DP-S1 Wireless Network HowTo

PC, Mac and Linux Networking Hints and Tips.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

DaveR
Wizard

DP-S1 Wireless Network HowTo

Post by DaveR » Sat Feb 09, 2008 19:50

Setting up Wireless Networking on a DP-S1

If you do not already have a Wireless Home Network setup you should read this first:
Setting up a Simple Wireless Network on Windows XP (it applies almost as much to Vista as it does to XP)

Once you have your W-LAN working you then need to set the correct settings on your DP-S1:

Got to Setup > Network > Setting

W-LAN:
Change the Network Device to WLAN
- If the settings beneath W-LAN are not visible then select W-LAN and press OK

DHCP:
Ideally you want DHCP set to Enabled. Press the green button to check the Status and see the DHCP assigned IP settings. If the settings are all 0 then:
- Put the S1 into Standby
- Reboot your DHCP server (router or access point)
- Once the DHCP server is back online, turn on the S1
- Once the S1 is fully on, check the W-LAN Status again (as above)
  • If you're unable to get an IP via DHCP then you'll need to manually assign the IP and netmask etc.

Manually Assign an IP Address:

IP Address:
    - The first 9 digits must be identical to the first 9 digits assigned to other devices on your W-LAN.
    - The last 3 digits must be different to the last 3 digits assigned to other devices on your W-LAN, and MUST also be outside the range that your DHCP. If your DHCP server is 192.168.0.1 and controls from 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.32 then you need to pick an address greater than 192.168.0.32 (and less than 192.168.0.254). So you could for example use 192.168.000.033, or something more memorable like 192.168.000.101.
    Note: A single .0. as used by many network devices is the same as .000. used on the S1

Subnet Mask:
    - Set it to 255.255.255.000

Gateway:
    - Set it to the address used by your Router/Internet-Gateway

Primary DNS Server:
    - Set it to the address used by your Router/Internet-Gateway

Primary DNS Server:
    - Leave it as 000.000.000.000

MAC Address:
    - Can not be changed. This only displays the S1's MAC Address in case you want to add it to your router's Allowed MAC Addresses table.
Scroll down to the next page on the S1's W-LAN settings menu....

Network Name (SSID):
- Press OK then answer yes to have the S1 search for local W-LANs or no manually type in your W-LAN's SSID.
- If the seach fails you have a problem with your W-LAN's signal or settings. Make sure your router is set to broadcast it's SSID. Check both the S1's antennas are pointing vertical. Or try a different channel on your Router/Access-Point.
- If the search lists more than one SSID then select yours and press OK.
- If the search lists only your SSID then press OK.

Network Type:
- Set it to Infrastructure if you're connecting to a Router or Access-Point.
- Set it to Adhoc if you're connecting directly to a PC.

Authentication Type:
- Set it to OPEN.

Encryption Type:
- Set it to NONE if you are not using any encryption security on your W-LAN.
- Set it to WEP if you want to use encryption security on your W-LAN.
Note: If using WEP all your other W-LAN devices will need to also be set to WEP

WPAPSK Key:
- Leave it blank

Default WEP Key ID:
- Leave it as 1

Key1:
- Set it to EXACTLY the same as the WEP key used on your W-LAN router's W-LAN security settings. Pay attention to which characters are upper and lower case etc.
Note: Spaces in the key's passphrase are likely to cause problems

Key2, Key3 and Key4:
- Leave them blank

Save and Exit:
Now press the red button to apply the changes. If you did everything correctly the status should show that the S1 is now connected to your W-LAN. If it shows that the S1 is not connected then press Exit twice to leave the network setting menu (some networking won't work until you exit the network setting menu. If you are asked whether to Apply the changes or not, you should answer Yes.

