Queries: Instant Recording & Channel Infobar

Moderators: Gully, peteru

singlefished
Master

Re: Queries: Instant Recording & Channel Infobar

Post by singlefished » Sun Jan 21, 2018 19:27

Tried again and installed fine.... restart GUI.... set up a recording by clicking in the EPG... started recording and showed up fine on infobar.

Tried a second recording by going back to EPG.... clicked record..... crash :(

Crash log attached if that helps???
Attachments
Enigma2_crash_2018-01-21_19-17-11.log
(16.63 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
4 DP's in da house.... New T2 arrived Dec'17!

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sun Jan 21, 2018 21:55

Hi MrQuade,
MrQuade wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 13:20
Sorry to distract from the conversation, but I was wondering how the old DP series timer list differs from the T series timer list that everyone seems to like? People keep talking about the old functionality being better, but I cant see much that is different.
My position is one from genuine ignorance as I tend to just set timers and not worry about them after that.
Sorry for the delay in responding. I have been battling with a very unpredictable Google Home user interface. :(

As others have mentioned the Classic Beyonwiz has a simple to access recording summary screen. Once in that summary screen a user has a number of quick access (and easy to use) controls.
  • The display is a list of running timers with UP and DOWN allowing the user to select the "current" recording. (Yes, the Classic Series only allowed two recordings but the UI was extensible in its design language.)
  • Once a recording is selected a number of actions could be triggered.
    • Press STOP to stop the recording.
    • Press OK to zap to the recording service.
    • Press REC to change the recording name.
    • Press LEFT and/or RIGHT to adjust the recording duration.
    • Press GREEN to lock/unlock the recording. (This is an unknown concept on the T and U Series.)
  • The display shows the currently available disk space for recordings.
There are some other commands that may be helpful on the T and U Series. For example:
  • Display the logs for the active recording.
  • Edit future occurrences of this recording.
  • Delete future occurrences of this recording.
  • Disable/Enable future occurrences of this recording.
I agree that most, if not all of this, can be added to the TimerList screen. If it is intended to adapt the current TimerList screen then I would ask that in the active recording mode it only display active (running) recordings.

Regards,
Ian.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sun Jan 21, 2018 22:04

For those folk who think a picture is worth a thousane words, two pages from the DP-P2 manual.
Attachments
DP_Recording_Information.png
DP_Recording_Control.png

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Jan 21, 2018 22:10

IanSav wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 21:55
... If it is intended to adapt the current TimerList screen then I would ask that in the active recording mode it only display active (running) recordings. ...

As I said earlier today, such a screen already exists on the T series. It's just about what functions are available in it (and on recordings in the normal timer screen).
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Sun Jan 21, 2018 22:13

singlefished wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 19:27
Tried again and installed fine.... restart GUI.... set up a recording by clicking in the EPG... started recording and showed up fine on infobar.

Tried a second recording by going back to EPG.... clicked record..... crash :(
Ah jeez, I'm useless. Updated the zip. So sorry!

singlefished
Master

Post by singlefished » Sun Jan 21, 2018 23:28

adoxa wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 22:13
Ah jeez, I'm useless. Updated the zip. So sorry!
Hahaha - no need to apologize mate, it's part of the process - just glad I can help you out even with my limited skills!

OK.... installed - restart - record from EPG (several events).... didn't crash :)

Didn't have the extra recording events showing up on infobar though, only showed the one event..... do I need to change to another skin for testing?

The number of recording events does show nicely though.... here's some screenshots of the different configuration options when I was testing if they worked.... no problems there, all showed up fine.
Channel name:

Program name:

Channel # + Program name

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Mon Jan 22, 2018 17:39

singlefished wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 23:28
Didn't have the extra recording events showing up on infobar though, only showed the one event..... do I need to change to another skin for testing?
FMW had the four recordings; I had only added the count to easy-skin. I have now made easy-skin a bit bigger in order to show four recordings. You also get two bonus changes: the current bouquet is shown below the picon; and the current event's remaining time is a little bigger (I show both elapsed and remaining and it wasn't big enough when both were three digits). Oh, I've also fixed the channel number when the recording comes from a timer.
Attachments
infobar-recording.zip
(77.72 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
Last edited by adoxa on Mon Jan 22, 2018 23:57, edited 1 time in total.

singlefished
Master

Post by singlefished » Mon Jan 22, 2018 22:26

Thanks adoxa, it's working great mate :)

The little bonus with the bouquet under picon is a nice touch too.

