Wireless Bridge - What to Buy?

PC, Mac and Linux Networking Hints and Tips.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

oz1
Apprentice

Wireless Bridge - What to Buy?

Post by oz1 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 08:29

I would like to link my DP2 to a Billion 7404VGP router via wireless. From what I have read, I need a wireless bridge. Apparently the Billion can be a bit finicky so i'd appreciate any advice on what bridge to buy please.

I am currently just looking at IceTV but plan to stream video later on.

I know the best approach is to use CAT5 but I don't want to demolish half the house to run it.

The Billion currently runs an ethernet LAN connected to 3 PCs & a network printer. It also runs a wireless network occasionally connected to a couple of laptops.

I previously had the DP2 connected to the the Billion via LAN over power using a couple of Netcomm NP201AV homeplugs but they were a PITA & the whole set up needed resetting after every (sadly frequent) power cut. Now I can't get the the LAN over power link working at all & have given up on it after days of fiddling even though I am using exactly the same router settings & power circuits. So time to go wireless i think.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Feb 10, 2010 08:42

Hi Oz1,

Getting a wireless device to talk at Wireless G levels will be cheap but ultimately not rewarding. Yes it will work fine for your IceTV updates but streaming video is likely to be a disappointing experience. This will be particularly evident if the wireless network is also to be shared with other wireless devices.

If you want to proceed then I suggest you invest in something Wireless N based so that when you upgrade your router the wireless bridge will still be useful. Have a look at the D-Link DAP-1522 Xtreme N Duo Wireless Bridge/Access Point. If you want to save a few dollars (about $30) but limit yourself to a 5GH only network (your Billion is a 2.4 GHz unit only) then have a look at the Netgear WNHDE111 5 GHZ WIRELESS-N HD ACCESS POINT/BRIDGE.

Regards,
Ian.

oz1
Apprentice

Post by oz1 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 09:11

Wow! That was quick.

I've ordered a DAP-1522

Thanks Ian

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 09:33

IanSav wrote:Getting a wireless device to talk at Wireless G levels will be cheap but ultimately not rewarding. Yes it will work fine for your IceTV updates but streaming video is likely to be a disappointing experience.
LOL, if you didn't live in Melbourne, I would have sworn you were Myles Barlow, your wording is *identical* to his typical review recaps (pretty sure he is a Sydney sider given the locations of his various reviews).... WirelessG, 2.5stars.
Tony

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:00

Hi Tony,

I don't know who Myles Barlow is but after so many years of posting here I try to amuse myself by crafting different ways to say the same things. :P

Regards,
Ian.

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:21

Search the ABC TV guide and have a watch of an episode, very very funny show (well, to me).
Tony

download
Guru

Post by download » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:40

tonymy01 wrote:Search the ABC TV guide and have a watch of an episode, very very funny show (well, to me).
4.5 out of 5 stars :)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

scho
Master

Post by scho » Wed Feb 10, 2010 14:44

IanSav wrote:Getting a wireless device to talk at Wireless G levels will be cheap but ultimately not rewarding. Yes it will work fine for your IceTV updates but streaming video is likely to be a disappointing experience.
After some teething issues and tuning channels I am quite happy with my wireles LAN for streaming video. It is reliable enough for me in my location. There are many site specific factors that could cause interference & throughput issues - so there are no garantees. I use a Billion Wireless router with my DP-P2 on a NetGear AP with WPA-PSK encryption.

However....If I fire up my laptop on the wireless LAN while my wife is watching streaming video from the PC...then she gets very annoyed with me.

