TIP - Beyonwiz sees shared directories as empty

PC, Mac and Linux Networking Hints and Tips.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

DaveR
Wizard

TIP - Beyonwiz sees shared directories as empty

Post by DaveR » Sat Jul 28, 2007 21:44

Q - Why does my Beyonwiz show shared directories as empty?

A - When sharing a directory in XP for accessing from the beyonwiz you need to give 'Everyone' at least Read permission on the directory's Security tab or the beyonwiz will only display an empty directory.

To Share a directory for accessing from a beyonwiz (with Simple File Sharing turned off):
1.) From within Window's Explorer right-click on the directory you want to share.
1a.) Select Properties from the pop up context menu and click on the Sharing tab.
1b.) Select Share This Folder.
1c.) Click on Permissions and make sure Everyone is listed in the 'Group or User Names' list box and that Full Control is checked under Allow. If Everyone is not listed see 'Adding the Everyone group' below.
1d.) Click OK to accept the settings and close the Permissions dialog.
2.) If you are using Windows Firewall you may need to add this new share to the list of shares allowed to be accessed on your network (access the settings at the bottom of this Sharing tab). Likewise for any 3rd party firewall software you may using.
3.) Click on the Security tab and make sure Everyone is listed in the 'Group or User Names' list box and that Full Control is checked under 'Permissions for Everyone'. If Everyone is not listed see 'Adding the Everyone group' below.

Adding the Everyone group:
If Everyone is not listed you need to click on the Add button. Then type Everyone in the white box and press OK.

Note: The above is for XP Pro SP2. Settings may differ in a different Windows version.

For more tips on successfully sharing directories so the beyonwiz can access them see bohemien's Networking FAQ
cheers
DaveR

IceTV, T4, T3, T2, P2, S1, FV-L1(P1 fw), TRF-2460, HDR-7500 and Skippa

Mork
Master

Post by Mork » Sun Oct 07, 2007 16:14

In Firmware version 01.04.14, you can add SMB (Windows) security to the Wiz. This means that you can use your Windows username/password, or create a user/password for the Wiz (Eg "MyWizuser") in windows, then if you make sure that you add the "users' group or the "MyWizUser" to the share permissions as Read, Change and Full Access you can work with the share and not worry about the potential security problems of giving "Guest" and "everyone" access.

Extra security hint....
You can also then disable the "guest" user account, and remove "everyone" from the share permissions.
Back to the Forum with a new V2. (RIP my ever trusty DP-S1 and DP-Lite) :D

Para Dox

Another cause of falsely empty shares on Windows7

Post by Para Dox » Sat May 08, 2010 18:26

PROBLEM:
From my Beyonwiz P1, file shares on my Windows7 Ultimate home PC appear empty.
After moving context back to the root directory, I could not even get back into what appeared to be an empty share the first time I entered it.

PROBLEM FIX:
When security hardening my PC, I had changed the Local Security Policy \ Security Options \ ?Microsoft network server: Digitally sign communications (if client agrees)? setting from the default setting of 'Disabled' to 'Enabled'.

This security setting determines whether the SMB server (the Windows7 PC) will negotiate SMB packet signing with clients (the Beyonwiz) that request it.

I did not expect this setting to impact the Wiz, because ?if client agrees? implies that digital signing of communications is optional, but not mandatory, for client communications.

There is possibly some issue with the way SMB client communications works on the Wiz.

I had to change the setting back to the default setting of 'Disabled' to fix the problem.

A detailed explanation of the setting can be found in the help text of the setting in the Local Security Policy configuration applet.
TV: Sony KDL50W800B (50" FullHD)
PVR: Beyonwiz V2
Antenna distribution amplifier: Antsig AP868
AV Receiver: Onkyo HT-R420
Audio/Video Switch: DigiTech AC-1688
Remote: Logitech Harmony 785

michaelmac
Apprentice

Post by michaelmac » Sat Dec 11, 2010 13:23

Thanks Dave, this worked on our Windows7 system can now see inside the directory, that's the last of my issues now I can sit back and enjoy it
Yamaha RX-V1800b
Panasonic TH-P60ST50A
Beyonwiz T4
Panasonic DMP-BD35
Western Digital Live
12Tb storage
Accusound Delta Series

corpquay
On probation

Beyonwiz and empty shared drives

Post by corpquay » Tue Apr 26, 2011 16:00

Thanks for the above info.

I had the same problem with my DP Lite.
But the instructions above solved it

Many Thanks
Darren.

http://www.5dflooring.com.au
Bamboo Laminate Flooring

shaydock

Re: TIP - Beyonwiz sees shared directories as empty

Post by shaydock » Fri Feb 21, 2014 23:40

Not sure if anybody reads this any more, but I just had a win with this problem after reading countless forums and advice from a whole lot of kind people.

In the sharing permissions section of the folder I added "guest" as a user, and then changed the permissions to full control for the guest account. All of a sudden I could see the files in the folders. So far it works, we shall see if it continues to work. I have no idea how everyone else doesn't suffer this issue.

Thanks guys for your help, really valuable.

Return to “Networking your Beyonwiz DP Series”