Incorrect subtitle position

Moderators: Gully, peteru

raj
Master

Incorrect subtitle position

Post by raj » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:43

G'day,

There is a significant issue with the subtitle position on the T2 running the latest firmware.

The issue is with the subtitle position being not moved high enough off the bottom on the ABC News (Ch 24) channel.

On the ABC News channel, there are 3 lines that show at the bottom of the broadcast. This is transmitted by the ABC, however the T2 does not use this position data and adjust its position appropriately. As a result, the subtitles come over the top row of information thereby rendering it unreadable.

I have tried every option to try and move it up, but it refuses to move.

The T2 does move it up from the bottom, and will even move it to the top of the screen if there is other information at the bottom, but not just up a bit.

I know that the ABC is transmitting the information for the TV (and T2) to move subtitles up because if I look at the broadcast directly on the TV, the subtitles there have been moved up by the TV.

At one stage I had it fixed to move it up, however this put the subtitles right across the middle of the screen and made things even more difficult for the viewer.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

prl
Wizard God

Re: Incorrect subtitle position

Post by prl » Mon Jul 19, 2021 13:52

raj wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:43
As a result, the subtitles come over the top row of information thereby rendering it unreadable.

The top row of what information? The infobar?
raj wrote:
The T2 does move it up from the bottom, and will even move it to the top of the screen if there is other information at the bottom, but not just up a bit.

What sort of information at the bottom of the screen?
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Jul 19, 2021 14:08

prl wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 13:52
raj wrote:
As a result, the subtitles come over the top row of information thereby rendering it unreadable.

The top row of what information? The infobar?

OK, do you mean the headline bars at the bottom of the ABC News news screens?

If so, on ABC News (Canberra) my test T2, the subtitles show only two lines for me, and they are above the ABC News headline bars.

Here's a screenshot of what I see:
1_0_1_210_211_1010_EEEE0000_0_0_0_20210719140308.jpg
The text of the bottom subtitle line sometimes overlaps the red "what's the news segment about" ("COVID CRISIS") box, but not by much.

While I was watching, the subtitles moved to the top of the screen when the weather forecast was being read, so that instead of appearing over the mostly empty southern ocean and Bight area, the display moved to the top and obscured the Darwin (and Katherine?) placenames, temperatures & weather icons. But I think that's down to a bad choice made by the ABC, not the T2.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

blip
Master

Post by blip » Mon Jul 19, 2021 15:36

Check the "Use original teletext position" setting". Menu - Setup - TV - Subtitle settings.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Jul 19, 2021 17:47

These are the settings I'm using on the T2 I took the screenshot from:

Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 17.45.30.png

Can you post a screenshot of the problem you're seeing?
And possibly also of the settings you're using when you get the original problem?
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Jul 19, 2021 18:10

I played a little with disabling "Use original teletext position" and playing with "Subtitle position".

It looks like setting "Subtitle position" to 200 should move a 3-line subtitle block high enough so that it doesn't overlap ABC News's banners at the bottom of the screen. You might even get away with 150, but I normally only see 2 lines of subtitles on ABC News, so it's hard to be sure.

I did see a brief 3-line ABC News subtitle while I was playing with the position setting, but it didn't last for long enough for me to really test it.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

raj
Master

Post by raj » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:43

Sorry for the delay. Things have been a little hectic.

I have been through the subtitle settings and I use the "use original position" setting, and the position gets adjusted EXCEPT on the ABC News channel where it is not moved high enough. As usual, as soon as they are told the device you are using, it gets blamed.

I am not sure, but it may be a ABC News issue in that it needs they need to send the position for the subtitles one line higher. I have contacted them and they refuse to acknowledge it. The move it up, but not enough.

I have attached an image showing the problem.
Attachments
IMG_1030.png

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:20

What setting do you have for "Subtitle alignment"? From your image, it looks like you have "left" alignment.

I have the default "center" alignment and I only get minimal interference with the ABC News bottom banner, and only when the bottom line of subtitle is near its maximum length:

Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 11.17.03.png
It's also possible, as I mentioned in my previous post, to raise the subtitles area so that it's above the ABC banner, but it's not possible to do that on a per-channel basis.

You might also find it helpful to increase the subtitle border width. It looks like you've decreased it from the default 3, but it's hard to be sure from the image.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

raj
Master

Post by raj » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:44

prl wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:20
What setting do you have for "Subtitle alignment"? From your image, it looks like you have "left" alignment.
Yes, I do have it left alignment
I have the default "center" alignment and I only get minimal interference with the ABC News bottom banner, and only when the bottom line of subtitle is near its maximum length:
The reason I use left alignment is because it is easier to follow and read. When I use centre alignment, it covers less, but when the red banner increases in length, it still covered by the third title line.
It's also possible, as I mentioned in my previous post, to raise the subtitles area so that it's above the ABC banner, but it's not possible to do that on a per-channel basis.
I have tried setting it specifically high, but this then causes issues where other broadcasters are sending the correct information but with a fixed position, that then gets blocked.
You might also find it helpful to increase the subtitle border width. It looks like you've decreased it from the default 3, but it's hard to be sure from the image.
I am using a text border width of 3 pixels. :D

A lot of my settings are after discussing and setting thing up with someone who is hearing impaired. He preferred left justification because it followed normal reading. The ability to have no background for subtitles is a huge positive. It just needs the ABC to come on board.

The weirdest thing is where segments of the ABC news channel is shown on the main channel, the correct position is either shown or the subtitles are sent to the top of the screen.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:52

raj wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:44
The weirdest thing is where segments of the ABC news channel is shown on the main channel, the correct position is either shown or the subtitles are sent to the top of the screen.

I'm pretty sure that's the ABC doing that. I've seen it done during weather forecasts, where it jumps up from where it was obscuring nothing to the top of the screen where it obscures some of the weather icons for the Northern Territory.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Return to “Bug Reporting and Feature Requests”