Recording playback freezes when skipping

Moderators: Gully, peteru

scotty
Master

Recording playback freezes when skipping

Post by scotty » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:06

Hi all,

Since upgrading to 20140708 I have noticed when skipping ahead when watching recordings sometimes (on a fairly regular basis) the video freezes for 5 to 10 seconds and audio continues. It seems to sort itself out after the 5 to 10 seconds, or skipping back then forward again clears it up.

Haven't had this happen prior to this update.

Scotty
T3 - 2TB WD Purple, Logitech Harmony Smart Control
T2 - 60GB Patriot Blaze SSD, Logitech Harmony One
IceTV

NedIS
Master

Re: Recording playback freezes when skipping

Post by NedIS » Fri Jul 18, 2014 19:14

Hi Scotty, yes have noticed same problem! Happens when I press skip a few times then if I press skip while frozen seems to fix!

craigh
Wizard

Post by craigh » Fri Jul 18, 2014 20:19

NedIS wrote:Hi Scotty, yes have noticed same problem! Happens when I press skip a few times then if I press skip while frozen seems to fix!
I think that may be a different issue...

.....every x number of skips the playback stops, skip again and plays again.

This issue has been around for a while and seems the main reason repeat is not enabled on the << and >> keys

the problem above I think may be ......

either pause playback and return to play or skip a few times

and sometimes you get a stall of playback for a number of seconds then it starts again.
Craig
T4 + Kodi + Foxtel IQ2 > Yamaha RX-V2700 > Panasonic Plasma
T2 + Kodi Player > Pioneer Plasma
5 x Kodi + Enigma Plugin > LCD TV's
Retired - S1, P1, P1, FLV1, H1, H1
Foxtel IQ3 > Digi-MOD RL-DM1102 - SD DTV RF Modulator > All TV's
Remotes - Pronto TSU9400's + TSU7500's

blonk
Master

Post by blonk » Fri Jul 18, 2014 21:13

scotty wrote:Hi all,

Since upgrading to 20140708 I have noticed when skipping ahead when watching recordings sometimes (on a fairly regular basis) the video freezes for 5 to 10 seconds and audio continues. It seems to sort itself out after the 5 to 10 seconds, or skipping back then forward again clears it up.

Scotty
Having the same problem when skipping since upgrading.

Blonk

Buffy71
Master

Post by Buffy71 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 22:27

I too have noticed the freezing when skipping since updating to latest firmware. I have also had occasional freezing just during normal playback of a recorded program when not skipping, with the picture and sound just freezing for anywhere from 3 to 10 seconds, before playing again.
This is the problem when you jump straight into the next firmware update, hoping it will improve performance, and it just brings up another issue.
It was so long ago when I first got my DP P1, I can't remember if it was this frustrating or not :?

Buffy71
Master

Post by Buffy71 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 17:40

Any word if this issue will be fixed soon? I have found that every time I watch a recorded program, I get freezing and stuttering when using the skip function which is quite annoying. Was hoping it would be fixed in recent update.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Wed Aug 06, 2014 18:14

It's being looked into right now.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

Buffy71
Master

Post by Buffy71 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 20:04

Great, thanks.

Buffy71
Master

Post by Buffy71 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 20:14

peteru wrote:It's being looked into right now.
Any word on this? Of all the bugs, and let's face it there's been a few, this has been the most annoying for me as I very rarely watch live tv and the freezing is so frequent it really gives me the s%#ts.
Would a download of the latest beta fw provide a fix perhaps?

Buffy71
Master

Post by Buffy71 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 22:10

Ok, so I put the latest public beta firmware on in the hope of fixing the skipping/freezing/fricking annoying bug, but alas, it was to no avail. I pretty much have to stop every recording at least once or twice, exit, then go back in to resume viewing.
If I hadn't had to give the P1 I had on loan from my dad back, I'd seriously consider returning this unit.

It's been over a month since "we are working on it", and I'm more than annoyed as it's not a bug that's been there from the start, but has been introduced through update.
Fix one bloody thing and two more rear their ugly heads!
Really hoping wiz hq is prioritising bug fixes, so that this gets fixed before the guide gets a bloody spruce up!
Rant over.

Can anyone advise when this PITA bug will be fixed?