After making any changes to the network settings you should:
- Put the S1 into Standby
- Reboot your DHCP server (router or access point)
- Once the DHCP server is back online, turn on the S1
- Once the S1 is fully on, check the W-LAN Status again (as above)

What Next?
You will now want to make use of your S1's connection to your network. Depending on what you intend to use the networking for you could:
- Setup your IceTV settings.
- Setup shared directories on a network accessable HDD so the S1 can copy/move recordings and play/show files.
- Setup WizPNP to use WizFX to download recordings from the S1.
- Setup WizPNP to Stream files between multiple beyonwiz devices.

Troubleshooting:
If your S1 is still showing that it is not connected to your W-LAN then you need to do some troubleshooting, starting with signal strength and then checking your router's and/or access point's W-LAN security settings and firewall because either the S1 is not getting a W-LAN signal or your router/access-point is refusing to allow it to connect.

If you still can't get the S1 to connect to your W-LAN you should disable ALL wireless LAN security on your both router/firewall/access-point AND on the S1 until after you are able to get the S1 connected wirelessly to your network. Then re-enable one security option at a time while checking that the S1 can still connect.
cheers
DaveR

IceTV, T4, T3, T2, P2, S1, FV-L1(P1 fw), TRF-2460, HDR-7500 and Skippa

DaveR
Wizard

Post by DaveR » Sat Feb 09, 2008 20:32

Setting up Networking on a Beyonwiz

To setup Ethernet (LAN) networking on a DP-H1, DP-P1 or DP-S1 is extremely easy if you have a DHCP server on your network. Just set DHCP to enabled and reboot the router and beyonwiz.

If you are unable to get an IP address assigned via DHCP then just follow the steps above from W-LAN down to MAC address (replace W-LAN with LAN).

You can even download and follow a lot of the setup guide linked to above because a lot of it is general networking that applies equally to Ethernet an Wireless Networking.
cheers
DaveR

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sun Feb 10, 2008 00:44

Hi Dave,

I think you should point out that your guide does provide a very basic configuration with minimal security.

For security reasons I generally recommend that the SSID not be broadcast. I also suggest WPA as a minimum rather than WEP be used for stronger/better encryption. If people are very concerned about network security then they may also care to limit wireless access to only those devices listed in their router's security table.

For network stability I also suggest that, if your router's DHCP server permits it, all devices should be registered to always be allocated the same IP address.

Regards,
Ian.

NPR
Master

Post by NPR » Mon Mar 10, 2008 17:09

Dave, is it worth mentioning the stability and reliability differences people are experiencing between WEP and WPA/2? I'm sure you've followed the posts regarding this, but I'm happy to list the specifics.
Philips plasma, Harmon Kardon amp, Logitec 525 Uni Remote, Klipsch speakers
BW, after owning a Toppy 7000, after owning a Media Centre, after owning a Strong box

DaveR
Wizard

Post by DaveR » Wed Mar 12, 2008 22:53

NPR wrote:Dave, is it worth mentioning the stability and reliability differences people are experiencing between WEP and WPA/2?
Definitely. People need to be aware (before they buy or setup a W-LAN) of all the variables.
NPR wrote:I'm happy to list the specifics.
Please do.
cheers
DaveR

NPR
Master

Post by NPR » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:40

The following is based on the experiences of users who have had issues with the reliability of their wireless network.

In order of reliability;
WEP (64 or 128 bit encryption) with OPEN authentification
Appears to be a good place to start to ensure a reliable connection. Obviously the poorer cousin in terms of security, but some users have found this setting useful if they've experienced problems (detailed next) with WPA 1/2

WPA(1) and WPA2
WPA1 is activated by setting encryption to TKIP and WPAPSK authentification. WPA2 is activated by setting the encryption to AES.
See tonymy01's post here http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/phpbb2/viewt ... light=wpa1
Despite successfully establishing a wireless connection, evidenced by the 'Status' menu, both WPA 1/2 have created problems for
some users, including the following:
- Terminates connection during file transfer from BW to PC/NAS.
- Limited and unpredictable streaming of media files. Files will initially play then cease, freezing the BW
- When WPA is activated, file streaming may stutter in larger files that are more demanding on the network.
- Some users have found incompatibility with WPA and their routers altogether
- The issues are known, and are listed in the bug/wish list thus;

