Add a user-visible changelog

Moderators: Gully, peteru

gtwundke
Apprentice

Add a user-visible changelog

Post by gtwundke » Fri Sep 03, 2021 18:32

It would be super helpful to add some type of changelog that is made available to users (i.e. within the GUI) when an update occurs. I don't think it needs to be actively shown to users when an update occurs, but rather can just be accessed from the menu. Or perhaps a 10-second dialog is shown after an update that points users to where to find the changelog.

In terms of collating the changes, I think they should be documented whenever new code is committed to the master branch, as in my experience trying to do it just before a release becomes too hard and things get rushed (the entries in the file are minimal and not very helpful), or missed altogether.

My solution to this for my work projects is that each application has a ReleaseNotes.txt file with an unfilled-in release header (e.g. "Release %version% - %date%"), under which I just add a new entry just before a branch is merged back into master, describing the change in a way that makes sense to a user (i.e. not just to me as a developer -- see below for more on this). Then, during a release, the version number and date are updated, the file is committed to the releases branch, then a new unfilled-in release header is added, ready for the new changes. This is done automatically, but it's not a big deal to do it manually either. We obviously don't have a "releases" branch (which, I mean, why not?), but just copying the updated file to whatever packages up the release will work just as well.

This file can simply be displayed to the user, giving them the entire history of changes (rather than only providing the changes since the last update).

I also think that only user-visible changes need to be included (e.g. new/updated configuration parameters or functionality of screens), as purely under-the-hood changes just clutter things up and don't help the user. They should also contain enough detail that the user is clear on how they can use the new feature or how it affects them (by adding the entries when they're developed, this becomes a lot easier!).

Note that there is definitely a bit of an art to describing things from a user's point of view, especially when developers can be so intimately familiar with things that aren't entirely obvious to a "normal" user. As an example, there's a post in this forum about the "Single EPG", and I honestly don't know what that is, or how to view it. Maybe I already use it and am just not familiar with what it's called (the manual doesn't refer to anything using that term)? There seem to be a few terms that are used in the code that aren't used in the manual, or are at least somewhat confusing enough that I struggle to map them to the actual function on the box. I'm willing to accept that this may be a "me" problem, but I suspect others struggle too. In the changelog, it could be helpful to always include the button presses required to invoke the function being talked about (especially in terms of config options actually... just randomly include a config name without telling a user how to find that option isn't overly useful).

It's currently very hard to know what's changing between beta updates (and hence what we as users should be looking out for when an update happens), and it's going to be even harder for those not on the beta to know what's changed when a new production release happens -- although I admit that putting in all of the changes that have occurred since the last production update may be too hard, and so this is probably only something to add post the next release.

Note that for a production release, perhaps it would be worth adding a new entry to the file that collates all of the major changes, making it easier for the user to see the big changes that may affect them, but they can also scroll through to see all of the individual updates if the wish.

Thoughts?

Sorry that this has turned into a bit of a saga, but it kinda hits a few pain points that I have with the current system. I also wanted to provide an easy-ish way to implement it, rather than just complaining :wink:.
U4 500GB (beta update feed, OverlayHD)
Synology DS918+
Pioneer SC-LX73 Receiver
Samsung PS50C7000 50" Plasma
Logitech Harmony Elite

prl
Wizard God

Re: Add a user-visible changelog

Post by prl » Fri Sep 03, 2021 18:59

I've attempted to do that in the past in the form of forum posts, but it's quite hard. You're welcome to try.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Fri Sep 03, 2021 19:07

It's already there. Use File Commander to view /etc/e2-git.log to see changes to enigma2 and /etc/oe-git.log to see changes to the underlying operating system.

A few users tried to roll together user friendly changelogs in the past, but it's in the too hard basket. At the end of the day, PVR users don't care much past "use the new one, it's better than the last one". Those who do care seem to participate in the forums often enough to be on top of it.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

gtwundke
Apprentice

Post by gtwundke » Fri Sep 03, 2021 19:09

prl wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 18:59
I've attempted to do that in the past in the form of forum posts, but it's quite hard. You're welcome to try.

Yeah, but that's exactly the problem, it was being done at the point of release, rather than as a part of the development process itself. Anyone who commits code to the repository should be responsible for updating the changelog at the point of commit. In that way, the load is spread across multiple people, and is made easier.