Crankily,
Jo

tezza007
Wizard

Post by tezza007 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:40

Happens to me every night too, very annoying
Tezza

Beyonwiz T4, 1TB internal WD Green HDD, 4TB USB Portable HDD
Beyonwiz T4, 500GB 2.5" internal HD
LG 500w sound bar
LG 70UF770T LED LCD 4K 70" TV
LG Magic Remote

NedIS
Master

Post by NedIS » Mon Sep 08, 2014 20:15

And me! Seems to mostly occur when watching a recording that is still recording and when recording is 1080!

lkadlec

Post by lkadlec » Mon Oct 06, 2014 21:37

This is happening to me as well where playback will freeze if you are recording something on another channel but it doesn't come back. Left it for hours (10 approx) and didn't start any new timers. The only way to unfreeze so far has been to power off the unit.

Does anyone know if it has it been fixed in the latest firmware?

Buffy71
Master

Post by Buffy71 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 16:13

In my case, I have to eat humble pie. I was adamant the fault was with the unit and was very close to sending it back. What I hadn't stated (as I had ruled it out as a cause) was that I had changed the HDD. I had bought the unit with 4tb, but quickly realised that I didn't need one that big, so I swapped it out with a 1tb HDD (same brand/model). This second hdd had been working perfectly until third or so update, so I assumed (and you know what they say about that!) that it couldn't be the hdd and must be the unit.
So I put the original 4tb hdd back in, thinking if I need to return this, I'd better put the original back in, and voilà, all the stuttering/jittering/freezing stopped.
D'oh!
I thought I'd post this so that anyone else with same or similar issue might consider hdd as cause.

jimmers
Apprentice

Post by jimmers » Sun Oct 12, 2014 21:35

Buffy71 wrote: So I put the original 4tb hdd back in, thinking if I need to return this, I'd better put the original back in, and voilà, all the stuttering/jittering/freezing stopped.
D'oh!
I thought I'd post this so that anyone else with same or similar issue might consider hdd as cause.

Do you really think everyone else with this problem might be in the same situation?
:shock:

Buffy71
Master

Post by Buffy71 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 07:49

jimmers wrote:
Buffy71 wrote: So I put the original 4tb hdd back in, thinking if I need to return this, I'd better put the original back in, and voilà, all the stuttering/jittering/freezing stopped.
D'oh!

Do you really think everyone else with this problem might be in the same situation?
:shock:
No. That's why I said anyone, not everyone.
Quite a few forum members have purchased bare bones units, and may have added a HDD. I was just noting that this was what solved a frustration for me, and that it may help someone else, not everyone else. I don't see the point of your comment.

blonk
Master

Post by blonk » Mon Oct 13, 2014 08:11

I have a barebones unit, and mine pauses at times when skipping, although this was introduced by a firmware update. Can't remember which one, but it was a while ago. Previous to that it skipped flawlessly.

Blonk

grampus
Wizard

Post by grampus » Mon Oct 13, 2014 08:53

At his moment, mine crashes fairly consistently using the right arrow an the rocker.
Screen: Panasonic TH-60ST60A; BeyonWiz U4; T3; Panasonic BD-35 Blu_Ray player

Fester1952
Master

Post by Fester1952 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 08:57

I have noticed that the T3 skip isn't as smooth as my Humax. I have set forward skip at 60s on both the T3 and the Humax. The Humax I press the skip button usually 3 times in rapid succession to get through most ads and it takes me immediately to +3mins, if I do that on the T3 I do get a bit of stuttering when I do the same rapid skip.

Synology NAS DS212+
Asus RT-AC5300 Router
Beyonwiz T3 2TB, Beyonwiz T4 4TB, Humax HDR 7500 1TB
Logitech Harmony Ultimate
Samsung 55 inch UA55D8000 Series 8 LED Full HD 3D TV

Sir Lancelot
Master

Post by Sir Lancelot » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:09

Yes, I too get the pauses whilst skipping. I agree with blonk it never used too pause, but this happened after an update.

Regards
Lance

Buffy71
Master

Post by Buffy71 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 17:49

Sir Lancelot wrote:Yes, I too get the pauses whilst skipping. I agree with blonk it never used too pause, but this happened after an update.

Regards
Lance
blonk wrote:I have a barebones unit, and mine pauses at times when skipping, although this was introduced by a firmware update. Can't remember which one, but it was a while ago. Previous to that it skipped flawlessly.

Blonk
This is why I posted previously, as my unit had also worked flawlessly for a couple of months with the HDD that I had put in it. The pausing/freezing when skipping definitely started with a firmware update, and I was adamant that the firmware was the cause, but when I changed the HDD, it was fixed. Just saying :?

Sir Lancelot
Master

Post by Sir Lancelot » Tue Oct 14, 2014 07:18

My T3 is not a bare bones unit. It came with the drive already installed. So that could not be the problem.

