U4: No signal out to TV

Moderators: Gully, peteru

stevef42

U4: No signal out to TV

Post by stevef42 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 22:18

I got my new U4 (with 1TB Drive pre-installed) today and set it up. It worked for a while but now I do not get a signal out to the TV.

Firmware Version: beyonwiz 17.5.20171204 (20170808-63-g18b0673)

When the U4 boots up I get 1/2 a second of vision/sound to the TV then nothing.

One of the last settings I changed was the U4 resolution. I changed it from 1080 to Auto. After I powered the unit off then on again the problem started. If I change the resolution with the TV-OUT button on the beyonwiz remote I also sometimes get 1/2 a second of vision/sound to the TV then back to nothing.

I get a signal/vision/sound on the TV when I use the TV's own tuner so I can confirm it is not the TV and not the aerial signal. I have switched the HDMI cable to other inputs on the TV and get the same problem so it is not the HDMI port on the TV.

My U4 is connected to my home network.
I get full vision/sound/function through my Android phone using the Beyonwiz WizOS App.
I can interface with the U4 via my Windows 10 computer using Chrome Browser. I can stream the U4 to the computer using VLC player.

When I press the record button on the remote the U4 unit gives an message saying there is no HDD or the HDD is not initialised. However when I watch via my Android phone using the Beyonwiz WizOS App the front of the U4 unit says is is recording.

On the front of the U4 unit there is a red $ symbol. What does this mean?

Is there a way to do a full reboot so that I can start again?

Is this unit just a faulty one?

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Re: U4: No signal out to TV

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon Jan 15, 2018 23:27

See here for TV-OUT button operation - viewtopic.php?f=42&t=12153&p=160988#p160988

See the second post in the same topic for information on the "$" symbol in the front panel

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon Jan 15, 2018 23:37

stevef42 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 22:18
Is there a way to do a full reboot so that I can start again?

If you want to start from scratch again, then reload the firmware. I understand the U4 would've come with 20171204, and that's not available for download, but the later 20171230 is. That lastest U4 firmware is here - viewtopic.php?f=56&t=12125
The information on how to install it is in the U4 manual on page 44. It is basically the same as shown in the forum for the 16.1-series, but for the U4 you need to press the power button on the front panel. viewtopic.php?f=45&t=11006

stevef42

Post by stevef42 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 00:11

Thanks for the info Grumpy_Geoff, on the $ symbol and firmware.

For the benefit of any future readers, the U4 unit has come good and this is what transpired:-

I tried one more HDMI port on my TV with the U4 unplugged from the network and with no aerial or jumper connections. The main menu came up this time. (Previously I couldn't even get that to come up on screen either.)

I tried to initialise the HDD but it was not present.

So, I took a quick very careful look inside the unit and discovered the wide cable that plugs into the HDD was not seated properly, hanging half way out. It must have got knocked in transit. Re-seating this seems to have solved the problems.

Now to learn how to use the thing. It's quite a bit different to my old Beyonwiz DP-H1 (which is still going strong)!

Return to “Bug Reporting and Feature Requests”