Time for a updated Production Release?

Moderators: Gully, peteru

stevebow
Master

Time for a updated Production Release?

Post by stevebow » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:03

It has been over a year and a half since an official update. Any thoughts on another release? Presumably this will need an official ok from BW?

prl
Wizard God

Re: Time for a updated Production Release?

Post by prl » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:32

It needs Jai to decide on a production version and make it available on the Beyonwiz Downloads page.

I'd suggest, though, that right now isn't a good time to do this. I think it should wait until the WIN/SCA regional picons changes have settled down mid-August.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Gully

Post by Gully » Sat Jul 10, 2021 15:36

In the meantime, I hope you are using and enjoying the latest beta release as it is proving to be very stable so far.
Cheers
Gully

stevebow
Master

Post by stevebow » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:25

prl wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:32
It needs Jai to decide on a production version and make it available on the Beyonwiz Downloads page.

Does someone needs to approach Jai? Does he lay in bed and think one night, well, it's been a while?
I'd suggest, though, that right now isn't a good time to do this. I think it should wait until the WIN/SCA regional picons changes have settled down mid-August.

Fair enough. I was just wondering.

stevebow
Master

Post by stevebow » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:30

Gully wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 15:36
In the meantime, I hope you are using and enjoying the latest beta release as it is proving to be very stable so far.

I don't mind installing beta software on my play boxes/devices, but I'm a little reluctant on my "staple" devices. Though I if you and prl and other BW veterans recommend it, I may do so. But if the current or recent beta is acceptably reliable, high time to push it to production IMHO.

Gully

Post by Gully » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:39

stevebow wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:30
Gully wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 15:36

I don't mind installing beta software on my play boxes/devices, but I'm a little reluctant on my "staple" devices. Though I if you and prl and other BW veterans recommend it, I may do so. But if the current or recent beta is acceptably reliable, high time to push it to production IMHO.
Well as already posted, it isn't our decision. And the firmware is always being updated and developed so ignoring the beta feed just means you miss out on the each update and improvement.

By all means, use some caution - check on the forum first or wait a few days to so see how the changes are received but go for it.
Cheers
Gully

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:20

stevebow wrote:

I run betas on our "in use" T4. I simply wait a couple of days after the beta is available to see whether anyone grumbles about it on the forum, and if not, then install.

I've rarely needed to roll back.

But it shouldn't be like that and I agree that an official release is long overdue.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:31

Every one of my Wiz's is on the beta feed.

I will usually update one of my secondary ones first to make sure the update applies and the box reboots correctly afterwards, and then, passing that basic test, I immediately apply to all the others.

I don't recall ever encountering a serious issue that was inherent to the update that wasn't addressed within an hour or two.

I always back up the settings prior to updating a device, and if things were to go truly pear shaped, I know that the last USB beta image is always available.

The risk factor is very very low.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Jan
Master

Post by Jan » Wed Jul 14, 2021 13:26

stevebow wrote:

I too usually share your reluctance to jump on the first runs or betas of anything. I had been on the latest official version since purchase of my V2. However, the other day I bit the bullet and installed the beta. USB update went smoothly, and the only issue was that I needed to set up my Network again. So I will be ok with regular beta updates from now on. However, I will probably still give them a few days for others to be the guinea pigs!! :lol:

Just on the update, I must say that the only difference I see or notice is the strength and quality bars, and some new channel picons. I guess most of the changes happen "under the bonnet" and just make things run better and with less issues.
Regards
Jan

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Jul 14, 2021 13:40

Jan wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 13:26
I guess most of the changes happen "under the bonnet" and just make things run better and with less issues.

There have been more than 50 updates to the code since the last official release. Probably many more when updates to plugins and lower-level support libraries are taken into account.

There have been 12 public beta releases in the same time.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Return to “Official Firmware Images”