T4 blank TV screen after power loss

Moderators: Gully, peteru

BradJ
Apprentice

T4 blank TV screen after power loss

Post by BradJ » Thu Oct 07, 2021 20:30

I’ve noticed this after upgrading to 19.3.

I upgraded as per instructions, a full USB install and completely re-did the settings.
I hadn’t seen this issue prior to that.

On power loss there is no output on my tv.
To restore video I use the remote to navigate to MENU - CHANNELS - TERRESTRIAL TV LCN.
First time it happened I used the WebIF to try different things.

It doesn’t happen if I restart GUI, reboot it shutdown and the power toggle.
Has only happened when there has been a power loss. 3 times in the 2 months since I upgraded the firmware.

TV is connected via HDMI.

When it happened today I also had no guide data displayed (ice tv). For hours. A restart GUI resolved that.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: T4 blank TV screen after power loss

Post by MrQuade » Fri Oct 08, 2021 00:49

BradJ wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 20:30
From what version?

BradJ wrote:
TV is connected via HDMI.
There was an update to the way the T4 negotiates HDMI connections. It's possible that a power-off situation and gear coming back on in an uncontrolled sequence causes the handshake to fail now.
BradJ wrote:
To restore video I use the remote to navigate to MENU - CHANNELS - TERRESTRIAL TV LCN.
PPressing TVOut should work too.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:48

MrQuade wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 00:49
BradJ wrote:
From what version?

And to what version?
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:50

MrQuade wrote:
BradJ wrote:
PPressing TVOut should work too.

There's no TV-OUT button on the T4 (or T2 or T3) remote. It's only on the U4 and V2 remotes.

Given that Bradj "restored video" using the favourites screens, I wonder whether the T4 hadn't somehow been switched to HDMI IN as its current channel. Given that the problem persists, perhaps HDMI IN has somehow been set as the startup service.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

BradJ
Apprentice

Post by BradJ » Sun Oct 31, 2021 07:29

prl wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:48
MrQuade wrote:
BradJ wrote:
From what version?

And to what version?
Sorry for the late response.

I’m sorry but I can’t recall what version I was on but it was probably the most recent non beta as I like to keep it up to date.
But I read that I had to reflash using usb because of the jump to 19.3.
And it was to this version beyonwiz-19.3-beyonwizt4-20191106_usb.

BradJ
Apprentice

Post by BradJ » Sun Oct 31, 2021 07:33

prl wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:50

There's no TV-OUT button on the T4 (or T2 or T3) remote. It's only on the U4 and V2 remotes.

Given that Bradj "restored video" using the favourites screens, I wonder whether the T4 hadn't somehow been switched to HDMI IN as its current channel. Given that the problem persists, perhaps HDMI IN has somehow been set as the startup service.
No UI came up at all. If it was on HDMI in I still would have been able to access the menu system, etc.
This was no signal out the hdmi.

What can I provide to assist? It’s 100% recreatable.

BradJ
Apprentice

Post by BradJ » Sun Oct 31, 2021 07:39

Looks like I should install the latest beta. I was wanting to stay off beta’s cos I didn’t want to risk picking up a nasty bug that might sneak through but I can see Beyonwiz is really slow promoting betas.
Maybe it’s resolved already.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:59

I doubt that switching to the current beta would help, unless the firmware has been corrupted. Re-installing your current firmware from USB would be enough to fix any possible firmware corruption problem. Remember to do a settings backup just before you reinstall.

Have you checked whether the HDMI IN "channel" in the Terrestrial TV LCN bouquet isn't set to be used as the startup service? Once you're getting normal video, press FAV from live TV, if Terrestrial TV LCN isn't your current bouquet (see top left of the screen) press FAV again and select Terrestrial TV LCN. Then move the blue focus bar to the HDMI IN entry, and press MENU. If the second menu item is "Stop using as startup service", then HDMI IN is set as the startup service. If it is, select that in the menu, and HDMI IN will no longer be set as the startup service.

You'd said "To restore video I use the remote to navigate to MENU - CHANNELS - TERRESTRIAL TV LCN", and I'd assumed that that meant that you could see the GUI overlay when you did that. Is that not the case: do you do that just using the front panel, with the TV screen remaining blank?

As a simpler workaround, does FAV, select channel, OK also work in place of doing MENU>Channels>Terrestrial TV LCN, select channel, OK?

I don't think "slow promoting betas" really describes the fact that there hasn't been an official release for nearly two years. There have been a lot of improvements and bug fixes in the meantime. Though I don't think it would help fix your problem, updating to the current 20211010 beta release candidate may be worth doing anyway, just to get the improvements that have been made in the past two years. That firmware was released about 3 weeks ago, and there have not been any serious problems reported with it.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Return to “Bug Reporting and Feature Requests”