Slow Wiz over the network

PC, Mac and Linux Networking Hints and Tips.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Bandit
Apprentice

Slow Wiz over the network

Post by Bandit » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:00

Hi guys - I've got my Wiz set-up and everything is working fairly well so far. I'm greatly impressed.

But I'm having trouble loading files over the network. Unless the file size is tiny (less than 50k) it takes forever to load ... so long that I have to abort by putting the unit in standby and turning back on. Even very small jpg's take a long time to load.

The length of cable from the Wiz to the server is probably about 45 metres (the server is in a separate building in the backyard) and I'm wondering whether this is the reason why it's so slow. The Wiz has no problems seeing the network, folders, files etc ... in fact you can browse through them quite fast, but loading files is useless.

Also the ICE EPG seems to load OK.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

JasonJ
Apprentice

Post by JasonJ » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:44

I woud break things by simplifiying your installation. If you think about it, the problem is either...
* your media server
* network switch
* cables in use, including the 45m run
* the BW
I would physically move the BW to your network switch to eliminate the long run and use a short patch cable. If the problem goes away, you know it's to do with the long cable. 45m should be OK for cat5, but so long as you don't have any bad joins etc.
Try resetting your network switch, use different ports etc.

Hope this helps.

Bandit
Apprentice

Post by Bandit » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:38

JasonJ wrote:I woud break things by simplifiying your installation. If you think about it, the problem is either...
* your media server
* network switch
* cables in use, including the 45m run
* the BW
I would physically move the BW to your network switch to eliminate the long run and use a short patch cable. If the problem goes away, you know it's to do with the long cable. 45m should be OK for cat5, but so long as you don't have any bad joins etc.
Try resetting your network switch, use different ports etc.

Hope this helps.
Hi Jason - Thanks for the suggestions. I moved the BW close to the network switch and used the short patch cable provided to plug into the switch. But it made no difference. I reset the switch by powering it off and back on, I changed ports that the BW was plugged into but with no success.

It still takes over 20 seconds for small JPG's to load (less than 40k) and you can forget anything larger! (pics or movies.)

Do you think it's worth replacing the switch even though the computers using it are working ok?

JasonJ
Apprentice

Post by JasonJ » Sun Jun 03, 2007 15:07

All sounding very peculiar. I guess next you need to eliminate the media server. I have seen things like MTU problems or duplicated IP's create problems when transferring larger files. It would be good to eliminate the media you're viewing also. Perhaps transfer onto a USB thumb drive and view direct on the BW.

Another good test would be using one of your other computers, copy a largish file, say 10 or 20MB to the media server. Time the copy. Then copy the same file back again. The time taken should be equal. At 10Mb your 'loosely' shifting 1MB per second.

Also consider an IP address conflict. Are you certain there are no duplicates?

Could also be the switch as you suggest. But in my opinion it's pretty rare to see a switch that falls over with larger fles. They seem to either work or not. But at the end of the day, anything is possible so if you have access to another switch temporarily it would be worth a try.

You could also access the media on the BW from another PC share. That would help eliminate problems with the server.

Sometimes you need to put on a Sherlock Holmes hat with problems that don't make sense. But take heart in that if you can reliably replicate a problem, sooner or later you'll isolate it. It's just a matter of elimination (and persistence).

Bandit
Apprentice

Post by Bandit » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:16

JasonJ wrote:All sounding very peculiar. I guess next you need to eliminate the media server. I have seen things like MTU problems or duplicated IP's create problems when transferring larger files. It would be good to eliminate the media you're viewing also. Perhaps transfer onto a USB thumb drive and view direct on the BW.

Another good test would be using one of your other computers, copy a largish file, say 10 or 20MB to the media server. Time the copy. Then copy the same file back again. The time taken should be equal. At 10Mb your 'loosely' shifting 1MB per second.

Also consider an IP address conflict. Are you certain there are no duplicates?

Could also be the switch as you suggest. But in my opinion it's pretty rare to see a switch that falls over with larger fles. They seem to either work or not. But at the end of the day, anything is possible so if you have access to another switch temporarily it would be worth a try.

You could also access the media on the BW from another PC share. That would help eliminate problems with the server.

Sometimes you need to put on a Sherlock Holmes hat with problems that don't make sense. But take heart in that if you can reliably replicate a problem, sooner or later you'll isolate it. It's just a matter of elimination (and persistence).
Thanks again Jason, I appreciate your help.

I only have a basic understanding of computers, so I'm a bit lost with this network stuff. And I have no idea what a MTU problem is!

I have 2 computers both with XP pro. The first acts as a server, in that the ADSL router is connected to it. It is also connected to the switch. The second computer and the BW are connected to the switch as well. So I don't actually have a media server as such.

I've copied several different types of files, pics, music, movies to a CF card and plugged it directly into the front of the BW and all files played perfectly. The same files, in a shared directory on the 1st computer, with sharing enabled etc can be seen and selected by the BW but the little "loading" thing just goes on forever - without the file ever loading (unless it's very small).

The wiz can't see any of the shared folders on the second computer so I can't try loading from there but the fact that it can't them could be related to the same network problem.

Anyway, I thought I should get some professional help to come around and give me a hand so I went to the computer geeks website - but it won't work! I sent them an email asking them to give me a local contact - but they haven't responded! Hardly confidence inspiring is it? I'll keep plugging away and let you know how I go.