Regards
Lance

Buffy71
Master

Post by Buffy71 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 19:48

Sir Lancelot wrote:My T3 is not a bare bones unit. It came with the drive already installed. So that could not be the problem.

Regards
Lance
You're missing my point. If you read my posts you'll see that my issue of freezing/stuttering was introduced with a firmware update. I was adamant that the drive could not be the issue as it had worked perfectly prior to the update. So, unless you've swapped your drive out, and the issue remained, you can't be sure that it's not the drive.

Krusty
Master

Post by Krusty » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:24

Sir Lancelot wrote:Yes, I too get the pauses whilst skipping. I agree with blonk it never used too pause, but this happened after an update.

Regards
Lance
Same here & I also can confirm it didn't do this before, probably been happening for maybe two months. I learned to live with it & just skip again & it is okay! :wink:

blonk
Master

Post by blonk » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:54

Buffy71 wrote:
Sir Lancelot wrote:My T3 is not a bare bones unit. It came with the drive already installed. So that could not be the problem.

Regards
Lance
You're missing my point. If you read my posts you'll see that my issue of freezing/stuttering was introduced with a firmware update. I was adamant that the drive could not be the issue as it had worked perfectly prior to the update. So, unless you've swapped your drive out, and the issue remained, you can't be sure that it's not the drive.
Maybe the drive you swapped it with is just more compatible with the current firmware? Drivers changed or added or similar. Maybe swapping the drive will fix it, but in all seriousness I'm not going to change my drive just to check, sorry. It's painful enough trying to find a damn USB stick that works with this thing for firmware upgrades! I had one that worked, updated front panel as suggested, bingo it no longer works!

Blonk

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:21

blonk wrote:I had one [USB stick] that worked, updated front panel as suggested, bingo it no longer works!
That's just a random coincidence. The front panel firmware or electronics have absolutely no effect on the USB port.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

blonk
Master

Post by blonk » Sat Oct 18, 2014 13:39

peteru wrote:
blonk wrote:I had one [USB stick] that worked, updated front panel as suggested, bingo it no longer works!
That's just a random coincidence. The front panel firmware or electronics have absolutely no effect on the USB port.
Maybe it was the boot loader, can't remember, my point is the T3 seems to be fussy about the peripherals used with it. USB sticks, USB tuner, drives, remote controls.

Blonk

Buffy71
Master

Post by Buffy71 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 14:35

blonk wrote: Maybe the drive you swapped it with is just more compatible with the current firmware? Drivers changed or added or similar. Maybe swapping the drive will fix it, but in all seriousness I'm not going to change my drive just to check, sorry. It's painful enough trying to find a damn USB stick that works with this thing for firmware upgrades! I had one that worked, updated front panel as suggested, bingo it no longer works!
Blonk
Drive that came with unit was Western Digital green 4tb, one I swapped to was exactly same specs except 1tb. I only swapped back to original as I was going to return the unit, as the skipping and stuttering was so annoying I couldn stand it. If you're willing to put up with it, then certainly don't bother to swap drives.

kiwirich

Post by kiwirich » Tue Nov 11, 2014 18:16

scotty wrote:Hi all,

Scotty
I recently purchased the t3 and also experience this bug. Just checking in to see if there is any news on an upcoming firmware fix or a workaround of any sort? Cheers.
Beyonwiz T3 500GB PVR
Sony KDL-46HX853 46" TV
Denon AVR-X2000 AV Receiver
Synology Diskstation DS212 NAS

kiwirich

Post by kiwirich » Wed Nov 12, 2014 07:02

I've just installed the latest beta beyonwiz-4.3-beyonwizt3-20141103 after reading that it fixes the issue and am happy to report it does. Thanks!
Beyonwiz T3 500GB PVR
Sony KDL-46HX853 46" TV
Denon AVR-X2000 AV Receiver
Synology Diskstation DS212 NAS

Sir Lancelot
Master

Post by Sir Lancelot » Thu Nov 13, 2014 07:23

Hi All

I installed the update 20141103 and I find that frequently the 'freeze when skipping' still occurs. Problem definitely not fixed for me.

Regards
Lance

grampus
Wizard

Post by grampus » Sun Dec 07, 2014 09:40

Still fails on current. 28/11/2014 USB upgrade. plus online upgrade 2014-12-02
Screen: Panasonic TH-60ST60A; BeyonWiz U4; T3; Panasonic BD-35 Blu_Ray player

Return to “Bug Reporting and Feature Requests”