5. Networking issues, as follows:
(a) video files played wirelessly frequently succumb to unpredictable freezes, even in systems that stream successfully, with the BW often corrupting the wireless network necessitating reconnection. (We suspect the cause is poor error handling, WPA/WPA2 encryption overheads and/or limited buffer tolerance to changes in network/BW demands).
(b) many reports of wireless incompatibility with WPA2 or WPA/WPA2 routers.

and

9. Network functionality improvements, as follows:
(f) improvement to error tolerance and network robustness when wirelessly streaming files, whereby the BW provides more meaningful error messages (rather than the current "Unsupported format"), maintains connection and allows the user to recommence streaming in a timely manner.

In recognition of Ian's comments (URL below) I think it?s worth mentioning the following caveats;
- It is unclear yet whether the issue lies solely with the BW, or with routers or both. Further testing is required
- Many users have yet to experience this behaviour with WPA. If you do however, please post your experiences.
http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/phpbb2/viewt ... c&start=15
Last edited by NPR on Thu Mar 13, 2008 13:53, edited 1 time in total.
BW, after owning a Toppy 7000, after owning a Media Centre, after owning a Strong box

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Mar 13, 2008 13:40

Just curious - what's the format of the WEP key on the BW? Just a string of 8 resp 16 hex digits? Does the case of a-f matter?
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

NPR
Master

Post by NPR » Thu Mar 13, 2008 13:56

prl wrote:Just curious - what's the format of the WEP key on the BW? Just a string of 8 resp 16 hex digits? Does the case of a-f matter?
I've simply used the asci key that all my routers have accepted.. 10 for 64bit from memory

PLANT
Master

Post by PLANT » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:24

Any change or improved security settings with the .280 firmware?

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:47

Hi Plant,
PLANT wrote:Any change or improved security settings with the .280 firmware?
Not that I am aware of.

Regards,
Ian.

glow
Guru

Post by glow » Mon Jan 26, 2009 22:50

I've also been having trouble getting WizFX file transfers from my DP-S1 (280 firmware) via wireless with WPA security. I tried to move a 10 minute recording of 401,892K. It repeatedly failed with "socket error 10060 connection timed out" after about 2 minutes having transferred 74,212K or a little bit more..
I also tried WizZilla - that also failed but the error handling wasn't as good - it just kept advancing the time remaining.

As has been suggested in this and other threads I changed to WEP security and the transfer was fine.

I have an Asus WL-520GC router.

I'm not real happy about having inferior security on my wireless network. I hope the WPA problems in the DP-S1 will be addressed soon.

DaveR
Wizard

Post by DaveR » Sat Jan 31, 2009 17:07

glow wrote:I hope the WPA problems in the DP-S1 will be addressed soon.
Hopefully.

But in the meantime, what was the S1 doing while you were transferring the file? It could be like the WizPNP streaming between wizzes where some HD files stutter if the Server wiz is displaying anything onscreen other than a menu. Open the file player or setup menu on the Server Wiz and you can then stream any HD files perfectly.

So try the same thing with WPA enabled. Open the file player or setup menu on the S1 and then see if you can transfers files without problems.
cheers
DaveR

glow
Guru

Post by glow » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:44

Dave? wrote: But in the meantime, what was the S1 doing while you were transferring the file? It could be like the WizPNP streaming between wizzes where some HD files stutter if the Server wiz is displaying anything onscreen other than a menu. Open the file player or setup menu on the Server Wiz and you can then stream any HD files perfectly.

So try the same thing with WPA enabled. Open the file player or setup menu on the S1 and then see if you can transfers files without problems.
I knew about the problems multitasking a Wiz while transferring a file so indeed I had it sitting at the file player or setup menu doing nothing.