Cheers

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:43

Hi Bandit,

To check for performance issues you should try and eliminate as much of the network as possible and see if the issue persists. The most simple network required for the basic test is to connect the Beyonwiz directly to a PC using a cross-over cable. Make sure that the PC and the Beyonwiz have compatible fixed IP addresses. Also make sure that firewalls and other software are not setup or enable that could interfere with the flow of data. When using this simple network test for the problem again. If found, one or other device (or the cable) are at fault, if not, the issue lies with other components in your network.

If the simple case still has issues then try another cable and/or another PC to see if the fault moves with either of the swapped out items.

If the simple case works then start reconnecting your network, one item at a time until the problem presents.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Ian.

JasonJ
Apprentice

Post by JasonJ » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:55

Hi Bandit
Good luck with the local guy. Let us know what you find.

Bandit
Apprentice

Post by Bandit » Tue Jun 12, 2007 17:39

JasonJ wrote:Hi Bandit
Good luck with the local guy. Let us know what you find.
Hi guys
Well after many frustrating hours trying to get file transfers working and after having an expert spend all day here yesterday trying every possible configuration change under the sun - out of desperation we thought we should try a different network card. This is despite the fact that the original card worked fine accessing the Internet and the other computer on my home network - and vice versa. Anyway I put a new network card in this afternoon - and BINGO the wiz now works perfectly over the network. GO FIGURE!

Anyway many thanks to Jason and Ian for their help and suggestions. I'm a very, very happy wiz owner now.

Cheers

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Tue Jun 12, 2007 23:44

Probably too late, but the symptoms you describe are typical of network speed settings mismatch.

If you are using 10 Mbit network, then your card should have been set to 10 Half-Duplex. If you are using a 100 Mbit network, your card should have been set to 100 Full-Duplex.

If you don't get this right, you will see perfectly normal behaviour on very light traffic, but as soon as you attempt to transfer large amounts of data, your network slows down or dies completely.

Bandit
Apprentice

Post by Bandit » Wed Jun 13, 2007 08:50

peteru wrote:Probably too late, but the symptoms you describe are typical of network speed settings mismatch.

If you are using 10 Mbit network, then your card should have been set to 10 Half-Duplex. If you are using a 100 Mbit network, your card should have been set to 100 Full-Duplex.

If you don't get this right, you will see perfectly normal behaviour on very light traffic, but as soon as you attempt to transfer large amounts of data, your network slows down or dies completely.
That was thought of and investigated early. We tried all different card settings but it made no difference. And because the original card was working perfectly otherwise, we discounted it as the problem. It was only after we had tried everything else (including a replacement Wiz from the dealer) that we tried swapping the card.

macca
Apprentice

Post by macca » Wed Jun 13, 2007 13:34

Now I'm confused, I thought that the networking part of the BW firmware wasn't yet enabled, but you have it working on a network?

If so, can you enlighten us as to what configuration/s you had to enable or change both on the BW and your PC.

I have a Cat 5e network at home, running through a gigabit switch or two, all tested to gigabit speed (woohoo), while I can ping the BW from my laptop I can't seem to connect to it, nor can I see the laptop from the BW. I can however see a DreamBox from the BW and play files from the Dreambox's HDD on the BW.

Any advice would be appreciated, while I'm happy to wait for a firmware upgrade to get the networking part of it going, if I can do so earlier I'd be stoked!

Cheers and TIA

DaveR
Wizard

Post by DaveR » Wed Jun 13, 2007 13:40

macca wrote:Now I'm confused, I thought that the networking part of the BW firmware wasn't yet enabled, but you have it working on a network?
Streaming files via the network has always worked. i.e. the bw can see and play files on the network. You just can't access the bw from the network yet, or copy files.
cheers
DaveR

IceTV, T4, T3, T2, P2, S1, FV-L1(P1 fw), TRF-2460, HDR-7500 and Skippa

macca
Apprentice

Post by macca » Wed Jun 13, 2007 13:44

OK then, it must be an issue with the WinXP settings on my laptop that stops the BW seeing the lappy's HDD.

Cheers Dave :)

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Thu Jun 14, 2007 09:01

Hi Dave,
macca wrote:OK then, it must be an issue with the WinXP settings on my laptop that stops the BW seeing the lappy's HDD.
The current Beyonwiz firmware does not have the ability to set the account username and password that the DP-S1 uses to connect to other devices on the network. Currently it will only try to gain access to your other network devices via the "Guest" account.

For this to work on Windows XP you must enable the "Guest" account for login and you must remove the policy registry entry that denies "Guest" from network login access. Also remember that you must have at least 1 share available for the Beyonwiz to find and connect to.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Ian.

macca
Apprentice

Post by macca » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:32

Thanks Ian, I've done all that you've suggested, even other suggestions elsewhere on this site and dtvforum, but still no joy.

The network access problem surfaced not long ago when I was trying to access an MVIX760-HD via the network, so I don't think it's a BW problem, but I'm not a network expert to say definately where the issue is.

The BW does see my Dreambox and streams files from it so I know it can see other devices, just not the computer in this case. Like others, a BW network search gets to 49% and finishes.

I'm going to have to spend some time with the security settings on the laptop...ah the joy of computing!

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Jun 15, 2007 00:06

Hi Dave,
macca wrote:The BW does see my Dreambox and streams files from it so I know it can see other devices, just not the computer in this case. Like others, a BW network search gets to 49% and finishes.!
Hmmmmmm, on my network the scan pauses for a short while on 49% and then continues on to the full 100%.

I wonder if you might be having a cable or router issue?

Yell out if you need any more assistance.

Regards,
Ian.

Return to “Networking your Beyonwiz DP Series”