I'm guessing that you perhaps skimmed my message (somewhat understandable if you did), but I thought I was pretty clear about how it could work with the minimum of effort from everyone involved. If it needs more explanation, I'm happy to provide it!
Synology DS918+
Pioneer SC-LX73 Receiver
Logitech Harmony Elite

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Fri Sep 03, 2021 19:26

gtwundke wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 19:09
but that's exactly the problem, it was being done at the point of release, rather than as a part of the development process itself.
I'm guessing that you perhaps skimmed my message

I think your suggestion was understood, but it is not feasible given the development model in use.

You will actually find that of all the forks of enigma2 out there, the Beyonwiz repo has the best quality commit logs by far. My insistence on better quality commits has caused a lot of friction with at least one contributor in the past. He has now decided to contribute in other forks of enigma2, where it is easier to get almost any commit accepted and contributions are often reverted because they break things. Most commits in those other forks of enigma2 come with lacking comments. Same applies to oe-a commits for the underlying operating system distro.

If you want to maintain a more user friendly changelog, you are welcome to fork the repo, create a change log file and submit a pull request whenever you update this file. The user friendly changelog can be added to the firmware build and later down the track someone may even build a simple change log viewer plugin. Until then, the contents of the file can be posted to the forum thread that announces each new (beta) release.

Blog.

gtwundke
Apprentice

Post by gtwundke » Fri Sep 03, 2021 19:32

peteru wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 19:07
It's already there. Use File Commander to view /etc/e2-git.log to see changes to enigma2 and /etc/oe-git.log to see changes to the underlying operating system.

A few users tried to roll together user friendly changelogs in the past, but it's in the too hard basket. At the end of the day, PVR users don't care much past "use the new one, it's better than the last one". Those who do care seem to participate in the forums often enough to be on top of it.

I guess this really hits my "pain point" button(s).

Fine, the raw git log is there, except of course that it's completely non-obvious, and as I said in the first post, next to useless (as most git comments are in terms of being user-friendly... no shade being thrown, I do it myself, on the expectation that they're there for developers, not users). It also doesn't help when updates are missed, as I'm guessing it only contains the changes for that release.

My biggest pain point for beyonwiz is that it there really seems to be a lack of focus on being user friendly (I'm being overly general here for effect, and realise that there is some effort, just not enough in my opinion for a general-purpose device that's in no way marketed as being for technical users).

I also understand that there are very few developers, and I'm assuming that most are volunteers at that, but that's why I think that what I suggested as a solution is pretty easy to implement, and most importantly spreads the load!. It honestly takes a couple of minutes (if that) to come up with a quick summary of an individual change that's relevant for a user (having written many of these things myself).

To me, saying "PVR users don't care much" is inherently part of the problem. As developers for a general-use device, enabling a user to easily see "oh, look at this new functionality, that would make my life much easier; let me try it out" seems like a no-brainer.

As a developer, I understand the reluctance to take this on, I really do. But as a user of the device, it frustrates me no end that to keep up-to-date I have to be a full-time reader of the forum, and even then it's essentially impossible to know what's changed.
Synology DS918+
Pioneer SC-LX73 Receiver
Logitech Harmony Elite

gtwundke
Apprentice

Post by gtwundke » Fri Sep 03, 2021 19:43

peteru wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 19:26
I think your suggestion was understood, but it is not feasible given the development model in use.

I actually think that it's far easier for you guys than most open source repositories. You have limited users making changes, and in general there isn't much time pressure in terms of merging changes.

The biggest issue is pulling in changes from upstream, but I think that you're currently cherry-picking those anyway, so it's probably easier than just doing a full merge. I also think you can probably be far more lenient about describing any of those changes, as you didn't develop them.

peteru wrote:
You will actually find that of all the forks of enigma2 out there, the Beyonwiz repo has the best quality commit logs by far. My insistence on better quality commits has caused a lot of friction with at least one contributor in the past. He has now decided to contribute in other forks of enigma2, where it is easier to get almost any commit accepted and contributions are often reverted because they break things. Most commits in those other forks of enigma2 come with lacking comments. Same applies to oe-a commits for the underlying operating system distro.

Yeah, I realise that there will always be those that dissent when people are volunteers, and sometimes you just have to work around them. But I get the feeling that you, prl and adoxa (the main developers) are conscientious enough that this wouldn't be a big imposition.

peteru wrote:
If you want to maintain a more user friendly changelog, you are welcome to fork the repo, create a change log file and submit a pull request whenever you update this file. The user friendly changelog can be added to the firmware build and later down the track someone may even build a simple change log viewer plugin. Until then, the contents of the file can be posted to the forum thread that announces each new (beta) release.