I'm guessing there's no dynamic height setting for the InfoBar - it looks a bit "airy" above the program name when nothing is recording but the space needs to be reserved I guess.... you don't notice it though when there are recordings happening as the space fills nicely.

General question for anybody reading: I've never experienced this before, or maybe just never noticed before.... but check the time vs the program info displayed.... could be a broadcast glitch???

Further info: Changing "to" the channel "from" another channel the program name initially displayed correctly (just for about a second) then suddenly changed to the previous show and is out of whack..... it didn't do it on any of the other channels (only TEN HD) and "The Project" was long ago finished and gone from the EPG display - it did this every time I tried and a restart + reboot hasn't fixed it. Broadcast glitch I suspect but worth mentioning just incase there's something funny going on somewhere. It's OK now at almost 22:30 and Madame Secretary is showing correctly.

Quick question: should this (& cutlisteditor) be uninstalled before any form of update is pushed out across the beta feed???

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Mon Jan 22, 2018 22:40

singlefished wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 22:26
Thanks adoxa, it's working great mate :)
I actually tested it on the box. Makes a difference. :)
I'm guessing there's no dynamic height setting for the InfoBar - it looks a bit "airy" above the program name when nothing is recording but the space needs to be reserved I guess.... you don't notice it though when there are recordings happening as the space fills nicely.
Hm, I'll see what I can do...
General question for anybody reading: I've never experienced this before, or maybe just never noticed before.... but check the time vs the program info displayed.... could be a broadcast glitch???
Yeah, broadcast problem, I think.
Quick question: should this (& cutlisteditor) be uninstalled before any form of update is pushed out across the beta feed???
Best to do so, and bear in mind there's a chance that putting these back could undo part of what the update does.

singlefished
Master

Post by singlefished » Mon Jan 22, 2018 22:58

....just a thought....

graphical recording progress bars in some free space:

singlefished
Master

Post by singlefished » Mon Jan 22, 2018 23:16

adoxa wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 22:40
hahaha - only if you want to change it mate.... it's already working great and I'm 100% sure you've got better things to do!

On a side note.... it's definitely most appreciated what yourself, prl, iansav, peteru, mrquade, grumpy, gully, etc and everybody else who contributes to both front and back end issues that get posted on the forum. Lots of happy campers as a result, myself included :)

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Tue Jan 23, 2018 00:00

singlefished wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 23:16
adoxa wrote:
hahaha - only if you want to change it mate.... it's already working great and I'm 100% sure you've got better things to do!
Done, download the previous zip again.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 00:24

adoxa wrote:
Best to do so, and bear in mind there's a chance that putting these back could undo part of what the update does.
Very definitely you should uninstall the cutlist editor patch, do the update then reinstall. The current update doesn't appear to affect Adoxa's version on reinstall but some online updates overwrite keymap.xml. This results in crashes if you then try to use cutlist editor.

I cheat but I won't describe how here - I've become very practised at restoring after self-inflicted errors.

Paul
Last edited by Paul_oz53 on Tue Jan 23, 2018 01:58, edited 1 time in total.
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

singlefished
Master

Post by singlefished » Tue Jan 23, 2018 00:36

adoxa wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 00:00
Done, download the previous zip again.
Just tested with my finger on the edge of the screen, couldn't find a post-it note on my desk!

Works great.... Many thanks for going to so much trouble :)

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Fri Jan 26, 2018 18:55

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:07
adoxa wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 23:05
I also created a MovieJoin plugin, so the parts can be combined back into one movie (if I feel like it).
I would be delighted to be able to join compatible recordings directly on the T4!
Here it is. As mentioned earlier, it'll only join movies that have been split (i.e. with numbered suffixes) unless you install my multiple selections patch. Even then, it'll happily join anything (that ends in .ts), but that doesn't mean they'll play...