T3 - 2TB
HDMI 1080i to Sony Android
Digital Audio to Sony 5.1
Synology NAS
Apple TV
Airport Extreme Wireless LAN
Ethernet over Power

muffler

Clarification

Post by muffler » Mon Feb 22, 2010 15:11

I have been following this thread to understand setting up wireless on my DP-P2. Please clarify so that I do not get the wrong unit.
I have (two rooms away) my study with a computer wired up to a Netgear DG834GV wireless router/Voip. I initially used the wireless for my laptop, but recently have added a few other things. In my lounge room (two rooms away)is my Samsung Series 7 40 inch LCD with wireless, a Samsung Bluray with wireless and my DP-P2 connected to the LCD which has wireless facility. The Samsungs have they own USB wireless dongle which communicates with my Netgear (two rooms away).
I want to connect the DP-P2 up wirelessly also so that I can use ICETV (I haven't even thought about streaming movies from my computer - too much to think about).
Can I just add a USB wireless dongle to the back of the DP-P2 to talk to my Netgear (just like the Samsungs do) or should I get a Netgear Wireless Access point and cable from the back of the DP-P2 into the Access point?
I want the less hassle and ease of setting up as I know wireless can be difficult at time.
Does the Access point then pick up my TV and Bluray and transmit it to the Netgear Wireless router in the study as well as the DP-P2?
I'm looking for the pros and cons of the best way to go. Please help!

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Feb 22, 2010 18:21

Hi Muffler,

Welcome!

The Beyonwiz can not use any USB wireless dongles. You will need an Ethernet based wireless bridge. If you are only doing this to access IceTV then adding the Beyonwiz to your wireless network should not be an issue. With all the devices you have using wireless it is unlikely that you will have much joy streaming video.

Regards,
Ian.

muffler

clarification

Post by muffler » Mon Feb 22, 2010 18:34

IanSav,
Thanks for the heads up. I am looking at a Netgear Bridge/access point to match the Netgear wireless router (thinking this should be easy to set up. In my case, will any of the seven odd different Netgear access points should work???

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Feb 22, 2010 18:38

Hi Muffler,

Anything that works in bridge mode should work. If you want to future proof your network you may care to invest in a Wireless N based device.

Regards,
Ian.

muffler

Post by muffler » Mon Feb 22, 2010 19:02

IanSav,
Thanks for your great help.
I'm assuming when I say access point and you say bridge we are talking the same language? I looking at the Netgear Wireless-N Access Point WN802T-200 (you said N device).
Would this work (that it would talk to my Netgear wireless router)?

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Feb 22, 2010 19:51

Hi Muffler,

For the purposes of this forum I use the term "access point" to describe a device that provides wireless access to am existing network. I use "wireless bridge" to describe a device that converts an available wireless network back to a wired connection.

The WN802T-200 appears to be an access point only. It is also a 2.4GHz only device. Perhaps you should consider something like the D-Link DAP-1522 Xtreme N Duo Wireless Bridge/Access Point..

Regards,
Ian.

muffler

Post subject

Post by muffler » Mon Feb 22, 2010 20:25

Ian,
Thanks for the information on the D-Link. Wanted to make sure I was getting the right one to connect up to the DP-P2. As you appreciate, you don't want to spend money to find out it doesn't work.
Thanks for your homework on my behalf. If your blood could be bottled, it would be priceless.
Now off to the internet to find the cheapest deal for the D-Link.
Thanks again!

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Feb 22, 2010 22:30

Hi Muffler,

No problems. :)

Regards,
Ian.

Zedoz
Apprentice

Post by Zedoz » Sun Sep 02, 2012 15:26

Beyonwiz DP-P2 500GB

Paul55
Wizard

Post by Paul55 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 15:37

I wouldn't trust it to work.
Looks like it may draw power from a USB port - not a great idea, IMO.
Going by the model number, it sounds like it may only be wireless G, not wireless N. This isn't a deal breaker, but N is much better if you wan't to stream video in the future.
DP-P1 & DP-P2 x 2, 01.05/07.350 Samsung PS64E8000, Pioneer 508XDA, IceTV, Yamaha RX-V3800a, Toppy TRF-2400, Foxtel IQ3, Harmony 1100i, Digitech HDMI switch, Beyonwiz DP-H1 , FW 01.05.350, 320GB Maxtor USB HDD, 42" Panasonic G10A, Yamaha RX-V795a, Foxtel IQ2, Harmony 785, WDTV Live x 3

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sun Sep 02, 2012 18:16

Hi Zedoz,

If you want to try the device then go right ahead. It is unlikely that anyone here has tried this unit before.

I would suggest you stick with better known devices. These days they are faster and not much more expensive.

Regards,
Ian.

Return to “Networking your Beyonwiz DP Series”