I'm tempted to get another wireless router set up as just an access point to avoid the Wiz wireless.

bernien
Apprentice

Post by bernien » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:57

I have used the very helpful advice found in the Beyonwiz forum plus the ?How-To Guide? in http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/guides.asp to set up a wireless network between my DP-P1 and my Desktop PC (running Widows XP Home) using WPA wireless security. I did have some problems along the way and I found that there were a couple of essential points required to get good stable operation as follows.

1. Turn off the windows firewall. My DP-P1 could not see my PC with the windows firewall turned on. The ADSL modem firewall is quiet adequate on its own.

2. On the router assign a DHCP Server starting address of 10 and an ending address of 254. EG 10.1.1.10 starting IP address and 10.1.1.254 ending IP address. Assign a static IP to each of the fixed devices on the network. In my case as follows.

Dlink DSL-604T wireless ADSL modem/router - Static IP 10.1.1.1
Dell desktop PC - Static IP 10.1.1.2
Dlink DAP-1150 switched to ?Client? - Static IP 10.1.1.3
Beyonwiz DP-P1 ? Static IP 10.1.1.4

Any transient devices such as laptops will pick up at IP 10.1.1.10 and above.

The distance between my router and the Beyonwiz is over 20 metres with several walls in between. I get a transfer speed of about 1.5 MB/s Beyonwiz to PC and at least that or better the other way.

glow
Guru

Post by glow » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:39

I ended up using another wireless router as a wireless bridge so I could connect both my S1 and P1 to my network and to ease the pressure on the poor S1.

I'm beginning to think I should have got a P2 instead of an S1 since I'm no longer using the wireless nor the DVD player and having the remote the same on P1 and S1 in the same room is such a pain.

achjimmy
Apprentice

Post by achjimmy » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:33

Dave i used this guide and a big thanks, I now have the S1 streaming video from my PC's wirelessly, whilst i am going to hook up to a wired connection i have not got the switch yet so i thought i would try wireless. Very impressed so far.

Thanks again
Rgds

Jim

Maindee
Master

Help for a Dullard

Post by Maindee » Sun Feb 28, 2010 15:55

Hi

Could someone please provide help in setting up my S1 for wireless connection to my Laptop.

All was working well until I sent my laptop to be repaired. On its return all was working OK in that the laptop was connected wireless to the router (Netgear) and I had internet access. But no connection to the BZ. In trying to get it connected I have tried a thousand and one things but no luck. In doing so, I have now also lost wireless connection to the internet.

I think that I really need to start from scratch but some obvious questions arise:

how do I check that the wireless bit of the router is working OK?

how do I get delete the guest account on my laptop (at present I have no delete function and have control only over its name and icon.

Maindee
Master

me again

Post by Maindee » Sun Feb 28, 2010 16:00

ooops - I seem to have sent this note before I had really finished.

I meant to add that I am running Vista Home Premium and Norton with its firewall disabled. Also, I have noted some excellent advice in this forum which I will use when I can get my laptop back to a neutral state.

Thanks for any help you can give.you help.

Gully

Re: me again

Post by Gully » Sun Feb 28, 2010 16:06

Maindee wrote:ooops - I seem to have sent this note before I had really finished.
You can edit your original post to include the missing bit and then delete the 2nd one.

All the buttons are in the top right corner of each post.
Cheers
Gully

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Mar 22, 2010 07:58

Gully wrote:
Maindee wrote:ooops - I seem to have sent this note before I had really finished.
You can edit your original post to include the missing bit and then delete the 2nd one.
Maindee's second message can't be deleted now that people have posted in the topic :)
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Gully

Post by Gully » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:30

prl wrote:
Gully wrote:
Maindee's second message can't be deleted now that people have posted in the topic :)
True but I still can. :D
Cheers
Gully

ciscus
Master

Networking your Beyonwiz

Post by ciscus » Sun May 09, 2010 00:23

Just as a follow up to users who have a problem with networking/security.

