Streaming files over WLAN problem - very unstable

PC, Mac and Linux Networking Hints and Tips.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

colourful21
Master

Streaming files over WLAN problem - very unstable

Post by colourful21 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 19:32

This has been really infuriating. The avi. files I've streamed seem to work fine when I tested it briefly yesterday, but not today when I have sat down to actually watch the files in full.
One problem I've had is the playing file randomly freezes after a while (the image on the TV freezes also), and after about ten seconds, the TV goes black, and a message pops up saying 'Unsupported Format'!! So obviously, this is the Wiz's problem rather than a fault of the network, I would logically assume.
Next, it goes back into the File Playback screen, and if I try to go back into my shared folder on the network, it pops up with a warning message which says 'Access Error: Temporarily Not Accessible', and this keeps popping about about 5 or 6 times before I could actually exit back to Live TV. And during this period where the warning keeps popping up, no other button works to escape this screen, so I'm stuck waiting for the messages to stop by themselves. When they do stop, my shared folder over the network disappears (although the other folders like Printer 1 and Printer 2 are still visible). I have to rescan the network to get my shared folder back, but I think this didn't always work either.
I can't say whether this happened before the firmware upgrade because I didn't have a network then. However, I did do a hard reset and a factory reset to see if it would fix the problem. It didn't.
BTW, I still get the 'Wireless LAN setup failure' message when trying to change the network settings, and, when I scan for the network, it only goes to 49% like a few of you.
The point is I can't rely on streaming files over WLAN to watch files because I have no idea if they'll suddenly freeze on me or not. It's annoying to watch half a file, have it freeze, then having to wait for the Wiz to right itself again before trying to find the spot in the file where it froze. Arrgh.
Sorry for being so garrulous but I did want this to go to the Wiz's tech people as well.

BullockBob
Master

Post by BullockBob » Wed Jul 18, 2007 22:38

Not trying to be difficult but it would be helpful just to post in one forum, otherwise it makes keeping up with who said what rather frustrating. I'm sure the BW dudes will see it, especially if you post to the Feedback forum.

Cheers
Bob

madmax
Wizard

Post by madmax » Wed Jul 18, 2007 23:18

I have to say, as a general point to everybody out there, you'd be crazy to depend on WLAN unless you absolutely have no possible way of running an ethernet cable - not sure if that applies to you colourful21. But is it possible as a test to run a temporary ethernet cable and play the same .avi file and see what happens?

colourful21
Master

Post by colourful21 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 05:24

madmax wrote:I have to say, as a general point to everybody out there, you'd be crazy to depend on WLAN unless you absolutely have no possible way of running an ethernet cable - not sure if that applies to you colourful21. But is it possible as a test to run a temporary ethernet cable and play the same .avi file and see what happens?
I don't have a long enough cable to test it right now, but will get one to try maybe on the weekend. I know it's rather optimistic to rely on WLAN, but based on the error messages I'm getting, I can only assume it's the fault of the Wiz, especially when it says 'Unsupported Format' even though it has already played some of the file! Unless of course the error message is in itself an error! Anything's possible ....

Anyone else out there using WLAN?

mankmeister
Apprentice

Post by mankmeister » Thu Jul 19, 2007 06:53

I replied to your post in the Feedback section.

Return to “Networking your Beyonwiz DP Series”