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 21:16

adoxa wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 18:55

Here it is. As mentioned earlier, it'll only join movies that have been split (i.e. with numbered suffixes) unless you install my multiple selections patch. Even then, it'll happily join anything (that ends in .ts), but that doesn't mean they'll play...
Your generosity is much appreciated Adoxa. I look forward to trying it out.

I have also downloaded the multiple selections module but botched the install. I tried running it from a network share. Not a good idea. No immediate damage evident but I'll tidy ìt up and try again.

I take it that the joiner would see the playlist files as a series of files to be joined.
Cheers, Paul
Denon AVR -X2400H

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Jan 26, 2018 21:53

singlefished wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 22:26

Dynamic sizing can be done, but it needs to be in the code - it can't be done just in the skin. However, there are other things at the same height as the recording information in the infobar, so there's not a great deal it can be reduced in height anyway. In the easy-skin-aus-hd skin, you probably want to keep display elements out of the very top of the infobar where the background tapers off to transparent.

I did a re-work of both the live TV and playback infobars in easy-skin-aus-hd and Full-Metal-Wizard a while ago and reduced their heights, and there are tight spots on both of them. Not saying they can't be improved on, but a lot of the easy reduction has been done already.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

singlefished
Master

Post by singlefished » Sat Jan 27, 2018 17:20

prl wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 21:53
Dynamic sizing can be done, but it needs to be in the code - it can't be done just in the skin. However, there are other things at the same height as the recording information in the infobar, so there's not a great deal it can be reduced in height anyway. In the easy-skin-aus-hd skin, you probably want to keep display elements out of the very top of the infobar where the background tapers off to transparent.
Hi prl, adoxas got it revised to be dynamic so I'm guessing it was all done in the code?

I think initially the height had been increased with a static value to accommodate the extra recording info, even if nothing was recording..... It just looked a bit funny to my eyes with all the extra height showing up and no recording progress bars to fill the space. With multiple recordings it looked good though as the empty space was no longer empty and was filled with recording info.

After the last update the height now expands to accommodate the recordings "only" when 2+ recordings are happening, the rest of the time it just stays at regular small height at the normal size.... tested with my finger at side of screen, works good and aesthetically you don't really notice the height change when it's there :)

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Jan 27, 2018 17:54

singlefished wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 17:20
Hi prl, adoxas got it revised to be dynamic so I'm guessing it was all done in the code?

I don't know; I haven't looked at how he's done it, but I don't think it can't be done in the skin.

My preference anyway is for recording progress to be displayed in timer entries in the TIMER/Timer List screen. That means that there are no artificial limits to the number recording progress information that can be shown.

Resizing the infobar in the Full-Metal-Wizard screen can't be done without making the background pixmaps bigger (I needed to do that for the new version of the infobar text EPG for Full-Metal-Wizard). The main body of the background pixmap for the Full-Metal-Wizard infobar is shaded for a "light from the bottom" effect, so it can't be tiled vertically without it looking a bit ugly, even if it's tiled on a multiple of its pattern repeat distance. Even then it's a bit tricky.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

singlefished
Master

Post by singlefished » Sat Jan 27, 2018 18:53

prl wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 17:54
My preference anyway is for recording progress to be displayed in timer entries in the TIMER/Timer List screen. That means that there are no artificial limits to the number recording progress information that can be shown.
Like this or under each event on the right? You could also switch the list to the left and description to the right similar to the MEDIA list....

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Jan 27, 2018 19:23

No, in each each event on the right. Otherwise there is an arbitrary limit on the number that can be displayed.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sat Jan 27, 2018 21:10

Hi Singlefished,

For that screen shot to be a true recording information screen I would also prefer not to see any "waiting" or "done!" recordings in the list.

Regards,
Ian.

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Sat Jan 27, 2018 21:35

prl wrote:
singlefished wrote:
I don't know; I haven't looked at how he's done it, but I don't think it can't be done in the skin.
Changing the size can't be done in the skin; appearing to change the size by conditionally showing/hiding elements can.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Jan 27, 2018 21:38

IanSav wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 21:10
For that screen shot to be a true recording information screen I would also prefer not to see any "waiting" or "done!" recordings in the list.

As I've said several times in this topic, there's already a screen that does that. Perhaps it could be bound to long-TIMER as well as to REC/RED->Stop or change active recording.