Again, it just doesn't work that way. Someone who isn't intimately familiar with the change can't easily write a comment that's useful without putting in a lot of work to fully understand what the change involves. It just won't get done (certainly not by me... but you can bet that any other changes that I make to the code would add the required documentation).

If my "simple" fix that spreads the load between motivated developers hasn't in any way convinced you then there's not much else that I can do. Again, I get it, but it leaves me disappointed, that's all.
Synology DS918+
Pioneer SC-LX73 Receiver
Logitech Harmony Elite

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Sep 03, 2021 21:09

Part of the problem is that the Beyonwiz firmware sits in a code environment that is much bigger than the just the Beyonwiz code repository.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sat Sep 04, 2021 00:19

I'm not opposed to your idea. I think it makes a lot of sense. However, I am sceptical about it actually working in practice. I certainly don't want to make it a policy and spend my time enforcing it.

I guess if the other contributors feel like it, we can add a text file at the top level of the enigma2 repository and agree to update this file with information that is significant to end users. Naturally this would not be updated after every commit as many changes will not have any major impact on users. As a guideline, I would not list trivial fixes or improvements, such as fixing crashes in obscure corner cases, changing size of fonts or minor layout tweaks. On the other hand, major changes in existing behaviour (like the new handling of audio tracks to prevent AD being the default) or new features should be mentioned. That will only cover enigma2, not the plugins or the underlying distro, which is a much bigger fish, consisting of aggregating over 20,000 components.

I also believe that many of the regular forum contributors are capable of digesting the technical conversation, gaining insights from the code commits and the associated commit comments and subsequently translating all that into consumer/end-user accessible information. Allowing these forum users to contribute updates to the release notes might be valuable. Pull requests on a text file in the repository may be one way, but repos, forks, git and pull requests may be too much of a hurdle for many of these people. There is a BitBucket wiki page that can be edited and could cross reference information in the enigma2 repository. The wiki may be more accessible for these contributors and has the advantage of accepting screen shots, however it is a separate eco-system. If we were to take advantage of the forums, there could be a (moderated) topic that has posts which announce new features as they are committed to the repository. The same topic could also have posts to announce each release, beta and otherwise, to indicate when these features became available. This type of "change log" could provide a running commentary on what's changing. All of these options require agreement from the stakeholders, some level of initial effort, ongoing commitment and continuous performance monitoring.

I'd be happy to hear other opinions. Discussion is good. 8) :)

Blog.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:20

It's simple to extract the titles from the Beyonwiz repository commit messages and list them. The problem with that is that commit messages are intended for the developers, not users, as a target audience, and there can be quite a lot of them.

The commit messages since peteru started the [urlhttps://beyonwiz.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=14800]Next "official" release[/url] topic on 29 Jul are:
2021-07-30 Make software update more resilient.
2021-07-30 Fix bug #753: [FrontendInfo] BER value conversion is broken
2021-07-30 Fix bug #752: Shutdown timers can shut down active recordings
2021-07-31 [RecordTimer,PowerTimer] Clean up testing for running recordings
2021-07-31 Implement enhancement #754: Print PowerTimer logging to debug logs & add timestamps to RecordTimer logs
2021-08-01 Fix spelling mistakes
2021-08-01 Fix crash at startup when there are saved PowerTimers
2021-08-03 [FrontendInfo] Fix for when self.source.ber is None
2021-08-16 Fix bug #756: Startup wizard scan region and final welcome screens broken
2021-08-18 Fix issue #759: Allow page up/down on LEFT/RIGHT in some wizard screens
2021-08-18 Fix issue #759: Code cleanup
2021-08-19 PowerTimerEntry: Prevent crash on VOL+/- when editing autostandby timers
2021-08-19 SoftwareManager: Allow package management even if some feeds are down
2021-08-19 Ipkg: Try harder to remove old packages from the system
2021-08-25 iso-639: Update to 20210218 and add some explanatory comments
2021-08-25 AudioSelection: Remove redundant re-import of ISO639
2021-08-25 UsageConfig: Clean up language selection list
2021-08-25 Switch default primary audio language to English and turn off audio cache
2021-08-25 Make it easier to understand and access the audio cache option
2021-08-27 config: Ensure that changed() is called in setValue()
2021-08-29 Limit REW/FWD seeks to 9999 minutes
2021-08-29 Ignore REW/FWD seek value of zero minutes
2021-08-29 CutListEditor: Implement step back functionality
2021-08-30 Fix bug #668: Link deletion deletes target, not link in MovieSelection
2021-08-31 [About] Make use of new user-friendly filesystem type in Harddisk
2021-08-31 VideoMode: Remove duplicate auto volume setting
2021-08-31 VideoMode: Remove dead code and fix white space issues
2021-08-31 VideoMode: Simplify config descriptions
2021-08-31 Fix bug #737: File system check always uses fsck.ext4, even when inappropriate
2021-08-31 Fix bug #737: Improve HDD selection in storage format/check
2021-08-31 VideoMode: Fix typos in config descriptions
2021-08-31 VideoMode: Provide working implementation of DM 3Dmode API translation
2021-08-31 HarddiskSetup: Remove unused imports
2021-08-31 HarddiskSetup: Fix white space warnings
2021-09-01 [VideoMode] Fix V2 VideoMode crash loop
But I'm not sure whether they're much use to anyone who doesn't already look at what's happening in therepository.

