T2 Major Fault/Crash

Moderators: Gully, peteru

prl
Wizard God

Re: T2 Major Fault/Crash

Post by prl » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:47

Chrilynn2 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:10
I also note you mention the bootlogger. Should this be reinstalled again first before the new firmware, or was that a one off with the 16 and 17 upgrades?

That's "bootloader" not "bootlogger". There has only ever been one T2 boot loader update. It was a separate USB updater beyonwiz-t2-bootloader-201506240322.zip

On my test T2 with firmware 19.3 build 20210710, the boot loader is timestamped "Wed Jun 24 03:22:15 AEST 2015", which matches the datestamp on the T2 boot loader updater (2010-06-24 03:22). You can check the date in MENU>Information>About>Bootloader.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:50

prl wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 17:40
Chrilynn2 wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 15:18
The bad T2 firmware update starts fine ( using composite, HDMI, or component), screen showing progress clearly.

There isn't really much of a boot progress indication on the T2. ... much more ...

I don't think you answered any of my questions. That's OK, but it makes it harder for me to contribute anything useful to the discussion.

Please use paragraphs to make your posts easier to read (add a blank like in the input to get a paragraph).
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Jul 28, 2021 13:04

prl wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:47
On my test V2 with firmware ....
Test "T2" you mean I think?

The V2 doesn't have an equivalent bootloader AFAIK.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Jul 28, 2021 13:54

MrQuade wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 13:04
prl wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:47
On my test V2 with firmware ....
Test "T2" you mean I think?

The V2 doesn't have an equivalent bootloader AFAIK.

Thanks, yes, I meant T2. I've corrected my post. I wrote all my original post whilst having "Beyonwiz T2" showing on the TV screen on my desk :roll:

The V2 does indeed have a boot loader in every updater. I can see that because when I do a USB recovery update with an OpenViX or OpenATV image, I get a different and more fully featured boot loader than if I do an update with Beyonwiz firmware. The newer boot loader has much better multiboot support.

However, on my test V2, neither boot loader version is shown in the MENU>Information>About screen. In the newer ViX/ATV boot loader, the version is shown in the boot loader screen, but the boot loader version isn't shown in the Beyonwiz boot loader.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Chrilynn2
Master

Post by Chrilynn2 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 14:19

Thanks for the clarification, not sure why I said bootlogger.
The reference you used was on my bad T2 before it got worse, and also on my good T2.
I take it from what you indicate that it is not required to be reinstalled before firmware upgrades?

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Jul 28, 2021 14:50

Chrilynn2 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 14:19
Thanks for the clarification, not sure why I said bootlogger.
The reference you used was on my bad T2 before it got worse, and also on my good T2.
I take it from what you indicate that it is not required to be reinstalled before firmware upgrades?

If you have the "Wed Jun 24 03:22:15 AEST 2015" boot loader installed, that's the correct one, and you don't need to re-install it unless you think it has been corrupted.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Chrilynn2
Master

Post by Chrilynn2 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 16:38

Thanks for the confirmation.
I’ve yet to try a new firmware installation, videoing it to show what it does, as requested.

Chrilynn2
Master

Post by Chrilynn2 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 18:04

Full update.
Good news.
A new attempt at installation worked.
I videoed it as suggested but I’ve not attached it because everything went perfectly and the suspect T2 is now up and running.
I have checked the information and it shows the new version, and it is correctly connected to the internet.
I have no idea what occurred but I downloaded the firmware fresh again and unpacked it on my Lexar stick.
I used exactly the same set as on previous attempts( that is using composite video).
This time the startup image stayed on screen for the whole period ( bubbles and all).
It took the full 10 minutes, and fired up the moment I took out the USB stick, and set up perfectly.
I have not moved it to it’s permanent spot, or tried HDMI, component output, but it appears to be functioning correctly, and has free flash memory.
I will finalise positioning and setup tomorrow, but I am more than happy with the result so far.
After the final steps I will report the outcome, and update my other T2.
I am extremely happy to have prolonged the life of equipment, rather than scrapping it.
I wish to thank all contributors to a successful outcome.
I have learned an awful lot, and appreciate all of your assistance.
This is clearly a very effective forum with many willing, and knowledgeable contributors.
I apologise for at times being vague, and or missing vital steps, and points.
I blame it on my 72 year old, addled brain.
I cannot explain why the upgrade was successful after so many failed attempts, other than the fresh firmware download, and the specific USB stick.
Thanks again

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Wed Jul 28, 2021 18:10

Chrilynn2 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 18:04
I cannot explain why the upgrade was successful after so many failed attempts, other than the fresh firmware download, and the specific USB stick.

Very likely this.
Good result.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Jul 28, 2021 18:16

Chrilynn2 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 18:04
Apologies for calling it prematurely dead ;).
It certainly did seem like a whole lot of problems on top of problems for a while there!

I've be very interested to know how you get on with the component and HDMI now.
I hope you'll find the many many improvements in the 19.3 firmware a pleasant surprise :).
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Chrilynn2
Master

Post by Chrilynn2 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 16:35

Sorry for the delay in updating progress in this issue.
It’s been a hectic few days and I have only just completed the firmware upgrade for the second T2.

This went without a hitch, unlike the dramas of the first T2 saga.

To respond to your last post MrQuade, it certainly looked as if the first T2 was a goner, so your comments were justified.
To answer your question, HDMI on the first T2 is still suspect, and intermittent ( varies over time, sometimes watchable, other times very unstable) but component/ optical audio seems fine.