If the progress bar was in the timer entry, all the currently running recordings are in the first part of the list, whether waiting timers are shown or not.

Also, the timers that are recording are marked in that list, so why not their progress?

Putting the progress indicator in the (running) timers list*, rather than in any list with a small maximum number of entries, also satisfies the Zero One Infinity rule:
[A]rbitrary limits on the number of instances of a particular entity should not be allowed. Specifically, an entity should either be forbidden entirely, only one should be allowed, or any number of them should be allowed.
* In fact, putting progress bars in the timers list will automatically put them in the running timers list.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Jan 27, 2018 21:40

adoxa wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 21:35
prl wrote:
singlefished wrote:
Changing the size can't be done in the skin; appearing to change the size by conditionally showing/hiding elements can.

Ah. OK. That would work quite cleanly.

But as I've made clear in the topic, I don't think it's the right way to address this problem.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

singlefished
Master

Post by singlefished » Sat Jan 27, 2018 22:18

IanSav wrote:
Hi Singlefished,

Regards,
Ian.
Hi Ian,
Quite correct, I was just thinking out loud and see opportunity to add useful info to the timer screen in some unused screen space.... my skills extend to "snipping tool", "cut and paste" and "Microsoft word"- miles away from being anywhere useful to the development team :)

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sun Jan 28, 2018 01:08

Hi Prl,
prl wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 21:38
IanSav wrote:
As I've said several times in this topic, there's already a screen that does that. Perhaps it could be bound to long-TIMER as well as to REC/RED->Stop or change active recording.
My comment was actually directed to "Singlefished" and the example posted.

(I have no functioning Beyonwiz units so I still can't check out your suggested screen example.)

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Jan 28, 2018 06:20

IanSav wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 01:08
Hi Prl,
prl wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 21:38
IanSav wrote:
... I have no functioning Beyonwiz units so I still can't check out your suggested screen example. ...

There's not a lot to say about it. It's a TimerEditList subclass that only displays running timers, and doesn't allow timers to be added.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:40

For those who've been wondering about what IanSav and I have been talking about on how we'd like to see recording progress shown in the timer list and in an active recordings list, here are some screenshots of both with the same timer list from working prototype code of what at least I was talking about:

Timers list (TIMER from live TV):
timerlist.jpg

Active recordings list (REC/RED>Stop or change active recording while recordings are active:
recordinglist.jpg

I've replaced the time and repeat information in active recordings with the progress bar and time remaining. If it's done that way, perhaps it should also show the start and end times (but not the repetition pattern).

Alternatively, the entries could be made 50% taller to accommodate the progress bar and remaining time in a separate line. That area would be empty (or available for other information) in timers that aren't actively recording.

The prototype also doesn't update the progress in real time (only on recording state changes or by exit/re-enter), but that would be easy to add.

It could probably have a different coloured progress bar for zap timers.

Note that there's no built-in limit on how many active recordings can be shown using this method: even if there are too many to fit in the displayed list, you can scroll up and down to see the rest.

With that done, perhaps the infobar could show a summary progress for all running recordings (measuring from the start of the one with the earliest start time to the end of the one with the latest end time). Or not be there at all :)
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Jan 30, 2018 13:06

Hi Prl,

This is much more like what I would prefer to see. :)

Would it be possible to add a third line with the active recording information? I think there is value in keeping the original recording parameters on the original two line display as well as adding the new active recording data on a new line. One reason for requesting this would be that I prefer to use the -/+ time display where the negative number is the amount of the show already recorded and the positive number is the duration left to still be recorded. This could become very cramped in the current proposal.

This proposal could also allow a range of button presses to adjust the currently highlighted recording. I detailed the main options above. E.g. OK to zap to the selected recording, REC to change the recording name, LEFT / RIGHT to shorten or lengthen the recording time, etc.

For the main infobar I would be quite happy to just see the flashing red REC indicator together with a number representing the number of active recordings. (This would be the same number as provided by Adoxa in his proposal.)

