D-LINK DAP-1522....Set-up and Network speeds....

PC, Mac and Linux Networking Hints and Tips.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Flash_Gordon
Master

D-LINK DAP-1522....Set-up and Network speeds....

Post by Flash_Gordon » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:54

Hi,

Thinking of getting the DAP-1522 to attach my BW-P1 and a couple of other units....wirelessly to my PC's.

Currently I have the single DWL-810 to just the BW-P1.

How easy was it to set up the DAP-1522 for IP and Network security?

Does it automatically connect and all you need is the WPA key?

What kind of actual throughput speeds are people getting streaming video approx or transferring video from BW to PC, etc?

Cheers

FG
1x Beyonwiz U4 (lounge), 1x Beyonwiz T4 (b/room), Dune HD Base 3D, Minix Neo U9-H,
Hisense N58N5 + Onkyo TX-NR646 + Accusound Ref 8.6
Logitech Harmony Elite Universal Remote

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Mar 30, 2009 18:22

Hi Flash_Gordon,

I don't actually have any of these devices so I can't answer your specific questions. I did want to offer that the more devices you hang off the wireless network the slower the link will be to each device. This *may* have an impact on your streaming results on the Beyonwiz.

Regards,
Ian.

Flash_Gordon
Master

Post by Flash_Gordon » Mon Mar 30, 2009 18:24

IanSav wrote:Hi Flash_Gordon,

I don't actually have any of these devices so I can't answer your specific questions. I did want to offer that the more devices you hang off the wireless network the slower the link will be to each device. This *may* have an impact on your streaming results on the Beyonwiz.

Regards,
Ian.
Cheers for that - but any other units "hanging off" the DAP would be turned off when using the BW and vice-versa.....

But good point though.

FG
1x Beyonwiz U4 (lounge), 1x Beyonwiz T4 (b/room), Dune HD Base 3D, Minix Neo U9-H,

Flash_Gordon
Master

Post by Flash_Gordon » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:24

......ummmm - anyone with the above info??? :?

Cheers

FG

Flash_Gordon
Master

Post by Flash_Gordon » Tue Apr 07, 2009 02:30

Flash_Gordon wrote:......ummmm - anyone with the above info??? :?

Cheers

FG
Anyone....? :(

Cheers

FG

bomber
Apprentice

Post by bomber » Tue Apr 07, 2009 09:08

Flash, sorry for missing post.

Wife said had a little difficuly setting up.
No help from D-Link help desk but D-Link sales were fantastic and it works pefectly.
Haven't streamed any video as yet so cannot comment.
ICE tv working very well.

Flash_Gordon
Master

Post by Flash_Gordon » Tue Apr 07, 2009 09:18

bomber wrote:Flash, sorry for missing post.

Wife said had a little difficuly setting up.
No help from D-Link help desk but D-Link sales were fantastic and it works pefectly.
Haven't streamed any video as yet so cannot comment.
ICE tv working very well.
Thanks for that. :)

Hmmmm another person's difficulty has usually turned into my nightmare... :shock:

Did she mention what the setup difficulties were she experienced?

Cheers

DP

bomber
Apprentice

Post by bomber » Tue Apr 07, 2009 09:32

Hi this is the 'wife' here. I had some trouble getting the Dlink to be seen by my router (Billion). I was initially told by someone at Dlink I needed another one to connect the two as it would not talk to my Billion router. When I had trouble doing that I rang Dlink sales, said what had happened and was put through to someone else to talk to who was a great help. Being only sort of techincally minded I found it difficult, but you may have more knowledge of these things than me. A few settings had to be changed when I went into the Dlink on my PC (it was hooked up to my router) then a few changes on the Beyonwiz. If you have trouble setting yours up I am happy to let you know what my settings are! It all works great now and have had no trouble at all.

Cheers,

Jodi.

Trekhead
Apprentice

Post by Trekhead » Sat Jul 04, 2009 08:25

I believe I am experiencing similar problems with networking my newly acquired D-Link DAP-1522 bridge with my Billion 7401VGPM modem.

Would appreciate if you could share details of both the beyonwiz and billion configuration setups to help me finally crack the problem.

Cheers

Trekhead

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sat Jul 04, 2009 14:14

Hi,

I hope all you guys trying to make the D-Link DAP-1522 work with the older models of Billion wireless modem/routers are aware that the Billion is a Wireless G device and the D-Link is a Wireless N device. The fastest the two will be able to talk to each other is at Wireless G speeds. This is probably not fast enough for HD streaming but should be fine for SD, IceTV and WizTV.

Regards,
Ian.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon Jul 06, 2009 15:23

Trekhead wrote:I believe I am experiencing similar problems with networking my newly acquired D-Link DAP-1522 bridge with my Billion 7401VGPM modem.

Would appreciate if you could share details of both the beyonwiz and billion configuration setups to help me finally crack the problem.
I'm no expert on this (far from it), but some of the below solved my issues when setting up a D-Link DWL-G810 wireless bridge to connect my DP-P2 to a Billion 7404-VGP.

Try setting a fixed IP address on the Wiz (outside the DHCP range of the Billion, e.g. use 192.168.1.100, you may have to set this up on the Billion too ['DHCP Table', 'permanent']).
Ensure the D-Link MAC addresses (for both its wireless and ethernet) are allowed by the Billion if you use MAC filtering. There's a 'Candidates' web-page button you can use to identify the addresses.
Try WPA-PSK security (not WPA2), and SSID _not_ hidden.
Or failing the above, temporarily turn off all Wireless security on the Billion to ensure connectivity, and then one by one turn the features back on.
Also, have you set the D-Link switch to 'Bridge' mode? Have you set the 'Wireless Mode' to 'infrastructure'?

By Default, I think the D-Link and the Billion will use different subnets, so if you haven't done it already, I think you'll have to change the default address of the D-Link.

Have you held your tongue to the left whilst hopping on your right leg and spinning in a circle?

Return to “Networking your Beyonwiz DP Series”