The number of entries since the last official release could be a bit overwhelming - 152 entries. I'm not sure that that would help much.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:24

I don't think it would be too hard to weed out and delete the "Various bug fixes"(tm Google) entries, then translate the remaining ones into user-parsable English.

I was just mulling over this release a while ago, and there really aren't that many significant user-facing changes in this beta vs the last official.
I know lots of effort has gone into improving the overall experience, but a lot of that can be summarised by an entry like "Improved reliability of network mounts", or "Added option to select protocol version to SMB network mounts", and "Updated Infobar layout to provide clearer tuner information", "Show actual number of installed tuners on infobar instead of always "A B C D" (six tuners can be shown on U4 and V2)".

All it needs is a few reminders of what all those changes were....two years is a lot to recall!
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:40

MrQuade wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:24
"Various bug fixes"(tm Google) entries

It's not just Google doing that. The last two updates I had from Norton were pretty much the same, as was Apple's "macOS 11.5.2 includes bug fixes for your Mac".
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:43

MrQuade wrote:
I was just mulling over this release a while ago, and there really aren't that many significant user-facing changes in this beta vs the last official.
I know lots of effort has gone into improving the overall experience, but a lot of that can be summarised by an entry like "Improved reliability of network mounts", or "Added option to select protocol version to SMB network mounts", and "Updated Infobar layout to provide clearer tuner information", "Show actual number of installed tuners on infobar instead of always "A B C D" (six tuners can be shown on U4 and V2)".

All it needs is a few reminders of what all those changes were....two years is a lot to recall!

I've done that in the past, and I think that you have, too. The description really doesn't reflect the effort that it takes to do a decent job, which is pretty much why I stopped trying to do it.

Peteru's suggestion of a fill-it-in-as-you-go log sounds more achievable, but I think that it's an open question whether it would work in a useful way.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

gtwundke
Apprentice

Post by gtwundke » Sat Sep 04, 2021 19:46

peteru wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 00:19
I'm not opposed to your idea. I think it makes a lot of sense. However, I am sceptical about it actually working in practice. I certainly don't want to make it a policy and spend my time enforcing it.

I understand, although from my experience it just becomes ingrained after a while (although I still occasionally merge a branch and discover I've forgotten to update the changelog... in which case a simple commit to master is fine). I guess the beauty of pull requests is being able to see whether the changelog has been updated and if not, ask a quick question of the developer before merging. The overhead is small, but yeah, it is overhead.
peteru wrote:
I guess if the other contributors feel like it, we can add a text file at the top level of the enigma2 repository and agree to update this file with information that is significant to end users. Naturally this would not be updated after every commit as many changes will not have any major impact on users. As a guideline, I would not list trivial fixes or improvements, such as fixing crashes in obscure corner cases, changing size of fonts or minor layout tweaks. On the other hand, major changes in existing behaviour (like the new handling of audio tracks to prevent AD being the default) or new features should be mentioned.

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant in my first post. I don't think it's generally worth adding anything if the user is unlikely to notice or care. Things like network stability improvements (as mentioned in a previous post) could be exactly something that a user has been having issues with though, so a quick mention of that fix, along with perhaps any particular situations that the reliability has been improved, would be enough.