Regards,
Ian.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 13:18

prl wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:40

I've replaced the time and repeat information in active recordings with the progress bar and time remaining. If it's done that way, perhaps it should also show the start and end times (but not the repetition pattern).
Agree - start and end times please. I assume pressing Enter on an item will operate as now.
prl wrote:
Alternatively, the entries could be made 50% taller to accommodate the progress bar and remaining time in a separate line. That area would be empty (or available for other information) in timers that aren't actively recording.
Not keen on expanding the lines but I could live with it.
prl wrote:
The prototype also doesn't update the progress in real time (only on recording state changes or by exit/re-enter), but that would be easy to add.
If it's easy then yes, please.
prl wrote:

Note that there's no built-in limit on how many active recordings can be shown using this method: even if there are too many to fit in the displayed list, you can scroll up and down to see the rest.
Agree - ideally user adjustable in OverlayHD.
prl wrote:
With that done, perhaps the infobar could show a summary progress for all running recordings (measuring from the start of the one with the earliest start time to the end of the one with the latest end time). Or not be there at all :)
Personally, I would prefer a count of recordings. When I want to know which services are recording I currently press Media for the detail.
Denon AVR -X2400H

sub3R
Wizard

Post by sub3R » Tue Jan 30, 2018 13:43

prl wrote:
... perhaps it should also show the start and end times ...
Definitely, I don’t think you should lose that information.

It would be nice to squeeze in there somewhere what tuner is being used for the active recording. That way if something important is shown as being recorded on the unreliable USB tuner C on the T2 it gives one the opportunity to change this (if possible) onto a reliable tuner like tuner A or B.
Dennis
U4, Bluey USB tuner, WizTV > Yamaha RX-V3900 > Sony KDL46X2000 TV ||
U4, Bluey USB tuner > Sony KD-43X85J TV > Yamaha YAS-209 || FTA EPG ||
Harmony 650s || (U4s on 19.3.20200901 & T2 on 19.3.20200823) ||
Technicolor DJA0230TLS modem/router, Ethernet LAN, Win10 Home 64 ||

sub3R
Wizard

Post by sub3R » Tue Jan 30, 2018 13:54

IanSav wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 13:06
... For the main infobar I would be quite happy to just see the flashing red REC indicator together with a number representing the number of active recordings. ...
Ian, perhaps I have misunderstood what you are saying, but I hope you don’t intend to display any less information in OverlayHD to what you already have?

I like what you have done here:

Live-TV-T2.jpg
Dennis

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Jan 30, 2018 14:35

sub3R wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 13:54
IanSav wrote:
... For the main infobar I would be quite happy to just see the flashing red REC indicator together with a number representing the number of active recordings. ...
Ian, perhaps I have misunderstood what you are saying, but I hope you don’t intend to display any less information in OverlayHD to what you already have?

IanSav is suggesting that the recording progress bar in the infobar be replaced by a simple count of active recordings. The capriciousness of what's actually displayed there if there's more than one recording was the starting point for this discussion. The code that does this is also fun because all the non-external symbols in the code have Spanish names. :)

I was suggesting that it could remain, but show the progress through the time span of all currently recording timers (but not show the channel(s)). That suggestion would need new code. Whether the infobar shows the recording progress bar (in the repository code, not in Adoxa's changes) is a choice that's up to the skin designer.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Jan 30, 2018 14:37

Hi Dennis,

I was thinking of dropping the one recording item details and replacing it with the count of recordings. I take it you won't like that. ;)

If that is the case I may just move things left and just add the recording count in as well as the existing data. :)

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Jan 30, 2018 14:42

IanSav wrote:
This is much more like what I would prefer to see. :)

I thought it would be :)

Everyone remember - this is a "this is what might be done" prototype. Even if it is done, it's not necessarily going to look exactly like those screenshots. They're posted to prompt discussion (and seem to gave done it), not as something set in concrete.
IanSav wrote:
Would it be possible to add a third line with the active recording information? I think there is value in keeping the original recording parameters on the original two line display as well as adding the new active recording data on a new line. One reason for requesting this would be that I prefer to use the -/+ time display where the negative number is the amount of the show already recorded and the positive number is the duration left to still be recorded. This could become very cramped in the current proposal.

