U4 software reload - obsolete remote

Moderators: Gully, peteru

rocketman
On probation

U4 software reload - obsolete remote

Post by rocketman » Sat Oct 01, 2022 08:19

I've had my U4 for about four years now (when it was the only bw available) and it came with the old (BR-01?) remote. A couple of years ago this remote began to fail and I purchased the only available replacement remote suitable for the T's and U4. So she was happy again.

Recently there have been having problems with zapping, and channel changing via the EPG. So I chose to reload the software from https://beyonwiz.com.au/downloads/. It was Version19.3-beyonwizu4-20191106_usb.zip. (The only one available) I also printed the 'how-to' guide on the same page. I used an old USB stick as was suggested in the how-to and all went well until I reached the point where the reload requested "Do you want to RESTORE your old settings or CONTINUE with setup.

Unfortunately, my replacement remote did not function, so I stoked up the old BR-01 remote with new batteries but this failed to operate probably because the OK button was cactus. And none of the directional buttons functioned either.

OK, now, what do I do? I download the app but the OK on the remote tab also did not work. So, what can I do? Is there a way around this dilemma?

I suppose I could run and hide, but I have to eat tonight... Hhhmm,...
In anticipation of a quick recovery, Thank you so much, just for being there.

Warren

prl
Wizard God

Re: U4 software reload - obsolete remote

Post by prl » Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:57

If your U4 is networked, you may be able to answer "yes" in that setup screen by using the on-screen remote in the OpenWebif Web page. Just type beyonwizu4 into the address bar of your computer's (or tablet's) Web browser and the OpenWebif page on the U4 should open. There's a rudimentary on-screen remote in the left-hand column that has enough functionality to answer "yes" to restoring the settings. If you enable "Capture screenshot" under the remote, you can get a screenshot in the web browser after each remote button you click on.

BTW, while the U4 remote looks superficially like the old BR-01 and BR-02 remotes, the U4 remote's button layout is different and the remote code set it sends is completely different from the older remotes. Getting a second-hand BR-01/02 remote won't help you with similar future problems.

Although the V2's remote looks completely different from the U4's, it does send the same code set as the U4 remote, if you want to try to get a non-U4 remote that will work with the U4.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Sat Oct 01, 2022 17:13

rocketman wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 08:19
It was Version19.3-beyonwizu4-20191106_usb.zip.
That is well old, here's the current.

maverick#1
Apprentice

Post by maverick#1 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:25

Hi Warren,

I don't know if you got this sorted out or not. Hopefully prl's suggestion worked.

If not, does anyone know if it would be safe to plug in a USB keyboard at this point? I know you're supposed to unplug all USB devices prior to a firmware upgrade, but after the upgrade has been completed (i.e. after you get a message saying you can remove the USB with the firmware on it and restart the PVR), would you then be safe to plug a USB keyboard into the U4? Warren should then be able to select 'Restore' or 'Continue' with the keyboard, shouldn't he?
Beyonwiz U4 (FW 19.3, Build 20211010)
Beyonwiz V2 (FW 19.3, Build 20211010)
Beyonwiz T3 (FW 19.3, Build 20191106) [No longer used - power supply cap problem]
Beyonwiz DP-P2 (FW DPP2-01.07.350)
Beyonwiz DP-Lite i (FW DPLite-01.07.350)

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:54

I don't know whether my suggestion helped, but the last posts in the topic were more that 3 months ago :)
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:13

maverick#1 wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:25
If not, does anyone know if it would be safe to plug in a USB keyboard at this point?

Yes, good idea, using a USB keyboard will work at that point. On a standard keyboard UP/DOWN can be used to move between the options. On the wireless keyboards sold by Beyonwiz, the UP/DOWN arrows around the OK button can be used to move between the options. On either keyboard ENTER can be used to make the selection. The OK button on the wireless keyboards can also be used to make the selection.

ENTER/OK needs to be entered again to continue with a setup restore, if that is selected.

There's enough information displayed on the front panel to even do it without having a TV screen attached.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

softtoytrev
Apprentice

Post by softtoytrev » Thu Jul 20, 2023 15:50

Hi Peter,
You directed me to this thread earlier today, to assist me to get out of the settings problem that I am having with my U4.
This above thread suggested that I connect a USB keyboard to the U4, I have now got hold of and connected the keyboard, and can now report that I have progressed through the rest of the setup with no problems. Thank you very much for helping me up to this stage.

My remote was working 3 days ago, however since I have done the factory reset, the remote has now stopped working. I am using the keyboard which allows me to select channels only, with fast forward, fast rewind and sound adjustments from the keyboard only.

The Beyonwiz remote does not appear to be talking to the PVR, the TV and STB button lights up when I press any key on the remote.

Do you have any suggestions of what I can do to get the remote working again.

Trev

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Jul 20, 2023 16:20

softtoytrev wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 15:50
Thank you very much for helping me up to this stage.

Thanks for your thanks, but it was adoxa who suggested using a USB keyboard to get through the initial startup. I suggested using OpenWebif, which you aren't in a position to use.
softtoytrev wrote:
The Beyonwiz remote does not appear to be talking to the PVR, the TV and STB button lights up when I press any key on the remote.

