T4 pauses on show (previous day), hard to bring back to life

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Master

T4 pauses on show (previous day), hard to bring back to life

Post by 000 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:51

Hi folks.

I'm getting "difficult pauses" (which looks like a freeze) when watching live TV. It's nearly impossible to get 'out' of the paused state, once in it.

It seems to manifest when turning on the TV (the Bwiz is already running), and generally if you then hit 'rewind', to see an earlier part of the channel that was already on (in this case, channel 9 Perth, 60 Minutes).

At this point, the current show freezes (pauses), and looks like the attached picture

We don't use PiP, in case anyone is about to ask that. It's on a Beyonwiz T4 with the latest firmware.

The Bwiz T4 reports that you're watching a show from the night before (top left corner of the screen). But the actual vision is the "live" current program.

E.g. in this pic you'll see the show/vision from when the pic was taken (namely 60 minutes - Shark story - live on Sunday night), but the show info (top left) says it's a movie from the night before (Saturday night), roughly 24 hours earlier. The Bwiz hadn't been used to watch any shows in the intervening time window (between Saturday night and Sunday night). It would have recorded a few shows, but that's all. So this "rewind" action would have been the first action a human manually asked for, from the Bwiz, for that sitting.

There is no way to fast-forward, rewind, or otherwise un-pause it, once it's in this state. The exit button doesn't work either (all these options give the "can't do" / "option not available" icon). The only option (besides power-cycling) is to press MENU, and go to the media/recordings list, and actually play something else briefly (pick a random show, and watch 1 second of it). Then exiting that recording un-pauses the live broadcast.

We've had this occur at least half a dozen times (that I've noticed). Any ideas on what's behind this?

Cheers,
D.
Attachments
shark-with-d1ck-and-jane.png
Current show paused, but says it's content (movie) from day before.
(U4 & V2 Owner, each with a Play TV USB tuner, and a now-retired T4)

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: T4 pauses on show (previous day), hard to bring back to

Post by MrQuade » Mon Feb 27, 2017 13:09

000 wrote: There is no way to fast-forward, rewind, or otherwise un-pause it, once it's in this state. The exit button doesn't work either (all these options give the "can't do" / "option not available" icon). The only option (besides power-cycling) is to press MENU, and go to the media/recordings list, and actually play something else briefly (pick a random show, and watch 1 second of it). Then exiting that recording un-pauses the live broadcast.
What about pressing STOP (to exit timeshift mode), or changing channel?

There is definitely something odd going on there, and it seems like your EIT data and timeshift data is getting corrupted somehow.
What version (date) is your firmware at the moment?

Also, this is unrelated to your issue, your TV looks like it might be set to overscan at the moment, and your T4's GUI is not scaling/centred properly. If possible, switch your TV to a per-pixel scaling mode, and then go into MENU->Setup->System->OSD position.
Even if your TV doesn't have a per-pixel setting, you can still change the OSD position to get rid of that bar of video below your Infobar, and make sure all of the GUI fits your screen better.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Feb 27, 2017 13:20

Also, do you regularly put your T4 into shutdown/standby mode, or do you leave it in the "on/running" state?

From the looks of the screenshot, it thinks that the shark show has been on for 22 hours or so. It's like your T4 isn't seeing the EIT and isn't properly marking the beginning and end of each show.

Master

Post by 000 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 13:45

"Stop" doesn't work. "Exit" doesn't work. "Play/pause" doesn't work. Channel Up/down, or pressing channel numbers doesn't work. It is literally just the "Menu" button that gives you a life-line to escape this viscous loop.

No other button (other than menu) appears to respond. All other keys give the 'invalid key' icon on-screen (so they still respond). It's just the Bwiz T4 is 'trapped' in a loop, which only can be escaped with the menu key.

Firmware from the About screen reports as 'last upgrade 2016-08-18'. Tried updating again, but reports no updates available.

I'll double-check the over-scan. In this "frozen"-looking state, it might be mucking up the GUI a little. But I can confirm that the little bar of video at the bottom is done intentionally. Otherwise it feels like part of the GUI is being cut-off, if it goes right to the edge. So leaving a little bar of video shows that that is the end of the GUI =>. So I'm happy with that (just not happy about the freezing-like behavior!).

