Infobar Partly Remains On Screen

Moderators: Gully, peteru

naigy
Apprentice

Infobar Partly Remains On Screen

Post by naigy » Sat Nov 14, 2020 06:58

Hi,

I have a T4 running 17.5 (20191106) and has been for quite a while. Just recently it seems to have a fault with the info bar where it keeps a small section of it at the right side of screen and along the bottom. When it does occur doing a complete power down and up again resolves the issue and haven't been able to work out any action that appears to cause it to occur.

Of interest though if I bring up the info bar you still see the frozen part of the bar (offset) but when that fades for about 1 second the frozen bar section disappears before it comes back.

Unlikely to be relevant but If I do a screen shot from the web interface it doesn't show however if I bring up the info bar and do a screen shot I see the standard info bar but not the frozen section

Lastly changing channels, watching recordings, switching to standby and back on and no other action other than a power down appears to resolve the issue.

Any advice would be awesome. Have seen there is a recent beta and not sure if that is a suggested first step yet.

Sorry have updated above. I am running 17.5 firmware not 19.3 as I originally stated.
Attachments
201114-IMG_20201114_074214.jpg
201114-IMG_20201114_074205.jpg
201114-IMG_20201114_074201.jpg
Last edited by naigy on Sat Nov 14, 2020 18:44, edited 1 time in total.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: Infobar Partly Remains On Screen

Post by MrQuade » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:06

This looks like it is related to the GUI scaling setting.

It's as if the first time the infobar is drawn, it is done at full resolution, then the GUI scaling kicks in, and the full size infobar isn't cleaned up properly.

Try going into the GUI scaling and set it up so that there is no gap at the edges of the screen.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:18

Truly bizarre!

Whenever I get something odd happening my first thought is to refresh the firmware. If MrQuade's suggestion doesn't work I'd reflash the firmware.

The current beta is fine on our T4 except if you use autotimers setup via Openwebif. We don't. If you do, I believe that 20201011 was the last working version.

Otherwise, it could be a manifestation of the T4 tuner voltage regulator failure syndrome. If it is then it is crucial to get it repaired urgently as severe, irreparable damage may occur. See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=12841

The problem is the damaged heatsink cement corrodes away the board and destroys the motherboard. You have to open the T4 to inspect for this problem.
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:25

MrQuade wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:06
It's as if the first time the infobar is drawn, it is done at full resolution, then the GUI scaling kicks in, and the full size infobar isn't cleaned up properly.

Yeah, but that background infobar shows a different provider frequency.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:28

naigy wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 06:58
I have a T4 running 19.3 (20191106) and has been for quite a while. Just recently it seems to have a fault with the info bar where it keeps a small section of it at the right side of screen and along the bottom. When it does occur doing a complete power down and up again resolves the issue and haven't been able to work out any action that appears to cause it to occur.

The overlaid infobar shows as being offset. Maybe your OSD settings are being corrupted? What do you have for MENU>>Setup>>AV setup>>OSD position?

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:50

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:28

The overlaid infobar shows as being offset. Maybe your OSD settings are being corrupted? What do you have for MENU>>Setup>>AV setup>>OSD position?

The OSD settings on our T4 connected to a cheap LCD TV with no overscan control capability are frequently ignored for no apparent reason. Somedays they work, others they don't. But, in our case, they either work or the overscan prevails. Never do we get this effect.

Entering the OSD menu and changing a value will trigger it to work temporarily. A convoluted way of saying that the OSD code is not particularly robust.

What does concern me though is naigy describes this as new behaviour. If checking the OSD setting doesn't work and if a reflash doesn't fix it, or even if it does, he should still check the internals for any sign of the regulator fault.
Denon AVR -X2400H

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sat Nov 14, 2020 13:03

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:50
The OSD settings on our T4 connected to a cheap LCD TV with no overscan control capability are frequently ignored for no apparent reason. Somedays they work, others they don't. But, in our case, they either work or the overscan prevails. Never do we get this effect.

Entering the OSD menu and changing a value will trigger it to work temporarily. A convoluted way of saying that the OSD code is not particularly robust.

I have that issue too if the T4 GUI starts before the TV has been turned on.
My U4 has this issue also, but with it I can use MENU>>Setup>>AV setup>>Test screens, and then simply exit.
Alternatives are using TV-OUT, selecting any different resolution, then "no" to the "is this res. okay?" popup and exit, or using TV-OUT and cycling through all of the resolutions.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 15:06

Thanks Grumpy_Geoff.

We don't have an issue with the U4 as the lounge TV can turn overscan off.

