U4 Remote dying

Moderators: Gully, peteru

KGL
Master

U4 Remote dying

Post by KGL » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:15

Hi all.

I would like to get some advice regarding remotes for my U4.

I have never really felt the U4 remote that was supplied was well made as it often seemed unresponsive and I sometimes had to press quite hard to make certain buttons work. This is not a battery issue - I have replaced the batteries several times.

Anyway, the back button (left of OK) is now virtually dead. It was working by holding down hard for couple of seconds and then it would respond but now it is almost completely unresponsive.

I cannot see any U4 remotes listed on the BW website, so I assume replacement remotes are not available.

I have been researching the Harmony 650 which seems to have mixed reviews on Productreview.com.au. The main complaint seems to be that it does not last that long. What did encourage me is Carl's review where he describes how he fixed the failing button issue.

If you have a 650 remote operating a U4, are there any buttons from the U4 that are not replicated on the 650? Will for example the number buttons jump forward and backwards in play mode if the U4 is configured to do so?

Any advice from experience is appreciated.

Cheers

Greg

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: U4 Remote dying

Post by MrQuade » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:31

KGL wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:15
If you have a 650 remote operating a U4, are there any buttons from the U4 that are not replicated on the 650? Will for example the number buttons jump forward and backwards in play mode if the U4 is configured to do so?
The Harmony remotes are all software configurable. You can make any button do anything you want. You can even program a long-press to do something entirely different as well, so every button can effectively be configured for two tasks.

Any buttons that you can't map to a function (say "AUDIO" for example), can be mapped onto a software button on the remote's screen. You can have several screens worth of extra commands if needed.

Note that a Beyonwiz T3, or T2/T4 remote will work with a U4 too.

KGL wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:15
I have been researching the Harmony 650 which seems to have mixed reviews on Productreview.com.au. The main complaint seems to be that it does not last that long. What did encourage me is Carl's review where he describes how he fixed the failing button issue.
It also goes through batteries quickly due to being a "smart" control. Get some good quality low-self-discharge Eneloop or Fujitsu rechargeables.

I own two of the hub-based Harmony remotes, which come with a charging cradle, so as long as the remote goes back to its home at night, I have no battery life issues.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

KGL
Master

Post by KGL » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:36

After submitting my previous post I looked at Carl's fix more closely and wondered if I could repair the U4 remote in the same way.

Has anyone disassembled a U4 remote before? There doesn't seem to have any screws, so I am assuming the halves need to be pried apart at the join.

Here is the link to Carl's fix. http://buttonworx.com/?s=ButtonWorx+Ind ... mit=Search

Would this be viable?

Greg

KGL
Master

Post by KGL » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:55

Thanks for your reply MrQuade
Any buttons that you can't map to a function (say "AUDIO" for example), can be mapped onto a software button on the remote's screen. You can have several screens worth of extra commands if needed.
So, if I understand you correctly, the screen is a touch screen that can operate certain functions. I hadn't realised that!.
It also goes through batteries quickly due to being a "smart" control. Get some good quality low-self-discharge Eneloop or Fujitsu rechargeables.
It wasn't so much the life of the batteries that concerned me but the relatively quick failure of the buttons on the Harmony 650 like my U4 remote that concerned me. This seems to be not uncommon.

Cheers

Greg

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:57

They all work on more or less the same principle. That technique or a variant thereof would be fine.

The guts might even just need to be given a wipe and clean.

I'm not sure of the recommended technique for getting into the U4 remote though.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:59

KGL wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:55
So, if I understand you correctly, the screen is a touch screen that can operate certain functions. I hadn't realised that!.
The higher end remotes have a touch screen, but the 650's screen just has physical buttons next to the configurable areas of the screen. Arguably that's a better approach as it helps prevent far finger activation.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Mar 09, 2019 13:55

MrQuade wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:57
I'm not sure of the recommended technique for getting into the U4 remote though.

I don't recall anyone posting about how to open either the U4 remote or the DP series remotes (which are essentially the same, apart from code sets and screenprinting).

It may be worth contacting either Beyonwiz support or Warkus to see if either of them can supply a replacement.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

KGL
Master

Post by KGL » Sat Mar 09, 2019 16:41

OK, I have gone ahead and ordered a 650 remote but I may try to open the old one later. If I can repair it, well and good but if not, then so be it.

Thanks guys.

Greg

Return to “Accessories (USB Tuner, Keyboards, Wifi Dongles)”