Cheers.
D.

Master

Post by 000 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 13:51

MrQuade wrote:Also, do you regularly put your T4 into shutdown/standby mode, or do you leave it in the "on/running" state?

From the looks of the screenshot, it thinks that the shark show has been on for 22 hours or so. It's like your T4 isn't seeing the EIT and isn't properly marking the beginning and end of each show.
The Bwiz lives contiunously in 'alive' mode, never sleeps. We have a power timer set to restart it once a week (on a Tuesday).

The information on screen is usually correct. But when it's in this 'frozen-like' state, that information shown will be incorrect. Basically, it'll be from the last time we used the Bwiz (e.g. the night before).

When we leave the Bwiz "the night before", we don't turn off the Bwiz at all... The TV / sound system gets turned off, and we can see the screen [front panel] on the Bwiz chugging along, changing with each show as normal.

Cheers.
D.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Feb 27, 2017 14:06

000 wrote:
The Bwiz lives contiunously in 'alive' mode, never sleeps. We have a power timer set to restart it once a week (on a Tuesday).

The information on screen is usually correct. But when it's in this 'frozen-like' state, that information shown will be incorrect. Basically, it'll be from the last time we used the Bwiz (e.g. the night before).
Ok, that's something interesting then.

If the Wiz is never put to sleep, or if the channel is not changed, then the number/size of timeshift files will increase pretty much forever. If the channel is changed, or the Wiz is put into standby/shutdown, then the timeshift files get deleted and started over fresh.

How full is your T4's harddisk at the moment? Is it possible that you have been filling the disk up with timeshift data and it gets stuck when full?

That still wouldn't fully explain why your screenshot shows that the shark show had been running for the last 22 hours or so, but perhaps weird stuff happens when you run out of room.

Have you by any chance tinkered with the "Reload EPG" setting? (If so, that setting should not be enabled normally).

Master

Post by 000 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 15:23

Hi folks.

Running with 25% of 2TB free (500GB free) at a minimum. I'll double check re that 'Reload EPG Setting', just in case.

Ta.

paullings
Master

Post by paullings » Mon Feb 27, 2017 17:32

This has also happened on my T3. Unfortunately I can't give the steps that caused the pause as the last time was over a week ago.
Sometimes waiting for a few minutes the T3 will start to respond but I have also had to reboot using the rear power switch.
I'll take note next time it happens.
55% disk free.
EPG Cache reload is set to off.
Robert

U4 2TB (Jan 2018) 19.3.20211010 , HDMI
T3 1TB (Dec 2014) 19.3.20211010 , Front Panel 20057, HDMI, Warkus'd 2018 & still going
IceTV, Series2Folder, OverlayHD 1.70
Samsung 55"OLED TV, Apple TV, ReadyNAS 214, Sonos Arc, Harmony Ultimate One
Windows 10

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Mon Feb 27, 2017 18:04

MrQuade wrote:you have been filling the disk up with timeshift data and it gets stuck when full?
This.

There's a bug in the bug tracker for this already. I find it easier to put the box to standby or free some HDD space rather than debug this one. Volunteers are encouraged to roll up their sleeves and look into this.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

Master

Post by 000 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 18:27

Hey folks.

Pic attached of current EPG settings - feel free to advise any changes there =>.

df command confirms 25% free space (smudge under 500GB)

pts_livebuffer and timeshift files, which I imagine have been running all day uninterrupted, are sitting at 38.4GB each.

All feedback appreciated...
Attachments
epg-settings.png
Current EPG settings on T4

Master

Post by 000 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 18:51

Fixed the over-scan issue (thank you for noticing), and reset the OSD to fit within the registration markers of the background pattern on the OSD setup screen. Ahh, that's better =>

OK, more info on this glitch...

"Back" button does have an effect (different from "Exit", which has no effect). Gives you a bit of control back, but not much else.
"Play/Pause" definitely gets things into a loop / almost-totally-locked-up state. Avoid this button after a long time with time-shift running unattended!
"Record" works! (to break the loop) -- It asks if you want to record the current program. I did this just now, so it asks me if I want to record the program that was running since last night. In this case, Sunday night's "Lethal Weapon" (even though it's Monday, and the News was the current program on screen) . So it certainly does look like it's related to the time-shift.

