Over the air updates

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Over the air updates

Post by 2353 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 21:11

Hi folks,

Is it normal for a Beyonwiz T2 to effectively freeze up and display a image similar to a software update spinning circle in the middle pf the screen? My T2 has been doing this every week or so for the last month or two. If the unit is doing anything at the time, it continues to do it - however it is unresponsive apart from that.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Re: Over the air updates

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sun Jan 16, 2022 21:19

No, it's not normal for the "spinner" to be regularly shown and the Wiz to be non-responsive to the remote ("freeze up").
What firmware version is the T2 on?

Post by 2353 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:18

Thanks for the response. I suspect that the firmware is old (2016 something) so I'm trying to upgrade it. The over the air one says its downloading but goes nowhere after than so I have downloaded the firmware from the Beyonwiz site to a USB, removed the USB cable for the third tuner, turned the unit off, installed the USB, turned it back on and it takes a bit of time but goes straight back to the tv station it always starts on.

Yes, the USB stick is formatted to FAT32 (on a Mac running Mavericks) doesnt have any past updates on it (I only bought it this morning) and the whole system is annoy the whatevers out of me at the moment.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:34

Did you extract the firmware such that the beyonwiz folder is at the top/root level of the thumb drive?
Is the thumb drive a USB1.1-compatible one (e.g. many USB3 drives aren't)?
No update prompt shown on the TV? If it is shown, did you observe that it tells you to press the front panel channel UP button (you've only got about 8-10 seconds).

Post by 2353 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 14:02

The folder has a different file title and I held the front channel up button from when I turned the unit back on until the TV started without seeing an update prompt The file downloads with another name as the folder (which I renamed) but the USB stick is USB2. I'll have to find an older one!

I'll tell you how I go. Thanks again for the help.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Jan 17, 2022 15:07

2353 wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 14:02
The folder has a different file title

What is the folder title? Did you extract the ZIP file's contents, or are you relying on the fact that Windows Explorer can browse inside the ZIP file and see the contents? The ZIP file has to be extracted onto the top level of the USB drive.
2353 wrote:
and I held the front channel up button from when I turned the unit back on until the TV started without seeing an update prompt

I'm not sure whether doing it that way will work. The usual way to do it is to power on the T2, wait for the TV screen prompt to press the UP button, and then press the UP button on the front panel.
2353 wrote:
The file downloads with another name as the folder (which I renamed)

The ZIP file should download as beyonwiz-19.3-beyonwizt2-20211010_usb.zip, but its name is really unimportant except to confirm that it is the update that you wanted. You need to extract the contents of the ZIP file onto the top level of the USB stick, and that should extract a single directory called beyonwiz. Don't rename that directory name, or any of the files inside it.

It would probably be more useful if you posted what the file names are that you can see or have renamed, rather than things like "different file title" or "another name ... (which I renamed)". The details can be important.
2353 wrote:
but the USB stick is USB2. I'll have to find an older one!

The important thing about the USB stick is that it is compatible with USB1.1. Whether it is also USB2 or USB3 compatible doesn't matter, but you are right that older USB sticks are more often USB1.1 compatible than newer ones, though there are some new USB3-compatible USB sticks that are also USB1.1 compatible.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Return to “Official Firmware Images”