OverlayHD - Changing both bootlogos

Moderators: Gully, peteru

stevebow
Master

OverlayHD - Changing both bootlogos

Post by stevebow » Mon Aug 12, 2019 17:25

Just noticed in OverlayHD the very handy "Background image" option to change the image displayed as enigma2 loads at /usr/share/backdrop.mvi. Would it be possible to also have an option to change the preceding boot image too please, /user/share/bootlogo.mvi? Save me from having to do it manually. :) I've never been a fan of the original BW boot image at all. :(

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Re: OverlayHD - Changing both bootlogos

Post by IanSav » Mon Aug 12, 2019 18:15

Hi Stevebow ,
stevebow wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 17:25
Just noticed in OverlayHD the very handy "Background image" option to change the image displayed as enigma2 loads at /usr/share/backdrop.mvi. Would it be possible to also have an option to change the preceding boot image too please, /user/share/bootlogo.mvi? Save me from having to do it manually. :) I've never been a fan of the original BW boot image at all. :(
I did not change that screen as I was specifically asked to *not* change it by Jai. As you say it is easy to do.

Regards,
Ian.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Tue Aug 13, 2019 00:45

Those files are owned by the beyonwiz-bootlogo package. If you go and replace package owned files behind the scenes, future integrity of the system software can not be guaranteed. Symptoms can vary anywhere from no apparent ill effect, through the affected files just being replaced on the next update, to partially updated system and failing package updates. Or any other undefined behaviour, like resurrecting all albinos buried in Paris in 1337 or holes appearing in your underwear.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:15

If they exist /etc/enigma2/{bootlogo,backdrop}.mvi will be used instead of /usr/share/{bootlogo,backdrop}.mvi.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:30

Hi Adoxa,
adoxa wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:15
If they exist /etc/enigma2/{bootlogo,backdrop}.mvi will be used instead of /usr/share/{bootlogo,backdrop}.mvi.
Thank you for this reminder. I think I will update OverlayHD to use this mode to substitute *both* logos. I will still keep my promise to not *replace* the master images. ;)

Regards,
Ian.

stephenh
Master

Post by stephenh » Wed Aug 14, 2019 09:19

How does one go about making these .mvi files if one wanted to change the screens and put a bootlogo.mvi or a backdrop.mvi into
the /etc/enigma2 directory?

Googling the .mvi extension doesn't shed much joy ... most references are to it being a "movie command file used by AutoCAD" which doesn't seem to make much sense. I copied off the backdrop.mvi and bootlogo.mvi files but neither Photoshop or Graphics Converter seem to know what they are or what to do with them, on a Mac at least. Are they just another renamed format or is it some weird proprietary format?

Oh, and what are the pixel dimensions of the screens if I ever was able to make them?

Still not sure whether I would bother changing them but Curious Minds Wish To Know :D

StephenH

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:29

stephenh wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 09:19
most references are to it being a "movie command file used by AutoCAD" which doesn't seem to make much sense.
AKAIK, they really are actual movie files in that they can be animated if you want them to. I think the Beyonwiz logo files are just a single frame movie.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:44

stephenh wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 09:19
How does one go about making these .mvi files if one wanted to change the screens and put a bootlogo.mvi or a backdrop.mvi into the /etc/enigma2 directory?
Oh, and what are the pixel dimensions of the screens if I ever was able to make them?
FFmpeg can convert an image to mvi, and I don't think dimensions matter. For example, here's a 640x480 jpeg I just converted: ffmpeg -i YODA.JPG -f mpeg2video yoda.mvi. (This is on my test V2, which has no antenna and the TV can't disable overscan.)
Attachments
screenshot_mvi.jpg
screenshot_mvi.jpg (346.95 KiB) Viewed 4726 times

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Aug 14, 2019 16:57

Hi Stephenh,

The images are built with FFmpeg. I do this on my Windows PC using the following script:

Code: Select all

@Echo OFF
 ffmpeg.exe -v error -y -i "%1.jpg" -r 25 -b:v 20000 "%1.m1v"
 Del "%1.mvi"
 Rename "%1.m1v" "%1.mvi"
I can't find the Enigma2 reference site that gave me the parameters to be used but they work well. You get best results when you are converting pictures that are already in a 16:9 ratio.

Regards,
Ian.

stephenh
Master

Post by stephenh » Wed Aug 14, 2019 16:59

MrQuade wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:29
AKAIK, they really are actual movie files in that they can be animated if you want them to. I think the Beyonwiz logo files are just a single frame movie.

Would have never twigged to them being single-frame video files, good call!
Chucked them into Invisor (a MediaInfo frontend utility for macOS) which managed to mostly make sense of them.
adoxa wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:44
FFmpeg can convert an image to mvi, and I don't think dimensions matter. For example, here's a 640x480 jpeg I just converted: ffmpeg -i YODA.JPG -f mpeg2video yoda.mvi. (This is on my test V2, which has no antenna and the TV can't disable overscan.)

Ok thanks. Who knows - I may have a play if I get really bored or have any bright ideas about what I would like to see instead :D
Looks like the "built-in" ones are 720p files, 1280 X 720 pixels, probably because that's what the default resolution is on bootup I'm guessing. My U4 then switches to its final configured resolution/frame rate (1080p 25 fps 1920 X 1080 in my case, no 4K TV here yet) as the (ugly) "WizOS" screen comes up. So I guess it would make sense to stick to 720p (or at least 16:9 aspect ratio) "movies" as a default starting position, in the absence of a better idea? Smaller files, and they clearly get scaled anyway ...