One possible issue is that there seems to be a discrepancy in the network setting details.
A check of network address in menu/ information shows a different ISP to the network settings information in setup.
I note that these settings are identical for the other T2. I can also access the other T2 in OpenWebif, whereas I can’t reach this T2 in this manner. Calling up it’s ISP is blocked?
Can’t understand why this discrepancy is there, between the 2 T2s.

I was intrigued by you comment about being pleased by the new features of the new firmware , is there a way of checking these out?
I would appreciate any pointers on this, and how I might better navigate around , and call up other devices.
Thanks again for all your previous pointers, suggestions, and assistance.
Likewise with all contributors.

Next task is to remount the third USB tuner.

Cheers.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 19:24

Chrilynn2 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 16:35
Sorry for the delay in updating progress in this issue.
It’s been a hectic few days and I have only just completed the firmware upgrade for the second T2.

This went without a hitch, unlike the dramas of the first T2 saga.

To respond to your last post MrQuade, it certainly looked as if the first T2 was a goner, so your comments were justified.
To answer your question, HDMI on the first T2 is still suspect, and intermittent ( varies over time, sometimes watchable, other times very unstable) but component/ optical audio seems fine.

One possible issue is that there seems to be a discrepancy in the network setting details.
A check of network address in menu/ information shows a different ISP to the network settings information in setup.
I note that these settings are identical for the other T2. I can also access the other T2 in OpenWebif, whereas I can’t reach this T2 in this manner. Calling up it’s ISP is blocked?

I was intrigued by you comment about being pleased by the new features of the new firmware , is there a way of checking these out?
I would appreciate any pointers on this, and how I might better navigate around , and call up other devices.
Thanks again for all your previous pointers, suggestions, and assistance.
Likewise with all contributors.

Next task is to remount the third USB tuner.

Cheers.

That sounds like a faulty HDMI connector causing the intermittency.
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Fri Jul 30, 2021 19:46

Chrilynn2 wrote:

You'll have to show us what you see on both screens for both units.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 21:06

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 19:46
Chrilynn2 wrote:

You'll have to show us what you see on both screens for both units.

Is it wired or is it wireless connected to the router? On wireless I recently found it necessary to manually enter the IP address, netmask and gateway address. DHCP had loaded nonsense values.

Regardless of the connection type, it's worth trying manual entry of appropriate values to eliminate the possibility it's a DHCP problem. You can get the gateway address and netmask from your other T2. Turn off Automatic configuration (DHCP) to expose the manual configuration screen.

The first three fields of the IP address will also be the same as the other T2. The last field should be a number outside the reserved range of the router. If you don't know the range try to find out. If that fails, pick a number unlikely to be used, say 185. [Edited to avoid the 200-255 range.]
Last edited by Paul_oz53 on Sat Jul 31, 2021 23:29, edited 1 time in total.
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Jul 30, 2021 21:07

And what do you mean by "ISP"?
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Fri Jul 30, 2021 21:21

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 21:06
If you don't know the range pick a number unlikely to be used, say 202.

Better to say "If you don't know the range look in your router and find it out".
Some routers have the DHCP range at the high end, e.g. 200-254.

Chrilynn2
Master

Post by Chrilynn2 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:10

Sorry prl, I meant “IP”.
The good news is It seems to be fixed now.
I ran the network wizard again but the network details were still incorrect but then I restarted the network, and they updated correctly to be in-line with Information Network
I can now access the 2nd T2 through OpenWebif.
All seems well now.
Glad I didn’t have to fiddle with manual settings but I guess I should try to get comfortable doing this, at some stage.
I will live with component viewing, for the time being. Hopefully this will hold up, better than the HDMI hardware.
I’ve noticed that the other T2 occasionally drops out so, fingers crossed.
Thanks, once more, to all contributors.
Can anyone point me in the right direction to using OpenWebif, effectively, particularly swapping units, and viewing files remotely.

Thanks again.
Cheers

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Jul 31, 2021 13:08

Chrilynn2 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:10
Can anyone point me in the right direction to using OpenWebif, effectively, particularly swapping units, and viewing files remotely.

Just open your browser using the network name of your Beyonwiz, or if that fails, its IP address (not all routers support local DNS names). If you want to use the network names in your browser, you'll need to change at least one of the names, since they'll both default to "beyonwizt2". Is that what you mean by "swapping units"? You can keep two browser tabs open, one for each Beyonwiz, if you like.

You can set the network name for your Beyonwiz in MENU>Setup>Network>Mount manager>Change hostname. You'll need to restart the box after making the change to make the change visible.

To play back a recording on your Beyonwiz, click on Movies in the sidebar, navigate to the folder where the recording is, if necessary, then click on the "PC screen" icon in the left end of the recording entry. You'll need a suitable media player installed (either one already on your computer, or a free one like VLC): OpenWebif doesn't play media itself, it hands the job off to a media player.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Chrilynn2
Master

Post by Chrilynn2 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 14:59

Thanks Peter, I look forward to playing around with it, and learning more about it.
Cheers

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sat Jul 31, 2021 23:16

Chrilynn2 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:10

For viewing recordings, I think it's easier to use Windows File Explorer on a computer to do the playback of a recording from the V2's "Movie" share (of the default /media/hdd/movie directory).
I think it's easier to simply open the {recording}.ts file with PotPlayer or VLC (et. al.)
OWIF recording meta data presentation is much better, but the OWIF ".m3u8" playback assignment (file association) can be a bit of a challenge for some folk.

Return to “Bug Reporting and Feature Requests”