First NAS Drive

PC, Mac and Linux Networking Hints and Tips.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

fat
Apprentice

First NAS Drive

Post by fat » Sat Sep 11, 2010 19:38

I have done some research but I still haven't been able to get a concrete answer so i am hoping I can find one here. I am looking at getting an RND2000 or RND4000 and wanted to know if anyone here knows if it will support multiple Dixv streams. I am looking at streaming to my 2 P1's simultaneously and possibly to the H1 as well.

I need a NAS that can send at least 2 simultaneous divx streams at a time. TIA

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sat Sep 11, 2010 21:16

Hi Fat,

If I were you I would be more forward looking and consider the newer Ultra range of Netgear ReadyNAS units. These use the intel based processors and are likely to be better supported into the future.

As for the capabilities to steam media to a couple of Beyonwiz units I don't envisage any problems. (I have a DUO, NV+ and an NVX. All are interconnected via a wired network and a gigabit switch )

Regards,
Ian.

DaveR
Wizard

Post by DaveR » Sat Sep 11, 2010 21:51

Pretty much any NAS with Gigabit Ethernet should be able to handle multiple video streams. The Intel NAS Performance Toolkit shows that each extra stream only adds a very small overhead compared to the first stream.

A while ago I made the mistake of buying a cheap used 4-drive NAS of eBay. It is a Buffalo Terrastation Pro. Reviews of the current model Terrastation Pro 2 were good enough... but the old Pro (aka Pro 1) that I'd bought was a LOT slower (even though it has SATA HDDs) and could only support 4x 500GB HDDs for a maximum RAID 5 capacity of about 1.4GB. The TS Pro is almost as slow as the Beyonwiz when it comes to copying files to the NAS!!! But this actually makes it a perfect companion for the Beyonwiz as you don't complain about how slow the Beyonwiz LAN is.

The TS Pro's hardware specs are primitive. Any modern NAS should perform better.

Thankfully it only cost me $389 - $149 plus $30 postage plus $210 for 4x new 500GB HDDs. Though that $389 would go a long toward a QNAP TS-410, TS-419P, TS-439 Pro II or TS-459 Pro.

Here's a link to a screenshot of the Intel NAS Performance Toolkit's results for the '4x HD Video Playback' test on my super slow NAS. You'll see in the graph that 4x HD streams average about 28 MBytes per second with 1 peak of 47 MBytes/sec.
http://www.pvr-tools.com/images/4x-HD-Streams_TSPro.png
cheers
DaveR

IceTV, T4, T3, T2, P2, S1, FV-L1(P1 fw), TRF-2460, HDR-7500 and Skippa

DaveR
Wizard

Post by DaveR » Sat Sep 11, 2010 22:07

IanSav wrote:These use the intel based processors and are likely to be better supported into the future.
Yep, any NAS with Gigabit Ethernet, an Intel Atom CPU and 500MB to 1GB of DDR RAM should be good enough speed wise for many years to come. And personally I wouldn't waste my time on anything with less than 4 HDDs (running RAID 5, 5+1 or 6) - otherwise you need to back up your whole NAS regularily (which sort of defeats the purpose of having a NAS).

Software feature wise you can't go past QNAP. Synology aren't far behind. Netgear ReadyNAS are bullet proof and are ideal if data security and a file/backup server is your thing, & you aren't interested in playing around with bittorrent, web and media servers etc.

If you just want really, really, easy file and photo sharing with simple Internet & mobile phone access (and don't mind using USB HDDs for storage) then have a look at PogoPlug.
cheers
DaveR

IceTV, T4, T3, T2, P2, S1, FV-L1(P1 fw), TRF-2460, HDR-7500 and Skippa

fat
Apprentice

Post by fat » Sun Sep 12, 2010 08:25

Thanks for the replies guys. I would love to take one of the new Readynas Ultra's but they are out of my price range right now. PC is playing up again and I am about to move house so money is very tight. I think the RND4000 might do the trick and I will eventually look at upgrading later on. I can get the RND4000 for $380 and then get a few 1tb diskes to get me started. If I need to I could prolly upgrade the amount of RAM in the readynas later as well I assume

Any other thoughts for about that same price range or is the Netgear the way to go?

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:35

Hi Dave?,
Dave? wrote:Software feature wise you can't go past QNAP. Synology aren't far behind. Netgear ReadyNAS are bullet proof and are ideal if data security and a file/backup server is your thing, & you aren't interested in playing around with bittorrent, web and media servers etc.
The Netgear ReadyNAS line have had all these services for ages. ;)

The one new feature that the Ultra series has is the ability to serve media directly to a TiVo (not that this matters to people here). The Ultra is targeted at home users and should be cheaper than the equivalent SOHO or business models.

Unfortunately the RNXU4000 (4 Bay Ultra Diskless) sells for about $750, the RND4000 (4 Bay NV+ Diskless) sells for about $400. I couldn't find a price on the RNDU2000 (2 Bay Ultra Diskless) but the RND2000 (2 Bay DUO Diskless) sells for about $230. It appears that Netgear is demanding premium pricing for these new models. Hopefully it won't take long for them to become realistic and competitive with their pricing.

Regards,
Ian.

fat
Apprentice

Post by fat » Mon Sep 13, 2010 06:53

Thanks for the help everyone. Looks like I am going to save up some cash and get the RNDU4000 and hopefully futureproof myself for a while. I will be running 3 Wiz's 2 PC's and a squeezebox from it so this one will be up to the task for sure.

Return to “Networking your Beyonwiz DP Series”