Errno 5

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Jezz006
Apprentice

Errno 5

Post by Jezz006 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:34

When I try to transfer recordings from my T2 Hard drive to a 30Gb USB stick [formatted as Fat 32] in the front USB port, I now get a message'

[Errno 5] Input/Output error:"media/usb/20220611 2013 - SBS ONE HD - Grand Tours of Scotland's Rivers.ts.sc"

I've tried a Factory Reset and it worked the first time this happened but now it seems to default to this error message each time.

Also the third tuner [USB connection at back of the unit] has stopped being recognized by the system.

Any suggestions how to resolve this would be appreciated as I am running out of Hard Drive space.

Yours in Appreciation,

Jesper Hansen
Jesper Hansen

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: Errno 5

Post by MrQuade » Thu Jun 23, 2022 13:47

Jezz006 wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:34
When I try to transfer recordings from my T2 Hard drive to a 30Gb USB stick [formatted as Fat 32] in the front USB port, I now get a message'

[Errno 5] Input/Output error:"media/usb/20220611 2013 - SBS ONE HD - Grand Tours of Scotland's Rivers.ts.sc"
It is encountering an error when writing that particular file. The file is a small one, so there shouldn't be anything about it on its own that would be problematic for a FAT32 drive.

You can "only" fit about 2500 recordings into a single directory on a FAT32 formatted disk. Seeing as this is only a 30GB disk though, it seems unlikely that you would have that many files.

The USB disk isn't simply full it it?

Is it always the same file that it gets stuck on? What happens if you just don't copy that one recording?

Have you tried a different USB drive? You can have it formatted as NTFS or FAT32 if you want.
Jezz006 wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:34
Also the third tuner [USB connection at back of the unit] has stopped being recognized by the system.
How long has that been happening?
Does just rebooting the T2 fix the problem? (The USB tuner should never be unplugged while the T2 is running, so if you ever removed it so you could plug in your USB stick, then the USB tuner would not work again until you reboot).

Have you tried plugging the USB tuner into a PC to see if it is detected there?
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Jezz006
Apprentice

Post by Jezz006 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 17:39

Thanks very much for your quick reply.

I turned the unit off and removed the USB Tuner, which was then recognized on my PC.

I then turned the T2 back on without the Tuner and after it rebooted inserted a 60Gb USB stick in the front slot [ formatted NTFS ] and "Hey Presto" File transfers were working again, albeit from a different folder to the one I was getting the error from.

Will try it again with the 30 Gb stick [ which was empty and newly formatted ] and the original problem file tomorrow.
Will also turn the unit off and try and reinstall the USB Tuner at the back of the unit.

Just as a matter of interest is there any way of seeing the progress of file transfers.
At present I just allow at least a couple of hours to transfer up to 50Gb as I don't have any visual cue to how long it will take.

Yours in Appreciation,

Jesper
Jesper Hansen

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Jun 23, 2022 17:44

MrQuade wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 13:47
The USB disk isn't simply full it it?

Trying to write to a full disk should generate error 28, ENOSPC (No space left on device), not error 5 EIO (I/O error).
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Thu Jun 23, 2022 18:11

Jezz006 wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 17:39
Just as a matter of interest is there any way of seeing the progress of file transfers.
Press BLUE in live TV (or watching a recording), that will show the progress at the time you pressed it (you could click on the entry for realtime updates).

Jezz006
Apprentice

Post by Jezz006 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:59

Thanks for your replies and the handy directive to use the blue button to check on file transfers.

The situation now is when I plug in the third tuner in the back USB slot, the system no longer recognizes a USB stick inserted in the front slot.

When I disconnect the Third tuner and reboot, the USB front slot becomes active again.

Initially when I installed the USB Tuner both USB slots were working together, and I could use three tuners and transfer files via the front USB slot.
Is there something I need to do in the software settings to fix this?

Yours in Appreciation,

Jesper Hansen
Jesper Hansen

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Jun 28, 2022 14:43

Jezz006 wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:59
Initially when I installed the USB Tuner both USB slots were working together, and I could use three tuners and transfer files via the front USB slot.
Is there something I need to do in the software settings to fix this?
Are you using a powered USB bub to run the three tuners?
If not, your Wiz might be running short on USB power delivery capacity.

Jezz006
Apprentice

Post by Jezz006 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 16:19

Thanks for your reply.

Two of the tuners are within the T2 unit as purchased and the third is connected via USB in the back of the unit.

Makes sense that there may not be enough power, though initially the unit could handle it.
Would this be the cause of the I/O error I wonder?

Yours in Appreciation,

Jesper Hansen
Jesper Hansen

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Jun 28, 2022 16:58

Jezz006 wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 16:19
Two of the tuners are within the T2 unit as purchased and the third is connected via USB in the back of the unit.
Oh right sorry. For some reason. your post made it sound to me like you had three USB tuners plugged in.

Something isn't right then. The T2 won't have any power trouble with two USB devices plugged in normally.

It's hard to tell what the issue might be. It could still be a hardware problem of some sort. Something that is causing the USB ports to disconnect, or not be able to deliver sufficient power to devices.

It might also be something in software. If somehow, the drivers or configuration files were corrupted, the T2 might malfunction in weird ways.

If you can telnet/ssh into the T2, then you can check the /var/log/messages file for any suspicious looking log entries.
Also, the output from the "dmesg" command can show some extra info.

One way to rule out software would be to perform a fresh firmware install from USB.
Back up your settings before doing a USB firmware install.
After installation, don't restore your old settings at first.
If it all starts working correctly, then you can really start to suspect the software.
Try restoring your old settings.
If it keeps working properly, then it was bad software. if it stops working at this point, then it was something in the config/settings. (though i can't think what might cause it)

If none of that works, then it is likely hardware.
Potentially the tuner is faulty, or the T2 is faulty.

Jezz006
Apprentice

Post by Jezz006 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 13:20

Thanks for your comprehensive and clear reply.

I'll start going through the elimination procedures starting with the latest firmware update.
I suspect there is something amiss with the reading of the front USB drive, but we'll see.

Yours in Appreciation,

Jesper Hansen
Jesper Hansen

Return to “Bug Reporting and Feature Requests”