I have learned that you should NOT to use the PassPhrase on the Beyonwiz but enter key 1 manually and DO NOT enable the PassPhrase.

So long as both wireless boxes have the same security protocols configured (WPA, WEP) the only problem may be due to traps relating to passphrases.

EXPLANATION

Some wireless systems convert passphrases to hexadecimal, but not every system generates the same hexadecimal key from the same passphrase.

You need to be sure you are entering the same hexadecimal into all the boxes on WEP, not the same passphrase. (Maybe this could also happen for WPA, I'm not sure). So if you always manually enter by hexadecimal key this may overcome your connection problem.

Regards
Ciscus

V2
DPS1-01.05.350 Loader Version 1.0.14.4
DP-Lite F/W DP.Lite 01.07.0002.9E3C Loader Version 1.1.3.1.79

Windows 10
NBN DP-Link iiNet

prl
Wizard God

Re: Networking your Beyonwiz

Post by prl » Sun May 09, 2010 22:22

ciscus wrote:Just as a follow up to users who have a problem with networking/security.

I have learned that you should NOT to use the PassPhrase on the Beyonwiz but enter key 1 manually and DO NOT enable the PassPhrase.

So long as both wireless boxes have the same security protocols configured (WPA, WEP) the only problem may be due to traps relating to passphrases.

EXPLANATION

Some wireless systems convert passphrases to hexadecimal, but not every system generates the same hexadecimal key from the same passphrase.

You need to be sure you are entering the same hexadecimal into all the boxes on WEP, not the same passphrase. (Maybe this could also happen for WPA, I'm not sure). So if you always manually enter by hexadecimal key this may overcome your connection problem.

Regards
As far as I know, hexadecimal keys are only applicable to WEP on the Beyonwiz, and the passphrase only applicable to WPA.

The method of converting the WPA passphrase into a key is part of the WPA standard.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

ciscus
Master

Networking your Beyonwiz

Post by ciscus » Mon May 10, 2010 09:26

Dear Peter,

What you are saying may well be correct, however in two weeks of struggle no-one was able to provide me with a solution.

In fact many forum members advised that they had exactly my problem and that they had not been able to enable wireless networking using their DP-S1.

Dave in his instruction on Setting up Wireless Networking on a DP-S1dated 29 May 2007 states
"Key1: - Set it to EXACTLY the same as the WEP key used on your W-LAN router's W-LAN security settings. Pay attention to which characters are upper and lower case etc.
Note: Spaces in the key's passphrase are likely to cause problems"

which in the end, was exactly as I did to get my system running successfully.

Originally when I read his advice I did not realize the significance of using a passphrase, but clearly this is where the problem lies.

Wish now that I had read it more carefully when he says EXACTLY and not simply used a passphrase, which as you said, should have worked.

Thanks and Regards
Ciscus

V2

Windows 10
NBN DP-Link iiNet

prl
Wizard God

Re: Networking your Beyonwiz

Post by prl » Mon May 10, 2010 11:20

ciscus wrote:Dear Peter,

What you are saying may well be correct, however in two weeks of struggle no-one was able to provide me with a solution.
You appear to have found a solution to a different problem from the one you were asking about. IIRC, your earlier queries were about WPA. You've been able to connect using WEP. Your first post about your success appeared to be confusing the WPA passphrase with the WEP keys. I was trying to clarify that.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

ciscus
Master

Networking your Beyonwiz

Post by ciscus » Mon May 10, 2010 12:01

Thanks Peter,

I guess what I was saying is that the WPA passphrase does not work, which reading between the lines of Dave's instruction on Setting up Wireless Networking on a DP-S1dated 29 May 2007 where he says "Note: Spaces in the key's passphrase are likely to cause problems" pretty much confirms that.

Anyway thanks for all the help, my message was simply addressed to other users who may be experiencing similar problems.