I'm fairly easy about exactly what is shown in each entry, so long as a reasonable consensus is reached. For those not familiar with the code, the layout of the individual timer entries is somewhat dynamic and that needs to be done in the code rater than in the skin, so choices made here have to work well with all skins (and skin designers).
IanSav wrote:
This proposal could also allow a range of button presses to adjust the currently highlighted recording. I detailed the main options above. E.g. OK to zap to the selected recording, REC to change the recording name, LEFT / RIGHT to shorten or lengthen the recording time, etc.

I think that can be a separate discussion. The display of the entries is well separated from the actions on them. The active recordings list and timer list can also have different control actions, and already do, to some extent.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Jan 30, 2018 15:04

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 13:18
prl wrote:

Agree - start and end times please. I assume pressing Enter on an item will operate as now.
prl wrote:
Not keen on expanding the lines but I could live with it.

I have a slight preference for the two-line layout, too, but it will depend a bit on what people want to put in it. We're already up to: start/end times, time remaining, time elapsed and tuner used, as well as the progress bar. That might all fit, but much more would start to get a bit crowded.

None of the changes I've made (or intend to make) for the recording progress display in the timer list change the user actions on the respective screens.

IanSav has some ideas about what changes he'd like to see, and I think it's a useful discussion to have, but I also think it should be separate from this discussion.
Paul_oz53 wrote:
prl wrote:
If it's easy then yes, please.

It should require no more than a polling timer in the screen class that manages the timer list. Deciding what the poll interval is may be the hardest bit of the design, along with deciding on whether it's worth stopping polling if there are no active recordings.
Paul_oz53 wrote:
prl wrote:

Agree - ideally user adjustable in OverlayHD.

Do you mean the progress bar colours should be skinnable, or is that a reference to the display list itself? The prototype doesn't have skinnable progress bar colours, but I was planning to add them. Other than that, all that needs to be done in the skin is to adjust the size of the list box if the height of the timer entries changes.
Paul_oz53 wrote:
prl wrote:
Personally, I would prefer a count of recordings. When I want to know which services are recording I currently press Media for the detail.

MEDIA is only really good for that if the sort order suits it. We use name A-Z, then time, earliest first, which doesn't work well as "show current recordings".

Is there any support for long-TIMER to show the active recordings list? It's really a bit clunky to get to the recordings list at the moment.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Jan 30, 2018 15:17

sub3R wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 13:43
It would be nice to squeeze in there somewhere what tuner is being used for the active recording. That way if something important is shown as being recorded on the unreliable USB tuner C on the T2 it gives one the opportunity to change this (if possible) onto a reliable tuner like tuner A or B.

It should be possible to do if there's support for the idea.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Tue Jan 30, 2018 16:24

I'm not too keen of having too much information in one place. Sensory overload and all that...

I like the idea of presenting the most useful and concise information in one view and then having an option to "zoom" in to get more detail. This approach can be repeated so that you can drill down to as much details as required.

So, specifically in the timer list, I'd suggest restricting the list view to just a discrete progress bar, without showing the timing details. The entry should be selectable and once you "zoom" in on the entry, you can get the details. The "zoom" could either be in a separate "details" panel on the same screen, or require you to press OK/INFO to get a new screen.

Similarly on the infobar, keep the display simple (perhaps number of recordings) and if the user requires more details they can just press the TIMER button.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Jan 30, 2018 17:56

Here's a 3-row version with elapsed and remaining:
timerlist3.jpg
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

sub3R
Wizard

Post by sub3R » Tue Jan 30, 2018 18:37

prl wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 14:35
IanSav is suggesting that the recording progress bar in the infobar be replaced by a simple count of active recordings.
I was suggesting that it could remain, but show the progress through the time span of all currently recording timers (but not show the channel(s)). ...
IanSav wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 14:37
I was thinking of dropping the one recording item details and replacing it with the count of recordings. I take it you won't like that. ;)

If that is the case I may just move things left and just add the recording count in as well as the existing data. :)
On second thoughts, currently the recording item details with progress bar in the infobar really only works for when one recording is active. If I could toggle through the active recordings with button presses so they change on that line it would be nice, but I haven’t found a way to do that so I’m guessing that option isn’t currently hidden somewhere. So “dropping the one recording item details and replacing it with the count of recordings” wouldn’t be too bad.