StephenH

stephenh
Master

Post by stephenh » Wed Aug 14, 2019 17:06

IanSav wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 16:57
The images are built with FFmpeg. I do this on my Windows PC using the following script:

Thanks Ian, very useful.

StephenH

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Aug 14, 2019 17:07

stephenh wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 16:59
Looks like the "built-in" ones are 720p files, 1280 X 720 pixels, probably because that's what the default resolution is on bootup I'm guessing.
It's probably because the whole UI is rendered at 720p internally and then the whole GUI is then scaled to whatever your screen resolution is. Having the images in 720p would minimise the number of times they would need to be scaled, and thus preserve quality.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Aug 14, 2019 17:13

Hi Stephenh,

I should also mention that OverlayHD 1.80 is almost ready to release. It has some code fixes and code optimisations as well as allowing the changing both the boot and background logos.

As I mentioned before, this won't be available to Beyonwiz users until Beyonwiz catches up with other OE-Alliance images.

Regards,
Ian.

stephenh
Master

Post by stephenh » Wed Aug 14, 2019 17:37

IanSav wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 17:13
I should also mention that OverlayHD 1.80 is almost ready to release. It has some code fixes and code optimisations as well as allowing the changing both the boot and background logos.

As I mentioned before, this won't be available to Beyonwiz users until Beyonwiz catches up with other OE-Alliance images.

Thanks, would be useful indeed if it ever got to Beyonwiz firmware.
Have you tested it with multiple-frame mvi files?
Has anyone in the OE-Alliance world bothered to create any nice animated startup images?
If so are there any examples you could point me to/link me to?

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Aug 14, 2019 18:01

stephenh wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 17:37
Has anyone in the OE-Alliance world bothered to create any nice animated startup images?

I'm not sure about "nice", but the OpenViX boot screen is animated with the letters of silver text spelling VIX rotating in the top left. However, I think the animation there is simply the system spinner.
stephenh wrote:

A Google image search for the keywords "openvix bootlogo.mvi" gives you a whole bunch of boot screen screen images (for both ViX and other enigma2 images), though they may not be in .mvi format, and curiously, the first page of Google resultsdoesn't seem to include the current OpenViX splash screen..

The enigma2 splash screen (the "bubble" screen in Beyonwiz images) is displayed by /etc/init.d/bootlogo, and uses /usr/bin/showiframe to display it.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Aug 14, 2019 18:01

stephenh wrote:
I vaguely recall that the very original T3 firmware had multiple frames in the boot logo. Probably fewer than a dozen, and they were all identical frames, so there was no animation as such.

You'd probably have to dig up one of the very first firmware releases before PeterU cleans them all up if you wanted an example ;).

stephenh
Master

Post by stephenh » Wed Aug 14, 2019 18:26

Thanks to all for the info/tips.

I'm struggling to find a justification for bothering to change the images beyond "because I can", but the information is nevertheless useful for those who may follow and absolutely "have" to change them I guess ... :D

StephenH

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Wed Aug 14, 2019 18:42

stephenh wrote:
Have you tested it with multiple-frame mvi files?
It doesn't work, just displays the first frame.
I've modified my binary to allow for two spinners - a fancy startup one (I have Felix the cat pacing up and down on a beach) and then a more discrete one (I have a "negative" version of the normal spinner). Here's the collection of spinners I got it from (extracted directly from 3.0_all, didn't try and make the plugin work).

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Aug 14, 2019 20:15

Hi Stephenh,

The MVI files can not be animated / video sequences. As Adoxa mentioned, only the first image is used. I believe that the point of the .MVI format is to use the hardware movie render engine to load and display the image directly into the video frame buffer. This leaves the CPU free to get on with the job of booting or restarting the system. This arrangement also allows the UI to be displayed over the background image while the video hardware is being readied.

If/When the Beyonwiz developers bring the Beyonwiz firmware up to date I will try to get OverlayHD ready to go ASAP.

Regards,
Ian.

stephenh
Master

Post by stephenh » Thu Aug 15, 2019 08:44

Ah, OK, if they can’t be animated then that limits the possibilities a lot.

StephenH

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:16

I added an on-screen progress display for the T2, which almost turned into animation. I also created a boot progress display (just a bar across the bottom); I had thought of having a bubble go up the screen, but I can't draw for nuts.

stevebow
Master

Post by stevebow » Sat Aug 17, 2019 15:26

adoxa wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:15

That would be preferable, thanks for the tip.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sat Aug 17, 2019 21:02

Hi,

I have also added the ability to change "radio.mvi" into OverlayHD though that functionality is not yet in the code.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Aug 19, 2019 13:39

IanSav wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 21:02
I have also added the ability to change "radio.mvi" into OverlayHD though that functionality is not yet in the code.

I'd always thought that the radio.mvi backdrop looked designed for a 13yo male audience.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Aug 19, 2019 13:56

Hi Stevebow,

By the way, if you do create some custom backgrounds just place them into "/usr/share/enigma2/OverlayHD/backgrounds/" and they will automatically be included for selection in the OverlayHD plugin. The same applies to spinners. You will need to restart the GUI for any additions to be detected and made available for selection.

I have been improving OverlayHD over the weekend and the items you requested are now in OverlayHD version 1.79. If / When Beyonwiz catches up I will make sure to get a Beyonwiz update available ASAP.

Regards,
Ian.

stevebow
Master

Post by stevebow » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:10

Ok, thanks. :)

Return to “Skins”