Wiz only detects some PCs on Network

PC, Mac and Linux Networking Hints and Tips.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Ricshagher
Apprentice

Wiz only detects some PCs on Network

Post by Ricshagher » Thu Jul 19, 2007 20:09

My wiz can see all the computers on my network except for my Desktop PC. It can see files on my work laptop via w-lan and on my housemates laptop via lan. I went and bought a Belkin wireless USB adaptor for the Desktop PC and can connect to the router and internet with it but the wiz still doesn't pick it up. Yes - have set some files to share.

Does anyone know what the problem might be?

SimonB
Master

Post by SimonB » Thu Jul 19, 2007 20:21

What OS are you running?

Ricshagher
Apprentice

Post by Ricshagher » Fri Jul 20, 2007 09:07

Running XP Home on the Desktop PC that I can't get working and XP Pro on the work laptop and XP Home on the housemates laptop...

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Jul 20, 2007 09:09

Hi Ricshagher,

Assuming you are running some version of Windows, have you read through the various networking posts on this forum? In particular the posts dealing with enabling networked Guest access to the notebook.

Regards,
Ian.

Ricshagher
Apprentice

Post by Ricshagher » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:55

Have read all the related Networking posts...All the other computers on the Network can see the shared files except for the BeyonWiz....

vegau007
Apprentice

wlan setup

Post by vegau007 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:25

if using the wlan, use the Wireless Network Setup Wizard on the desktop computer it will then be able to be seen by the Bwiz

Ricshagher
Apprentice

Post by Ricshagher » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:35

I tried the Wizard but then it made some "bridged connection" and then the wireless wouldn't work...

vegau007
Apprentice

networking help

Post by vegau007 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:36

Search my postes on networking it may help you setup

Regards
Vegau007

vegau007
Apprentice

"bridged connection"

Post by vegau007 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:47

remove the "bridged connection" it's not needed there are more options all your trying to do is setup sharing of the wlan, if you still have problems i maybe able to help you setup over the phone you call me, send me a private message if you want to

Ricshagher
Apprentice

Post by Ricshagher » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:57

Cool, Thanks. There are a few things that I will try when I get home tonight but failing that I will get your number tonight if okay...thanks

vegau007
Apprentice

Post by vegau007 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:02

coolo mate np, File sharing in Windows requires NetBIOS over TCP/IP to be enabled. install netbios and ipx/spx in network properties check that to.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:31

Hi Vegau007,
vegau007 wrote:coolo mate np, File sharing in Windows requires NetBIOS over TCP/IP to be enabled. install netbios and ipx/spx in network properties check that to.
You shouldn't need to install netbios support in windows to get file sharing working. You certainly don't want ipx/spx unless you are running an old Novell network! The broadcasts that ipx/spx creates could be very detrimental to a media streaming network.

Regards,
Ian.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:34

Hi Ricshagher,

When you enabled file sharing on your computer did you also enable the Guest account for login? Did you edit the registry, or use the Group Policy Editor to enable network permission for the Guest account (more particularly you need to remove Guest from the list of accounts that may not login via the network).

Regards,
Ian.

Ricshagher
Apprentice

Post by Ricshagher » Fri Jul 20, 2007 13:14

Thanks guys but,

Yep - TCP/IP is enabled...

Yep - Have set up a Guest account. Does group policy apply to XP Home and if so where are the settings located?

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Jul 20, 2007 15:39

Hi Ricshagher,
Ricshagher wrote:Yep - Have set up a Guest account. Does group policy apply to XP Home and if so where are the settings located?
I have never used Windows XP Home as I have always worked in networked environments. I don't know if Windows XP Home supports these settings (but you can always give it a try)...

You want to go into Control Panel and select "Local Security Policy" from within "Administrative Tools". In there on the left hand menu select from the top level "Security Settings" you need to expand "Local Policies" and then select "User Rights Assignment". Now on the right hand side of the screen look at the left column and find "Deny access to this computer from the network" double click this entry and it will open a popup edit window to allow you to edit the entry. Find the entry for "Guest" and select it, then press the Delete button to remove the Guest account from the Deny list. Close the popup edit window and the Local Security Settings program window. This change should now allow the Beyonwiz to use the Guest account from across the network to access that PC.

