Subtitles

Moderators: Gully, peteru

billyblue
Apprentice

Subtitles

Post by billyblue » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:07

Recently I've found some media with 30+ different subtitles.

Rather than cycling through each one, would it be possible to go to a drop down selection (similar to VLC's method)?

- Hopefully "Subtitles off" would always be at the top of the list!

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: Subtitles

Post by MrQuade » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:21

billyblue wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:07
Rather than cycling through each one, would it be possible to go to a drop down selection (similar to VLC's method)?
long-press the SUBTITLE button :)
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:29

MrQuade wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:21
billyblue wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:07
long-press the SUBTITLE button :)

Which pressing the HELP button would have said, in the "Subtitles" section: "Subtitle selection" -> long SUBTITLE
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

billyblue
Apprentice

Post by billyblue » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:50

(I always forget about long press!)

Unfortunately long press doesn't seem to offer the simple "Subtitle off" option that I'm after.

Some more background: My hearing isn't perfect. Whilst I run with subtitles off more than on, for some reason playback of files starts with subtitles on - which I'm OK about. While it's usually only one press to turn them off when not needed, when there are multiple subtitles available then I have to do one short press per language to get to Subtitles off, so 30 is stretching it, esp when I accidentally skip past Subtitles off...

PRL: The Help button needs more research by me: it was a lot of presses to get to the subst button. Maybe long press there as well???

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:24

billyblue wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:50
Unfortunately long press doesn't seem to offer the simple "Subtitle off" option that I'm after.
You can just click on the currently selected subtitle to turn it off. But yes, there is no option there to select "No Subtitle".

This seems to be a bit of an edge case though. 30 subtitle tracks is pretty extreme. Perhaps you could remux these media files and remove all the useless ones.
billyblue wrote:
PRL: The Help button needs more research by me: it was a lot of presses to get to the subst button. Maybe long press there as well???
Not sure I am following there. How does a long-press help in this instance?

If you want to know the function of a specific button in the HELP screen, you can just press that button.
That doesn't help you if you want to know "how do I do X" though of course.
Remember that you can "Page up" and "Page down" in many menus with the LEFT and RIGHT buttons. and if those don't work, then it will be the CH+ or CH- buttons.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:40

billyblue wrote:

As MrQuade says, you can scroll up/down the help page using LEFT/RIGHT.

If you press HELP while in the help page, it tells you that you can "Navigate up/down with the UP/DOWN buttons and page up/down with LEFT/RIGHT." The help screen even has its HELP button hint in the bottom left to let you know that there is help available for the help screen.

The help page doesn't use long-presses for any of its own functions, though it will jump to the entry for any long-press button if you long-press it in the help page.

For example, in the live TV or recording/media playback, long-SUBTITLE will take you straight to the "Subtitle selection" help entry under "Subtitles", but of course, you'd need to think of trying it. But a short press of SUBTITLE will take you to the "Cycle through subtitle streams" entry, and "Subtitle selection" is directly below it.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Fri Oct 23, 2020 13:13

billyblue wrote:
playback of files starts with subtitles on
That would be Settings > TV > Subtitle settings > Automatically turn on external subtitles

Return to “Bug Reporting and Feature Requests”