Moderators: Gully, peteru

prl
Wizard God

More sensible bouquet selection after scan

Post by prl » Sat Jul 13, 2019 14:07

New topic for suggestion from peteru in another topic:
peteru wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 16:45
* After rescanning, the users is left in the "Last Scanned" bouquet. This is not intuitive at all and generates unnecessary requests for help. It would be much better if the current bouquet was not changed at all. If it needs to be changed (for example because it becomes empty after the scan), then perhaps the user can be left in Terrestrial LCN or even All Services. However, my preference would be to not change the bouquet at all.

* Also, after a (re)scan, it may be best to not start any service so that there is no question as to what service to choose. Perhaps just present the user with a user interface that gives them a list of services and makes them pick one.

The actual situation is a little more complicated.

At the beginning of the scan, the serviceref for the current playing service is saved and the service is stopped: the video shows a frozen frame from that service.

At the end of the scan, when the user presses OK, the code searches the bouquet list to find the bouquet names "Last Scanned" and sets this as the current bouquet if it's found.

It may seem obvious that it would be found, since a scan has just been performed, and the user hasn't had an opportunity to delete the Last Scanned bouquet.

However, if the user has disabled MENU>Setup>TV>Channel selection>Enable multiple bouquets, the bouquet list doesn't contain "Last Scanned", even though the bouquet exists.

If "Last Scanned" is set to be the current bouquet, the code then sets the service that was highlighted when OK was pressed to be the current service, and puts the saved previously playing service in the channel change history as the previously channel.

But it does not start the newly selected service playing.

The bouquet is presumably switched to Last Scanned so that the selected service will be in the bouquet, but this switch is not possible if Enable multiple bouquets is disabled.

Also, when the user presses OK when a radio service is highlighted in the list of scanned services, a radio service will be selected while in TV mode. However ,that is also possible to do via the Last Scanned bouquet in Channel Selection.

It's relatively easy to start the selected service playing, but I wonder why it was removed. The notes on the commit that removed it say "ServiceScan: Play service later as tuner was still in use", but that commit restarts the service in Screens.ScanSetup, which is only used if you do a Manual Scan rather than use Location scan.

So, what should it do? I agree with peteru that the user's bouquet should not be changed if possible. There is already a mechanism for the user to select a service (unless the user has disabled Enable multiple bouquets), and that is done already - the service is just not started.

The problem with the existing mechanism is that the user can select a service from a bouquet that is effectively Last Scanned, and that selected service may be one that isn't in their current bouquet.

This problem is solved in the scan done during the initial setup wizard by running the Channel Selection screen as the final step. Perhaps that's the cleanest way to finish off a scan from the Setup screens.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Gully

Re: More sensible bouquet selection after scan

Post by Gully » Sat Jul 13, 2019 15:41

Would it be possible to store the current bouquet when a scan is started from a menu option and restore that setting/option after it is complete?
Cheers
Gully

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Jul 13, 2019 15:59

Gully wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 15:41
Would it be possible to store the current bouquet when a scan is started from a menu option and restore that setting/option after it is complete?

That in fact happens anyway. Then at the end of the scan, the code actually overrides the user's old bouquet selection with Last Scanned, if there is a Last Scanned bouquet available (i.e. if Enable multiple bouquets is not disabled).

The issue is that then what service should be restarted? Should it try to just restart the user's old service, though that may not be in the user's bouquet (any more) or should it allow the user to choose a new service from the list of services just scanned, though that may not be in the user's bouquet, either, or should it do something entirely different?
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Gully

Post by Gully » Sat Jul 13, 2019 16:44

prl wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 15:59

That in fact happens anyway. Then at the end of the scan, the code actually overrides the user's old bouquet selection with Last Scanned, if there is a Last Scanned bouquet available (i.e. if Enable multiple bouquets is not disabled).
So only the first half happens - save but no restore?
The issue is that then what service should be restarted? Should it try to just restart the user's old service, though that may not be in the user's bouquet (any more) or should it allow the user to choose a new service from the list of services just scanned, though that may not be in the user's bouquet, either, or should it do something entirely different?
How about restarting on the previous service if it is still there or else the first service in the Favorites?