I then stopped the recording, resulting in new large recording (you guessed it, 38GB in size), called Lethal Weapon. So that's pretty much as expected.

Naturally, new time-shift recording files were then created, starting from scratch again, so that's behaving as expected.

This issue seems to be repeatable (after a long time-shift session has been running). So happy to run more tests (say, in 24 hours)...

Hope this helps diagnosing... Hopefully I don't need to resort to setting a power-time for each morning (reboot) =>.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Feb 27, 2017 19:18

000 wrote: Pic attached of current EPG settings - feel free to advise any changes there =>.
You EPG cache reload setting is enabled. You need to turn that off as I mentioned earlier It is most likely not doing what you probably think it is doing. It is basically of no use to you, and is more than likely resulting in your EPG getting wiped out on a regular basis.

Based on your screenshot and the timestamps from your previous screenshot, I assume that you are using IceTV?

I use IceTV as well, but choose to enable the "Show EIT now/next in Infobar". This will give you more accurate start/stop times in the Infobar straight from the broadcaster, but will have slightly different show descriptions to the ones provided by IceTV (and that will mean that some of the Event search features will work a bit differently, since the search will no longer match IceTV names/descriptions with the EIT names/descriptions)

Also, do you regularly leave your T4 in timeshift mode? Or do you disengage it with STOP (or by changing channel) when you want to return to Live TV?

The common thing that appears to be happening to you is that you end up with a giant timeshift file.
After you have rebooted your T4, can you have a look at your timeshift file. Can you see if it is working correctly and starts creating a new timeshift file for each show, or does it just start making a new giant timeshift file with no breaks in it?

I am not sure if that EPG reload setting might also be confusing your T4 as well. If the EPG reload happens at a time and does something that prevents the T4 from realising a show has ended, which could be resulting in that big timeshift file from being created.

It doesn't look like you are running out of disk space, as you should have about 10 days of storage there.

As PeterU says though, it is a good idea to put the T4 into standby when you aren't using it, if only to allow the timeshift buffer to clear and allow the harddisk to spin down for a rest every now and again :).

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Feb 27, 2017 19:53

You may also want to consider changing the setting for "Keep old EPG for minutes". Mine is set to 60, minutes so that I can see what show was *just* on that I might have missed ;)

Something that just occurred to me too, tge EPG Save setting is not really needed either if you are using IceTV. You can turn that off too.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon Feb 27, 2017 20:46

MrQuade wrote:
000 wrote: Pic attached of current EPG settings - feel free to advise any changes there =>.
You EPG cache reload setting is enabled. You need to turn that off as I mentioned earlier It is most likely not doing what you probably think it is doing. It is basically of no use to you, and is more than likely resulting in your EPG getting wiped out on a regular basis.
For sure.
MrQuade wrote: Based on your screenshot and the timestamps from your previous screenshot, I assume that you are using IceTV?

I use IceTV as well, but choose to enable the "Show EIT now/next in Infobar". This will give you more accurate start/stop times in the Infobar straight from the broadcaster, but will have slightly different show descriptions to the ones provided by IceTV (and that will mean that some of the Event search features will work a bit differently, since the search will no longer match IceTV names/descriptions with the EIT names/descriptions)
I'm pretty sure that enabling "Show EIT now/next in Infobar" whilst using an IceTV EPG can result in disrupted timeshift buffers if there are transmission glitches.
I'm sure that prl has posted advising against that setting in an IceTV world.
MrQuade wrote: I am not sure if that EPG reload setting might also be confusing your T4 as well. If the EPG reload happens at a time and does something that prevents the T4 from realising a show has ended, which could be resulting in that big timeshift file from being created.
That was my thinking too as soon as I saw the reload setting was enabled.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Feb 27, 2017 21:01

Grumpy_Geoff wrote: I'm pretty sure that enabling "Show EIT now/next in Infobar" whilst using an IceTV EPG can result in disrupted timeshift buffers if there are transmission glitches.
I'm sure that prl has posted advising against that setting in an IceTV world.
It's no different to enabling it with IceTV disabled if I recall correctly.

Master

Post by 000 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 22:37

Thanks MrQuade (and others)...

OK, "EPG Cache Reload" is now disabled.

