Have the issues with picture break up with USB tuner been resolved?

Moderators: Gully, peteru

raj
Master

Have the issues with picture break up with USB tuner been resolved?

Post by raj » Mon Nov 13, 2017 13:28

G'day,

I have a T2 and have the dreaded picture break up when the USB tuner is used for any more than a few minutes.

I received the offer to pre-order the T4, but notice that it also provides the 4th tuner via the USB tuner.

The question is whether it is worthwhile upgrading or is it a case of out of the frying pan, into the fire?

Are there any other USB tuners that are compatible?

Thanks

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: Have the issues with picture break up with USB tuner been resolved?

Post by MrQuade » Mon Nov 13, 2017 13:38

raj wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 13:28
I received the offer to pre-order the T4
I'll assume that you mean the U4.

There is a massive thread about the USB tuner breakup on the T2 here if you haven't looked already.

If you look towards the end of that thread you will see reference to USB tuners that utilise the Realtek RTL2832U chipset as being better performers. You can have a look into getting one to see if it helps your situation with the T2. I am not sure what brand the U4 will come with, or even if it will suffer from similar issues, given that the drivers will be completely different.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Mon Nov 13, 2017 14:42

MrQuade wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 13:38
raj wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 13:28
I received the offer to pre-order the T4
I'll assume that you mean the U4.

There is a massive thread about the USB tuner breakup on the T2 here if you haven't looked already.

If you look towards the end of that thread you will see reference to USB tuners that utilise the Realtek RTL2832U chipset as being better performers. You can have a look into getting one to see if it helps your situation with the T2. I am not sure what brand the U4 will come with, or even if it will suffer from similar issues, given that the drivers will be completely different.

My advice would be to specify that the item MUST contain the Rafael Micro R820T tuner, NOT a Fitipower FC0012 or Elonics E4000 tuner. There's a whole swag of Realtek RTL2832U & R820T DVB-T Tuners being offered on ebay, many (or most) of which do NOT have the Rafael Micro R820T tuner.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

raj
Master

Post by raj » Mon Nov 13, 2017 15:12

Thanks for the tips.

I did come across the thread mentioned, but was taking a bit of time to try and sort through things.

Thanks again.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon Nov 13, 2017 15:18

raj wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 15:12
Thanks for the tips.

I did come across the thread mentioned, but was taking a bit of time to try and sort through things.

Thanks again.

Start from page 11 then.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Nov 13, 2017 15:19

The USB tuner that came with my test U4 is detected by the kernel as "ITE 9135(9006) Generic", which seems to be the same as the other tuners that I have from Beyonwiz. The new tuner is silkscreened "beyonwiz," which wasn't on the older tuners as well as "MINI DVB-T TERRESTRIAL," which is on both the old and newer tuner.

I don't know what USB tuners will provided with production U4s.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon Nov 13, 2017 16:22

prl wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 15:19
The USB tuner that came with my test U4 is detected by the kernel as "ITE 9135(9006) Generic", which seems to be the same as the other tuners that I have from Beyonwiz. The new tuner is silkscreened "beyonwiz," which wasn't on the older tuners as well as "MINI DVB-T TERRESTRIAL," which is on both the old and newer tuner.

I don't know what USB tuners will provided with production U4s.

My 'problematical' "ITE 9135" USB tuner dongle has both "beyonwiz" and "MINI DVB-T® TERRESTRIAL" silkscreened on it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but given the belief that the ITE 9135 driver is the cause of the issue that some folks in some broadcast markets encounter when using this dongle, and that a new ARM-based architecture will mean new drivers that are required, isn't it the case that no one should be worried yet about tuner compatibility.

Cheers
Geoff

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Nov 13, 2017 17:18

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 16:22
Correct me if I'm wrong, but given the belief that the ITE 9135 driver is the cause of the issue that some folks in some broadcast markets encounter when using this dongle, and that a new ARM-based architecture will mean new drivers that are required, isn't it the case that no one should be worried yet about tuner compatibility.

My impression is that the U4 reception on the USB tuner is better than on other models. My test setup has very poor signal strength, and the U4 reception seems to work better all round (both inbuilt and USB tuners).
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Return to “Bug Reporting and Feature Requests”