Recording on one service interferes with other services

Moderators: Gully, peteru

aidianshide
Apprentice

Recording on one service interferes with other services

Post by aidianshide » Sat Dec 11, 2021 23:14

I have a T2 with a USB harddrive attached, together with a USB stick tuner (giving me 3 tuners in all).
I have found that while recording on one service (e.g. on one ABC channel) I can re-tune the program I'm watching to another channel within that service (i.e., to another ABC channel), but the channels from other services (SBS, Nine, Ten &c.) fail to show. If I stop and delete the recording, I can then access all channels on all services again. If I have a timer set to record on one service (e.g. an ABC channel)), and another to record on a different service (say, SBS) a little later, both recordings show up in the list of recordings, but the later one has no duration and no content recorded.

Any suggestions?

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: Recording on one service interferes with other services

Post by MrQuade » Sun Dec 12, 2021 00:34

aidianshide wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 23:14
Any suggestions?
Your second tuner isn't receiving any signal.

Have you connected the input to the second tuner into the output from the first tuner? Or are you feeding the antenna separately into the second tuner (using a splitter)?
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

aidianshide
Apprentice

Post by aidianshide » Sun Dec 12, 2021 17:54

Have you connected the input to the second tuner into the output from the first tuner? Or are you feeding the antenna separately into the second tuner (using a splitter)?
The aerial goes into one tuner; the output from that (vertically below the input) is connected to the input of a second tuner; the USB tuner stick is attached to the second output, and plugged into the rear USB socket.
Your second tuner isn't receiving any signal.
At the moment I'm recording from an ABC channel, and if I tune to an SBS channel I get a badly jumbled signal (last night there was nothing at all).

What would be the best settings to use in the tuner configuration?

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sun Dec 12, 2021 18:05

aidianshide wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 17:54
What would be the best settings to use in the tuner configuration?
So the signal coming out of the back of Tuner A is possibly no good.

You will need to do some testing to figure out what is going wrong here.

You can try plugging the antenna directly into Tuner B, and then set your preferred tuner (in the settings) to be Tuner B.
(change channel after that to make sure that Tuner B is actually being used).

That way, you can check if the Tuner B is broken, or the output from Tuner A is at fault.

aidianshide
Apprentice

Post by aidianshide » Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:55

I've tried as many permutations as I could, none of which have fixed the problem, and as far as I can determine neither Tuner A nor Tuner B is faulty. The problem remains that when a recording is started in one service, access to all other services is blocked until either the recording is (manually) stopped, or the box is switched off (or into standby) and on again.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Dec 20, 2021 14:00

What you're describing is definitely not normal behaviour of a T2.

Here's a screenshot of my test T2 running 20211010 firmware, recording SBS ONE and showing ABC TV live:

Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 14.52.36.png
You can see the live channel is ABC TV, and in the red recording information above the live program time running bar, you can see that it's recording SBS ONE.

The tuner activity indicators over on the right-hand end of the infobar show a red "A" to indicate that tuner A is being used for a recording and a green "B" showing that tuner "B" is being used for live TV.
aidianshide wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:55
[A]s far as I can determine neither Tuner A nor Tuner B is faulty.

Can you describe in detail how you determined that neither tuner is faulty?
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon Dec 20, 2021 15:52

aidianshide wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:55
I've tried as many permutations as I could, none of which have fixed the problem, and as far as I can determine neither Tuner A nor Tuner B is faulty.

What about tuner C (USB tuner)?

What is reported in the "tuners" section for http://beyonwizt2/api/deviceinfo

In MENU>>Setup>>Tuners>>Tuner configuration, are all tuners enabled?

Check the antenna cabling and connections - antenna input to Tuner A IN, passthrough cable from Tuner A OUT to Tuner B IN, IEC/MCX pigtail from Tuner B OUT to USB tuner (plus of course USB tuner connected to USB port).

Did you use MENU>>Setup>>Tuners>>Tuner allocation to test each individual tuner, zapping to a _new_ broadcaster after each change?
Did the appropriate tuner indicator in the Infobar light up green?

aidianshide
Apprentice

Post by aidianshide » Mon Jan 03, 2022 22:00

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. I spent a couple of hours last night trying to establish what worked and what didn't. This included following MrQuade's suggestion
try plugging the antenna directly into Tuner B, and then set your preferred tuner (in the settings) to be Tuner B. (change channel after that to make sure that Tuner B is actually being used).
again, and this did confirm that both tuners A and B are working; however, the little USB stick, my former Tuner C, seems to have given up the ghost, so I decided to remove it altogether.

Tonight I tried testing the recording once more, and found that the fault I originally reported seems to have cured itself. I can record from either ABC or SBS without it interfering with the reception of either service; I can even do two simultaneous recordings without problem. I don't know if the problem was due to the faulty SBC stick, or whether the cabling connections are now more secure after several changes of configuration - anyway, thanks again for your advice.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Jan 03, 2022 22:03

aidianshide wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 22:00
Tonight I tried testing the recording once more, and found that the fault I originally reported seems to have cured itself. I can record from either ABC or SBS without it interfering with the reception of either service; I can even do two simultaneous recordings without problem. I don't know if the problem was due to the faulty SBC stick, or whether the cabling connections are now more secure after several changes of configuration - anyway, thanks again for your advice.
It is likely that when you were seeing the bad picture, it was because the Wiz was truing to feed the live picture from the faulty USB tuner then.

That was basically what my testing steps were intended to identify....if the other tuners (B or C) were consistently at fault.

Return to “Bug Reporting and Feature Requests”