Yes, sorry, I use IceTV.

"Show EIT now/next in Infobar" is now enabled.

We don't usually use time-shift mode. The only occasion would be if we turn on the TV, happen to see something of interest, and want to rewind a little, to see the start of the program. As it has usually run, we've found the rewinding super-quirkly, so seldom used it. (It was a pot-luck bingo, as to whether it worked or not).

Yes pressing STOP button to exit time-shift mode.

Now, having made those changes (disable 'EPG Cache Reload') and without rebooting mind you, rewinding works a treat! My goodness what a difference! I rebooted anyway, all seems great now.

I've also updated the 'Keep old EPG for minutes' setting.

Yes, I can confirm that there are more time-shift (separate) files being created now. So that all seems brilliant now.

Can I suggest that the 'tool tip' / help text be updated for the 'EPG Cache Reload' to reflect it's unstable / unpredictable results (i.e. "leave this setting off") or similar?

Thanks for all the great advice & help fixing this issue =>.

Master

Post by 000 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 22:54

PS: That "Lethal Weapon" recording I mentioned earlier (time-shift, saved today) -- we thought it only went back to last night, e.g. about 24 hours?

Well, just had a look in it's folder (as I have Series2Folder installed)... and guess what I found?

It saved recording files (same general name, but different date prefix) going back weeks (back roughly 1 month, to January 29th)... So it's like it had a big buffer of "saving" to do, and it "spilled its guts" finally now that someone finally asked the Bwiz to save it's time-shift buffer. Go figure!

PS2. In regards to saving the hard disk from wear-and-tear (by putting into stand-by mode)... I've got an SSD installed.

Cheers,
D.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Feb 27, 2017 23:00

000 wrote: PS2. In regards to saving the hard disk from wear-and-tear (by putting into stand-by mode)... I've got an SSD installed.
That would make it even more important to put the box into standby. Every gigabyte that the Wiz is writing to the SSD will be using up its limited number of flash write cycles.

Edit: mind you. I realise that you said the disk is 2TB in size, so reaching the requisite number of write cuddles on a SSD that size could take some time ;).

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Mon Feb 27, 2017 23:45

write cuddles
Is that something that Trevor might be into? :lol:

Blog.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:28

000 wrote:PS: That "Lethal Weapon" recording I mentioned earlier (time-shift, saved today) -- we thought it only went back to last night, e.g. about 24 hours?

Well, just had a look in it's folder (as I have Series2Folder installed)... and guess what I found?

It saved recording files (same general name, but different date prefix) going back weeks (back roughly 1 month, to January 29th)... So it's like it had a big buffer of "saving" to do, and it "spilled its guts" finally now that someone finally asked the Bwiz to save it's time-shift buffer. Go figure!
I'm not quite sure exactly what you mean from what you've posted. Do you think that Series2Folder contributed to the hang? If so, can you give some more details about why you think so?
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:46

000 wrote:...
Can I suggest that the 'tool tip' / help text be updated for the 'EPG Cache Reload' to reflect it's unstable / unpredictable results (i.e. "leave this setting off") or similar?
The setting description says:
EPG cache reload
Enable to regularly replace EPG data with the contents of the EPG cache file. Used to import EPG from external sources.
The text was updated last June from:
Automatic refresh
Enable to allow the Beyonwiz Tx to read stored EPG data regularly.
The intention was to make it clearer what it did and to discourage people from switching it on without a compelling reason (like downloading the EPG from some source other than the broadcast or IceTV (e.g. an EPG constructed from an XMLTV source, though I don't think there's anything that will do that for you). The old text was certainly quite uninformative about what it does.

I was unsure at the time that it was worded strongly enough to discourage it from being enabled inappropriately, and perhaps it isn't.

However, I don't think "leave this setting off" is appropriate (I'd suggest that removing it would be a better alternative to that). A straight-out warning about it causing instability is, I think, likewise incorrect, because it has a real intended purpose.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Feb 28, 2017 14:16

Hi Prl,

You could add something like this to the description:
This option should only be used by users whose EPG data is obtained offline or via external updates.
Regards,
Ian.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 14:28

As the option applies to epg sources other than fta and IceTV, it would be clearer if it said:

"Enable to refresh external epg data from sources other than IceTV or the FTA guide."

