Rii i8 +

Moderators: Gully, peteru

sirbagsalot

Rii i8 +

Post by sirbagsalot » Tue Sep 26, 2017 15:16

I've tried using a Rii i8 + wireless keyboard. This: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine-BLUE ... -TV-PC-box
It works with the T4 however when i use it with Opera Web Browser ver.2.0, the touch pad or directional keys don't work. I can access the file menu etc. So it seems to be mouse related operation? I've tried it on the PC and it works fine.
also
In regards to the web browser, is Opera like any other browser like firefox etc? Can you use others?
Can anyone please offer advise? I'm a brand new owner of the T4, and not very tech savvy so fair warning.

Thanks in advance.

PS some searching in the forums didn't throw up any useful info regarding this problem. Sorry if i have missed it somewhere though.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: Rii i8 +

Post by MrQuade » Tue Sep 26, 2017 15:56

Have a read of this thread for some info.

The Opera browser doesn't really understand keyboards....the keyboard is just masquerading as a remote control effectively, so most of it will not work properly.

There is currently no alternative web browser available for the T series. I think the likelyhood of ever having an alternative one is low. The T series don't use a desktop processor or advanced graphics card like you'd normally see on a regular PC, so it is not possible to run a lot of common desktop type software on it.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Sep 26, 2017 16:05

This thread too - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=11055

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Sep 26, 2017 17:10

I just had a bit of a play with a Beyonwiz-sourced wireless Xtreamer Mini Keyboard2, which looks the same as online images of the Rii i8+, apart from the badging on the mousepad, and may be the same OEM underneath.

The arrow keys and OK button on the keyboard work in the browser menu bar (File/Tools/Help) and in the Virtual keyboard when File>Open URL is opened. Once a browser page has opened, the mouse works, and the keyboard works in selected text entry fields, and OK works as "enter" in text entry fields. The mousepad moves the cursor and taps on the mousepad are (at least) left button clicks. The "left mouse button" key also works for me, but the "right mouse button" key doesn't, for example, bring up a context menu, but perhaps that's correct behaviour.

You can also use the arrow keys on the keyboard or remote, and the OK on both to navigate between links in the current browser page and to "click" on the links when they are selected.

This may be a much better state of the Opera browser on the Beyonwizes that was reported in those linked emails.

I have no idea how it will work with other keyboards like the Rii i8+.

It's still a bit of a clunky operation, though.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

sirbagsalot

Post by sirbagsalot » Tue Sep 26, 2017 17:50

Thanks so much for info so far. I will investigate further later tonight i hope.

sirbagsalot

Post by sirbagsalot » Thu Sep 28, 2017 19:40

On further investigating my experience is no mouse pad actions work in any web pages or in the utube screen. Neither does the d-pad but it does in the file menus etc. So bit of a shame, however after realising the limitations of opera i won't use this like i thought i would anyway. Would of been good in utube mind you.

I'm yet to get my head around setting this unit up properly. I don't understand mounting hard drives and time shift isn't clear to me for example but i will tackle this in the appropriate topic.

Thanks everyone for your help.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Sep 28, 2017 19:42

You can still use YouTube on the T series. There is a plugin already built in for that. You can control it manually with the remote or you can also link it to a tablet or smartphone and you can control it from there.

sirbagsalot

Post by sirbagsalot » Thu Sep 28, 2017 19:49

Yes use YouTube i know via plugin.

Link i have done that with google chromecast to my phone or ipad, but haven't investigated how from the T4?

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Sep 28, 2017 20:10

sirbagsalot wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 19:49
Yes use YouTube i know via plugin.

Link i have done that with google chromecast to my phone or ipad, but haven't investigated how from the T4?
The Youtube TV plugin is accessible from the main menu (press MENU from live TV). It's in the second column.
Press LEFT and select the Settings Icon.

From there you can run through the procedure to "Link TV and Phone"

sirbagsalot

Post by sirbagsalot » Thu Sep 28, 2017 20:19

ok thanks, i'll give that a look later. Thanks MrQuade. Off to indoor soccer now.

Return to “Accessories (USB Tuner, Keyboards, Wifi Dongles)”