Regards
Ciscus

V2

Windows 10
NBN DP-Link iiNet

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon May 10, 2010 17:44

ciscus wrote:I guess what I was saying is that the WPA passphrase does not work, ...
Well, yes it does as I'm connecting my S1 via WPA/PSK.
... which reading between the lines of Dave's instruction on Setting up Wireless Networking on a DP-S1 dated 29 May 2007 where he says ...
I believe that post only refers to WEP security.
You've also previously said in this thread
In fact many forum members advised that they had exactly my problem and that they had not been able to enable wireless networking using their DP-S1.
I know IanSav has stated he can connect his S1 wirelessly to his Billion router when he chooses.
I have my S1 wirelessly connected to my Billion router using WPA/PSK TKIP (i.e. WPA1).

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Mon May 10, 2010 17:55

However, to ensure most compatibility and no confusion between hex and passkey (as sometimes and in some implementations one or the other or both! are used), I use numbers and only the characters ABCDEF for my wireless keys to ensure that they are hex compat, and if the device complains about the length (128vs256bit keys for hex) tack on some zeros to make it compliant to the 128/256 length. I have never tried a phrase as such, and had no problems connecting the S1 with 2 of my routers, one with WEP and one with WPA (with the same "hex" key in both...).
Regards
Tony

ciscus
Master

Networking your Beyonwiz

Post by ciscus » Mon May 10, 2010 21:12

Hi Guys,

Little misunderstanding - when I was using my Netgear modem/router I also had no problem using the passphrase so I can understand people using other routers like Billion (and others) also NOT having a problem with the passphrase.

My problem occured only after I acquired a Belkin VOIP Modem/Router (BoB) and other forum members told me that they had NEVER got their Belkin networking up.

In Dave's instruction on Setting up Wireless Networking on a DP-S1dated 29 May 2007 he says "Note: Spaces in the key's passphrase are likely to cause problems" which is exactly my experience.

I was merely relaying my experience because I thought it may have been useful to others.

So again, thanks to all for your help.
Ciscus

V2

Windows 10
NBN DP-Link iiNet

ciscus
Master

Networking your Beyonwiz

Post by ciscus » Mon May 10, 2010 21:19

Thanks Tonymy01.

Good comment. I agree with you and would suggest that the Beyonwiz Manual should incorporate your input into their instruction manual (networking) and advisel users to avoid using a passphrases if they are experiencing connection/security problems.

Regards
Ciscus

V2

Windows 10
NBN DP-Link iiNet

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon May 10, 2010 22:38

ciscus wrote:My problem occured only after I acquired a Belkin VOIP Modem/Router (BoB) and other forum members told me that they had NEVER got their Belkin networking up
Well perhaps, but I always thought they were referring to using WPA security, and in this old post, it would appear there was at least someone who got WEP to work betwen their Belkin & S1.
I believe the main reason for people wanting to use WPA is because WEP is pretty inscure. This should also have been achievable for you if you'd stuck a (decent) wireless bridge between the S1's ethernet port and your WPA'ed Belkin (given the S1-Belkin issues).

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon May 10, 2010 22:41

tonymy01 wrote:I have never tried a phrase as such, and ...
My Billion's phrase (and hence S1's phrase, and also that of my D-Link bridge attached to my P2) is four words separated by spaces. However, I don't (yet) stream, and only use wireless for ICE and the occasional WizTV access.

grampus
Wizard

Post by grampus » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:41

Due to all sorts of reasons, I now need to connect my S1 via wireless. Was previously LAN ethernet connected.
So far to no avail.
S1 is running .350 f/w
The router I am attempting to connect to is a Telstra Home gateway. Netcomm 3G9WB
All other devices presented to the router via wireless have connected, and do not fail to stay connected. (PC, IPAD)
The router has >100 free IP addresses.

The steps taken so far.

