T4 Firmware 19.3 Audio issue

Moderators: Gully, peteru

glenncol
Apprentice

T4 Firmware 19.3 Audio issue

Post by glenncol » Mon Jun 29, 2020 15:02

Hi all

My T4 was recently updated from 17.5 to 19.3 and have come across an issue, I have found that recordings with the new firmware had a decrease in sound volume. We have to increase the sound volume to almost 3/4 when watching the new recordings. I had a whole heap of recordings still on the hard drive done pre firmware update and watching any these we have to decrease the volume to just above 1/4 volume, Live TV appear s to be fine volume-wise.

Any ideas?

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: T4 Firmware 19.3 Audio issue

Post by MrQuade » Mon Jun 29, 2020 15:27

This is odd. Recordings, should just contain the audio as it was broadcast. The T4 doesn't alter the audio data when it writes it to disk.

This rings a bell with another problem that was posted here. In this instance, the audio volume on recordings was apparently lower than what was heard during live viewing. That report didn't make much sense either, but I am wondering if there is a link here.

Purely speculating, this might be possibly due to a combination of a couple of things.

The new T4 firmware has improved sound code that can downmix Dolby and DTS content into multichannel PCM audio.

You might see a difference in volume if the new recordings are defaulting to a different audio track to what was being used in pre-19.3 recordings.

What audio tracks do you have available in your odd sounding recordings? If multiple, what do you hear when you switch between them.

Also, what sound equipment are you using? If your audio equipment falsely advertises a surround sound capability, it may be trying to process a multichannel audio signal improperly now with the new firmware.

This change in recording volumes is not something that pops up for most users. That one other report is the only one I can think of that suggests there might be something odd happening.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

glenncol
Apprentice

Post by glenncol » Mon Jun 29, 2020 15:44

Hi Mr. Quade
What audio tracks do you have available in your odd-sounding recordings? If multiple, what do you hear when you switch between them.
To be honest only what was recorded on the channel at the time
Also, what sound equipment are you using? If your audio equipment falsely advertises a surround sound capability, it may be trying to process a multichannel audio signal improperly now with the new firmware.
The byonwiz is only connected to a Sony x95G 65"
This change in recording volumes is not something that pops up for most users. That one other report is the only one I can think of that suggests there might be something odd happening.
Yeah its bloody strange, as mentioned the TV recordings done pre-update are fine

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Jun 30, 2020 00:40

glenncol wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 15:44
To be honest only what was recorded on the channel at the time
Sorry, the wording of my question was pretty vague :)

I meant to say, if you recordings have two separate audio tracks, is there a volume difference between the two if you switch between them.
glenncol wrote:
The byonwiz is only connected to a Sony x95G 65"
If it is just going to the TV speakers, this is what makes me wonder if it is a multichannel issue we are looking at.

How about on services with a Dolby audio track such as the commercial HD stations? How do they sound live vs recorded?
How do they sound when you either enable or disable the Dolby downmixing setting?
glenncol wrote:
Yeah its bloody strange, as mentioned the TV recordings done pre-update are fine
That's the bit I am trying to work out too. The only thing I can think of, is that perhaps the ones recorded earlier are defaulting to the "other" audio track, hence my other questions about what happens if there are more than one, and if there is a difference in volume between them.

mkwilson
Master

Post by mkwilson » Tue Jun 30, 2020 17:21

I'm experiencing the same issue after upgrading the firmware, but only on SBS HD (as far as I can tell).

For me anyway, the low volume issue is on the AAC-HE audio track. Switching to the MPEG track returns the volume to a more normal level.

My pre-update recordings default to the MPEG track. My post-update recordings default to AC3 on that channel.

For the OP, hit the 'AUDIO' button on your remote. You should then be able to choose among the available tracks.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Jun 30, 2020 17:48

This could be a coincidence too.

SBS have recently switched to broadcasting their descriptive audio service on the aac audio track. This may just happen to coincide approximately to the date some users have upgraded.

This has just been recently discussed in another thread where I pointed out that some people's devices have been defaulting to the aac track where others haven't noticed this.

It may be a factor of what other "preferred audio" settings the user may have selected in the past.

Return to “Official Firmware Images”