I do also still think you need release markers (simple underlined heading) so that you can tie changes to a particular release. In the case of betas, this could simply be a date (or perhaps a monotonically increasing number, which is what I do for my applications), as proper release numbering is too painful.
peteru wrote:
That will only cover enigma2, not the plugins or the underlying distro, which is a much bigger fish, consisting of aggregating over 20,000 components.

Yeah, and I think that's totally understandable in this environment. If you happened to pull in a bunch of changes and saw that there were things worth mentioning then you can optionally add then to the changelog. Or, even just mentioning that upstream changes have been merged would be helpful. I don't know your process for that though, so there are likely complications that I don't understand there.
peteru wrote:
I also believe that many of the regular forum contributors are capable of digesting the technical conversation, gaining insights from the code commits and the associated commit comments and subsequently translating all that into consumer/end-user accessible information. Allowing these forum users to contribute updates to the release notes might be valuable. Pull requests on a text file in the repository may be one way, but repos, forks, git and pull requests may be too much of a hurdle for many of these people. There is a BitBucket wiki page that can be edited and could cross reference information in the enigma2 repository. The wiki may be more accessible for these contributors and has the advantage of accepting screen shots, however it is a separate eco-system. If we were to take advantage of the forums, there could be a (moderated) topic that has posts which announce new features as they are committed to the repository. The same topic could also have posts to announce each release, beta and otherwise, to indicate when these features became available. This type of "change log" could provide a running commentary on what's changing. All of these options require agreement from the stakeholders, some level of initial effort, ongoing commitment and continuous performance monitoring.

While I still think that the best person to initially write the entry is the developer (again, I think it's actually the least-effort option overall), having others be able to tweak the wording would be helpful. The wiki could work, although as you say, it's a separate ecosystem. My hesitation about the forum is that everything becomes very disjointed: someone adds an entry, then three posts down someone suggests a change, then there's another comment on the next page, etc. Again, this may be a "me" problem, but there's quite a large cognitive load required to properly grok (old school!) forum-based threads that mix multiple issues, and having a separate thread per changelog entry (which would mean a separate sub-forum for each release) seems a bit like overkill.

I think being able to edit inline is far better. And having a link in the form directly to the wiki page for a release would smooth some of that friction. However, I also think it's worth having something on the beyonwiz itself after an update, rather than having to look at a wiki page to see updates. Well, maybe the wiki is fine for betas, and then a proper changelog is added for a production release. Or, maybe for a production release, a new forum thread is added that collates (and trims) the wiki entries, with a menu item on the beyonwiz pointing people to the forum to see changes (it just feels better pointing to the forum than a Bitbucket wiki!). I'd certainly be happy to help out with that type of thing.

Just typing as I think there, hence the multiple suggestions.
peteru wrote:
I'd be happy to hear other opinions. Discussion is good. 8) :)

Thanks for indulging me. I appreciate it!
Synology DS918+
Pioneer SC-LX73 Receiver
Logitech Harmony Elite

gtwundke
Apprentice

Post by gtwundke » Sat Sep 04, 2021 20:12

MrQuade wrote:

The changes that I would make to those examples, to make them more user friendly, would be:
  • Improved reliability of network mounts when ... or in the following cases ...
  • Added option to select protocol version to SMB network mounts (see [MENU]>[Setup]>...)
  • Show actual number of installed tuners on infobar ([Enter] button) instead of always ...
Again, you guys know exactly where these changes are, but a lot of users don't (it's a complicated machine, after all), so context is really helpful.

Adding the model that a change applies to -- if it's only a certain model(s) -- at the end (e.g. "(V2 only)") much as you did above, is also a great idea.

prl wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:43
I've done that in the past, and I think that you have, too. The description really doesn't reflect the effort that it takes to do a decent job, which is pretty much why I stopped trying to do it.

I guess my comment to that is that user's don't understand effort regardless of what you say (I mean, just look at the number of times users request complicated features and say "it'll just be a small/easy change" ... present company excluded of course ... *ahem* 8)). Developers will never get the kudos they deserve.

prl wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:43
Peteru's suggestion of a fill-it-in-as-you-go log sounds more achievable, but I think that it's an open question whether it would work in a useful way.

I mean, I don't want to say that that was exactly what I suggested in the first post, but, well, I do really want to say that :wink:.
Synology DS918+
Pioneer SC-LX73 Receiver
Logitech Harmony Elite

Return to “Bug Reporting and Feature Requests”