Initialise the S1
Rescan all services.
Eanbled WLAN
Enabled DHCP
Found the Router by scanning at the SSID entry. So the transmission reception is working.
Network type = Infrastructure
Authentication type = open
Enryption type = WEP
WPAPSK key is greyed out.
Default key = 1
Key 1 = string of digits defined on the base of the router as the WEP PSK. (used by the other devices as the key)
I have hit apply twice and 3 times on a number of iterations through this.
Each time "Updating network settings" pops up.
Then "wireless link down. "
Exit setup, and then renter setup, same result.
Power the S1 down, powered the router down, then power up both still the same result.

Have I missed a hunk of wood for the trees?
Or fallen for a 3 card trick?

Or misread something?
Screen: Panasonic TH-60ST60A; BeyonWiz U4; T3; Panasonic BD-35 Blu_Ray player

glow
Guru

Post by glow » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:55

grampus wrote:Due to all sorts of reasons, I now need to connect my S1 via wireless. Was previously LAN ethernet connected.
So far to no avail.
S1 is running .350 f/w
The router I am attempting to connect to is a Telstra Home gateway. Netcomm 3G9WB
Do you have MAC address filtering enabled on your router?
WiFi antennae screwed on to S1?

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 13:07

So the telstra router is definitely using WEP?? This is a very old and insecure scheme..
Tony

glow
Guru

Post by glow » Sat Mar 05, 2011 13:38

I checked the emulator at http://emulators.netcomm.com.au/3g9wb/index_1.html

You can see the authentication scheme under Wi-Fi > Security and indeed this modem supports WPA-PSK so you should double check which type of authentication you are using.

grampus
Wizard

Post by grampus » Sat Mar 05, 2011 14:01

Thanks all,
Triggered me off into the router, I assumed tooooo much.
The underside of the router said WEP PSK. So I assumed WEP
In the router itself, different story WPA PSK
Encryption TKIP.

Lo 'n behold all worked.
I should have delved a little deeper.

Most other devices that I have attached didn't need this much manual config.
Generally they just shouted at me and asked for the key.

Another small step for me.

glow
Guru

Post by glow » Sat Mar 05, 2011 16:08

grampus, be aware that many people have trouble with streaming when using the DP-S1 with WPA. I had to revert my router to WEP to get file transfers and streaming to work reliably.

grampus
Wizard

Post by grampus » Sat Mar 05, 2011 18:10

glow wrote:grampus, be aware that many people have trouble with streaming when using the DP-S1 with WPA. I had to revert my router to WEP to get file transfers and streaming to work reliably.
Ta.

With a number of other devices using Wi-Fi, seems to me I'll be in for another steep learning cirve.

DanielF

Network sharing

Post by DanielF » Thu May 05, 2011 16:51

I know I'm chiming in a bit late to this thread, but I've only just bought a (second-hand) DP-S1, and after having some difficulty getting the W-LAN networking working, thought I'd add my few cents worth to this very useful thread...

Following the advice in the main post, I had little trouble getting my BW to connect to my router (as evidenced by the 'status' screen showing correct settings). But I couldn't for the life of me get it to connect to my 'media server' (PC).

After searching further through these forums, I found the missing piece of information, and since it is not mentioned in detail in this thread, thought it should be added here so all the information required for playing media through a W-LAN is in the one place.

The missing link was 'Windows Sharing' not being set up. So for other newbies like me, after getting your BW connected to your router (as per the main post), you must then go to the Windows Sharing setup.

Here you provide a user name, password and workgroup name for the PC you're wanting to play media from. These must be valid for login to the source PC, and of course that PC needs to have one or more folders with sharing enabled, as per the Windows sharing dialogue box (on the PC, right-click a folder name and select 'Sharing').

Once you've done that, go to the play menu for network and press the red button to scan the network for shared folders, from which you can then select/play appropriate media files.
Daniel
Living in paradise :-)

Return to “Networking your Beyonwiz DP Series”