffyn,

Does the Netgear offer a configuration option to enable broadcasts?

Regards,
Ian.

Griffyn
Apprentice

Post by Griffyn » Thu Apr 28, 2011 15:05

IanSav wrote:Does the Netgear offer a configuration option to enable broadcasts?
I've had a look at the advanced options for it, and no. There's pretty much nothing configurable about it except for it's IP address and the wifi connect settings.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Thu Apr 28, 2011 20:43

Hi Griffyn,
Griffyn wrote:I've had a look at the advanced options for it, and no. There's pretty much nothing configurable about it except for it's IP address and the wifi connect settings.
It sounds like it is time to refer the issue to Netgear. If this unit can't handle this basic task then some of their other models should handle it with ease.

Regards,
Ian.

Return to “Networking your Beyonwiz DP Series”