EPG / Screen Freeze with Multiple Recordings

Moderators: Gully, peteru

singlefished
Master

EPG / Screen Freeze with Multiple Recordings

Post by singlefished » Sun Jan 07, 2018 17:13

Hi Guys,

I've searched the forum (probably unsuccessfully) and found several posts about screen freezes so this may well be a known issue or related to a known issue....

This is all based on T2 with all 3 tuners connected and running with the current beta firmware and latest beta feed update from the end of December 2017. Channel Preview Mode: ON, PIG: ON

I was originally going to post about whether there was any ability to utilize a different tuner for PIG in the EPG Preview mode..... it would be good to keep the current timeshift buffer prior to going to EPG and previewing what was on other channels..... once you preview, anything that was built up in the buffer gets the @rse without warning (just the regular buffer from live TV, no chaseplay involved) and is no longer available to view. Utilisation of one of the other tuners for PIG preview (if one was available) would maybe form part of the solution?

Anyway, whilst I was playing about with PIG and preview settings to see if this was something I could resolve myself I thought.... "How does the PIG preview react if the 3 tuners are all recording from different networks (7, 9 & 10 say) and you click on ABC in the EPG for preview?"

The reaction was a freeze up with the EPG disappearing and the last image shown on the PIG filling the screen as a static image with channel info sitting at the bottom of the screen for the ABC channel you were trying to preview. Changing channel with the remote puts you back onto one of the network channels you are currently recording and the T2 seems to be running as normal without missing a beat essentially.... no crash logs, no issues with the recordings and no further consequences as far as I could gather....

Like I mentioned, it maybe a known issue and obviously caused by the lack of an available tuner.... maybe a popup stating all tuners are in use and preview is not available at this time..... couldn't find anything in the bug tracker about it, only a bug related to EPG/timeshift issue #584 along the same lines to the point I was originally intending to raise.
4 DP's in da house.... New T2 arrived Dec'17!

prl
Wizard God

Re: EPG / Screen Freeze with Multiple Recordings

Post by prl » Sun Jan 07, 2018 17:46

I don't think that it's been reported before. I can certainly imagine that trying to change the EPG PiG to a new broadcast frequency when there are no tuners available to do it could cause problems in the firmware.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sun Jan 07, 2018 18:23

Yes, I do agree purely from a wording point of view. I've mentioned before about the misleading nature of calling it "preview" mode.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Jan 07, 2018 19:00

"Preview" describes what it's for, but not how it's implemented.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

singlefished
Master

Post by singlefished » Sun Jan 07, 2018 19:13

I can see what you're saying @MrQuade about calling it preview mode..... it's effectively a regular channel change within the EPG environment as timeshift buffer is not preserved. Exiting the EPG from a previewed channel is another channel change back to the original.

After years on the DP it was a bit confusing for me when the T2 first arrived and I was playing/learning/changing settings all over the place.... I initially couldn't work out why it would flip back to the original channel when I pressed exit on the EPG :oops:

Happy to report I've got my head around it now though :)
4 DP's in da house.... New T2 arrived Dec'17!

dRdoS7
Wizard

Post by dRdoS7 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 04:53

Hi,
prl wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 19:00
"Preview" describes what it's for, but not how it's implemented.
"View" would better describe what it's for, unless the T in T2, T3, or T4 stands for TARDIS. Except if you happen to be recording those that are being "Previewed".

I may be missing something because I could never understand why you would want to see what's on another channel when viewing the EPG. If you do happen to see something interesting, it's too late to record anyway.

dRdoS7

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Jan 09, 2018 07:49

dRdoS7 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 04:53
I may be missing something because I could never understand why you would want to see what's on another channel when viewing the EPG. If you do happen to see something interesting, it's too late to record anyway.

I suspect it's for the few people remaining who watch anything other than sport live :)
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Return to “Bug Reporting and Feature Requests”