Which Beyonwiz remote are you using? Is it this one: https://beyonwiz.com.au/product/beyonwi ... e-control/ ?
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

softtoytrev
Apprentice

Post by softtoytrev » Thu Jul 20, 2023 16:40

The remote that I have is in the attached image below. You will see that it is a lot thicker that what you were asking about.
Attachments
2023-07-20 16.00.35.jpg

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Jul 20, 2023 17:09

softtoytrev wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 16:40
The remote that I have is in the attached image below. You will see that it is a lot thicker that what you were asking about.

No, that's exactly the remote I meant.
softtoytrev wrote:

That doesn't sound like normal behaviour for that remote. When you press a button on the remote, either the STB or TV LED should flash, not both, if that's what you mean. The STB LED (and only that LED) should flash when the remote is sending codes to control the PVR.
softtoytrev wrote:

Try pressing the STB button, then one of the other remote buttons. Does only the STB LED flash now? When you point the remote at the U4 and press a button, does the U4's power LED briefly flash purple?
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

softtoytrev
Apprentice

Post by softtoytrev » Thu Jul 20, 2023 17:25

Hi Peter,
Nothing happens much, however I think that pressing the STB button and the 6 Key, has started a red circle (moving in a clockwise direction) that is chasing its tail just to the left of the channel. Other than that I don't see any changes.
Trev

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Jul 20, 2023 17:50

softtoytrev wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 17:25
Nothing happens much, however I think that pressing the STB button and the 6 Key, has started a red circle (moving in a clockwise direction) that is chasing its tail just to the left of the channel. Other than that I don't see any changes.

I don't think you've answered my basic questions. And I'm not sure what you meant by "however I think that pressing the STB button and the 6 Key, has started a red circle". Did you press them at the same time?

The red spinner to the left of the channel name indicates that a recording is being made. If timeshift is enabled, the timeshift recording will start by itself a few seconds after the box startup finishes. It's probably a coincidence that you noticed it start after you pressed STB and (then?) 6. Pressing 6 will normally change channel to that channel number (after the channel change popup times out) if it's a valid channel number.

Also: when you say that both the STB abd TV LEDs flash when you press a remote button, do you mean that they flash at the same time when you press any bermote button (apart from TV or STB)?

And when you press buttons on the remote (other than STB or TV), does the power LED on the front panel of the U4 flash briefly purple?
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Jul 20, 2023 18:02

One more question: have you saved settings on the U4 since starting to use the replacement remote?
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

softtoytrev
Apprentice

Post by softtoytrev » Thu Jul 20, 2023 18:41

Hi Peter,
Sorry for any confusion, I was wrong with my last answer, it appears as though the remote is not communicating with the PVR.

My statement "however I think that pressing the STB button and the 6 Key, has started a red circle (red spinner)" was incorrect, I was confused.

Only when using the keyboard, pressing any of the channel buttons across the top of the remote does display the channel number for several seconds before the PVR switches to the new channel.

I can get the channels to change using the keyboard, but nothing on the remote works, even the on/off button does not work.

To clarify, when I press anything on the remote when in STB mode, then only the STB button flashes, or if I press the TV button by itself, then everything that I press on the remote causes the TV button to flash.

No, the Power LED does not flash when using the remote.

I hope this makes sense to you.

Trev

softtoytrev
Apprentice

Post by softtoytrev » Thu Jul 20, 2023 20:15

No I have not saved the setting since we got through the bootup procedure.
I usually do, but I have not yet.
Trev

softtoytrev
Apprentice

Post by softtoytrev » Fri Jul 21, 2023 09:57

I have been unable to save the current settings because the remote is not communicating with the PVR any more.

A lot of electronic equipment often has a feature that works when you hold the on/off button down plus holding down a second key at the same time
it would be good if that function was available for interfacing a different remote to the equipment. Holding down both keys you would think that the remote would scan through all the different frequencies until it finds a match, then it would be a case of job done?
Trev

blip
Master

Post by blip » Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:40

prl wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 17:09
softtoytrev wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 16:40

No, that's exactly the remote I meant.

The remote in the attached image is different to the image of the remote in your link.

softtoytrev
Apprentice

Post by softtoytrev » Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:45

Ok

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:10

softtoytrev wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 20:15
No I have not saved the setting since we got through the bootup procedure.

That doesn't answer the question I asked. Perhaps I wasn't specific enough. Have you saved the settings between when you started using the replacement remote and when you recently reloaded the U4 firmware?
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

softtoytrev
Apprentice

Post by softtoytrev » Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:02

Hi Peter,
No, I have not done it myself at any stage, unless the repair shop did. When using the keyboard I could not use the remote, and couldn't find how to do it using a keyboard? Hope this helps clarify.
Trev

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:49

softtoytrev wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:02
No, I have not done it myself at any stage, unless the repair shop did.

OK, then when you restored the settings (if you did restore them, I'm now not sure from your posts whether you did in fact restore them), the restored settings would have "restored" the remote code set to its original value, which would be for the original U4 remote's codes. It would be the same if you didn't restore the settings after you reinstalled the firmware.
softtoytrev wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:02
When using the keyboard I could not use the remote, and couldn't find how to do it using a keyboard? Hope this helps clarify.

In the topic you originally posted in, I've posted the keyboard equivalents to enough remote buttons for you to be able to navigate into the settings and check (and if necessary, change) the remote code settings using a standard USB keyboard.

BTW: it's usually not a good idea to split discussion of a single problem over multiple topics, it makes it more difficult to follow. I'll reply to any further of your posts about this issue in your original topic, not here.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Return to “Official Firmware Images”