In the family room the T4 is locked on 7HD four days a week. Only on Fridays does the question "what will we watch" get asked, so only then do we see it. This is a question which must be answered instantly, with no time lost pressing unnecessary buttons...

Needless to say, I just ignore the problem for self preservation, no matter how much it annoys me!

The T4 is a revision 2.0 board and shows no signs of the regulator problem but it is fitted with a USB fan over the tuner regulators to reduce the risk of failure.
Denon AVR -X2400H

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Nov 14, 2020 16:15

I can't replicate naigy's problem with the infobar on my test T4 connected to a TV that has (non-removable) overscan.

But like Grumpy_Geoff and Paul_oz53 , I have issues with the overscan compensation if the TV is off while the T4 starts up.

In that case, the overscan compensation gets ignored, and stays ignored even if I go to MENU>AV setup>OSD position and change the OSD position settings.

Unplugging and replugging the HDMI cable to force a HDMI renegotiation doesn't help.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

naigy
Apprentice

Post by naigy » Sat Nov 14, 2020 18:48

Thanks for the replies. I currently am unable to take control of the TV but will try what has been stated when I can gain control (likely not till tomorrow). I have edited my original post as I mis-stated the firmware I am running. I stated 19.3 in error but it is actually 17.5.

Will post details of OSD setup and make adjustments and post back but likely wont know if it is likely successful for a few days as it is intermittent when it occurs and haven't noticed any action which can cause it to occur but will also check if having the TV off when it boots up can make a difference as that does sometimes occur but haven't yet made that link.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sat Nov 14, 2020 19:13

naigy wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 18:48
I have edited my original post as I mis-stated the firmware I am running. I stated 19.3 in error but it is actually 17.5.

You've cocked up that firmware version - it most certainly isn't "17.5 (20191106)". The "17.5" denotes a firmware family/series. The actual firmware version is reported in the "Revision" field.
What does OWIF Boxinfo show for the firmware version in http://beyonwizt4/#boxinfo
naigy wrote: Will post details of OSD setup and make adjustments and post back but likely wont know if it is likely successful for a few days as it is intermittent when it occurs and haven't noticed any action which can cause it to occur but will also check if having the TV off when it boots up can make a difference as that does sometimes occur but haven't yet made that link.

As to the OSD settings, you don't need access to the GUI to get them. Open this is a browser - http://beyonwizt4/api/settings
Find the settings values for config.osd.{x} where {x} is dst_width, dst_top, dst_height, dst_left.

Have you installed any plugins?

naigy
Apprentice

Post by naigy » Sat Nov 14, 2020 19:49

You are correct. It is in fact 19.3 firmware. Could have sworn I saw 17.5 earlier

As for the OSD settings

"config.osd.dst_height",
"560"

There is no mention of the other variables in the web url

As for plugins I have one for EPG (Vertical EPG) which I installed in April this year but this issue has only been occurring for perhaps a month or two that I have noticed.

Will let you know what I find tomorrow.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sat Nov 14, 2020 20:13

naigy wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 19:49
As for the OSD settings

"config.osd.dst_height",
"560"

There is no mention of the other variables in the web url

Thus it appears you've adjusted the "Height" setting but not "Move Up/Down" nor "Move Left/Right" & "Width". Possibly something has nuked those 3 setting values.
Try setting those, as per this method - viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14470&p=190461#p190461

naigy
Apprentice

Post by naigy » Sun Nov 15, 2020 05:38

Geoff you are correct I think. I have changed settings as follows and now see none of the settings in the URL but if I change them all I can see all of them so looks like they are now all set at "defaults". Don't know why the Width variable wasn't in the URL page previously perhaps some form of corruption in settings there. Have double checked the export I made to make sure I didn't miss it

I have changed the settings now
Width from 700 to 720
Height from 560 to 576
Move Left/Right and Up/Down are unchanged at 0.

As for overscan settings this was already switched off on the TV and secondly when I check the Test Screens from the T4 it also indicates Overscan is 0% (can see all 8 arrow tips).

Before I changed the OSD settings I did try booting the T4 up from complete off with the TV off and then switching the TV on and this didn't seem to cause the issue at all.

In any case will monitor and see how it goes over the next week or so. Will report back if I see the issue return but perhaps it has to do with what may have been corrupt settings.

Once I know how it goes will also try the beta software but I do use the Autotimers from OpenWebif so will use the version recommended for that. Thanks again all.

naigy
Apprentice

Post by naigy » Sat Dec 12, 2020 17:20

Well its been about a month since making the above changes and the issue hasn't reappeared so thinking I can be reasonably hopeful that it is resolved. Thanks again all for your assistance.

Return to “Bug Reporting and Feature Requests”