If this doesn't work then I suggest that you reverse these steps to put things back the way you found them in case something else is accidentally broken.

I hope this helps you.

Regards,
Ian.

bohemian
Master

Post by bohemian » Fri Jul 20, 2007 15:50

If you havent tried already, you should disconnect the other PCs from the network and test your failing PC on its own. That will test if there is a conflict with another PC.

If the Bwiz can now see your PC make sure that all your PCs are in the same Workgroup

Group policy doesnt apply to XP Home, so dont worrry about security / access pemissions.
The wise learn from the mistakes of others.

DP-S1 + DP-P1

Ricshagher
Apprentice

urrghhhh

Post by Ricshagher » Fri Jul 20, 2007 18:00

urrrgghhh...so frustating

I can ping the wiz and it provides an average response time of 24 ms but the damn thing still won't recognise my desktop PC.

Can't figure this one out. It can find my housemates laptop with XP Home on his system.

There is no Local Access Policy in Adminitrative Tools in XP Home...

:o[

bohemian
Master

Re: urrghhhh

Post by bohemian » Fri Jul 20, 2007 19:24

Ricshagher wrote:urrrgghhh...so frustating

. . . Can't figure this one out. It can find my housemates laptop with XP Home on his system.
Dont know if you wrote that wrong, but can your mates laptop see and connect to the shares on your problem PC.
The wise learn from the mistakes of others.

DP-S1 + DP-P1

Ricshagher
Apprentice

Found a fix...

Post by Ricshagher » Sat Jul 21, 2007 09:17

For anyone that has enabled file sharing and having difficulties here is the fix that worked for me...

Start Regedit
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SYSTEM / CurrentControlSet / Control / Lsa
Change the value of a key called "restrictanonymous" to 0 instead of 1
Don't change "restrictanonymoussam" value.
Reboot

Ricshagher
The Wonderful Wizard of Box...

colourful21
Master

Re: Found a fix...

Post by colourful21 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 09:58

Ricshagher wrote:For anyone that has enabled file sharing and having difficulties here is the fix that worked for me...

Start Regedit
Reboot

Ricshagher
What does this do exactly?

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:29

Hi Colourful21,
colourful21 wrote:
Ricshagher wrote:For anyone that has enabled file sharing and having difficulties here is the fix that worked for me...

Start Regedit
Reboot

Ricshagher
At a guess I think this key controls restrictions on the use of anonymous (un-authenticated) accounts. Setting the key to 0 turns that level of protection off. I thought that this was automatically done when you enabled Guest access for the computer.

Anyway, here is a link that talks about relevant Windows network issues and some suggestions on how to fix them. It is a little old but should still offer some guidence to those having problems. I do not advocate everything that is stated there but the comments may help some of you with network issues to resolve your problem. In particular, where the article talks about removing firewalls and wireless network security I strongly recommend that this be done as a short term measure for diagnostic purposes and that all security measures should be reinstated as soon as the issue is diagnosed. Do not leave your PC's and wireless networks unprotected!

Regards,
Ian.

colourful21
Master

Post by colourful21 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:35

IanSav wrote:Hi Colourful21,
colourful21 wrote:

Start Regedit
Reboot

Ricshagher
At a guess I think this key controls restrictions on the use of anonymous (un-authenticated) accounts. Setting the key to 0 turns that level of protection off. I thought that this was automatically done when you enabled Guest access for the computer.

Anyway, here is a link that talks about relevant Windows network issues and some suggestions on how to fix them. It is a little old but should still offer some guidence to those having problems. I do not advocate everything that is stated there but the comments may help some of you with network issues to resolve your problem. In particular, where the article talks about removing firewalls and wireless network security I strongly recommend that this be done as a short term measure for diagnostic purposes and that all security measures should be reinstated as soon as the issue is diagnosed. Do not leave your PC's and wireless networks unprotected!

Regards,
Ian.
Thanks!

Return to “Networking your Beyonwiz DP Series”