Cheers, Paul
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Feb 28, 2017 14:29

Paul_oz53 wrote: "Enable to refresh external epg data from sources other than IceTV or the FTA guide."
At the time we debated if it was appropriate to mention IceTV specifically by name as it is a 3rd party service. The outcome was "don't mention IceTV".

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Feb 28, 2017 14:36

Hi Paul,
Paul_oz53 wrote:As the option applies to epg sources other than fta and IceTV, it would be clearer if it said:

"Enable to refresh external epg data from sources other than IceTV or the FTA guide."
In addition to MrQuade's reply please remember this area of the code is shared by builds that know nothing about IceTV.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Feb 28, 2017 14:48

IanSav wrote:Hi Paul,
Paul_oz53 wrote:As the option applies to epg sources other than fta and IceTV, it would be clearer if it said:

In addition to MrQuade's reply please remember this area of the code is shared by builds that know nothing about IceTV.
The messages are in setup.xml, which has already deviated quite a bit from what's in upstream builds, and, for example, this particular message is already quite different from what's in the OpenVix build, which remains quite similar to the original message in the Beyonwiz code:
OpenViX wrote:Automatic refresh
Allows the Make Model to read the stored EPG data regularly.
Given that both the setting name and the description in the Beyonwiz code differs from upstream builds like OpenViX, changing it once more to clarify it seems to me to not raise any further compatibility issues at all.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Feb 28, 2017 15:30

Hi Prl,

An even better option may be to hide the setting if IceTV or the FTA EPG is in use.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Feb 28, 2017 15:48

IanSav wrote:...
An even better option may be to hide the setting if IceTV or the FTA EPG is in use.
That that's a good idea, but that at the moment there's no way to do a requires="not config.a and not config.b" in setup.xml. The "Reload every hours" EPG sub-setting would need to have requires="not config.a and not config.b and config.c".

Perhaps in your reworking of Setup.py?

Added: technically, there are 7 config variables that need to be tested, one of which may not exist in the firmware:
config.epg.eit
config.epg.mhw
config.epg.freesat
config.epg.viasat
config.epg.netmed
config.epg.virgin
config.plugins.icetv.enable_epg
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 15:54

prl wrote:
That that's a good idea, but that at the moment there's no way to do a requires="not config.a and not config.b" in setup.xml. The "Reload every hours" EPG sub-setting would need to have requires="not config.a and not config.b and config.c".

+1!!!!!!!!!
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Feb 28, 2017 21:55

Hi Prl,
prl wrote:

Added: technically, there are 7 config variables that need to be tested, one of which may not exist in the firmware:
config.epg.eit
config.epg.mhw
config.epg.freesat
config.epg.viasat
config.epg.netmed
config.epg.virgin
config.plugins.icetv.enable_epg
The way I have seen this done elsewhere in the code is to create some logic in UsageConfig.py that sets a SystemInfo variable. Then use the created SystemInfo variable to trigger the setup.xml "requires" attribute.

Regards,
Ian.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Wed Mar 01, 2017 00:07

IanSav wrote:hide the setting if IceTV or the FTA EPG is in use
When you look at the bigger enigma2 picture, EPG is a complex beast. Believe it or not, we're actually in a fairly good position here in Australia. It's simple. All our services get a well defined EIT based EPG as part of the broadcast. We don't actually need IceTV for EPG. Other parts of the world are a lot more complex and getting a full EPG for all of their services is a Herculean task involving many sources and formats - some are even encrypted/obfuscated.

As subsequent posts show, trying to impose some kind of user interface limitation is not simple. Neither is it desirable when you take the bigger picture into consideration. The default setting will result in correct operation and if a user fiddles with the option without reading and understanding the description, then they only have themselves to blame.

In the future, these settings will also have a dependency on the fallback receiver and an option to have a passively shared EPG cache is also coming. Bottom line is - don't f?c{* with this setting. Both at the user level and in the code.

