What's the first step for DP-P2 to see a Mac and vice versa?

PC, Mac and Linux Networking Hints and Tips.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

slugdog
Apprentice

What's the first step for DP-P2 to see a Mac and vice versa?

Post by slugdog » Thu Dec 23, 2010 01:32

I should have spent some more time researching. I thought all Beyonwiz PVRs were Wi Fi enabled. I assumed the top end model would be anyway. So I went right ahead and bought the DP-P2 2TB, only to find, trying to set it up, that it doesn't seem to be Wi Fi enabled at all. Doh!

I guess I'll have to live with that mistake and think about how best to hardwire it to a not-easily-accessible router. The router, an Optus-branded Netgear wireless cable modem (CVG824G) is downstairs, the DP-P2 is upstairs.

Before I go getting the house redesigned to connect the Beyonwiz to the Netgear router, I have an Apple Time Capsule which I can connect to the wireless network put out by the Netgear router. Seems to be working okay, a couple of Macs also on this wireless network merrily back up to the Time Capsule.

I've wired the DP-P2 to the Time Capsule via ethernet. But now what? There's a 'Windows Sharing' section in which you can put a user name and password. I've put in the username and password of the Time Capsule, that doesn't seem to change much. How can a Mac (which can see the Time Capsule over the wireless network) see the DP-P2, and how can the DP-P2 see files on my Mac or even on the Time Capsule? The DP-P2 user manual is largely silent on this, and I can see nothing obvious on these forums. It may be a case of me being spoiled by Mac intuitiveness, but nothing seems too obvious.

The DP-P2 was shipped with latest firmware, I have 10.6.5 on the Macs, all updated.

In case anyone has an idea about how I make use of it, I also have an Apple TV (older white slab style, not the latest release) sitting near the DP-P2, the Apple TV being on the wireless network.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Dec 23, 2010 06:22

Hi, slugdog, welcome to the forum.

Have you read the Network Tips - Mac FAQ in this section of the forum? It doesn't cover connections to the Time Capsule, but there may be enough there to get you started. If you do get the Time Capsule working, you could post in that section about how to do it, and I could link from the main FAQ post.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

slugdog
Apprentice

Post by slugdog » Thu Dec 23, 2010 09:46

I did spot and read through that FAQ Peter, but nothing gave me the clues I need, but then I'm not networking expert.

I also spotted a post about how to use Airport Express as a bridge, something like that, and I do have an Airport Express nearby as well, which is currently used simply to receive iTunes music and pump through an audio amp and speakers. But I don't get how that would apply to my situation.

Hopefully there's someone out there who has a Beyonwiz connected to a Time Capsule.

hawk_eyes
Apprentice

Post by hawk_eyes » Thu Jan 27, 2011 21:49

Hi slugdog,

You might be in luck, I think I've got a solution for connecting to the time capsule shared folders with the Wiz after setting up my old man's DP-P2 with a wireless repeater to his Time Capsule.

Make sure your P2 can get a network address from you router by going in to SETUP > Network > Setting and configuring the LAN.

On your Mac you then need to configure the Time Capsule so it can talk to the Wiz. On your mac go to your Applications folder > Utilities folder and open the Airport Utility app. After it scans your network and find your base station double click the time capsule icon, click the blues "Disks" icon at the top then click the file sharing tab. I simply changed "Airport Disk Guest access to read only (or read/right) then clicked update at the bottom. After it reset I went into the DP-P2 fileplayer and rescanned in the network section, bingo, my folders on the Time capsule appeared.

I'm not sure if the P2 can copy files to the shared folders on the Time capsule because I haven't tried that.

You can also use the Mac program to copy files from the DP-P2 to your Mac with Eric Fry's "WizMac" app. I thinks it's on the OpenWiz wiki somewhere.
DP-P2 01.05.320
HDMI to Phillips LCD TV

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:24

hawk_eyes wrote:...
You can also use the Mac program to copy files from the DP-P2 to your Mac with Eric Fry's "WizMac" app. I thinks it's on the OpenWiz wiki somewhere.
Added a link to "somewhere" :)
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

hawk_eyes
Apprentice

Post by hawk_eyes » Fri Jan 28, 2011 19:38

prl wrote:
hawk_eyes wrote:...
Added a link to "somewhere" :)
Thanks, the openwiz wiki wasn't working at the time and I couldn't get an address for it. :D
DP-P2 01.05.320
HDMI to Phillips LCD TV

Return to “Networking your Beyonwiz DP Series”