At least that way people are in the right set of services.
Cheers
Gully

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 16:46

I normally use multiple bouquets so I changed the setting to OFF and ran a scan on the T4 on 19.3.

I exited to LiveTV. It shows as the Favourites bouquet, not Last Scanned. In Menu > Channels it showed my Favourites selections.

If I then press Red it shows All Available services. I assume if I was missing a new or changed channel I could then add it to Favourites, press Blue to reselect Favourites and exit to LiveTV. Job done.

It's not apparent to me that the problem of being left in Last Scanned exists or how it arises. The behaviour I saw seems quite rational. Where it does arise it would seem reasonable to end a scan with selecting a channel.

I agree with the OP that storing and restoring the previous bouquet seems a natural enhancement.

What is unclear to me though is how does this help a user add services to their Favourites bouquet? After all, that is a major reason for doing a rescan.

OT but a bigger problem I had was with the scan itself when I tried to add SBS World Movies.

I did a location scan for Melbourne and added the new SBS service to Favourites. However, I didn't notice that the scan had picked up the Inner Melbourne repeater and all my Channel 10 services in Favourites were reassigned to the repeater without my knowledge. The reception on 10 suddenly became unwatchable.

The Ch10 VHF services were not listed at all despite being found during the Melbourne location scan. Only the UHF versions. I repeated the process to be sure of what was happening. To fix it, I had to manually scan the VHF channel.

Not my favourite segment of the code!
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sat Jul 13, 2019 16:48

Gully wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 16:44
...or else the first service in the Favorites?

That may no longer be a valid service. :|

Gully

Post by Gully » Sat Jul 13, 2019 17:41

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 16:48
Gully wrote:

First valid one then?
Cheers
Gully

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Jul 13, 2019 20:05

Gully wrote:

There is no explicit save of the user's current bouquet. It's just left unchanged until the end of the scan, when it's replaced by Last Scanned if that's accessible as a bouquet.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Gully

Post by Gully » Sat Jul 13, 2019 21:02

prl wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 20:05
Gully wrote:

There is no explicit save of the user's current bouquet. It's just left unchanged until the end of the scan, when it's replaced by Last Scanned if that's accessible as a bouquet.
I misunderstood your last post then.So could there be?
Cheers
Gully

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Jul 13, 2019 22:51

Gully wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 21:02
prl wrote:
Gully wrote:

So could there be what?
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Jul 13, 2019 22:57

Gully wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 17:41
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 16:48
Gully wrote:

First valid one then?

What makes you think there's necessarily a valid service (at all)? ;)

There's actually code in Screens.ChannelSelection to do a last-ditch search for a valid channel in any service (in case time hasn't been set at startup and the current channel isn't a valid DVB-T service: e.g. if it's set to HDMI IN). That code may be usable, or might be adapted to be usable, to find a channel to play in a sensible bouquet as well as to fulfill its original purpose.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Gully

Post by Gully » Sat Jul 13, 2019 23:06

prl wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 22:51
Gully wrote:
prl wrote:
Gully wrote:

So could there be what?
An explicit save of the user's current bouquet.
Cheers
Gully

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Jul 14, 2019 09:36

Gully wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 23:06
prl wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 22:51
Gully wrote:
prl wrote:
Gully wrote:

So could there be what?
An explicit save of the user's current bouquet.

There doesn't need to be. It just needs to not clobber the setting without good reason.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Gully

Post by Gully » Sun Jul 14, 2019 13:49

prl wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 09:36

There doesn't need to be. It just needs to not clobber the setting without good reason.
Fair enough. Just trying to see if that was a way around it.
Cheers
Gully

Return to “Bug Reporting and Feature Requests”