Blog.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:45

peteru wrote:... don't f?c{* with this setting. ...
While I agree with this at the user level, I don't think the current description discourages unnecessary fiddling with it enough. The message probably shouldn't follow that text, but I think it should be more discouraging of "set it and see what happens" than it is currently.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

tgal1
On probation

Re: T4 pauses on show (previous day), hard to bring back to life

Post by tgal1 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:37

Hi all,
I have a related problem on my brand new T4 with brand new WD purple drive installed running 2017-03-10 firmware. Even a reinstall of firmware did not fix it. It appears to only occur when you rewind live tv. It does not occur all the time either, so is hard to explore in more detail. It can occur shortly after switching on, or after many hours of working fine. I have a job logged with Beyonwiz DTC but they are asking for more detailed info on when it occurs before they investigate. I have posted a short video of it, (see link below) showing what does and doesn't work when it freezes.
video link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8tvMC ... pBSUE/view
Regards
TGAL

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:50

That is a bit odd!

What version of firmware are you running? There is the older 4.4 series, and the newer 16.1 series?

If running the new 16.1 series, did you remember to not restore settings if you were previously running the 4.4 series?
Have you tried new firmware and just running with default settings for a while to see if there is something up there?

I suspect that it is the 16.1 firmware, because I can see that your TV appears to be overscanning in the EPG (the first part of the work "Today" is missing on the left hand side). You should set your TV to its per-pixel mode (maybe called "just scan" since you have a Samsung).

Also in your video, you point out that the timeshift goes missing when you change channel then change back. That part at least is expected behaviour. If you change channel, the timeshift will be cleared and started over. Also, the timeshift buffer will not start up until you have been on a channel for a few seconds, so if you change channel, then immediately try to timeshift, it will not work, you need to wait a few more seconds.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:53

tgal1 wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:37
... I have a job logged with Beyonwiz DTC but they are asking for more detailed info on when it occurs before they investigate. I have posted a short video of it, (see link below) showing what does and doesn't work when it freezes. ...

I have the same question. It's more useful to know what steps you took that got you into the state than some blurry video and indistinct dialog about what the problems are once you get into the error state. If there's some way to force the error, it's much easier to investigate.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:54

MrQuade wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:50
That is a bit odd!

What version of firmware are you running? There is the older 4.4 series, and the newer 16.1 series?
tgal1 wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:37
... brand new T4 with brand new WD purple drive installed running 2017-03-10 firmware. ...
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:57

Whoops! Right there in the first line!

My comments about the previous versions and restore settings still stand tho.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Jun 17, 2017 13:06

MrQuade wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:57
... My comments about the previous versions and restore settings still stand tho.

"[B]rand new T4 ... running 2017-03-10 firmware" strongly suggests "never ran any earlier firmware", but it would be good to have that confirmed.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat Jun 17, 2017 13:08

It also might be handy to enable logging, and then try to induce the fault again, or just wait for it to happen.
That may give some hints as to what went wrong.

tgal1
On probation

Post by tgal1 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 15:46

MrQuade wrote:
That is a bit odd!

If running the new 16.1 series, did you remember to not restore settings if you were previously running the 4.4 series?
I'm running 16.1 firmware. I have only ever run this version as when i first setup the box I immediately updated to the latest firmware. I followed firmware update instructions to the letter both times, including not to restore settings.
MrQuade wrote:
Have you tried new firmware and just running with default settings for a while to see if there is something up there?
I don't believe I have, I'll give this a go too - good idea, thx.
MrQuade wrote:
I suspect that it is the 16.1 firmware, because I can see that your TV appears to be overscanning in the EPG (the first part of the work "Today" is missing on the left hand side). You should set your TV to its per-pixel mode (maybe called "just scan" since you have a Samsung).
Thx, I was wondering how to fix this. I'll give it a try.
MrQuade wrote:
Also in your video, you point out that the timeshift goes missing when you change channel then change back. That part at least is expected behaviour. If you change channel, the timeshift will be cleared and started over. Also, the timeshift buffer will not start up until you have been on a channel for a few seconds, so if you change channel, then immediately try to timeshift, it will not work, you need to wait a few more seconds.
Yes, you are right. I didn't word this part very well. My intent was twofold - first to add additional info that might be relevant to the problem, and second to spell out the consequences of this freezing bug - i.e. that it renders timeshift useless when it freezes because you have no way to unfreeze it (that i'm aware of) without wiping the timeshift buffer by either changing channel or power cycling.

Return to “Bug Reporting and Feature Requests”