Replacement Remote Control (V2)

Moderators: Gully, peteru

mister_bimbo
Master

Replacement Remote Control (V2)

Post by mister_bimbo » Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:01

Hi All,

My new puppy chewed up my V2 remote control a while back (in August) - so I've been keeping an eye on the BW website to see when the replacement controls would be back in stock.

So far, no stock has become available - and its not specific to the V2 remote control: it looks like just about all of the products on the website are out of stock, including the V2.

One option is for a Universal Remote - I like the slim/simple functionality of the standard unit, so is there a universal remote that is close to this (I'm very unlikely to use any of the additional features that a universal remote offers)..?

Alternatively, perhaps someone might know when stock would become available..?

Cheers,

prl
Wizard God

Re: Replacement Remote Control (V2)

Post by prl » Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:12

mister_bimbo wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:01
Alternatively, perhaps someone might know when stock would become available..?

No-one except Jai knows, and he hasn't said anything about the status of the Beyonwiz company for a long time. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

Most Beyonwiz users on the forum who use universal remotes use Logitech Harmony remotes, but Logitech got out of that business a while ago.

A few months ago, MrQuade suggested https://www.sofabaton.com/index.html as a possible alternative to the Logitech remotes, but I haven't investigated further.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14663&p=201915#p201916
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Altimes
Master

Post by Altimes » Sun Dec 10, 2023 07:39

Many years ago we acquired an “all-for-one” remote which had bigger buttons for parental use. The TV was a less common brand and thus not present the the 5 pages of fine print of “enter this code for model….”. By luck we picked a model that had a “custom” capability and they offered a service of “if you model is not present, we can fix that…” service.

The remote had a header in the battery compartment that, I guess, they plugged into and updated the lookup tables. In those days they were based in a northern Sydney suburb and did it on a send it in or while you wait basis.

This was many years ago, but they may be worth investigation if the remote has been totalled. You may have to limit the mapping to the most commonly used buttons to those actually on the replacement remote and use the WebIf interface for the less common ones.

FWIW
Alan.

T4, 4TB
U4, (small SSD)
IceTV EPG
LG OLED65E8PTA
Akai AK5021S6WOS
Sony HT DDWG800
Wired Network via Telstra Max2 - ASUS RT-AX86U, Netgear DGND3700, GS108TV2, WNDR3700
Synology 918+

mister_bimbo
Master

Post by mister_bimbo » Mon Dec 18, 2023 17:50

Thank you gentlemen for the suggestions: its a shame that the BW product is winding down.

I'll check out the alternative suggestion(s) - we had a Logitech remote control a while back, but it thoroughly annoyed me (probably my fault) ... it might still be floating around here somewhere, so I may give that a try and see whether there is support for the BW V2 (seems unlikely if they got out of business).

I do appreciate how supportive this forum has been over the years - always a source of good advice!

Cheers,
David

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Dec 24, 2023 09:20

mister_bimbo wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 17:50
Logitech remote control ... see whether there is support for the BW V2 (seems unlikely if they got out of business).

The V2 is supported by the Logitech Harmony configuration software. And Logitech hasn't gone out of business, it's just got out of the remote control business. I've recently had dealings with Logitech support over problems I'm having with the configuration software for my Harmony remote (with no success).

The Harmony configuration software (or at last the old one I use) is a pain to et right, but when it's all set up I find that the remote works quite well.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Return to “Accessories (USB Tuner, Keyboards, Wifi Dongles)”