Showing the progress through the time span of all currently recording timers could be handy but also a bit confusing unless one knew exactly what it meant. I’m in two minds about how useful it would really be.

Dropping the current recording item details with progress bar would free up some screen real estate on that line. Now if this was a DP series, alongside the count of active recordings could be the LCN for each of those active recordings, but being a T or U series I can’t think of anything useful, apart from possibly “the progress through the time span of all currently recording timers”, that could go there.

prl wrote:
The prototype also doesn't update the progress in real time (only on recording state changes or by exit/re-enter), but that would be easy to add. ...
I think it is important to update the progress in real time (within reason).

prl wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 15:04
Is there any support for long-TIMER to show the active recordings list? It's really a bit clunky to get to the recordings list at the moment.
Yes. I think long press works quite well to get to the ‘next’ menu. But for casual Beyonwiz users, in addition to that I think it should also be able to be accessed via the main menu (press SETUP) that has a description something like ‘Active recordings’.

prl wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 15:17
sub3R wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 13:43
It should be possible to do if there's support for the idea.
Hopefully from all the T2 users who have experienced severe video breakup with the USB tuner, & from those who haven’t ... yet.
Dennis

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Jan 30, 2018 19:33

Hi Prl,

I quite like the three line version. :)

Will this be delivered as a "TemplatedMultiContent" list? If so all the elements could be made available for skinners can draw the list in any way they please. ;)

Regards,
Ian.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Jan 30, 2018 19:38

Hi Prl,

Can I please have a reminder of what function is allocated to long REC? If this is free, or can be made free, I think this more detailed recording list should be hung off the REC button. If long REC can't work then long TIMER will have to be it. :)

Regards,
Ian.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 20:29

Pardon me for not quoting prl - too hard on the phone and I will jump around topics anyway.

Generally speaking, like peteru I prefer the least possible to relay the essential information but not cluttered. So two lines if it's not cluttered. Three otherwise.

Like having the tuner ID too but not essential.

SWMBO wants the progress bars skinnable. Me too.

As we use Harmony 650s, long press timer is not a good option for us but you should ignore me. We use "by name, reverse date" and that is good enough to check the recordings are happening. We use 7 pre, 30 post so we rarely have to adjust recordings.

I liked the sampĺe display. Accessing via Menu>Timers is ingrained habit with us.

The Infobar is already too large in my opinion. We skip back and forth a lot watching sports. It blocks the score line. I think it was MrQuade who suggested a minimalist timeline for watching recordings or live TV. Hence, I only want the count of recordings added to the Infobar.
Denon AVR -X2400H

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Jan 30, 2018 20:36

IanSav wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 19:38
Hi Prl,

Can I please have a reminder of what function is allocated to long REC? ...

A choice of -
Instant recording padded event
Create instant recording...
Save event currently being viewed
Select an event to save...
Stop or change active recording...
Instant recording menu...

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Jan 30, 2018 21:20

Hi Grumpy_Geoff,
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 20:36
A choice of -
Instant recording padded event
Create instant recording...
Save event currently being viewed
Select an event to save...
Stop or change active recording...
Instant recording menu...
Thank you for the reminder. (I am lost without functioning Beyonwiz hardware. I think a fixed T3 may be coming back soon. :D)

Well it would be nice to have this revised recording information screen available in this menu as well. :)

Regards,
Ian.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Jan 30, 2018 21:46

IanSav wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 21:20
Well it would be nice to have this revised recording information screen available in this menu as well. :)

I think it will continue to be, as it's the existing "Stop or change active recording..." screen (and the timer list screen)

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Jan 30, 2018 21:56

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 21:46
IanSav wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 21:20

I think it will continue to be, as it's the existing "Stop or change active recording..." screen (and the timer list screen)

I'm losing count of how many times I've said in this topic that there's already an active recordings screen available from the REC/RED button menu in live TV.

In fact, the last time I mentioned it was this afternoon:
prl wrote:
Active recordings list (REC/RED>Stop or change active recording while recordings are active:
There was even an accompanying screenshot.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

vader1111
Master

Post by vader1111 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 08:27

prl wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 17:56
Here's a 3-row version with elapsed and remaining: